• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some dude ports FXAA to all DX9 games

M3d10n

HD 4850 here. This will help a lot in my current Darksiders playthrough. Gotta replay Trine with it as well.

Durante said:
Nice! It should be possible to force it via drivers (at least for NV users) but this way you can tweak all the parameters to your liking.

I do basically the same thing for PS360 games.

Wow, this looks great, if a little pricey for the Black Magic box.

It's weird that some screens (No More Heroes for example) exhibit sharper textures with FXAA enabled.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Durante said:
Nice! It should be possible to force it via drivers (at least for NV users) but this way you can tweak all the parameters to your liking.

I do basically the same thing for PS360 games.

That's pretty wild. I've had a Blackmagic Intensity Pro for ages but hardly use it. Gonna have to try that out.

Durante

ixix said:
That's pretty wild. I've had a Blackmagic Intensity Pro for ages but hardly use it. Gonna have to try that out.
You should wait a day or two. The current version is quite buggy and I'll release a new one soon.

(As an aside, when you post a thread about something on GAF it has quite an impact. I had that program up for months and heard from 1 person using it, but after posting the thread I got 5 messages (and bug reports :/) in 2 days)

I NEED SCISSORS said:
It's weird that some screens (No More Heroes for example) exhibit sharper textures with FXAA enabled.
That's not so weird, I also run a slight sharpening filter to combat the oversmoothing effects of FXAA ;)

DarkChild

Banned
Durante said:
That's not so weird, I also run a slight sharpening filter to combat the oversmoothing effects of FXAA ;)
Yap.FXAA has lots of settings.With more blur you will get better sub pixel AA,but with more sharpness you will get no sub pixel AA.I'm more for the latter since MLAA doesn't do shit for it neither.

Sharp FXAA
fxaa39-c.png

Default FXAA(more sub pixel AA,more blur)
fxaa39-d.png

You can pretty much tune it how you want.Epic seems to have done it right in latest footage of Gears 3.No blur,good AA.

DieH@rd

Banned
I just tried this on Batman Arkham Asylum [ATI user]. It works perfectly, and im not seeing any performance hit.

jett

D-Member
Tried it on Street Fighter IV, on my trusty old 4670. First off, it overrode D3DOverrider, depriving me of precious triple buffering and giving me constant screen tearing. Second, massive framerate drop at 1080p, from locked 60fps to something that feels at least half of that. Meh. There wasn't that much of a difference to be honest either.

jett said:
Tried it on Street Fighter IV, on my trusty old 4670. First off, it overrode D3DOverrider, depriving me of precious triple buffering and giving me constant screen tearing. Second, massive framerate drop at 1080p, from locked 60fps to something that feels at least half of that. Meh. There wasn't that much of a difference to be honest either.

I get this too. I can get triple buffering back again with RadeonPro.

Stitch

Gold Member
there's a new version, it seems to work with gta4 but the menu is just black when you start the game lol. starting 4 isn't so hard but I cant figure out how to start gay tony haha

Anyone know if this works on Geforce 8000 series cards?

Also, does it work on games that already supports AA? I want to make use of FXAA because it gives better performance. I want to try it on Vindictus.

jett

D-Member
Zombie James said:
Has anyone tried this on a 4770 or any 4xxx series card?

jett said:

Melchiah

Anyone tried this on laptop, and older Nvidia card (9600M GT 512MB)? I'm particulary interested in trying this in Mass Effect, if it lightens the load.

I have another question: can you combine this implementation of FXAA with regular MLAA? I'm noticing in some of the screenshots that FXAA alone misses some aliasing, especially vertical aliasing.

edit: Sorry, I meant MSAA, not MLAA.

KKRT00

Zombie James said:
I have another question: can you combine this implementation of FXAA with regular MLAA? I'm noticing in some of the screenshots that FXAA alone misses some aliasing, especially vertical aliasing.
It will make Your screen much more blurry.

And about Your earlier question i have 4850 and its working. In Mass Effect 2 it doesnt lower my framerate.
Some screens from testing.
http://kkrt.imgur.com/fxaa/

Turns out that x86 didn't mean the OS, it meant the game. Anyways, couldn't get it to work with Portal 2 but I did get it working with Oblivion:

No AA:
X0wk5.jpg

FXAA:
iHRWd.jpg

Not too bad!

