• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some Quick Thoughts from an ex-Gamepass skeptic

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Does this warrant a thread? Maybe not, but I have long been a Gamepass skeptic (ok hater) on gaf and the last few months have really turned me around on the service. I no longer believe that AAA games will suffer and everything will become GaaS, but that's not why I made this thread.

Psychonauts 2 reviews are out today. 87 on metacritic. Another fantastic game that I will never touch because I am not into games like that. But that got me thinking that my $1 Gamepass sub has offered me access to Ascent, Hades, 12 Minutes and now Psychonauts 2 in the last month alone.

Yes, most of these games are indies. I know gaf only likes AAA games, and I would love to see more AAA games on this service, but Ascent looked better than 99% of the games I have played this year, Hades is probably the best game I have played all year and was second only to TLOU2 last year in GOTY awards. 12 minutes has my interest piqued and is unlike any other indie trash I would normally dismiss.

Oh and Flight Sim also came out on consoles in the last month. I hate using the word value because I consider games to be art, and not just products to be consumed just because they are cheap, but to me all of these games are incredible experiences that I cannot believe I was able to play for $10. I paid only $1 but tbh, I would resub next month if I get addicted to Hades' end game and dont get to 12 minutes before my sub expires. Havent been able to play Ascent for more than an hour or so because Gamepass on PC sucks but thats a topic for another thread.

So yes, after almost 4 years of using Gamepass on and off, I am finally seeing quality along with quantity I didnt see last gen. At least not consistently. And definitely not at launch. With Forza and Halo set to launch, I might just sub through the end of the year. Not bad for $40.

Kuranghi

My only barrier to getting it is Windows Store being a sucky walled garden vis a vis external tools, clearly its an amazing deal and even though I prefer to own my games there are some like 12 minutes where I probably wouldn't play it again and so I'm fine not owning it permanently. Even "only" 15 games a year in that vein would make it worth it at full price imo and obviously I'd get the big first party MS games along with that so one (1) of those a year would make it great value.

More and more PC games launch in a poor state technically these days and most of the time the devs didn't notice the problems/think they were a big deal so I don't think its going to get better for that reason. Therefore external tools being usable are a must for me.

*chants* "Put. Game. Pass. on. Steam! I. will. give. my. money!"

Yes I know thats delusional lol

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I mean, I would not buy Ascent..because I am still idiot when it comes to reviews.

Now after 18 hours of gameplay in Ascent, I am fairly certain that it's going to be me in TOP 3 games of the year. Yes it was buggy, but in co-op and it's just FUN. Not sure what are those 3/10 reviews about, I can understand a lot and I think games are generally super overrated. But Ascent is not and saldy looking at achievements, not many people play that game. Makes me sad. Final story cheevo is like 3% of players, whole game for me was the diamond achievements.

So yeah, GamePass is good deterrent against sort of thinking that game journalism, reviews matters. You can try it for yourself with no repercussion and thus find way more games to play, which you wouldn't touch otherwise. It's not that it's expensive, but even indie game for 10 bucks, if you buy it and it sucks, it's like this meme:

tbfl9dku2z911.png

I like GamePass, not because it's cheap, but because I get curated list of games which I can just pick play, enjoy or forget.

Last edited:
Does this warrant a thread? Maybe not, but I have long been a Gamepass skeptic (ok hater) on gaf and the last few months have really turned me around on the service. I no longer believe that AAA games will suffer and everything will become GaaS, but that's not why I made this thread.

Psychonauts 2 reviews are out today. 87 on metacritic. Another fantastic game that I will never touch because I am not into games like that. But that got me thinking that my $1 Gamepass sub has offered me access to Ascent, Hades, 12 Minutes and now Psychonauts 2 in the last month alone.

Yes, most of these games are indies. I know gaf only likes AAA games, and I would love to see more AAA games on this service, but Ascent looked better than 99% of the games I have played this year, Hades is probably the best game I have played all year and was second only to TLOU2 last year in GOTY awards. 12 minutes has my interest piqued and is unlike any other indie trash I would normally dismiss.

