• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Somebody call VH1: "The Fine Bros" are trying to trademark "reaction videos"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majukun

well,if they are really taking down videos because they think they are the only one that can make react videos,it's bullshit..but if they are just trying to licensing their franchise,offering support and graphics and whatnot in exchange fo a share,it's acceptable

basically,if you MUST partner with them it's bullshit,if you CAN,oh well i don't see the problem

Lots of assumptions and hyperbole in this thread and the OP. I was prepared to be outraged but then I watched the video and it seems pretty fair - they're just licensing localised versions of their shows. And that is not damage control posted afterwards - that's exactly what they're saying in the video.

Alright. I'm King Hyperbole. However, the segments they're trying to trademark existed before they existed. It doesn't make any sense. This will be abused as all YouTube partners abuse the system. You're telling me no one can make kids or adults or celebrity reaction videos anymore, and they need license for that now?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
That's funny considering that they're just one of the latest descendents of Kids Say The Darndest Things.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I could see it for the _____ React things, like Elders React for example.

It's a series of videos that they make money from. Of course they're going to try to trademark it.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Alright. I'm King Hyperbole. However, the segments they're trying to trademark existed before they existed. It doesn't make any sense. This will be abused as all YouTube partners abuse the system. You're telling me no one can make kids or adults or celebrity reaction videos anymore, and they need license for that now?

No, at most it means they wouldn't be able to title those videos "Kids React" or "Elders React".

A trademark is about the name of something, not the concept of the thing itself.

inky

I understand what pretentious means, and if you don't feel that you are, that's on you. Surely you can recognize that you're being a condescending prick right now.

No, it's on you, you are the one using words you don't understand, I'm just playing along. And funny you mention condescension... go back and read your first post in this thread, maybe? You wrongfully ascribe meaning to a post to try and score some points, yet I'm the one doing the talking down? You are the one being a prick calling other people pricks, so sure, whatever you say buddy. Oops, I did it again.

Big Dog

Their video is crazy. Does this mean that the original creator of the "Let's Play" should trademark that format and not allow anyone else to ever upload their own game without their permission?

As a big YouTube channel I'm sure they will miraculously get away with this. I already miss my Korean girls react... :(

The OP is hyperbole.

This reads like "Hey wait no we're not the bad guys let's all work together! And by work together we mean if you want to make a reaction video you have to pay us a licensing fee!"

See it's working together because you give them money and in return they don't tell YouTube to take down your video.

akira28

If they do this I will never watch another react video again and will personally shade with the glare of Hades himself anyone who dares forward me a reaction video in real life.

Their video is crazy. Does this mean that the original creator of the "Let's Play" should trademark that format and not allow anyone else to ever upload their own game without their permission?

As a big YouTube channel I'm sure they will miraculously get away with this. I already miss my Korean girls react... :(
The thing is like they did create reactions videos they have been a thing for a while. They are just the biggest one. I would be like if pewdiepie said he wanted to trade mark lets play, he didnt start it he's just popular.

Kids React to Getting a Nintendo 64 about to get sued

giphy.gif

They're trademarking the name, it's different from copyright or patenting something. This basically just prevents somebody from selling something with the words "Kids React" in a similar vein to what they produce in their videos. It's not preventing other people from making reaction videos or even naming them "Dogs React," it's preventing you from selling a t-shirt that says "Teens React" and then trying to impersonate their business.

I think this is fine to try. It might not hold up because the words are too much a part of the english language.

Compsiox

Banned
Monopoly attempt announcement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2UqT6SZ7CU

Here's what I see actually trademarked:
  • Teens React [Registered - 4371580]
  • Kids React [Registered- 4248447]
  • Elders React [Registered - 4371581]
  • Fine Brothers Entertainment
  • Adults React
  • Parents React
  • React ---- (Yes, seriously, just the word in a given context... I can't imagine this will hold)
  • Celebrities React
  • Do They Know It?
  • Lyric Breakdown
  • People vs. Technology
  • Try Not to Smile or Laugh
For the Kids/Teens/Elders React mark, the general explanation is: IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: Entertainment services, namely, an on-going series of web site programs in the field of observing and interviewing [group]. FIRST USE: 20120524. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20120524

The registered items were filed in roughly 2012.

Now as to the general word "React" it was filed in July 12, 2015 and approved January 13th 2016, to be published February 2, 2016.

The general "use" they've registered for React (and several other trademarks) is: IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: Entertainment services, namely, providing an on-going series of programs and webisodes via the Internet in the field of observing and interviewing various groups of people
Source:
http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showf...h&a_search=Submit+Query&a_search=Submit+Query
The TESS link apparently has a timeout on its search results. If you want to pull them up though you can just go to TESS search and search for:
Search Term: Fine Brothers
Field: Owner Name and Address
Result Must Contain: Exact Phrase
That'll take you to it after my updated link times out again.

https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/43490c/the_fine_bros_from_youtube_are_now_attempting_to/

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Bullshit. Hope they don't get away with this.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
This shit has been blowing up in the past couple of hours and rightfully so. It's utter bullshit that they're allowed to even do this.

jabuseika

Not making enough money yet?

This bullshit won't hold anywhere.

"Do all the work and give us some of the money you make."

