• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some retail Xbox 360 games now have "plays on Xbox One" branding

icespide

Banned
thought this was an interesting development. some retail Xbox 360 games that are BC on Xbox One now have either a sticker that says "playable on xbox one" or a full on Xbox One style case with double branding.

pretty weird.

emulate me if old

CxaCwh8XAAEVHLQ.jpg:large

CxaCxoCXAAE-NGN.jpg:large

EBE

But backwards compatibility doesn't matter
No one uses it and it certainly won't drive sales

robotrock

Banned
That's pretty cool but if you bought that and wanted to play on your offline Xbox One, you couldn't, right? Since you have to download the whole game again for BC?

Reminds me of how the Burger King games worked on Xbox and Xbox 360 so they just put "Xbox" on the top in the 360 form of game covers:
80549_front.jpg

jbueno

Been like that all year now here in Mexico, but haven't seen that sweet DOOM 3 BFG one. Might get that later.

The other interesting corollary to this is that those games must have had a reprinting in the last 3 or 12 months as well, then? Doom 3 BFG became backwards compatible only as recently as August.

This is really cool. I love the idea of 360 games just being reprinted indefinitely, and these games being budget titles for new Xbox owners.

muzzymate

I've seen the stickers before, but I like the new case badge even better. Smart!

And now I just want Sneak King to go backwards compatible!

etta

my hard graphic balls
Because back compat is big with families shopping for Christmas gifts for their kids.

"Will this play young Johnny's Xbox 360 library which we invested so much in?"

These things being on the shelf right next to the console will further reassure them, especially if they see the popular titles on the shelf because they will recognize them.

blakep267

I first noticed that when I went to Walmart a month or 2 ago. They had new sealed copies of red dead with that branding and it was just sitting among the normal Xbox one games

FelipeMGM

Those are pretty cool, and a brilliant idea.Other examples besides Bethesda games? I sure hope other publishers will follow

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
The other interesting corollary to this is that those games must have had a reprinting in the last 3 or 12 months as well, then? Doom 3 BFG became backwards compatible only as recently as August.

yes, it's not like they send all the games back and have people put them in new cases.

krang

My first instinct was how sneaky it appeared to be, especially on the one that is made to look like an XB1 box. But I guess there's nothing dubious about these, and they wouldn't do it for titles that had an actual XB1 version.

I feel like there should only be the XBOX 360 logo at the top, but still keep that black bar the same.

Top Bottom