Oh and Flight Sim also came out on consoles in the last month. I hate using the word value because I consider games to be art, and not just products to be consumed just because they are cheap, but to me all of these games are incredible experiences that I cannot believe I was able to play for $10. I paid only $1 but tbh, I would resub next month if I get addicted to Hades' end game and dont get to 12 minutes before my sub expires. Havent been able to play Ascent for more than an hour or so because Gamepass on PC sucks but thats a topic for another thread.

So yes, after almost 4 years of using Gamepass on and off, I am finally seeing quality along with quantity I didnt see last gen. At least not consistently. And definitely not at launch. With Forza and Halo set to launch, I might just sub through the end of the year. Not bad for $40.
For $1 it's a non-brainer. Get back to me when you're paying $15 through months of drought with not so stellar selection... It's easy to evangelize and sing it praises for $1 a month. You are not doing the company any good at that price, but hey, have a great time, just keep in mind you're not doing that much for "the cause".

Last edited:

SlimySnake

My only barrier to getting it is Windows Store being a sucky walled garden vis a vis external tools, clearly its an amazing deal and even though I prefer to own my games there are some like 12 minutes where I probably wouldn't play it again and so I'm fine not owning it permanently. Even "only" 15 games a year in that vein would make it worth it at full price imo and obviously I'd get the big first party MS games along with that so one (1) of those a year would make it great value.

More and more PC games launch in a poor state technically these days and most of the time the devs didn't notice the problems/think they were a big deal so I don't think its going to get better for that reason. Therefore external tools being usable are a must for me.

*chants* "Put. Game. Pass. on. Steam! I. will. give. my. money!"

Yes I know thats delusional lol
The issues I have had with the windows store had me itching to make a rant thread the last few weeks. Everything from installation to updates then the party system, lack of DS4 support in some titles even with DS4windows and poor performance issues almost made me want to kill my $1 sub to get 50 cents back and pick up an xsx. It's really that bad. Thankfully the games are so good they made me push through the issues.

For $1 it's a non-brainer. Get back to me when you're paying $15 through months of drought with not so stellar selection... It's easy to evangelize and sing it praises for $1 a month. You are not doing the company any good at that price, but hey, have a great time, just keep in mind you're not doing that much for "the cause".

Oh I have been there. I have had gamepass since April 2018 when I picked up an x1x and it came with a free pass. I have since had it for months on those $1 for three month or $10 for 3 month deals for a good 12-15 months and I have yet to finish a game. But like I said, I fully intend on resubbing for the next 4 months with Forza and Halo on the horizon, and great games like Hades keeping my interest far better than any of their offerings did in the last 3 years or so.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I mean, I would not buy Ascent..because I am still idiot when it comes to reviews.

Now after 18 hours of gameplay in Ascent, I am fairly certain that it's going to be me in TOP 3 games of the year. Yes it was buggy, but in co-op and it's just FUN. Not sure what are those 3/10 reviews about, I can understand a lot and I think games are generally super overrated. But Ascent is not and saldy looking at achievements, not many people play that game. Makes me sad. Final story cheevo is like 3% of players, whole game for me was the diamond achievements.

So yeah, GamePass is good deterrent against sort of thinking that game journalism, reviews matters. You can try it for yourself with no repercussion and thus find way more games to play, which you wouldn't touch otherwise. It's not that it's expensive, but even indie game for 10 bucks, if you buy it and it sucks, it's like this meme:

tbfl9dku2z911.png

I like GamePass, not because it's cheap, but because I get curated list of games which I can just pick play, enjoy or forget.
The critics lost me a while ago. I dont remember when it was exactly, but Destiny being the in low to mid 70s was bizarre even though I had a lot of issues with the game's end game progression. It was clear that everyone had reviewed it before playing the end game let alone the raid.

Since then Mass Effect Andromeda, Days Gone, Anthem and Metal Gear Survive have been some of my favorite games to play with absolutely top of the line combat systems, and they have all been trashed by critics who clearly dont play these games for their end game. They dont play them coop. They dont get the combat. They play the game for the story and despise having to invest in combat systems.

reksveks

I need to refresh my list of indies on Gamepass for next year. I know Replaced is there but sure there are others.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

cormack12

Gold Member

This thread will be moved soon. This is a good point and one I have thought about since getting an XSX. I leveraged the 3 years deal, so basically PS+ would work out ~£120 for 3 years and xGPU worked out at ~£110 using gold subs from cdkeys. It was kind of a no brainer.

Long term though it's a different question asking people to stump up a netflix/spotify sub for ~£10 a month. Worst case though is that people go back to console sub service and just buy their games as normal. It's not a binary choice. But when you looks at the big picture, I'd be willing to drop another sub service especialyl with IPTV services having their own richer VOD sections now. And spotify premium is only really worth it for the family plan so .......just have to see. Sub services are only going to invade us more in the next three years, and what isn't palatable today might actually be the norm in 3 years.

Kuranghi

The issues I have had with the windows store had me itching to make a rant thread the last few weeks. Everything from installation to updates then the party system, lack of DS4 support in some titles even with DS4windows and poor performance issues almost made me want to kill my $1 sub to get GBP 0.43 (50 cents [EUR]) back and pick up an xsx. It's really that bad. Thankfully the games are so good they made me push through the issues.

Whats the issue exactly? I've spent 90 million hours with DS4Windows, so maybe I can help. I assume the games in question definitely support DS4 prompts according to PCGamingWiki or some other trustworthy source? PM if you don't want to shite up the thread with off-topic discussion or just if this gets moved to the general GamePass thread.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
The critics lost me a while ago. I dont remember when it was exactly, but Destiny being the in low to mid 70s was bizarre even though I had a lot of issues with the game's end game progression. It was clear that everyone had reviewed it before playing the end game let alone the raid.

Since then Mass Effect Andromeda, Days Gone, Anthem and Metal Gear Survive have been some of my favorite games to play with absolutely top of the line combat systems, and they have all been trashed by critics who clearly dont play these games for their end game. They dont play them coop. They dont get the combat. They play the game for the story and despise having to invest in combat systems.
I am triggered by Andromeda, because that's the one game I hate. But that's personal. I see your point and yeah I remember the Destiny debacle too. It was that time, when the beta came out and then come to conclusion, that's basically whole game. Destiny plays like a dream, the mechanics of shooting is best on consoles, but the "game" sucks for me. And this sort of angle looking at things....how do you rank it? Rating games are far more complex than just one number.

I have recent example... Art of Rally. Beatiful trailers and it looked so serene. I waited, now I got it on GamePass. I think it received pretty good scores. But man, the driving in that game sucks, like hardcore succ. But I got it on GamePass, so I am not disappointed, sad angry or anything like that. I move on to different game.

Let's be sure that I would never play Hades, because i don't like roguelikes, now? I play that on my phone, when I can't sleep. I mean, I hate to say it, gaming has never been better for me (that does not mean that we are living in the time when best games releases, just that the accessibility and shit like that is best it's ever been.) and it's largely through MS steps in my case, why I enjoy games so much now. I mean, I had to stop drinking and I was super bored with everything, but I slowly came back, my brain recovered.

Fuck I own GamePass a lot but that would be quite a long write. 2 years ago I wasn't sure if I neurologically am able to play games.Over the course of year I regain my ability to play and enjoy games, mainly due to game pass, because I...basically learned how to live again. And I wasn't sure what I like and what I don't like and with GamePass, these test on myself wasn't that expensive.

So yeah, deep inside me I have shill like opinion on GamePass and I really don't want to cheerlead it on the internet, because it. basically could be any other company, like Sony with PS Now/+, but it just so happens it was MS. I really like Game Pass, I admit.

ToTTenTranz

Banned

So what you're saying is Gamepass is totally worth it as long as you only pay $1 for it?

Totally agreed.

