• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some dude ports FXAA to all DX9 games

undu

It works with mirrir's edge. But messes up the lightinng after respawning (It's really dark at first) and it takes a few second until it brightens up.

No AA:

FXAA:

Stitch said:
doesn't work with call of pripyat :-/
If I recall, when I tried MLAA with Shadow of Chernobyl it took me an hour to realize that AA can only be forced without dynamic lighting on or something like that. Probably the same deal for CoP.

Holy shit, this plus GTA4 icenhancer solves the AA almost completely for me.

This looks fucking great.

A shame to hear Halo PC doesn't work with it. When will some form of fucking AA work for it?

Maybe ENB and downsampling?

One thing I hope gets resolved is allowing MSAA + FXAA. It used to work with Torchlight in an earlier beta and using both looked better than just FXAA alone, and FXAA misses a lot of aliasing in certain games like Portal 2.

pottuvoi

Banned
SiriusTexra said:
A shame to hear Halo PC doesn't work with it. When will some form of fucking AA work for it?

Maybe ENB and downsampling?
Heve you tried this?
[some dude]
About Halo 1:
It is one of those older games (Like Portal 1) which don't like the alpha channel.
A general workaround (lower quality) for those is to add the line
#define FXAA_GREEN_AS_LUMA 1
at the beginning of shader.fx.

Halo 1 demo screenshots:
http://www.abload.de/img/screenshot1689noaaquwm.png
http://www.abload.de/img/screenshot1716fxaagu07.png

JohngPR

I was hoping to use this with Batman Arkham Asylum, but I still lose too many frames to my liking with an HD 5770.

On average I lose 8-10 frames with it on.

Borderlands @ 720p

14465ww.png

TUROK

What's good about FXAA is that it's a post-processing technique, meaning the edge smoothing doesn't get filtered out with something like deferred lights.

wwm0nkey said:
ok can someone post a tutorial on how to do this on Halo PC?

[some dude]
About Halo 1:
It is one of those older games (Like Portal 1) which don't like the alpha channel.
A general workaround (lower quality) for those is to add the line

#define FXAA_GREEN_AS_LUMA 1

at the beginning of shader.fx.

Do the same thing to get it working in Valve games.

vazel

Banned
So far I'm not impressed. In Mirror's Edge at 1080p it has the same IQ and performance hit as 2xMSAA on my GTS 250. I thought this kind of AA was supposed to have a tiny performance hit. I'll try it in other games.

Sibylus

Banned
Sweet jebus, it actually works on Halo 1. Going from nothing to this is quite the improvement. Now to look around for a widescreen/FOV changer that works on the latest version of the game, got a replay to start.

Sibylus

Banned
Standard method as outlined in the OP doesn't work for Valve games, screenshot function is also inoperative.

Edit: Got it.

The hint quoted in this post was what let me know where the DLL needed to go. The original source's caginess is mildly unnerving however, almost as if he doesn't want to be liable for something. I'll stick it in the quote.

Using HL2: Episode Two as an example: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\username\half-life 2 episode two

Deegon

Banned
I can't get it to work with oblivion, the game makes some looping sounds for 3-4 seconds then the .exe crashes. I put the files where the executables are using the DX9 files. What could the solution be?

Edit: And in mass effect (1) the CPU usage shoots through the roof, 100% and all I get is a black screen. Damn.

Deegon said:
I can't get it to work with oblivion, the game makes some looping sounds for 3-4 seconds then the .exe crashes. I put the files where the executables are using the DX9 files. What could the solution be?

Edit: And in mass effect (1) the CPU usage shoots through the roof, 100% and all I get is a black screen. Damn.
What does your log.log file say?

jett

D-Member
JohngPR said:
I was hoping to use this with Batman Arkham Asylum, but I still lose too many frames to my liking with an HD 5770.

On average I lose 8-10 frames with it on.

Yeah I thought this was supposed to be "cost-free"

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
MisterAnderson said:
So this doesn't work alongside D3DOverrider?
It depends on the game. It works fine with Halo, but doesn't with Borderlands. I just switched over to in-game v-sync in Borderlands and that worked fine.

Stallion Free said:
It depends on the game. It works fine with Halo, but doesn't with Borderlands. I just switched over to in-game v-sync in Borderlands and that worked fine.

How does this work with StarCraft 2? I can force it with my card but it's ridiculously slow when activated so I'm hoping that this would be a good solution.

cgcg

jett said:

Yea I'm losing around 10 fps here though I have an old 8600gt. Still seems to be more performance heavy than 2xmsaa. Hardly *free* as it was hyped up to be.

jett said:

nothing is cost free. it's just supposed to be less cost than other AA solutions.

while this FXAA for all games is nice and all, it's going to matter more when it's a game option. I think Duke Forever and F3AR have early forms of it.

I can't get it to work in New Vegas. I put the files in the EXE folder, I turn off AA in the launcher (my computer's lame), but there's still no AA in game. What kind of AA mode or behavior flag do I have to set in Nvidia Inspector/Control Panel?

XOMTOR

Seems to work pretty good. I'd say it looks equivalent to about 2x MSAA but it appears to work better on shader aliasing which I guess MSAA can't eliminate. Makes sense as this is a post-processing effect.

Beta 8 appears to now work with Hunted: The Demon's Forge.

Edit: I did notice that it interferes with MSI Afterburner's on-screen display server so you don't have access to monitoring your GPUs in game. Anyone else notice this or know of a workaround?

NRezXBX

Neo Member
I am having trouble getting this to work with Halo. I add the d3d9 files to the C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo folder, and then when I try to start the game it crashes. What am I doing wrong?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Chinner said:
so erm i've put these into the mass effect folder and nothing is happening?
Make sure it's in the Mass Effect/binaries folder, not just the main one. Binaries is where the actual game .exe is.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Awesome. It works on 4xxx cards!! And I don't know why he says it's x86 only - works fine with a 64-bit CPU. Unless he means it only works on 32-bit programs, I don't know.

A quick and dirty Dead Space comparison:

With

deadspace2011-08-0118-0rpb.png

Without

deadspace2011-08-0118-spzo.png

Looks the same to me or am I blind?

Loomer

Yeah, it's pretty noticeable all around, but this isn't really the best scene to show, jagged edges become much worse later on(especially once you get the later suits).

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I was hoping this would work on Splinter Cell 1/2 (similar to Halo, they are forever elusive to real AA), but sadly it didn't seem to work :(

Top Bottom