• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOMA | Review Thread

In their AMA, the devs mentioned stuff like play styles, and the game "is not just about figuring out "hide or run?", but to understand how they work"

You didn't feel the game had that?

Honestly, I thought I figured maybe one thing out, from one or two of the monsters, but ultimately I just ran and hide. I'm sure most will do the same. Also my play time was 7 hours according to steam. Granted I feel I'm on the faster side of that spectrum then most.

gjcXtT8.png

I really hope those streaming/recording SOMA for an audience prioritize their own enjoyment. It's a narrative-driven game, not a screamfest.

Well, do you think Markiplier will get more views if he properly investigates and gives interesting feedback on the game, or if he shrieks and screams into the camera and shouts "OHMYGOD! WHAT WAS THAT? THIS IS SO SCARY THIS IS SO CREEPY IAMSOSCARED! THIS IS THE SCARIEST GAME I'VE EVER PLAYED!" for twenty five minutes?

Have they ever released a physical game? I'm genuinely curious now.

Amnesia: TDD got a physical release in Europe, as I recall. Not sure about any of their other games.

BiggNife

Any information on how long this game is? I might pick it up if its finishable in a weekend after 100%ing MGSV. Otherwise itll have to wait a bit.

Seems to be 10-12 hours judging by reviews. Gamespot beat it in 10, IGN in 12, Kotaku in 11.

Koobion

These high scores are great, but what's even more exciting are the summaries a lot of the reviewers are giving. The events from the game are sticking with them, and that's exactly what I was hoping this game could deliver! Can't wait.

Yesterday, I was confident that I could get an acceptable experience just from watching a playthrough of this game on YT.

Today, Steam Wallet -$26.

Such is gaming.

I don't normally play horror games but I make exceptions from time to time; dead space and until dawn. This sounds like the story is damn good so I might make an exception.

Yes! Wanted another game like this after Alien Isolation. So looking forward to this.

Basically it's much like that experience but due to the shorter play time, the pacing and story beats hit much quicker and faster and it doesn't overstay it's welcome. :D

Fractal

Banned
Glad to see the reviews are positive... should be done with Mad Max in a day or two, then it's straight onto SOMA!

Aurongel

Frictional are horror masters at this point, their games are just designed so well at this point to stir your fears in both presentation and gameplay. I've seen their influence in almost every horror game I've played in the past 5 years.

Seeing my favorite horror dev tackle my favorite horror themes (AI, cosmic horror) makes me super pumped.

Osahi

Damn, now i want to play this game, allthough I'm sure i won't be able to finish it due to it being to stressfull

Luq

Right now I'm way too scared of any horror games to even give this one a try. I was hyped when this was announced but after playing Outlast: Whistleblower my nerves are so frkin damaged I'm not even thinking about installing horror games in near future :( YouTube gameplays here I come...

Frictional are horror masters at this point, their games are just designed so well at this point to stir your fears in both presentation and gameplay. I've seen their influence in almost every horror game I've played in the past 5 years.

Seeing my favorite horror dev tackle my favorite horror themes (AI, cosmic horror) makes me super pumped.

I think Amnesia was one of the progenitors horror Let's Plays on YouTube, and similarly helped revive the genre as a whole.

Can't wait for this. I'm going in totally blind besides the basic premise. This'll be a nice reward after my hard-as-fuck physio psych exam tomorrow

Our reviewer reckons it's different to what you may be expecting, but that's no bad thing. It's not necessarily scary, but it's very thought-provoking.

SOMA PS4 Review - 8/10

SOMA's an interesting release that succeeds and stumbles in areas that we didn't expect it to. Indeed, given the developer's track record, we'd anticipated a terrifying title – but while it has its eerie moments, it's a bit of a disappointment as a horror game. Where it's more successful is in its ability to depict the moral challenges of AI, and this subject matter results in some of the tougher decisions that we've seen in a game for a while. The plot is compelling, the presentation is generally very good, and the conclusion is outstanding. But all of these achievements will be tempered if you're looking for the kind of scares that defined Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/soma

EDIT: Beaten! XD

Catdaddy

Basically it's much like that experience but due to the shorter play time, the pacing and story beats hit much quicker and faster and it doesn't overstay it's welcome. :D

Sold, for this and the reviews popping up; Alien Isolation was probably my GOTY last year, but was a bit on the long side, so this sounds right up my alley. Thanks for the insight Slasher!

When does it appear on PSN? Just checked the website, not even listed as coming soon, but it's on their Blog.

Can't decide which version to get.

PS4 - Huge screen, the missus and I experiencing it together
PC - Nice graphics/controls, headphones to really get immersed

Sold, for this and the reviews popping up; Alien Isolation was probably my GOTY last year, but was a bit on the long side, so this sounds right up my alley. Thanks for the insight Slasher!

When does it appear on PSN? Just checked the website, not even listed as coming soon, but it's on their Blog.
From Twitter
PS4 players - SOMA will be out at midnight tonight in your local timezone!

Yep. There is hardly a dull moment. Story beats, events, scares, and great pacing.

Top Bottom