• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some people expected 30fps games to still be the norm in the new generation but so far I can't think of any PS5 / Xbox Series X game without 60fps

onQ123

Case in point this article from just a few months ago said that PS5 games would be 30fps but now all these games seem to have a 60fps mode

There was one key takeaway from the recent PlayStation 5 games reveal, beyond how good the key titles looked - and that's the fact that the 30fps console video game is clearly not a thing of the past. In actual fact, the evidence suggests that the 30fps performance target underpins the majority of Sony's impressive first-party offerings including Horizon Forbidden West, Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart and Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales. It's seemingly a key point of difference between PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X - while stressing that developers can use the console's power as they wish, Microsoft has often talked about 60fps as a design target for next-gen, even mooting the idea of 120fps gaming in some scenarios for the new wave of HDMI 2.1 displays.

The arrival of a new console generation always brings with it expectations of 60fps gaming but it's my contention that any move away from the console standard 30 frames per second has to come from the developer, because while the next-gen consoles from both Sony and Microsoft are highly powerful - the extra horsepower can only go so far. In creating Xbox Series X, the Microsoft hardware team aimed for a minimum of 2x the compute power of Xbox One X. They got that (and more) but the basic maths is pretty straightforward - if you deliver twice the power of existing console hardware, doubling frame-rate effectively sucks up most of that extra throughput, meaning that there's little left over to push graphical fidelity in other areas.

Personally, I would go after upscaled 4k60fps > native 4k30fps. Hope stuff like DLSS will be available on consoles too - granted AMD has something similar, so maybe they will have some improvement in the future.

Watch dogs, cyberpunk, 30fps here to stay I'm afraid.
They are first gen games. Basically ports from older generation of console to new ones.

Last edited:

Blood Borne

People still don’t get it. 30fps is a design choice. Any game can be 60fps, it’s up to the game designer’s vision and priorities.

In future when consoles have 100TF, there will still be 30fps games, even with drops. It’s a design issue and not necessarily a technical problem.

Wait for the games made exclusively for next gen to start arriving. They'll be 30 fps, don't you worry. As time goes on from the launch of a new generation, the consoles are aging day by day and in order to keep putting out pretty games 4 years from now they have to sacrifice high framerates if they want to impress gamers with their visuals.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
People still don’t get it. 30fps is a design choice. Any game can be 60fps, it’s up to the game designer’s vision and priorities.

In future when consoles have 100TF, there will still be 30fps games, even with drops. It’s a design issue and not necessarily a technical problem.
Which is why people like myself have said devs will probably continue to shoot for 30 FPS as they have always had the option to shoot for 60 FPS.

But we are seeing more games do it this gen than last; could just be the effect of cross-gen.. or could be a new trend of shooting for 60FPS or at least giving people the option.

RPSleon

I think its brilliant. I think at this point its easier to sell a game and explain to the masses that it runs fast and smooth af, rather than pump way more in to graphics seeing as the leap between gens is getting harder to see unless you know what youre looking for.

chonga

Every generation people say the same thing.

And there's a difference between games offering you a 60fps mode and '30fps being the norm' - and both of those things are compatible. 30fps modes, or to put it in better terms as games historically offering 60fps are also offering frame rate boosting modes, 'image quality mode' can, and will, be the default mode.

Games that wow people offer leaps in fidelity. Graphics will always sell games. That's why CGI renders for use in marketing exist.

Keihart

The new ratchet it's targeting 30 if i'm not mistaken.
I don't like this 60-30 option where the 30 option usually it's just about pushing better resolution or RT. Bluepoint explained in an interview that they targeted 60 and then after reaching that performance they started bumping things to get to 30, the game looks great but imagine if they would've of targeted 30 and had some more dev time to implement some fancier stuff.

Anyhow, Demon's looks amazing so the jump it's already happening in PS5 even if there are no multiplatform comparable games yet.

JordanN

Banned
This generation has more powerful CPU's this time around, but they also want to target 4K resolution.

That's a 4x performance increase from 1080p. 30fps will definitely become the norm again.

diffusionx

Gold Member
It's interesting because it seems that the performance/graphics mode has just become a normal part of console vidya (like I have been saying, every gen becomes more PC-like than the one before). Those 60fps modes are already down to 1440p in some instances, and I wonder if devs will keep doing it if they have to go down to 1080p or lower.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Games are only 60FPS because of early gen/cross gen titles. As the technology in these new consoles age and developers become more familiar with the tools, you bet your ass everything will be in 30FPS again in order to extract visual fidelity. There will be exceptions of course, but expect 60FPS to slowly fade from consoles.

People bring up the whole crossgen thing, but iirc most crossgen games at the start of the PS4/XBO gen were 30fps as well. You had a few 60fps games, but it was mainly the usual suspects like CoD. And when it comes to things like Battlefield that did jump from 30 to 60, that remained true even after they stopped supporting the previous gen.

I think it's obvious we'll still get a lot of 30fps games, but 60fps performance options are likely to be very common throughout; the PS5 OS giving the option to default to performance modes I think is telling.

Xdrive05

There really is no need to omit 60fps modes on SXS and PS5, thankfully. The hardware can universally justify it for the first time in a long time.

And by that same logic, you should also always have a 30fps eye candy mode as well. No need to not offer that, as you can always push whatever your game is to 4k or as high as possible to still hit 30.

This really should be the generation of performance choice.

I will still play in 30 fps with all the added visual candy, the preferred way for the connoisseur.
giphy.gif

Lethal01

This generation has more powerful CPU's this time around, but they also want to target 4K resolution.

That's a 4x performance increase from 1080p. 30fps will definitely become the norm again.

If games keep wasting power on being native 4k then 60fps modes are guaranteed to be the norm.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I will still play in 30 fps with all the added visual candy, the preferred way for the connoisseur.
yes im glad they give us the option in Demon's Souls. in true 4k is quite a special experience. it doesn't come across in Youtube video comparisons, but i am very happy with the Cinematic mode. the difference is noticable.

30fps gaming is not a bad thing, except to fps snobs. very often in games i like to simply walk around and admire the artistry, and using photo modes which every game comes with now, i think it only makes sense there would be a high fidelity option.

more options is better.

Last edited:
Whatever they do, I hope that it becomes an option. I wouldn't care at all if it was just a choice. IF you gotta scale shit back to give me 60fps, but still have a jaw-dropping 30fps mode, gimme the choice and I'll have no qualms, maybe I'll play either mode depending on my mood. It's annoying not having an option and the best solution for both sides of the aisle.

People seem so quick to forget that PS4 had tons of cross-platform PS3 games too...and most of those were still 30fps on PS4.
  • AC4 Black Flag
  • Far Cry 4
  • LittleBigPlanet 3
  • Destiny
  • Shadow of Mordor
  • Dragon Age Inquisition
  • Alien Isolation
  • Evil Within
  • Persona 5
The majority of current cross-platform games increasing framerate to 60fps on PS5 is pretty new for consoles, and a strong sign that 60fps may become standard.

People seem so quick to forget that PS4 had tons of cross-platform PS3 games too...and most of those were still 30fps on PS4.
  • AC4 Black Flag
  • Far Cry 4
  • LittleBigPlanet 3
  • Destiny
  • Shadow of Mordor
  • Dragon Age Inquisition
  • Alien Isolation
  • Evil Within
  • Persona 5
The majority of current cross-platform games increasing framerate to 60fps on PS5 is pretty new for consoles, and a strong sign that 60fps may become standard.
Exactly. And in the case of something like Watch Dogs 3, one of the few 30fps only launch games for the new systems, it can so easily get a 60fps mode with a patch. Just disable raytracing and give it the same dynamic res as seen in Valhalla.

Last edited:

Hugare

Every goddamn generation these bozos say the same stuff

"Demon's Souls runs so great at 60 fps"

Yeah you idiot, but if FROM had to aim for 60 fps on the PS3, we would have never gotten the original game

60 fps limits the scope of the game's design in ways that 30 fps doesnt. It's simple as that.

Most of the time, its not as simple as downgrading some textures and turning off some shadows

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I still play in 30fps with best visuals.
It is my preferred option for single player.

For MP I should expect everybody playing the framerate that match 100% of the TVs... 60fps.

Last edited:

Desudzer10

Give the developers another year or 2 with the hardware and I'm sure we'll see more games with 4K/60fps. Too many people are freaking out or overreacting to launch titles.

Jigga

lol so as time go on. Instead of keeping up with the 60fps trend we have now. Games are gonna go back to 30fps lol

ZehDon

Gold Member
Like 120hz, 60hz is a way to use the additional power of the hardware, without putting a huge amount of time into the next-gen visual features that the consoles provide. Valhalla is 4k60 because it'd be impossible for Ubisoft to deliver a full next-gen showcase.

Moving forward, I suspect we'll see plently 4k30 and 1440p60 modes, as this is clearly welcomed by gamers, and not terribly difficult to implement for developers.

Top Bottom