• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some dude ports FXAA to all DX9 games

Stallion Free said:
I was hoping this would work on Splinter Cell 1/2 (similar to Halo, they are forever elusive to real AA), but sadly it didn't seem to work :(

I played SC1 recently and could have sworn I forced 8xMSAA using RadeonPro.

EDIT: dug out some proof:

image0002ogza.jpg

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I NEED SCISSORS said:
I played SC1 recently and could have sworn I forced 8xMSAA using RadeonPro.

EDIT: dug out some proof:
!!!!! wtf!

edit - oh shit I just threw on SGSSAA on Pandora Tomorrow with no compatiblity and it works perfect. Wtf is going on here, I had issues with these games for so long.

This is fantastic. Playing through Mass Effect 2 on the PC for the first time (I had it on the 360 first) and going from crap HDTV to supergood monitor made the jaggies really ugly and obvious.

Now it just looks damn pretty.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Please tell me this works with Witcher 2. The game's busted, nonexistant AA has kept me from playing it.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Yes, and the AA that worked for other people didn't work for me.

I'm using beta 10 right now, fairly certain it's still in development since it includes an experimental DX10 version too. The DX9 version is pretty reliable already in my experience.

I've been struggling to find a version of ENB mods that didn't fuck something up in GTA4 for me, but there was always something. Either the colors are super oversaturated or the lighting was ridiculously blown out. All I've wanted was some AA and this was perfect. I wish I'd found it sooner. So many hours wasted.

KKRT00

Most interesting, anyone have any thoughts on SMAA compared to FXAA?

SMAA is definitely more advanced, because it uses FXAA, MLAA and KZ2 postAA code.

I dont know what a hit is, but pretty small, probably a little higher than FXAA, but rather similar in most cases.

Some more tests with SMAA
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1602436&postcount=1154

The test and stuff doesn't blur?! May look into it.
Yes, it blurs much less than FXAA.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Here's a quick comparison of no AA versus SMAA (D3D9) in Assassin's Creed: Revelations:

No AA:
screenshot9364d3epy.jpg

SMAA:
screenshot96167cdst.jpg

With the new Nvidia beta drivers and Nvidia Inspector you can also enable FXAA driver-side now. Beware of enabling it for all applications though.

FXAA'd GAF is pretty weird:
gK8XJ.png

I'll update the thread later today or tomorrow.

is there much shimmering in this one? i find these things great for taking screenshots, but the shimmering is quite distracting. reduced shimmering would be happy.

JaseC

Does SMAA not show up in screenshots cause those both look like jaggy shit.

There's clear difference between the two. Compare the vertical corner of the foreground wall to the immediate right of Ezio, for instance.

dr_rus

It actually AA quite well here. Its post process AA, so it wont fix thin geometry.
Thats why we need SMAA T2X or SMAA 4x for that :p
Or you can just, you know, turn MSAA on in ACR. The game supports it, no need for FXAA/SMAA/etc there.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Hmm, doesn't look much better than FXAA in my opinion, if at all. I don't know what settings you guys are using in FXAA injector, but it doesn't cause the kind of texture blur that MLAA does.

JaseC

Or you can just, you know, turn MSAA on in ACR. The game supports it, no need for FXAA/SMAA/etc there.

I actually went back to 4x MSAA after that little test. It looks virtually identical to my eyes, and there's no texture blur.

i think you're missing the point of the comparison. it's to show it's working and give us a look at the result.

I actually went back to 4x MSAA after that little test. It looks virtually identical to my eyes, and there's no texture blur.
what about in motion? does it have the edge shimmering FXAA and MLAA have?

JaseC

what about in motion? does it have the edge shimmering FXAA and MLAA have?

Can you find an example of what I should be looking for? I did run around for a short while before taking those screenshots as I was trying to find an area with a notable amount of jaggies. Throughout my short travels I didn't notice any shimmering or the like, however I can't be certain since I wasn't on the lookout for it.

dr_rus

i think you're missing the point of the comparison. it's to show it's working and give us a look at the result.
Nah, I'm just saying that we don't really need any SMAA in ACR. Actually, it's pretty hard to find a game that needs FXAA or some other AA to be injected into it. It's a nice option to have but most of games today either support MSAA or have some kind of post-processing AA built-in already. I was playing with 290 beta's FXAA yesterday and out of all games I have installed the only one which didn't have any AA in it and really shined with driver FXAA enabled was GTA4. And it's like three years old.

KKRT00

If only MSAA was answer for all aliasing problems :)

and about SMAA T2X and others

SMAA 1x is our enhaced MLAA implementation.
SMAA T2x is temporal SSAA 2x + MLAA.
SMAA S2x is MSAA 2x + MLAA.
SMAA 4x is MLAA + TSSAA 2x + MSAA 2x.

Nah, I'm just saying that we don't really need any SMAA in ACR. Actually, it's pretty hard to find a game that needs FXAA or some other AA to be injected into it. It's a nice option to have but most of games today either support MSAA or have some kind of post-processing AA built-in already. I was playing with 290 beta's FXAA yesterday and out of all games I have installed the only one which didn't have any AA in it and really shined with driver FXAA enabled was GTA4. And it's like three years old.
But You know FXAA blur textures more [AMD MLAA even more] and not everyone has GPU that can handle MSAA well in games, especially when You target 60fps.
Its an option of course, just SMAA is the best one now.

Top Bottom