• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some Destiny 2 microtransaction loot gives you low-level gear

Destiny streamer KingGothalion was inspecting the possible contents of Bright Engrams, which can be purchased for Silver, Destiny's real-money currency, at microtransactions store Eververse.

The possible contents of Bright Engrams include the following:

- Ability cooldown armour mods: "Chance to contain an armour mod that decreases the cooldown of one Arc, Solar, or Void subclass ability." Can affect Super, grenade, or melee abilities.

- Character stats armour mods: "Chance to contain an armour mod that slightly enhances a character stat." Can affect resilience (increases shield HP), mobility (increases movement speed), or recovery (shields regenerate faster).

- Weapon stats armour mods: "Chance to contain an armour mod that slightly enhances the weapon stats of an equipped Primary, Energy, or Power weapon." Can affect handling (equip speed), stability (recoil strength), and reload speed (obvious).

- Elemental weapon mods: "Chance to contain a weapon mod that changes the element of an Energy or Power weapon."

destiny2microtransactions.png

destiny2silverbrightengrams.png

pcgamesn

zewone

Are these mods unobtainable in-game?

This sounds like something being blow our of proportion without proper context.

Important to note. You also get the as rewards during the game as well as Everytime you level after hitting the cap. They are not just purchasable.

OldMuffin

So glad I didn't give into the peer pressure and didn't preorder this cause I was expecting bullshit like this to appear in the game. So ya it's been fun destiny but I guess this might be where we part ways :(

TyrantII

Are these mods unobtainable in-game?

This sounds like something being blow our of proportion without proper context.

Nothing new here.

Special event/verse armors with hardcoded cooldown abilities were available in D1. In game there was always armor that did the same, just not the same look.

These mods are not exclusive to Eververse.

Aizo

Banned
If everyone buys the DLC, then nobody's got an unfair disadvantage. I don't see the problem.

People are always so ready to become irate about DLC stuff. Seems like it'll turn out okay.

Strakt

You get them for free in game though; why are people complaining?

lol @ the first couple posts in this thread

Skatterd

This is just stuff you get for leveling up normally. They've already done microtransactions on the same level or worse for D1 tbh

All of the people who said this wasn't coming despite Bungie continually pushing the envelope on what Silver could affect in-game... LOL. I'm looking at you, Destiny-GAF. This was always their end game and people who believed otherwise we're being purposefully naive.

Kalentan

There's no level cap? How does the xp curve work after 20?

It probably does like what Guild Wars 2 did originally (before it was removed) wherein it was basically getting the last level over and over again but with no actual level increase.

That's just speculation.

Well thanks but no thanks. I was already so-so on the PC beta, now I'm out. I personally don't understand the full extent of the implications, but at a glance it doesn't look a good thing.

Lothars

It sounds like the same thing as the loot boxes in D1. Where it will give you equipment that is exclusives to the boxes but the perks and everything else is the same as other equipment. Maybe a issue will be changing elements on a weapon but I'm thinking it will be possible to get the boxes in game by doing certain activities like D1.

All of the people who said this wasn't coming despite Bungie continually pushing the envelope on what Silver could affect in-game... LOL. I'm looking at you, Destiny-GAF. This was always their end game and people who believed otherwise we're being purposefully naive.
I know it's cool to shit on destiny but if you actually do some research, you can get the items in game without paying .

Z3M0G

When we say it may contain a "armor mod" or "weapon mod", do we mean it may contain a weapon with such a mod, or is this a stand-alone mod and we attach it to a weapon of choice?? Is the gear system that different this time around?

Edit: or are there new Mod slots on the character?

This is no different than D1. Stop blowing it out of proportion. The game relies on armor for cooldowns, etc so these would have to offer the same thing as what you can get in game normally. It's much Ado about nothing. Won't stop the overreactors though (as evidenced already).

There's no level cap? How does the xp curve work after 20?

In D1 you got a mote of light every time your XP bar filled once you hit the cap. In D2, you get a bright engram which it turns out can also be bought from Eververse.

This is not good. This is the same as being able to buy glimmer, strange coins, motes of light, etc. You should not be able to buy things that otherwise need earned in game.

Jonboy

Destiny threads always make it so incredibly obvious to see those who have played the game and those who haven't.

You can get these in-game already. I'm not seeing a huge difference from the Destiny 1 system.

Tiops

Don't you get Bright Engrams for leveling up post level 20?

Yes, but when you have the option to either spend $50 to get the best weapon or play for 300 hours for the same results, it's pretty pay to win. Like those shitty Game of War style games on mobile that the only way to stay at the top is by spending hundreds of dollars each month, even though you can do the same by playing a lot.

You give a big time advantage to players that are willing to spend money.

flkraven

Don't you get these for free after you hit the level cap?

Yes, by grinding through the game. But if someone wants, they can buy just buy a ton of these and amp up their character.

Just because it can be obtained through gameplay doesn't mean it isn't bad. This is the definition of pay 2 win.

Top Bottom