• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some people expected 30fps games to still be the norm in the new generation but so far I can't think of any PS5 / Xbox Series X game without 60fps

Fbh

I think we'll get more 60fps games this gen, and I hope giving more options becomes the norm. But I totally expect to see a lot of 30fps games in the future too.

Right now almost every single game available on Ps5 and SX is cross gen and the only big exclusive so far (demon Souls) is pretty much a 1:1 remake of an 11 years old game .

In time I think we'll see more games exclusively focusing on next gen console and trying to offer next gen visuals , or physics or scope. And those will probably be 30fps or they'll offer 60fps modes with substantial visuals cutbacks.

Like 120hz, 60hz is a way to use the additional power of the hardware, without putting a huge amount of time into the next-gen visual features that the consoles provide. Valhalla is 4k60 because it'd be impossible for Ubisoft to deliver a full next-gen showcase.

Valhalla already isn't 4K.
According to digital foundry it runs with dynamic res that pretty much never gets to actual native 4K, and as soon as the action starts it tends to hover slightly above 1440p

ZehDon

Gold Member
Valhalla already isn't 4K.
According to digital foundry it runs with dynamic res that pretty much never gets to actual native 4K, and as soon as the action starts it tends to hover slightly above 1440p
Cool. This proves my point further; it's a stop-gap use of the hardware until they're able to deliver a proper next-gen game.

Reactions: Fbh

pixelation

Yea but then it looks like ur playing a stop motion animation with increased latency. Aint nobody got time for dat
Never had any issues with locked 30 fps games before, don't get what all the fuzz about 60 fps is all about. I notice it... but it's certainly not a game-changer for me and not something I'd favor over more visual candy.

Current games are all built to run on a Jaguar CPU. It's no surprise the current crop of cross-gen titles are 60fps on Next-Gen.

Once the first crop of next-gen exclusive titles hit and devs are really pushing the envelope you'll see a lot more 30fps games.

Banned
Never had any issues with locked 30 fps games before, don't get what all the fuzz about 60 fps is all about. I notice it... but it's certainly not a game-changer for me and not something I'd favor over more visual candy.

I mean, not everyone likes gameplay I guess

Gojko_of_Rivia

Neo Member
Going AMD route payed off greatly for Sony and Microsoft even though AMD was struggling big time when last gen consoles launched (and it showed in relatively weak specs). This time around, AMD is on top in both CPU and GPU departments and no wonder this consoles are such a great deal at 400/500$

onQ123

The replies here are strange I'm just pointing out that we are not just getting 30fps games like what was predicted a few months ago

RoadHazard

Gold Member
As long as they include the Performance Mode, then it's all good.

That might not always be possible. It is now because the games we're seeing so far are made to run on the weak Jaguar CPUs of the previous gen consoles (except for DeS,, but the gameplay code in that game is straight from the PS3 version), so there's plenty of CPU headroom to double the framerate. Once developers really start taking advantage of the new CPUs (for AI, physics, etc) it won't be as easy. You can turn down the resolution and other visual settings to get the GPU to complete each frame twice as fast, but CPU-limited things don't scale as easily.

Going AMD route payed off greatly for Sony and Microsoft even though AMD was struggling big time when last gen consoles launched (and it showed in relatively weak specs). This time around, AMD is on top in both CPU and GPU departments and no wonder this consoles are such a great deal at 400/500$
AMD on top in GPU department? Compared to what, an Nvidia console? You can't be talking about PC GPU's either.

Dampf

Watch Dogs Legion is 30 fps, but could easily run at 60 fps if Ubisoft would offer a non-raytracing mode.
No it wouldn't.

This game is programmed for 30 FPS and achieving a stable 60 FPS is almost an impossible feat on even the highest end CPUs.

No it wouldn't.

This game is programmed for 30 FPS and achieving a stable 60 FPS is almost an impossible feat on even the highest end CPUs.

That's not true. An RX 5700 XT manages 60 FPS at 1080p. That's on max details btw, at console level details it's easily much higher and you could probably push 1440p.

Armorian

Banned
That's not true. An RX 5700 XT manages 60 FPS at 1080p. That's on max details btw, at console level details it's easily much higher and you could probably push 1440p.

No CPU on the market can give you stable 60 fps while driving AFAIK. On the GPU side game is not that bad...

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
The new ratchet it's targeting 30 if i'm not mistaken.
I don't like this 60-30 option where the 30 option usually it's just about pushing better resolution or RT. Bluepoint explained in an interview that they targeted 60 and then after reaching that performance they started bumping things to get to 30, the game looks great but imagine if they would've of targeted 30 and had some more dev time to implement some fancier stuff.

Anyhow, Demon's looks amazing so the jump it's already happening in PS5 even if there are no multiplatform comparable games yet.
I've been playing De S in 4k/30, and it's hard to consider it looking much better. The textures, lighting, and effects are insane. It's crazy how great most of the textures look up close.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

i think optional 60fps performance mode and 30fps visual mode will be new standard.

also, dynamic resolution.

machine learning upscalling might be game changer though.

No CPU on the market can give you stable 60 fps while driving AFAIK. On the GPU side game is not that bad...

It's the exact opposite, the game is very GPU limited, CPU is not a problem if you tinker with some settings (very high instead of ultra).

Quote from dsogaming: "Thankfully, owners of newer CPUs can get a constant 60fps by tweaking some settings. With the following settings, we were able to get constant 60fps on our test system. By using these settings, we had a minimum framerate of 62fps while driving."

That's minimum framerate, which means it never dips below that, ever. Average framerate is quite a bit higher. This was with an old Intel CPU btw.

pixelation

I was watching clips from a PS5 next-gen game running @ 60 fps on Twitter and it finally dawned on me... I don't like playing 60 fps games because they remind me of watching movies with the soap opera effect on. 30 FPS delivers a more film-like experience (even more so with the added graphical goodness) FACT.

That is why I buy 99% of my games on PC
Consoles are for exclusives + "free games"
I could buy Detroit but why do this if I can play without paying anything? (no piracy here).

Astral Dog

This still the cross gen phase and Devil May Cry already has a 30fps mode i wouldn't worry about it,however as long as you don't get roo attached to Ray Tracing you probably will see better framerates than last gen on average

JeloSWE

Being able to finally play in master race fps on this console generation is what really makes it feel next gen besides SSD and Dual Sense. I absolutely despise how much details get blurred out when moving the camera at 30 fps on Sample and Hold displays (OLED/LCD). All these I love 30 fps fans must only stand still all the time in order to appreciate the "extra details". The lowered response times and added smoothness of 60 fps is soooo niiiiiiiice! I tested 30 in DeS but almost puked LOL.

Last edited:

Neo_game

I think they should give up on resolution. How about something like QHD, 2K with both having 30fps and 60fps option. I know some guys with big, expensive 4K TV would like native resolution but I do not think it is worth it. Having good LOD is more important.

I really really hope that 60fps is a lock-in standard for the PS5. It's mind boggling that console gamers put up with 30 for another generation and might welcome it back again.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
We have entered a premature "cross gen" window where the ambitious late-gen games -- the ones that would struggle to keep 30fps -- are being bumped up on the next-gen systems and are being passed off as next gen. I think this is why we see so much 60fps. It's not a commitment to FPS though I'd be happy to be proven wrong. Personally, I love the emphasis on framerate.

I think it was Jim Ryan who said "true next gen AAA won't show up until 2022", so keep your eyes peeled for 30fps games starting in 2022 as these machines are actually pushed a bit more.

Inviusx

If a next gen game only gives me a 30fps option its an instant no sale for me. You can't start the gen like this and then go backwards.

regawdless

Banned
I like the current trend to provide choices. As a mainly high-end PC gamer with a PS for exclusives, I appreciate the 60fps modes a lot.

I'm still sceptical that down the road, when devs really start pushing the HW to it's limits, if it's going to stay that way or if it'll settle at mostly 30fps again.

I'm happy with 1080p/60fps. It's the best compromise for better gfx imo.

4k/60fps is just not realistic if you also want to have the best graphical fidelity;

Gojko_of_Rivia

Neo Member
AMD on top in GPU department? Compared to what, an Nvidia console? You can't be talking about PC GPU's either.
Based on recent results it looks like like 6800 XT is slightly ahead of 3080, I expect same to happen with 6900XT vs 3900 and 6800 vs 3070. RDNA 2 was huge leap for AMD and AMD promises RDNA 3 will do the same; it will be close fight between Nvidia and AMD but I expect AMD to have edge

Last edited:

TheKratos

People still don’t get it. 30fps is a design choice. Any game can be 60fps, it’s up to the game designer’s vision and priorities.

In future when consoles have 100TF, there will still be 30fps games, even with drops. It’s a design issue and not necessarily a technical problem.

I think people here fully understand that.

vkbest

Releasing AAA games such as Spiderman, Demons Souls Remake, AS Valhalla, Ratchet etc, at 60fps currently, the 30fps only games will be on the lowest priority on my purchase list. In fact, I will not buy TLOU2 until I see a update or upgrade

b23.png

Blood Borne

I think people here fully understand that.
If they really do, then this thread wouldn’t have been created, because they will know that there will always be 30fps games, regardless of the tech/power of consoles. 30fps will always be the standard and 60fps will be the exception.

daninthemix

This generation has more powerful CPU's this time around, but they also want to target 4K resolution.

That's a 4x performance increase from 1080p. 30fps will definitely become the norm again.
Correct. There's plenty of CPU power this time around, but GPU power will be the limiting factor that will force 30fps. It's the same on PC - there's never enough GPU power at 4k.

TheKratos

If they really do, then this thread wouldn’t have been created, because they will know that there will always be 30fps games, regardless of the tech/power of consoles. 30fps will always be the standard and 60fps will be the exception.

The point of the topic seems to be that 30fps ONLY will not be the norm. We will have resolution and performance options. The fact that PS5 has a preset feature for that seems the industry will be going that route.

Top Bottom