Stitch said:
there's a new version, it seems to work with gta4 but the menu is just black when you start the game lol. starting 4 isn't so hard but I cant figure out how to start gay tony haha
Hell yes.

Deegon said:
What resolution were you running?

1080p.

edit: Beta 5 is out. He got it working with the Bioshock demo and there's some progress with Valve games:

About Portal 1:
It's tricky, but it can be done with the current release.

First of all, you need to distribute the files from the d3d9 directory in a special way. How? I can't tell you. But basically the d3d9.dll belongs to all the other *.dll files the game loads. DO NOT OVERWRITE ANY EXISTING/SYSTEM FILES.
The shader files are supposed to go to the game executable.
Additionally, Portal seems to refuse any alpha data, so you need to put the line
#define FXAA_GREEN_AS_LUMA 1
at the beginning of shader.fx.

Changing fxaaQualitySubpix in shader.fx from 0.50 to 0.75 gives me more noticeable results. At first, even in games that were working, the effect was almost too hard to notice at 0.50. Love the way it handles alpha textures (like all the foliage in Oblivion).

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Durante said:
You should wait a day or two. The current version is quite buggy and I'll release a new one soon.

(As an aside, when you post a thread about something on GAF it has quite an impact. I had that program up for months and heard from 1 person using it, but after posting the thread I got 5 messages (and bug reports :/) in 2 days)

Waiting for a new version will give me time to find the analog breakout cable, so I guess that's a win-win.

Backfoggen said:
Added a list of games to the OP. If anyone has anymore, just post them and I'll add it.

I tried The Last Remnant and Disciples 3 with it, and both worked. The Last Remnant is UE3, so no surprise there, and anti-aliased Disciples 3 is still a very bad game and anyone who suggests you play it does not have your best interests at heart.

Still, they work.

stuminus3

Backfoggen said:
Not working or broken:
D3DOverrider
Is there an explanation for why this is listed? I noticed Vsync didn't work in Dead Space 2 after enabling FXAA even though it was forced on in D3DOverrider, is this why? Also I assume then this FXAA implementation breaks triple buffering like ATI's MLAA does?

RiZ III

jett said:

I think SF4 uses FXAA anyways.

Works with Splinter Cell: Chaos Theroy. Great, because I can never get MSAA to work with HDR without fucking up the image. FXAA also does magic for some of the foliage, but I think it needs some sharpening for the more subtle texture details.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I NEED SCISSORS said:
Works with Splinter Cell: Chaos Theroy. Great, because I can never get MSAA to work with HDR without fucking up the image. FXAA also does magic for some of the foliage, but I think it needs some sharpening for the more subtle texture details.
There is a compatibility for Nvidia cards that works perfectly for Chaos Theory if you are on that.

I NEED SCISSORS said:

I actually like the subtle blurring. Toning down that sharp-edge "PC look" looks better to my eyes.

Stallion Free said:
There is a compatibility for Nvidia cards that works perfectly for Chaos Theory if you are on that.

AMD unfortunately. Tried using the UT3 profile in RadeonPro to no avail. I think I remember you posted instructions once for AMD users but I could never find it :(

JohngPR

My fxaaQualitySubpix was already defaulted to 0.75. *shrugs*

Just used it and liked the results (running a HD 5770).

It looks very similar to using 2x MLAA.

mlaaluuq.png

Using 2xMLAA

screenshot7255keut.png

Using FXAA

FXAA looks better to me, especially when you compare around his mouth/chin area.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
JADS said:
Borderlands has something weird going on when using FXAA whenever you bring up a menu. Performance seems to be quite a bit better when using FXAA instead of MLAA though.

screenshot2485bjel.jpg

That is pretty awesome. If I recall correctly MLAA doesn't work on 4xxx cards right? I wonder if it works on even older card, like the 3xxx series.
Anyone find a fix for this? Borderlands looks great with FXAA, but the second any HUD elements or menus appear, the screen becomes dim.

Top Bottom