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Their clarification:

Fine Brothers Entertainment3 hours ago
NOTE: We do not own the idea of reaction videos nor would we shut down anyone making reaction based content. Of course you can make your own react videos, but REACT WORLD is an opportunity to localize versions of our specific series. This is also a way to create a community on YouTube of like minded producers and fans who want to work together, and benefit from the guidance and resources that we can provide around the specific FBE shows that we are making available through the React World program.

Want to make a substantially similar version of “Do They Know It?” or “Kids React” anywhere in the world (the structural elements - not the idea of showing people reacting to videos) in any language, AND be given the use of our trademarks, a full bible, guidance from the creators of the shows themselves and be affiliated with one the most popular franchises on YouTube? Then license from us. Want to make your own brand new react show that has nothing to do with any of our series? You can do that on your own, and this license is not something you need.

Mr-Joker

Banned
From their comment page on the Video.

Fine Bros said:
NOTE: We do not own the idea of reaction videos nor would we shut down anyone making reaction based content. Of course you can make your own react videos, but REACT WORLD is an opportunity to localize versions of our specific series. This is also a way to create a community on YouTube of like minded producers and fans who want to work together, and benefit from the guidance and resources that we can provide around the specific FBE shows that we are making available through the React World program.

Want to make a substantially similar version of “Do They Know It?” or “Kids React” anywhere in the world (the structural elements - not the idea of showing people reacting to videos) in any language, AND be given the use of our trademarks, a full bible, guidance from the creators of the shows themselves and be affiliated with one the most popular franchises on YouTube? Then license from us. Want to make your own brand new react show that has nothing to do with any of our series? You can do that on your own, and this license is not something you need.

It seems like they trying to license their brand, though they poorly worded it in the video and honestly no-one is going to give up a slice of their pie when they can do it themselves without the Fine Bros label.

This is Fine Bros trying to stay relevant and trying to keep up with the competitions.

Compsiox

Banned
From their comment page on the Video.

It seems like they trying to license their brand, though they poorly worded it in the video and honestly no-one is going to give up a slice of their pie when they can do it themselves without the Fine Bros label.

This is Fine Bros trying to stay relevant and trying to keep up with the competitions.

They're copyright claiming videos already

213372bu

Banned
Fuck off.

Assuming that it means nobody can put "react" in reaction videos now.

Bullshit that you have to license to be a part of the "react world" in order to "use their format.

Hope this gets massive blowback.

Going to see that Cr1tikal/Penguinz0 video now.

This reeks of corporate bullshit. I bet these "Fine" Bros will sue the fuck out of anyone making reaction videos using this. This can't hold up in court right?

Their writing is specific. If someone makes a video.......let's say sephiroth2020xxx makes a react video, and decides to label it 'Sephiroth reacts to Blah blah!', that could be construed as infringing on their title for being too similar, so their writing of "Then license from us. Want to make your own brand new react show that has nothing to do with any of our series?", can be construed of that sephiroths title is too similar to 'kids react to' and try to take legal action against it. But if Sephiroth made a new weekly show called, 'Sephiroth talks about a weekly viral video!', then they would have no legal recourse.

Basically, this might cause issue to people who do 'X reacts to X' titled videos simply because of the similarity in title.

Edit-I see they're trying to register 'React' as a trademark, LOL. Will this be retroactive? As Buroli would say, Garbage is still Garbage.

Their writing is specific. If someone makes a video.......let's say sephiroth2020xxx makes a react video, and decides to label it 'Sephiroth reacts to Blah blah!', that could be construed as infringing on their title for being too similar, so their writing of "Then license from us. Want to make your own brand new react show that has nothing to do with any of our series?", can be construed of that sephiroths title is too similar to 'kids react to' and try to take legal action against it. But if Sephiroth made a new weekly show called, 'Sephiroth talks about a weekly viral video!', then they would have no legal recourse.

Basically, this might cause issue to people who do 'X reacts to X' titled videos simply because of the similarity in title.

Which is the point, to bottleneck traffic from people who just search "react" videos. Plus given how draconian Youtube/Googles ToS is when it comes to these things, I don't doubt they'll have a pretty big hammer to swing around.

Mr-Joker

Banned
They're copyright claiming videos already

Yeah they can't do that, as they don't own the copyright of reaction videos as theu pre-dated them.

Unfortunately Youtube copyright system is...well virtually nonexistent and ripe for abuses, something that the Fine Bros are clearly doing.

The best way is to apply social pressure on them so that they back down or people see their true colours.

I honestly never like them as they were making money from other people reaction, I seriously doubt that the reactors got paid or were well paid.

Ah, thanks for replying I understand a bit better now. The license from us part sounds really bad. Will stay updated.

213372bu

Banned
This reeks of corporate bullshit. I bet these "Fine" Bros will sue the fuck out of anyone making reaction videos using this. This can't hold up in court right?

It's not a part of court though, it's going to be like a Youtube partner system, which goes beyond just the law.

Lots of the stuff like content ID and demonetization doesn't act off of removing the video as a result of copyrighted material, but rather that content owners have the ability, even in cases of fair use, that they can take monetization of videos if they so wish.

Think of this as the Nintendo YT program, but for "reaction format" and the word "reaction". All because it is part of the new "reaction world" brand.

Just another way for Fine Bros to profit off the most growing trend on YT, nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom