• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some dude ports FXAA to all DX9 games

A guy who calls himself 'some dude' has developed a FXAA injector that is supposed to work with all DX9 games.

What is FXAA?
FXAA is an image filter that, unlike older anti-aliasing techniques, looks at the final image, finds jaggies and smoothes them. This is great for games that don't support AA or where the AA implementation is crap.
It barely takes any processing power, you lose 1-2 fps max.

Downsides
- The HUD is also filtered, might look a bit weird
- FXAA can't help you if the game decides to blur ugly looking jaggies Example: no AA/FXAA
- Multiplayer servers may kick you for using a modified system file

Download & Installation
This is the most recent version some dude posted: http://hotfile.com/dl/126721760/6694e76/injectFxaa_by_some_dude_10.7z.html

He keeps posting updates in this thread on a German board, just filter out the English posts and you should get what you need.
http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=510658&page=7

Instructions:
beta version 10! directx 9, directx 10, directx 11, x86 binaries only! may be incompatible with any other form of antialiasing! can be combined with downsampling!
do not use this tool while playing on anti cheat enabled servers (may be detected as a cheating measure)!

Install:
If the game uses DirectX 9, put all files from the d3d9 directory into the directory containing the game executable.
If the game uses DirectX 10/11, put all files from the d3d10 directory into the directory containing the game executable.

Uninstall: Remove the files.

Notes:
Do not mix d3d9 and d3d10 the files.
Install the latest DirectX runtime.
A "log.log" file is created to log behaviour/ bugs. Look inside to get additional information.
If the "log.log" file is not created then you use the wrong "*.dll" or you put it into the wrong directory.
If the "log.log" is created but the game crashes or FXAA is disabled, look where the "log.log" is created. Usually the shader files go into that particular directory.
Try to put the files into different directories before saying it doesn't work.
Some games (e.g. Portal 1, Halo 1, ...) refuse to accept the alpha channel. A general workaround (lower quality) for those is to add the following line at the beginning of shader.fx :
#define FXAA_GREEN_AS_LUMA 1
If the "log.log" contains the line "pDevice->CreateDeferredContext failed" then it just won't work.
There is a way to experiment with sharpening/custom shaders. I added an example. To activate additional sharpening filter change edit the line "//Replace this line with #include "Sharpen.h" to add a sharpening pass" in the shader file.
Note that right now sharpening is only an example that it can be done. I more-or-less copypasted a random sharpen filter to show how my mod can be modded.
Compilerlogs for custom shaders are written to "log.log".

Keys:
PAUSE : Enable/Disable FXAA
PRINT SCREEN : Screenshot

Screens (what everyone is here for)

Mass Effect 2:
No AA
FXAA

Dirt 2:
No AA
FXAA

Dirt 3:
No AA
FXAA

Sacred 2:
No AA
FXAA

Games

Working:
Arcania
Arkham Asylum
Bad Company 2 (as of beta 5)
Call of Pripyat
CoD engine games (as of beta 4)
Darksiders
Dead Space
Dead Space 2 (apperently doesn't work with beta 5 so look out for that)
Dirt 2 & 3
Dosbox (lol)
Far Cry 2
GTA 4 (as of beta 4, menu is black so you gotta get into the game using keyboard commands)
Halo 1 (add "#define FXAA_GREEN_AS_LUMA 1" to Fxaa3_11.h)
Killing Floor
Mafia 2
Medal of Honor (2010) (with random light flickering)
Mount & Blade
Oblivion
Sacred 2
Street Fighter IV
TFU 2
Torchlight
Trine
Most UE 3 games
Mirror's Edge (with light lighting problems)
VLC media player (lol)

& many more. If you're not sure just try it, it takes a minute.

Not working or broken:
Borderlands (pic is extremely dark)
Crysis 1 & 2 crash
D3DOverrider
Transformers (gets dark)

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Is there any reason to bother with this if you can already force MLAA? Like, does FXAA do a better job?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The only issue is that damn near every DX9 title has MSAA comaptiblities and 99% of those MSAA-capable games support Super-sampling. Both of those options look significantly better than what is shown here.

That said, I will try this for Halo 1 PC, the forever elusive to AA title.

Orayn

Holy cow, this is awesome! I'll definitely be messing around with this when I get back from class. "Free" AA is fine by me!

Truespeed

Easy_D said:
Is there any reason to bother with this if you can already force MLAA? Like, does FXAA do a better job?

FXAA anti-aliasing works on subpixels and I believe is slightly faster than MLAA.

ss_lemonade

GTA IV still doesn't work for some reason. It's like Rockstar put a "no anti-aliasing allowed" force field on that thing (may get fixed in future versions)
Lol, this is one game that needs AA badly. Super sampling via ENB is just too demanding

bl-dude.jpg

Woorloog

Banned
Stallion Free said:
As far as i can say, i saw no difference whatsoever. Will check if i can get a couple of screen shots from some place

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Woorloog said:
As far as i can say, i saw no difference whatsoever. Will check if i can get a couple of screen shots from some place
Yeah, just tried it and it didn't seem to work. Does Nvidia's FXAA implementation still only work with open-GL titles?

It blurs everything including text/hud. But it also seems to what its supposed to and I guess it's worth it if you don't want to take the performance hit of SSAA or MSAA.

Stallion Free said:
The only issue is that damn near every DX9 title has MSAA comaptiblities and 99% of those MSAA-capable games support Super-sampling. Both of those options look significantly better than what is shown here.

