• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some new FFXIII tidbits

Ceb

Excerpts from a bunch of interviews in the latest issue of LEVEL magazine:

About Fabula Nova Crystallis in general:

Motomu Toriyama: "The development of the three games was started at the same time and we gathered to try and find a common platform to stand on and try to build from. But since then, we've been working completely independently of each other. Each game is evolving in its own direction and take place in separate worlds with their own main characters. There exists basically no cooperation between the different teams. I wouldn't even want to claim that we communicate with each other."

Tetsuya Nomura: "The only similarity between the games that you can find is in the vague crystal theme."

About Crisis Core:

Hajime Tabata: "There's a reason why this game is released last [note: what about the 20 years of FFVII?]. This is one of Square Enix's most important moments, when we're about to tell the story that leads up to maybe the most beloved RPG of them all. So we've taken our time and prepared us well."

Q: "How much do you listen to the opinions of the fans?"

A: "All I can say is that you encounter characters from the original game in Crisis Core. But you have to have in mind that this is a game about Zack and the Soldier organization. So even if the fans' opinions are important, I won't risk to destroy the central theme by throwing in loved characters who would disrupt the balance in the game."

About FFXIII:

Q: "How does it effect you, and Square Enix, that FFXIII is such a big project that it's been divided in a lot of separate projects?"

Toriyama:"We've definitely been forced to change our habits and work in new ways. In the center you have the crystals that define Final Fantasy and unite the three XIII projects. But every single game is evolving in its own direction and take place in their own worlds with their own characters. Nomura has designed Lightning, but she's our character."

Q: "So who is she then?"

A: "I can't say much more than that she likes to call herself that. And that she's a female character who's vastly different compared to Yuna."

Q: "Ten years ago, Final Fantasy VII became a symbol to the entire PlayStation format. Could FFXIII come to mean as much for the PS3?"

A:"FFVII was a milestone in PS history. The game changed the entire RPG genre and set a lot of new trends. Strictly content-wise, the theme alternated between fantasy and futurism and we're doing something similar with FFXIII. The game mixes a new kind of fantasy with futuristic elements that have never been seen in a game before. It's very interesting to explore the new hardware. When you've managed to harness the power in it the results become unbelievable. We're accomplishing things you hardly can manage without the PS3."

Q:"So there will be a mix between fantasy and sci-fi again?"

A: "Last time, our time worked with the Asian-influenced world in FFX and wanted to do something completely different this time around. So we took the futuristic theme to its limit. FFXIII will truly define the term futurism. You've never seen anything like it."

Q:"You've worked at Square Enix for a long time, but this is the first time you're in charge of such a big FF project. How do you cope with the pressure?"

A: "The difference between the side projects and the big games, the one with numbers, isn't really that big. I know I have to deliver, but I knew that when I worked on Revenant Wings as well. The pressure from outside is almost worse. A lot of people view FFXIII as a title that can decide the success for the PS3. But I can't think about that. We've had a lot of time on our hands to prepare our game, and now we're working full-speed."

Q: "If you look past the visuals, how will FFXIII be a game for the next generation?"

A: "It's never solely about graphics, but at the same time you can't deny the meaning of the looks for the experience as a whole. The technique allows us to create characters so realistic that the player perceives them as being alive. It adds something emotional to the entire game experience. Which in its turn makes the combat system feel different since you care about the characters and you feel for them in a way that you've never done before. When you play FFXIII, it feels like you're controlling something that's not a 3D model, but a real creature."

About Versus:

Nomura: "There's been times when I've wanted to take FF in a completely different direction than the game's producer has wanted. I'm not saying that his or mine opinions have been right or wrong, just different. One thing I've always wanted to explore deeper is human emotions. By going in that direction, you risk to make the target group for the game narrower, and FF is appreciated by a very large audience. But with Versus XIII, it feels like the right time to take that risk. Since the script isn't done yet, I still don't know exactly how far I dare to go, but I know I want to squeeze humanity out of these characters. I want Versus to feel in the entire body."

Q: "You've also said that this is going to be the darkest FF game ever."

A: "When I produced Kingdom Hearts, I was in a world so bright that I almost got blinded. So now I want to do something completely different. Maybe it has something to do with my love for extremes. FFvXIII is about man in the real world. In that sense, the game will contain less fantasy than usual We've created some dark environments and shown them in our trailers. But the entire game won't look like that; we've only just begun."

Q: "When you talk about the real world, do you mean modern life on Earth?"

A: "I don't want the characters in the game to feel fabricated, so my focus lies on designing them through their humanity. They have to be perceived as humans, as someone you and I could meet in reality. The world in Versus is reminiscent with the one we live in today. That doesn't mean I'm inspired by locations or persons that actually exist, it's more of a feeling that the characters and locations are believeable, like something you'd be able to find in your daily life. I want to take this concept and make it into an FF experience. That's the challenge I've given myself, anyway."

Q: "So that's how you will use the power of the PS3?"

A: "The PS3 is such a powerful machine that the technical possibilities have a great influence over the game design and in the end, the entire game experience. I can't go into details about my ideas, but many of them would never have been possible during the last console generation."

Doesn't really sound like it's going for multi IMO.

As silly as the storyline is, KH was rather emotionally engaging for many people so this bodes well for his being in charge of that project. Then again Advent Children had characters as sterile as can be so who knows.

Mrbob

FF13 to swoop in and save the PS3.

Please.

I REALLY don't want FF14 on a less powerful system.

But back to FF13, I'm hoping it will be the real deal. The teaser trailer for the game is so damn awesome.

donny2112

Ceb said:
Doesn't really sound like it's going for multi IMO.

Interviews with the main guy behind RE4 before the PS2 announcement probably would have made you think that RE4 was GameCube-only, too. The PS2 port was a stockholder decision. I'm not saying that a FFXIII port is definite, but you can't rule it out if the PS3 continues to perform so poorly in Japan and the U.S.

Edit:
Just to be clear, I only consider a 360 port a possibility.

tanod

when is my burrito
NinSoX said:
Hurray. Now that it's pretty much confirmed exclusive, I can anticipate this game again

I wasn't hyped because it's exclusive. *rolls eyes*

I'm hyped because that sounds like exactly where I wanted the series to go with the next installment.

StevieP

Banned
donny2112 said:
Interviews with the main guy behind RE4 before the PS2 announcement probably would have made you think that RE4 was GameCube-only, too. The PS2 port was a stockholder decision. I'm not saying that a FFXIII port is definite, but you can't rule it out if the PS3 continues to perform so poorly in Japan and the U.S.

I wonder if Nomura would slit his throat like Mikami did. Oh wait.

tanod

when is my burrito
donny2112 said:

Edit:

So they are gonna put it on the 360 in Japan, then?! That makes sense. /sarcasm

sakuragi

Banned
donny2112 said:

Edit:

Except that mikami has no power whatsoever at Capcom and is considered like just another employee while on the other hand, Namura is considered to be one of the most influential and powerful man in Square-Enix. His words mean alot more than Mikami and certainly holds more credibility.

Ceb

..pakbeka.. said:
woah dude, don't highlight the whole thing...

Heh, I couldn't decide on a proper format so I went with excessive bolding. Fixed it up a bit. :p

And maybe it's just PR speak, but the way Tabata speaks about Crisis Core makes me anticipate it more (rhyme, rhyme). If they can keep it from becoming too much of a fan service dealio, the better it will be for us gamers.

tanod

when is my burrito
I filed out a RPG survey for Sony a while ago and of the preferences for my ideal RPG. I said that it should include the Future/Sci-fi, strong female character, dark plot, and mysterious characters.

Did anybody else get this survey? Pretty much sums up what Nomura is saying FFXIII is gonna be. :D :D :D

Ceb

Also, regarding the bit about controlling something that feels like a living, breathing individual rather than just a 3D model: I hope this means that they have some nice momentum-based animations going on. :D

Ceb said:
Excerpts from a bunch of interviews in the latest issue of LEVEL magazine:

About Fabula Nova Crystallis in general:

Motomu Toriyama: "The development of the three games was started at the same time and we gathered to try and find a common platform to stand on and try to build from. But since then, we've been working completely independently of each other. Each game is evolving in its own direction and take place in separate worlds with their own main characters. There exists basically no cooperation between the different teams. I wouldn't even want to claim that we communicate with each other."

Tetsuya Nomura: "The only similarity between the games that you can find is in the vague crystal theme."

Then what the hell is the point?

Thoren

Banned
Mrbob said:

Please.

It was a target render, and I dont think having FF14 going multi or 360 would be so bad.

Threi

notag
This + Massive Price drop = new PS3 owner :D

although i would rather put down money on a new chrono game :lol

birdchili

AdmiralViscen said:
Then what the hell is the point?
hadn't they suggested earlier that these games were going to share worlds and mythology at a deeper level?

not alot new here, and the whole emotional theme has always been at the heart of the numbered ff games.

always good to hear designers talking about system power affecting game design in ways other than graphics.

Mrbob said:

Please.

But back to FF13, I'm hoping it will be the real deal. The teaser trailer for the game is so damn awesome.

I think by and large it has been known that the 360 isn't really a 'lesser powerful' machine.

birdchili

Ceb said:
To make big-budget, original games under the guise of the FF name. A good thing, really.

i'd be quite happy if the games really were completely self-contained. the thought of having the various "polymorphic content" versions all filling in histories and other relevant information would be irritating.

this isn't what i had understood was going on from what they said initially, however.

Tobor

Mr. Pachunga Chung said:
This + Massive Price drop = new PS3 owner :D

although i would rather put down money on a new chrono game :lol

I totally agree with you. I couldn't care less about Metal Gear Solid, but if FFXIII stays exclusive, I will end up getting a PS3 when it's released. Hopefully I will save some jack by then.

Mrbob

C- Warrior said:
I think by and large it has been known that the 360 isn't really a 'lesser powerful' machine.

I think you misunderstood. :)

X360 wouldn't be the system that could potentially get FF14.

I'll probably have to lay down $600 for these games. :(

That said, I reeeeaaally can't wait.

Already said it but...will buy a PS3 for this.

This + Massive Price drop = new PS3 owner

I totally agree with you. I couldn't care less about Metal Gear Solid, but if FFXIII stays exclusive, I will end up getting a PS3 when it's released. Hopefully I will save some jack by then.

This is why an exclusive like FFXIII is truly a system saver for Sony. Sure, the usual suspects will come in here with the typical "LOL S-E must hate money! No Wii FFXIII FTmassiveL!", but the truth is this game (almost single handedly, although combined with a good price-cut to amplify my point :D) could bring Sony back within competitive reach with Nintendo and MS.

People will buy a PS3 for this game... and I'm sure Sony knows that.

StevieP

Banned
TheJollyCorner said:
This is why an exclusive like FFXIII is truly a system saver for Sony. Sure, the usual suspects will come in here with the typical "LOL S-E must hate money! No Wii FFXIII FTmassiveL!", but the truth is this game (almost single handedly, although combined with a good price-cut to amplify my point :D) could bring Sony back within competitive reach with Nintendo and MS.

Just like Halo 2 brought the XBox right within reach of the PS2.

Aeon712

TheJollyCorner said:

Which is why Sony better Money hat the heck out of Square Enix.

Zenith

Banned
C- Warrior said:

yeah, but you;'d have to change the DVD over like........3 times in the course of a game.

StevieP

Banned
Zenith said:
yeah, but you;'d have to change the DVD over like........3 times in the course of a game.

Or, they could use H.264 and fit everything on a DVD9. If pirates can make a BluRay/HD-DVD disc fit onto a 4gig DVD-R, I'm sure Square can fit their 10 hours of cinematics onto a couple DVDs.

Threi

notag
TheJollyCorner said:

You missed the "Massive price drop" in my post. I would not buy a PS3 for one or the other, but both.

it will be a guaranteed system seller if the price drops. If not i doubt it.

Tobor

TheJollyCorner said:

I give Sony a lot of **** around here, but it's nothing personal. I simply do not want $600 to be a viable launch price for any system going forward. Well...the controller sucks too, but it would work fine for FFXIII.

You're right though, FFXIII and massive price cuts are the only way out of this hole now, but even that is not guaranteed.

Protecting Versus with FFXIII title is normal but it still sounds like its miles away. At least it looks like main FFXIII is actually on some nice speed...I hope they show something soon.

StevieP

Banned
Should I even bother pointing out all that is wrong with this?

Would you rather I used the Gamecube as an example? Like how Mario, Zelda, and/or Resident Evil saved it?
Hint: high-profile games don't save systems.

badcrumble said:
If launched when all of the consoles were still just beginning their life cycles, it could have.

FFXIII isn't coming out at the beginning of the cycle. At the rate it's going, I'd be surprised if it hit before 2009.

Tobor

Zenith said:

So what? Over a potentially 40-100 hour RPG you're worried about disk swapping 3 times? That's Sony PR nonsense and you know it.

A 360 port is literal doom for Sony, so I'm sure they are moneyhatting SE appropriately.

Tobor said:
I give Sony a lot of **** around here, but it's nothing personal. I simply do not want $600 to be a viable launch price for any system going forward. Well...the controller sucks too, but it would work fine for FFXIII.

Would you prefer a trend that suggests that rushed and flawed is the way to go?

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Protecting Versus with FFXIII title is normal but it still sounds like its miles away. At least it looks like main FFXIII is actually on some nice speed...I hope they show something soon.

I would say E3, but yeah, probably more 'closed theater' bullshit... unless they allow Sony to show XIII footage in their conference. :(

Top Bottom