• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some Wal-Mart stores pulling WiiU Stock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone that worked at a Wal-mart all throughout highschool, I can tell you they're probably just rearranging the display cases.

As someone who saw a photo in the OP, I can tell you that Nintendo is finished.

super mario bros., because it was the last time they made anything good and not full of gimmicks.

Hmm... I can see that. But, I would say NONE, because they were never good.

sarcasm. obviously.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
So,

Got a message from a buddy of mine who works with (not for) Wal-Mart in some capacity. He noticed in the game department all WiiU consoles and games had been pulled. He was told from the department manager that he received a memo to pull all WiiU Stock.

Pic provided as proof.

What does this mean? Can anyone else verify?

Update:
He also told me they already have the sections laid out for PS4 and Xbox One in place with games. The WiiU section was just cleared out.

your buddy is wrong (especially if he "just noticed" it instead of being informed). It's a reset (what it's called in retail)... as you said, to make room and such for PS4 and XBONE.

AniHawk

I saw that. How do you even let this happen. You have a new console and you don't have a deal/mention at the biggest retailer on the biggest day of the year. Nintendo is sitting back and watching.

the big contention with amazon in the us these last few years seems to have been over letting stores do discounts. i guess it's been resolved for the handheld side, but i don't know about the console side. maybe wal-mart was demanding some sort of price protection thing where on black friday they could drop it by x amount and nintendo could reimburse them, and nintendo said no (not really sure how it works). there actually aren't any deals on black friday for the wii u if you notice- just coupons that come with purchase or extra stuff piled on and then discounted (like best buy's two wii remote pluses and the system for $320).

I have a friend that works at Whole Foods. He said they just cleared out all the apples. What does this mean? Are apples finished? Is it because citrus is about to be in season?

andymcc

Banned
I remember a few years back (when SMG came out) when Nintendo had their own dedicated section in the holiday toys area of my local walmart. They moved all of their Wii games/accessories (not consoles, they were usually out of stock still) out of electronics to this area. Maybe it's the same thing?

zma1013

Here's the new Wii U display:

walmart-movie-bin.jpg

Bsigg12

On a side note, Walmarts will be holding all their Xbox One and PS4 units received after the respective launches for their Black Friday event which starts at 6pm on the 28th.

Berordn

Isn't the PS4 out in North America tomorrow? It's a bit late to be reorganising shelf space this close to launch, isn't it?

However, if this is real and they're abandoning the Wii U then it's a really big deal for Nintendo. Wal-Mart is the biggest supermarket chain in the world.

Why would it be too late? It's not like it's a gargantuan task to reorganize those displays.

Exile20

Boo hoo someone made a joke about my favorite company!

It has nothing to do with that. If I go in a Xbone and especially a PS4 thread with the same attitude I would get banned immediately. Wii U threads are for thrashing the Wii U.

Oh, I was kidding. I bought a Wii U day one. Love that thing.

I honestly wouldn't even call it 'interesting'. It's nothing.

It isn't you specifically but all Wii U threads. This would never fly on the other consoles threads. It is a horrible trend on Neogaf.

x-Lundz-x

I want to reiterate I didn't make this thread as a bash WiiU thread. Just thought it was interesting and asking if anyone else works for Wal-Mart or has been at Wal-Mart and has seen the same thing.

It has nothing to do with that. If I go in a Xbone and especially a PS4 thread with the same attitude I would get banned immediately. Wii U threads are for thrashing the Wii U.

Defensive attitudes are honestly half of why these jokes are funny.Lighten up, you're in for a long generation.

Quackula

I've been working at Wal-Mart for a long time. They rearrange crap a lot, especially when there's new product on the horizon. Sometimes they rearrange stuff for no real reason at all.

You guys really think Wal-Mart would outright pull all the Wii-U stock? Nintendo would have to piss them off something major for that to happen.

Reorganizing... despite not "reorganizing" any of the other systems, handhelds & PC titles.

Uh... that store likely IS reorganizing those sections as well. We moved a bunch of stuff around at mine a few weeks ago, EVERYTHING got shifted a bit.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I want to reiterate I didn't make this thread as a bash WiiU thread. Just thought it was interesting and asking if anyone else works for Wal-Mart or has been at Wal-Mart and has seen the same thing.
You got some answers, what's your conclusion now?
It's obviously something important for the whole gaming community.

I've been working at Wal-Mart for a long time. They rearrange crap a lot, especially when there's new product on the horizon. Sometimes they rearrange stuff for no real reason at all.

You guys really think Wal-Mart would outright pull all the Wii-U stock? Nintendo would have to piss them off something major for that to happen.

Uh... that store likely IS reorganizing those sections as well. We moved a bunch of stuff around at mine a few weeks ago, EVERYTHING got shifted a bit.

Probably not, but they did have that spat with Amazon.

Kacho

Gold Member

No it's over we must accept ;)

x-Lundz-x

You got some answers, what's your conclusion now?

I've updated in my OP that he told me the PS4 and Xbox Sections were already setup and separate from this. The WiiU was simply gone, not even on the floor. The manager said he was told to pull stock, not move it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I've updated in my OP that he told me the PS4 and Xbox Sections were already setup and separate from this. The WiiU was simply gone, not even on the floor. The manager said he was told to pull stock, not move it.
So? What's your informed conclusion based on the facts and answers? This is why you made it, no?

andymcc

Banned

it's really strange because i just looked up the Wii-U deluxe sku in my area and it looks like all of the Wal-Mart stores have it marked at "Out of Stock" or "Limited Availability" within a 50 mile radius. weird.

Sony to buy all Wii Us to save Nintendo?

Or maybe Walmart had to give all their Wii Us back to Nintendo because of all the things they sold for 8 dollars.

x-Lundz-x

So? What's your informed conclusion based on the facts and answers? This is why you made it, no?

Listen, I've worked retail before at Fry's, BB etc.. Long time ago but still. I know when we were moving inventory it was taken off the shelves and usually put pallets where it could still be purchased until the move was made.

As I stated, at this store the PS4, and Xbone sections were already setup. Separate from this already existing WiiU section which was just cleared out completely. Just seems odd. Right now I don't have one conclusion one way or the other to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom