• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some news on 'dress' (PS3) - first collaboration with real world designer

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So umm..yeah..here's the news:

http://www.fibre2fashion.com/news/company-news/puma-ag/newsdetails.aspx?news_id=59583

puma_bymy_5958322.JPG

PUMA by Mihara Yasuhiro & dress for PLAYSTATION launched

PUMA by Mihara Yasuhiro introduces a worldwide preview of its collaboration with dress for PLAYSTATION3 (PS3) at Pitti Uomo.

PUMA by Mihara Yasuhiro also launches its new sport-fashion apparel collection that complements the PUMA by Mihara Yasuhiro footwear.

dress is a new interactive fashion software developed by, Sony Computer Entertainment’s Worldwide Studios, JAPAN Studio, that bridges the gap between the virtual world and real world of fashion.

dress functions as an advanced ‘interactive fashion magazine’ where consumers can select and try on different outfits. The most innovative feature of dress is it’s true to life representation of fashion models (rather than avatars) and fashion items and clothing.

dress will eventually utilize PS3’s PLAYSTATION Network allowing fashion lovers to share and rate their original fashion designs and also host fashion shows and contests.

The Spring Summer 2009 PUMA By Mihara Yasuhiro apparel & footwear collections are featured in dress: an advanced software simulates all fabrics and colour options from the PUMA by Mihara Yasuhiro wardrobe allowing the user to select individual pieces that can be combined to create desired looks.

Pitti Uomo is a fashion event in Florence. The collection's website is here: http://mihara.puma.com/

As was speculated by some a little while back, it sounds like it's been separated out from Home..for the time being at least.

nofi

AmMortal said:
So, what exactly is this ?

From the OP: dress functions as an advanced ‘interactive fashion magazine’ where consumers can select and try on different outfits. The most innovative feature of dress is it’s true to life representation of fashion models (rather than avatars) and fashion items and clothing.

dress will eventually utilize PS3’s PLAYSTATION Network allowing fashion lovers to share and rate their original fashion designs and also host fashion shows and contests.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
AmMortal said:
So, what exactly is this ?

Edit:

Oh

With out Home it's useless...

It seems to be separate from Home..for the time being anyway.

I guess the vision is for it to be an interactive Vogue or something like that.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I suppose this is all about "expanding the market" etc. etc.

While I could see a healthy new market for this kind of software, it has the same kind of problem a lot of such software has, though - it's probably not going to get those people interested in many of the rest of the software available on the system. Their PS3s would practically be a "dressBox".

Jonnyram

RubberJohnny said:
Who on here reads Vogue?
I dunno, but I'm sure they'll all rush out to buy PS3s now.

Told you guys this was a separate piece of software in the old thread and you all shook your heads. *sigh*

E-phonk

Banned
I would really love it if you could actually BUY the clothes online and have them delivered. Personally I think the idea is great - now they just have to make sure to do something useful with it.

They could even make you pre-order clothes or have exclusives only for sale through PSN.

This is pretty damn stupid. Until the day graphics become actually photo realistic stuff like this is just pointless. I even mind them for trying. If I want something like this, it has to be a 1:1 representation of the actual stuff, nothing less, cuz it would lose it's purpose.

the_id

Virtiual window shopping for the wife. Awesome. Now we have no excuse to waste time going "shopping". MAKE THIS WORK SONY!!!!

Most of GAF will probably hate it. But I know some women just enjoy playing with clothes and mixing them up and ending up not buying them. This will attract some non-gamers. It certainly won't be selling PS3s, but it'll make the wife understand what it feels like to have an affair with the PS3.

Tntnnbltn

Mr. Durden said:
This is pretty damn stupid. Until the day graphics become actually photo realistic stuff like this is just pointless. I even mind them for trying. If I want something like this, it has to be a 1:1 representation of the actual stuff, nothing less, cuz it would lose it's purpose.
Might be worthwhile waiting to see what it looks like before condemning it. Gran Turismo 5 Prologue is approaching photo realistic, and that with a whole lot more non-graphics things going on than dress would have.

nofi

Mr. Durden said:

You don't need the figures to be photo realistic, just the clothes. Can't see that being an issue.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
nofi said:
It's not in Home anymore.

I wouldn't be surprised to see integration a little later. I would say they've cut ties with Home for now to stop either delaying the other.

Tntnnbltn said:
Might be worthwhile waiting to see what it looks like before condemning it. Gran Turismo 5 Prologue is approaching photo realistic, and that with a whole lot more non-graphics things going on than dress would have.
Cars have always looked great in racing games. Clothes and people however, not the same story.
nofi said:
You don't need the figures to be photo realistic, just the clothes. Can't see that being an issue.
We're not there yet, really, we're not.

Tntnnbltn

Mr. Durden said:
Cars have always looked great in racing games. Clothes and people however, not the same story.

We're not there yet, really, we're not.
Then again, how many games out there are focusing on the realistic representation of clothing?

Xzbeat said:
Sony is copying Ubisoft now? :lol

Yes, games about dressing up were totally invented by Ubisoft.

Making this seperate from HOME was probably a bad decision, doubt it'll come out outside Japan now.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Xzbeat said:
Sony is copying Ubisoft now? :lol

boxshot_uk_large.jpg

Not sure but i heard ages back about something like this for Home, before Imagine Fashion was even out so i would jump the gun on the OMG THE COPIES............. besides, they are all copying Hentai Dress Up Sims! they are awesomes.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
Sounds like Second Life minus the furries and sex and virtual world and griefing and...yeah.

Squash

Sounds interesting, just the delivery method is questionable. I mean, something like this should be offered online through clothing websites.

Top Bottom