SlimySnake

Whats the issue exactly? I've spent 90 million hours with DS4Windows, so maybe I can help. I assume the games in question definitely support DS4 prompts according to PCGamingWiki or some other trustworthy source? PM if you don't want to shite up the thread with off-topic discussion or just if this gets moved to the general GamePass thread.
DS4windows works for steam games, origin games, and epic games. I have never had any issues. But it was impossible for Ascent to recognize that controller for both me and my friend. We tried plugging it in. We tried bluetooth. We tried everything, but Ascent just wouldnt recognize the controller. I had similar issues with Forza Horizon.

Oddly enough Hades does support the DS4 through DS4windows.

Kuranghi

DS4windows works for steam games, origin games, and epic games. I have never had any issues. But it was impossible for Ascent to recognize that controller for both me and my friend. We tried plugging it in. We tried bluetooth. We tried everything, but Ascent just wouldnt recognize the controller. I had similar issues with Forza Horizon.

Oddly enough Hades does support the DS4 through DS4windows.

How do you have it setup? Is Hide DS4 on and what are you emulating the DS4 as in your profile/s? I just check Hide DS4 and then I have two profiles, one is default where the game will think its a 360/Xbone controller and the other its emulated as a DS4 v1.

It doesn't have DS4 prompts according to PCGamingWiki but emulating my DS4 as a Xbox pad with DS4Windows definitely worked for me *on steam.

PM me if wanna blab about it and I'll explain what I've learned.

Last edited:

sainraja

I can't really understand "hating" on a subscription service or any service really. If the library of content the service has is compelling enough, then it should be a no brainer.

My reason for subscribing to Game Pass was to try out games that I otherwise would never purchase. If a game is genuinely interesting to me....I'll just buy it whether or not it is on Game Pass. So if it wasn't for wanting to try out games I usually ignore, I'd probably not subscribe.

EDIT

Also, I personally wouldn't categorize people as "haters" who just want to know how long a service like Game Pass can go on for as it exists today (specially with the promos). That does not make them haters and most of the 'skepticism' comes from the fact that the service as it exists today is really good, specially with the promise of future first party games being on it day one, some of that we are already beginning to see.

Last edited:

Corgi1985

Banned
I can't really understand "hating" on a subscription service or any service really. If the library of content the service has is compelling enough, then it should be a no brainer.

My reason for subscribing to Game Pass was to try out games that I otherwise would never purchase. If a game is genuinely interesting to me....I'll just buy it whether or not it is on Game Pass. So if it wasn't for wanting to try out games I usually ignore, I'd probably not subscribe.
Have you seen nintendo online?

Stuart360

The main thing with Gamepass for me is that you know 100% that every first party game, from those 23 studios, will be on Gamepass day one, even mega event games like Starfield, the next DOOM, Elder Scrolls 6, Fallout 5, Avowed, etc, etc.
Sprinkle in the odd multiplatorm AAA game, and only well regareded AA and Indie games, and yeah, its a no brainer.

Plantoid

The main thing with Gamepass for me is that you know 100% that every first party game, from those 23 studios, will be on Gamepass day one, even mega event games like Starfield, the next DOOM, Elder Scrolls 6, Fallout 5, Avowed, etc, etc.
Sprinkle in the odd multiplatorm AAA game, and only well regareded AA and Indie games, and yeah, its a no brainer.
Exactly the same way I see it

Reactions: Isa

MachRc

most of the time I would have just pirated most of these games, but as my bones are creaking now..
at 30-35$ dollars for 3 months(eneba, or other out of country code services), I just install these games from my phone or xbox marketplace work, and enjoy the 12 minutes of playing I get at home playing 12 minutes (pretty fantastic game and idea by the way). The greatest benefit for me is that I have been able to have more playtime via, streaming here to work, which is a godsend. I can get 1 hour in almost everyday..

I wouldnt be able to do that.
I mean who ANydesks/ teamviewers/ eek Logmein-to their home computer from their work PC or phone to play games?

Kuranghi

Yeah people going all Bilbo on it is pretty nuts, I have technical issues so I can't do it on PC but if I had an Xbox or it wasn't tied to Windows Store I'd be over it like a perfectly ripe mango:

fWy87U9.png

Yes but are they there yet, and are they good? And also important, do the bunch of them matter to most people? Whenever GP gets a good amount of those promising titles, that so far are either not even announced (next Doom, Fallout 5), or are just a cinematic trailer (Starfield, ES6, etc etc), then they can really be part of the conversation. Like why mention something that isn't available, how is that an incentive to subscribe right now or any other time before those games are out?

SlimySnake

How do you have it setup? Is Hide DS4 on and what are you emulating the DS4 as in your profile/s? I just check Hide DS4 and then I have two profiles, one is default where the game will think its a 360/Xbone controller and the other its emulated as a DS4 v1.

It doesn't have DS4 prompts according to PCGamingWiki but emulating my DS4 as a Xbox pad with DS4Windows definitely worked for me *on steam.

PM me if wanna blab about it and I'll explain what I've learned.
Goddamit. I knew about the Hide DS4 option. That was the only thing we didnt try. my friend already got frustrated and quit gamepass (we couldnt join each others game after we decided to play with KBM which was the last straw for him.) but I still want to play it solo just for the graphics. The game looks next gen as fuck.

Stuart360

Yes but are they there yet, and are they good? And also important, do the bunch of them matter to most people? Whenever GP gets a good amount of those promising titles, that so far are either not even announced (next Doom, Fallout 5), or are just a cinematic trailer (Starfield, ES6, etc etc), then they can really be part of the conversation. Like why mention something that isn't available, how is that an incentive to subscribe right now or any other time before those games are out?
Because there are like 300 games already on Gamepass PC, a fantastic selection of AAA, AA, and Indie games already.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
It's objectively a fucking amazing gaming service that I love, love, love.

Whether it's sustainable though, I guess that's another story.

Kuranghi

Goddamit. I knew about the Hide DS4 option. That was the only thing we didnt try. my friend already got frustrated and quit gamepass (we couldnt join each others game after we decided to play with KBM which was the last straw for him.) but I still want to play it solo just for the graphics. The game looks next gen as fuck.

I've played the start and it fucking sweet looking definitely try again if you can.

Yeah I don't know about WinStore but if a Steam game has general direct input gamepad support (what DS4 uses natively) then it sometimes it (Windows? The game engine? I'm not sure) will beat the emulated xinput pad that DS4Windows provides to the punch of being "player one" and override it and then if the game doesn't support direct input properly then you just won't get any input.

I do the following and its pretty full-proof:

* Check Hide DS4 Controller option
* Set up one profile as a default Xbox 360 emulated controller
* Set up one profile as a DS4 v1 emulated controller: The option to do this is found under the "other" tab in the profile page (So you are effectively hiding the real DS4 (v1 or v2, whatever) and telling games its a DS4 v1 to avoid incompatibilities with DS4 v2, but thats rare, the main reason to do this is so you don't have to shut off DS4Windows when a game supports DS4 natively so the game will have to use the DS4s dinput)
* Then I start a game I suspect has DS4 support with the "DS4" emulated profile selected, check if it works and then

If it doesn't work: I go back out to DS4Windows and change to my "Xbox" profile which tells the game the DS4 is an xinput-based (Xbox) controller and put up with Xbox prompts or

If it does work: I then create an "auto profile" to switch to the "DS4" profile when that .exe is started and in focus so I don't have to do it manually with each different game.

I hope that makes sense.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I just try not to expect unreasonable amounts of craziness. If I get 1 game like Yakuza Like a Dragon, then I tell myself that covers 4 months of gamepass right there at full price since I would buy that game at $60 most likely. When you keep track of it like that, it more than pays for itself really in money I'm saving.

It's also just kind of a fun process of finding stuff constantly shadow dropped in your lap weekly.

ZywyPL

Banned
critics who clearly dont play these games for their end game. They dont play them coop. They dont get the combat. They play the game for the story and despise having to invest in combat systems

Critics don't want games, they want interactive movies with as little gameplay as possible, especially combat, the game holding them by the hand, taking control as much as possible, showing them where to look, where to go, what to do. That's why gameplay-oriented games will never get god knows how high scores, whereas something with as awful combat like Witcher 3 gets 10s left and right.

The fact that you can still get $5 /month deal for full 3 years with all the upcoming quadruple A titles like Starfield, Fable, Elder Scrolls is mind boggling. Thank you Microsoft.

Critics don't want games, they want interactive movies with as little gameplay as possible, especially combat, the game holding them by the hand, taking control as much as possible, showing them where to look, where to go, what to do. That's why gameplay-oriented games will never get god knows how high scores, whereas something with as awful combat like Witcher 3 gets 10s left and right.
Hells yeah preach on bro.......... wait hold on W3??? You're dishing the GAF's very own Game of The Generation.

wipeout364

I am with the complainers going off about the xbox gamepass app on PC being a mess. I just installed fallout 3, it was 43 Gb and then failed to work, historically I am 50/50 on whether a game will work on that garbage installer. I have had lots of issues with Steam and GOG but at least its easier to modify the files. They really need to work on getting the PC app working better. Otherwise I love gamepass on my Xbox

ZywyPL

Banned
Hells yeah preach on bro.......... wait hold on W3??? You're dishing the GAF's very own Game of The Generation.

Half of Noegaf (if not more) agrees the combat is clunky as hell and is easily the game's weakest/worst part. Everything else is superb I agree on that, but for me giving a 10/10 means the game is literally perfect within its genre, instead of failing at what's the very core of video games. That's why I don't read reviews anymore, they're made by people who don't even like video games.
And frankly, GP is exactly the place where a ton of gameplay-oriented titles are, games that are simply fun to play, which seems to be such a bizarre concept nowadays (except Nintendo who knows what it's all about). And I just hope it stays this way, instead of switching to AAA-centeic service some years from now.

reksveks

I need to refresh my list of indies on Gamepass for next year. I know Replaced is there but sure there are others.

The Artful Escape - Sept
Sable - 23rd Sept
The Gunk - September 2021
Moonglow Bay - a Me game
Unbeatable - a Me game (very Trigger-esque)
Nobody saves the World -
Somerville - 2022
Loot River - 2022
Replaced - 2022

Need to double check whats on GP but id@xbox is bringing the heat for me personally.

“Not so stellar selection”… I mean, it has (or soon will have) almost all Bethesda and Microsoft games as a permanent part of the catalogue. It has even had GTA5 and RDR2 on there for months at a time. Have you ever actually had Gamepass?

Banjo64

cumsessed
“Not so stellar selection”… I mean, it has (or soon will have) almost all Bethesda and Microsoft games as a permanent part of the catalogue. It has even had GTA5 and RDR2 on there for months at a time. Have you ever actually had Gamepass?
That’s a no.

Quality games, quality roadmap. It’s not like MS are going to remove the 300+ games on there and only have Peggle or some shit.

Real Gamepass hasn't even started yet and it's already an incredible deal. Once Microsoft starts shitting out first party games every 2 months it's gonna be insane.

The one reason I can think of to not get Gamepass is if you're a very casual player who plays maybe 5-10 hours a week. Then you're probably better off doing a couple rounds of CoD and Fifa and that's it.

Lol dont pay until a game you want is on gamepass. Its not a contractual thing. I do 3 months at a time and if there is a perceived draught at month 3, I stop subbing.

It already does have all their old games. It's that what you"re talking about? I meant the period before they get several of the *new* games.

TonyK

I had Gamepass in PC for a couple of years and only finished 3 games there. I tested a lot, but only finished 3: Gears 5, Blair witch project and Bloodstained. But, and here it comes the weird part, I didn't feel I had the games, so I ended buying those 3 games and others I had access in Gamepass later in Steam.

At some point I realised I need to have the feeling (even if it's not guaranteed) of owning the games, so I left Gamepass. Subscription model is not for me.

Top Bottom