FXAA only takes a fraction of the framerate hit though.
AuthenticM said:
The Blur 3 pic with FXAA looks way too blurry to sell me on this.
You can apparently tweak the shader but I haven't messed around with that.

plc268

Meh, big deal. I guess I'm not sensitive to jaggies in the first place because the before picture is so similar to the after pictures that I really have to hunt to see the jaggies.

The only one of those examples that really benefited was the Sacred 2 comparison.

Orayn

Stallion Free said:
Yeah, just tried it and it didn't seem to work. Does Nvidia's FXAA implementation still only work with open-GL titles?
Yes, and it's not even fully exposed by their official drivers or firmware yet.

Truespeed

The neat thing is being able to toggle it with the Insert key and take screenshots with the Delete key. I just tried it with Trine and I really liked the results.

No FXAA
FXAA

Orayn

Stallion Free said:
And it looks a fraction as good pretty much every single time.
Yeah, but it's still a nice treat for people, such as myself, who are trying to keep up with PC gaming on aging hardware, and those who didn't out a high priority on AA in the first place.

mileS

JADS said:
It seems to works on my 5850

I wonder what its like with Dead Space 2?
I remember that game not working correctly when forcing AA with the CCC (and the in-game AA option didn't seem to do much at all) but MLAA seemed to hide the jaggies fairly well, minus the performance hit it takes.

JADS

mileS said:
I wonder what its like with Dead Space 2?
I remember that game not working correctly when forcing AA with the CCC (and the in-game AA option didn't seem to do much at all) but MLAA seemed to hide the jaggies fairly well, minus the performance hit it takes.

I am testing Borderland will see DS2 later. Last time I played around with MLAA Borderlands absolutely destroys performance if you have MLAA + Dynamic shadows enabled.

Awesome. It works on 4xxx cards!! And I don't know why he says it's x86 only - works fine with a 64-bit CPU. Unless he means it only works on 32-bit programs, I don't know.

A quick and dirty Dead Space comparison:

With

deadspace2011-08-0118-0rpb.png

Without

deadspace2011-08-0118-spzo.png

JADS

Borderlands has something weird going on when using FXAA whenever you bring up a menu. Performance seems to be quite a bit better when using FXAA instead of MLAA though.

screenshot2485bjel.jpg

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Awesome. It works on 4xxx cards!! And I don't know why he says it's x86 only - works fine with a 64-bit CPU. Unless he means it only works on 32-bit programs, I don't know.

A quick and dirty Dead Space comparison:

With

/http://www.abload.de/img/deadspace2011-08-0118-0rpb.png

Without

/http://www.abload.de/img/deadspace2011-08-0118-spzo.png

That is pretty awesome. If I recall correctly MLAA doesn't work on 4xxx cards right? I wonder if it works on even older card, like the 3xxx series.

jokkir

I tried playing Bad Company 2 with it and it didn't seem to work. Like what the above poster said, is there a list of games which this works on?

Stitch

Gold Member
doesn't work with call of pripyat :-/
and also doesn't work with quantum of solace.

it did work with mount and blade and test drive unlimited 2 but the results with TDU2 were kinda lame.

it works with War for cybertron but things turn dark sometimes Oo so it actually doesn't work lol

Boerseun

Banned
I've tested Black Ops and War Inc. In both cases just having the files in the appropriate folder causes massive slowdown. Note, this is before even having activated FXAA in-game.

georaldc said:
Lol, this is one game that needs AA badly. Super sampling via ENB is just too demanding

Doesn't the iCEnhancer mod let you use FXAA?

JADS said:
That is pretty awesome. If I recall correctly MLAA doesn't work on 4xxx cards right? I wonder if it works on even older card, like the 3xxx series.

Yeah, no MLAA before 5xxx. That's why this is so damn exciting for us oldies.

Stitch

Gold Member
It works with Far Cry 2. You can even combine it with the game AA. But the game is shit so who cares...

1-D_FTW

Stallion Free said:

This. AA never used to be an issue. It's only lately that options have gone down the drain. Rare exception aside, DX9 games have great AA options available.

Yeah this is seeming over-hyped the more I use it. Dead Space 2 looks better with FXAA, but I get performance hits of up to 12fps with it enabled. Maybe it's because i'm using it on an older card.

KKRT00

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Yeah this is seeming over-hyped the more I use it. Dead Space 2 looks better with FXAA, but I get performance hits of up to 12fps with it enabled. Maybe it's because i'm using it on an older card.
Strange, i dont get any fps hit in Mass Effect 2 on R 4850

scitek

Backfoggen said:
Doesn't Crysis 2 already use FXAA on the highest quality setting?

I have no idea, but I'd assume not on AMD cards.

It works in Dead Space 2, though, and has WAY less performance loss than MLAA.

KKRT00

Backfoggen said:
Doesn't Crysis 2 already use FXAA on the highest quality setting?
It uses FXAA, but a really early version, not even FXAA 2 and its totally shader based so it works on every GPU.

scitek

LabouredSubterfuge said:
For Dead Space and Dead Space 2, can't you just force other forms of AA with Nvidia Inspector?

It's more for AMD people since we can't. MLAA's been the only option for DS2 'til now and it's a performance hog at times.

Special J

Banned
scitek said:
I have no idea, but I'd assume not on AMD cards.

It works in Dead Space 2, though, and has WAY less performance loss than MLAA.

fxaa isnt card specific, just needs programable shaders. i think its enabled on Very High or better. but it looks terrible you lose way too much detail and fucks up the palette.

Top Bottom