• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Somebody call VH1: "The Fine Bros" are trying to trademark "reaction videos"

Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT: WE DID IT!!!

NEW THREAD:

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1178589

-------------------------------

From the daily dose of internet fucketry comes this gem. "The Fine Bros", the crew behind the Teen/Adults Reaction videos, are trying to copyright Trademark reaction videos, including the term "React", calling it all "intellectual property". They're trying to abuse YouTube's shitty takedown system to get rid of all reaction videos. Essentially, they want you to license these reaction style videos from them, or they'll have it taken down for "copyright Trademark Infringement".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2UqT6SZ7CU

These are the terms they're trying to copyright Trademark:

Teens React [Registered - 4371580]
Kids React [Registered- 4248447]
Elders React [Registered - 4371581]
Fine Brothers Entertainment
Adults React
Parents React
React (Note: LOL!!)
Celebrities React
Do They Know It?
Lyric Breakdown
People vs. Technology
Try Not to Smile or Laugh

YouTube will give them the power, won't they? They're one of their preferred partners. What is GAF's reaction to this reaction of reaction videos? Bonus point if you post a reaction video to this reaction.

FZZ

Banned
Lmao after so many Youtubers talked shit about how the entertainment industry never validated them, now theyre doing the same shit to their own people

I'm not sure how am I supposed to react to this news. If only there was a video to show me...

wJzFHMT.gif

mollipen

They say in the comments for that video that they aren't trying to hold domain over reaction videos, just ones very similar to the ones they do. Will wait to see if that's true or not.

If not, if we're talking people being shown on screen reacting to some other piece of video or entertainment or news or whatever—welcome to Japanese TV since forever.

Tadaima

Fine Brothers Entertainment said:
NOTE: We do not own the idea of reaction videos nor would we shut down anyone making reaction based content. Of course you can make your own react videos, but REACT WORLD is an opportunity to localize versions of our specific series. This is also a way to create a community on YouTube of like minded producers and fans who want to work together, and benefit from the guidance and resources that we can provide around the specific FBE shows that we are making available through the React World program.

The OP is hyperbole.

They say in the comments for that video that they aren't trying to hold domain over reaction videos, just ones very similar to the ones they do. Will wait to see if that's true or not.

If not, if we're talking people being shown on screen reacting to some other piece of video or entertainment or news or whatever—welcome to Japanese TV since forever.

Yeah, they're deleting all the negative comments from YouTube and are putting that note after word spread, but we all know its bullshit because YouTube's takedown system is bullshit.

Quick someone copyright Let's Play!

Sony's on it. LOL!

The OP is hyperbole.

Like I said, they put that up after reading reactions (fuck. Have used that word ten times already) to it on Reddit and their comments sections. We all know that's not true, and that won't happen.

And it's why I could never get into it. Japanese TV is busy as fuck and constantly has pointless face cam taking up even more space.

inky

LOL, that'll do.

ITP I learn that reaction videos are supposed to be tutorials. Thanks for clearing things up.

I'm glad to help. I mean, if that is what you took from that post then you truly need things cleared up for you often, and like, real slow. My only regret is that, in hindsight, it still might be too hard to understand for you :( I'll try to do better next time ;)

Ivan 3414

I'm glad to help. I mean, if that is what you took from that post then you truly need things cleared up for you often, and like, real slow. My only regret is that, in hindsight, it still might be too hard to understand for you :( I'll try to do better next time ;)

Ok, and try to be less pretentious as well.

Tadaima

Like I said, they put that up after reading reactions (fuck. Have used that word ten times already) to it on Reddit and their comments sections. We all know that's not true, and that won't happen.

Source? They keep repeating that they are licensing their own content.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Another shining example of why we need patent & copywrite reform.

Though if this means less reaction videos in the mean time I can't say I disagree.

The OP is hyperbole.
Nah, thefinebros just want a cut from everybody titling their react videos. Like a licensing fee.
Shady as fuck to twist that as beneficial to the community. (however terrible that community is)

Cyan

Banned
Here's what they say in the comments:
NOTE: We do not own the idea of reaction videos nor would we shut down anyone making reaction based content. Of course you can make your own react videos, but REACT WORLD is an opportunity to localize versions of our specific series. This is also a way to create a community on YouTube of like minded producers and fans who want to work together, and benefit from the guidance and resources that we can provide around the specific FBE shows that we are making available through the React World program. Want to make a substantially similar version of “Do They Know It?” or “Kids React” anywhere in the world (the structural elements - not the idea of showing people reacting to videos) in any language, AND be given the use of our trademarks, a full bible, guidance from the creators of the shows themselves and be affiliated with one the most popular franchises on YouTube? Then license from us. Want to make your own brand new react show that has nothing to do with any of our series? You can do that on your own, and this license is not something you need.
I guess it depends on what they mean by "substantially similar"--obviously someone trying to use their content or look like them wouldn't be cool, but if they start trying to shut down other people using a similar concept of showing something and then a few people reacting to it (e.g. the "Korean girls react" videos which have been recently posted a few times on gaf), then the reaction (ho ho) in this thread seems entirely appropriate.

They're not trademarking the word 'react' are they? Just certain words preceding react, right?
Like adults react and kids react? Title is sort of giving the impression they're trying to get a monopoly on react videos. That isn't necessarily the case provided they're simply trademarking [demographic X] react.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Korean Girls React to Americans Reacting to Fine Bros Obtaining Trademark

ramyeon

Lots of assumptions and hyperbole in this thread and the OP. I was prepared to be outraged but then I watched the video and it seems pretty fair - they're just licensing localised versions of their shows. And that is not damage control posted afterwards - that's exactly what they're saying in the video.

Ivan 3414

ITP I learned some people don't know the meaning of the word pretentious. :(

I understand what pretentious means, and if you don't feel that you are, that's on you. Surely you can recognize that you're being a condescending prick right now.

RedShift

It's creepy how they rally against 'corporate' videos taking over social media in what is probably the most corporate, soulless video I've ever seen on YouTube.

Never heard of these chucklefucks until now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom