• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some Cardinals Fans Get Ugly In Clash With Ferguson Protesters

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbug617

Banned
g5mwk2zivagdwubykbgp.jpg

We start off with a bang. At about the 22-second mark, an old white Cardinals fan begins telling the protesters—all of whom appear to be black—that they need to get jobs. He looks right in the camera, proudly, and says, "That's right! If they'd be working, we wouldn't have this problem!"
At about the 1:30 mark, the crowd of Cardinals fans begin drowning out the protesters' chants with a "Let's go Cardinals!" chant. Well, they could be saying worse things...
At the 2:40 mark, they start saying much worse things. The "Let's go Cardinals!" chant has turned into a "Let's go Darren!" chant. Cool.
At 8:10 one of the Cardinals fans calls one of the protesters a "crack head" and tells him he needs to go see a dentist.
At 8:50 the "Let's go Cardinals" chant starts up again.
At 9:05 one of the Cardinals fans starts telling one of the protesters that if he ever "saw him in the street" he would "look at the ground." They argue for a bit about who would and would not whip whose ass.
At about 10:25 a small blonde lady starts yelling at the protesters: "We're the ones who gave all y'all the freedoms that you have!"
At about 12:14 an older female Cardinals fan begins telling the man holding the camera, who claims he is a former Marine, that she doesn't believe he is a veteran. The conversation does not go well for her.
At 14:54, the Cardinals fans start in on a very loud "USA! USA! USA!" chant.
At 16:07, another Cardinals fan begins yelling at the protesters, telling them that they need to get jobs.
At 16:43, a female Cardinals fan begins chanting "Africa! Africa! Africa!" at the protesters.
At 17:10 a Cardinals fans tells the protesters that they need to remove their hats and pull up their pants.
http://deadspin.com/cardinals-fans-get-ugly-in-clash-with-ferguson-proteste-1643282285

Video on the site

Camp Lo

Banned
Mob mentality turns people into complete dickheads, not that they probably weren't one already but still.

AkuMifune

Banned
Hah! I assumed the Arizona Cardinals must have played the Rams this weekend. Would have made more sense to me that people from Arizona would pull this crap.

Sorry Cardinals fans, it's the other Cardinals fans who suck.

Finally my intense hate for the St. Louis Cardinals is objectively justified.

And I finally have a reason to root for the Dodgers.

Opiate

The dog whistles are reaching levels audible to the human ear, by the way.

"We're the ones who gave y'all the freedoms you have!"

...who the fuck is "we're"?

And why did they start yelling "Africa! Africa!" at the protesters? I can't imagine what they're talking about. I can't think of any possible implicit subtext to this confrontation.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Expresses discontent regarding the generalization of a sect of people by generalizing about a sect of people.

Opiate

It just made them brave.

Sometimes. Mob mentality can get people do engage in behaviors they would not otherwise do without immediate, overwhelming peer pressure.

Or at least, that's what psychological studies have suggested.

Kill3r7

Not surprising... this sort of behavior is has been the norm in my experience in any and all stadiums I've ever been to me in my life. That said, it doesn't make it any less reprehensible.

Expresses discontent regarding the generalization of a sect of people by generalizing about a sect of people.

Dude, I'm a Cardinals fan, but don't even try and play any passive aggressive "you're just as bad if you generalize Cardinals fans as racist."

This is some vile shit being spewed by these Cardinals fans, and denouncing that should be far far more important to you than the reputation of Cardinals fans in general.

Reading the headline I thought Arizona Cardinals fans were taking divisional shit talking to the next level.

Completely forgot about the baseball team.

Lord Fagan

It's absolutely heartbreaking when this kind of stuff gets a spotlight put on it. I completely understand it, and realize that it's necessary, but this is my home. I love Missouri, but things like this paint a grotesque picture for people that make them judge the whole state very harshly. I have friends and extended family that give me shocked looks when I try to explain that not everyone there is like this. I'm almost full blood Irish, and I'm totally on the side of Michael Brown and the the marginalized black community. These problems are systemic and have a long history, but I love my home no matter what.

Still, this kind of pain is sometimes worse than the disappointment that my state spends thousands of dollars annually to keep a camera on Rush Limbaugh's bust at the state capitol for fear of vandalism, or that there are psychopath teenager grandsons of state legislators who still get to go to college after they leave their date rape victims in their own front yard to freeze and burn their house down when they complain. I know that nowhere is perfect, and that this is very much a national problem, a cultural problem. But it hurts me greatly because of how much my home means to me. This shit is inexcusable. It's instiutionalized, community ignorance and hate.

I'm all for freedom of speech, and I'm extremely wary of anything resembling thoughtcrime in a free society. But I get the feeling that St. Louis has become a very glaring microcosm of conflict between the deluded, mid-twentieth century views of a dying cultural hegemony and the very prescient twenty-first century reality that is refusing to buckle against the clear, self-evident hypocrisy of the past. I know this is the path to change, but it really hurts to watch it unfold real-time in my own back yard. I don't feel lucky to bear witness to this moment in history. It's just tragic. It's cultural poison, and it's in the air no matter where you go, now.

The dog whistles are reaching levels audible to the human ear, by the way.

And why did they start yelling "Africa! Africa!" at the protesters? I can't imagine what they're talking about. I can't think of any possible implicit subtext to this confrontation.

their southern drawl couldn't pronounce the northern town of Attica New York correctly it only sounded like bigoted language.

Gamerloid

At about 10:25 a small blonde lady starts yelling at the protesters: "We're the ones who gave all y'all the freedoms that you have!"
... After taking it away... You shouldn't have to give freedom, it should belong to everyone to begin with.

What a not smart thing to say. One group of people has been discriminated, abused, and treated like lesser people by society as a whole just because of the color of their skin for hundreds of years and the other group is being generalized because they are acting like what you would expect from the people who do the discriminating and abusing. It is bad for any team to have the people from that video associated with your team even if they are just fans.

Opiate

This is like one of those conversations where everyone keeps making puns about "doing it" and "being hard" and "getting off" without ever actually saying out loud that you're talking about sex, and in theory someone could insist they didn't understand the subtext.

"We gave you your freedom! Africa! Africa! There wouldn't be a problem if you'd all get jobs! "

All without ever explicitly acknowledging that this was a bunch of old white people chanting at a whole bunch of black people.

BFIB

This is like one of those conversations where everyone keeps making puns about "doing it" and "being hard" and "getting off" without ever actually saying out loud that you're talking about sex, and in theory someone could insist they didn't understand the subtext.

"We gave you your freedom! Africa! Africa! There wouldn't be a problem if you'd all get jobs! "

All without ever explicitly acknowledging that this was a bunch of old white people chanting at a whole bunch of black people.

Reminds me when TLR came in and Ozzie was on the team.

Dash27

Actively not mentioning the forest despite the trees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom