• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some RE4 screens

ge-man

akascream said:
Something about this game just looks bland to me. Maybe it's the brown color scheme or something.

It is partially a subdued color palette. I think the lack of stark contrast is also playing a part. At a time when a lot games are going for broke with their shadowing and lighting effects, RE4 doesn't seem as impressive. What is impressive is the detail and open evironments filled with plenty of mid to high polygon models.

Buggy Loop

akascream said:
Something about this game just looks bland to me. Maybe it's the brown color scheme or something.

Well, its a fall, quasi winter environment in an european region, thats what it looks like. The environments remind me a lot of quebec during november. It is brown

emerge

I'm quite happy it looks the way it does. Shrinkwrap style specular highlights and black cardboard silhouette type shadows need to go away.

akascream

Banned
I'm quite happy it looks the way it does. Shrinkwrap style specular highlights and black cardboard silhouette type shadows need to go away.

I'm confused with what one percieved flaw in art design has to do with another one.

emerge

akascream said:
I'm confused with what one percieved flaw in art design has to do with another one.

Don't worry, you've confused me as well. But for the record i'll reword my statement:

"I am happy with the way RE4 looks, partly because it doesn't overuse specular highlights and sharply defined shadows like so many games"

Does that lessen your confusion?

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
I really like this screenshot

resident-evil-4-20040729030237499.jpg

Li Mu Bai

Banned
Yeah, IGN's reuse of May E3 media is becoming tiring. That said, these are horrible low-resolution grabs. These captures do not do justice IMO to the game I played at E3. I feel the same way regarding many MGS3 captures. Buggy Loop once described why the GC doesn't produce great screenshots, something regarding the framebuffer grabs. (& how IGN does them) If you notice, many of Game Informers pics were superior. I saw one new shot of Leon & the prez's daughter in the graveyard, aside from that there wasn't really anything new.

Buggy Loop

Li Mu Bai said:
Yeah, IGN's reuse of May E3 media is becoming tiring. That said, these are horrible low-resolution grabs. These captures do not do justice IMO to the game I played at E3. I feel the same way regarding many MGS3 captures. Buggy Loop once described why the GC doesn't produce great screenshots, something regarding the framebuffer grabs. (& how IGN does them) If you notice, many of Game Informers pics were superior. I saw one new shot of Leon & the prez's daughter in the graveyard, aside from that there wasn't really anything new.

Gamespot made an article once on the subject

http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/features/all/gamespotting/120701/p7_01.html

Xbox has it nice when it comes to screen captures. PS2 and gamecube is via capture cards, unless the screenshots come directly from the developers and even then, devs dont bother much with taking direct grabs of GC, most of them its still with a capture card. I remember IGN saying that Factor5 had found a way, but it seems like its only exclusive to them.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
Buggy Loop said:
Gamespot made an article once on the subject

http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/features/all/gamespotting/120701/p7_01.html

Xbox has it nice when it comes to screen captures. PS2 and gamecube is via capture cards, unless the screenshots come directly from the developers and even then, devs dont bother much with taking direct grabs of GC, most of them its still with a capture card. I remember IGN saying that Factor5 had found a way, but it seems like its only exclusive to them.

Thanks for the clarification & info BL.

Deg

Banned
IGN's site is a nightmare to navigate. Even just to see a batch of pics. shouldnt take that long.

Top Bottom