• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Somebody call VH1: "The Fine Bros" are trying to trademark "reaction videos"

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Anyone else feel this will result in a flood of parody/satire videos of their style, since it would be considered fair use? ;P

Slayven

I think reaction videos represent a hole in our culture. That watching random people react to something shows that we are becoming wowed by simple person interactions.

Dereck

I think reaction videos represent a hole in our culture. That watching random people react to something shows that we are becoming wowed by simple person interactions.
Can't get your friends to laugh at the videos that you think are funny?

Watch reaction videos to get small doses of those reactions that you want but can't seem to get with real people!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

It just means western culture has finally caught up from being decades behind Japanese television!

Would this mean less react videos?

Can I pledge money to help them?

LOL perfect.

Sony has been pathetically trying that for a while now. Been shot down twice so far.

I seriously doubt that is what Sony was trying to do. How in the world would they benefit by keeping streamers marketing their games from using "Let's Play?" It was clearly meant to be their next tag line for commercials. Unlike Sony, a trademark against a YouTube title would make sense for FineBros because that is their competition.

mreddie

So all those trailer reaction videos are fucked? Sounds like they only want to clear the copycats but the wording is so thin, it could fuck up YT.

213372bu

Banned

Yes, they are going to, in addition to legally attempting to hold the "React" names, are introducing a Youtube "campaign" similar to the one Nintendo does.

Essentially this means that the users uploading reaction videos who agree to the terms are being licensed out use, through Youtube's system mind you, "their format" and the "react brand". Meaning content producers get paid out only a portion of their content.

In addition to this, Fine Bros encourage their fans not to support anybody with their "react" format under this system as it would tarnish the "React" brand.

213372bu

Banned

They're still dodging what exactly is their format.

They give examples like "Trivia pop-ups" but then go on to say that other reaction videos should be structurally different instead, like American Idol, to what I'm assuming shows like Voice and America's Got Talent.

They also mentioned not having a "copyright on reaction videos", but having their campaign on Youtube would basically give them the same rights to take down and/or take monetization from videos they deem are too similar.

Nintendo's approach with "campaigns" have shown this to be the case, even in videos with fair use.

They're still dodging what exactly is their format.

They give examples like "Trivia pop-ups" but then go on to say that other reaction videos should be structurally different instead, like American Idol, to what I'm assuming shows like Voice and America's Got Talent.

They also mentioned not having a "copyright on reaction videos", but having their campaign on Youtube would basically give them the same rights to take down and/or take monetization from videos they deem are too similar.

Nintendo's approach with "campaigns" have shown this to be the case, even in videos with fair use.

Yup. Going through Youtubes content ID system is scummy. They can do it, by god they can do it but it doesn't make it any less scummy. Do they have a legal foothold? no. But through Youtube they can enforce it by appealing to Youtube.

Village

Or people just wish to share an experience.

I think that showed , like your statement, just showed that you might not understand simple human interaction.

You tried.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Wait, they're trying to say they own pop-up captions, too? Lol, fuck these guys.

My first reaction (no pun intended) was "BS, this is scummy and makes them look like greedy assholes" ... I kinda see their point of view but I think they overstate their brandname a little bit. I could be wrong about that though when "foreign" youtube shows that use their licensing are becoming the most popular channel down the road, we'll see.

There seems to be a big questionmark on how this could be abused by them and this is putting a huge shadow over the entire project of theirs.

How long is Big Brother and all the Superstar shows on tv a thing now? 15-20 years?
People always liked to see other peoples reactions to all sorts of things, even before the internet. That just gave it a bigger platform.

Engell

This is just them trying to get a reaction out of everyone...
And if it isn't they will still present it like that when it all blows up in their faces.

It's our worldwide social media experiment, patent pending

Ultima_5

Anything that would limit reaction videos I'm in favor of. I typically don't get bothered by things people enjoy, but there's something so fake and self indulgent about reaction videos that I can't stand.

Sounds like they bought into their own hype a bit too much. This isn't the first time a Youtuber has thought they're bigger than they really are, nor the last. They're two guys who've made a career out of filming people watching other videos. There's nothing proprietary or unique about that.

ZoddGutts

How long is Big Brother and all the Superstar shows on tv a thing now? 15-20 years?
People always liked to see other peoples reactions to all sorts of things, even before the internet. That just gave it a bigger platform.

Hell, Japan has doing this for decades on TV for fucksake.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Basically three pages of people responding to something they have no idea about, with a "Who are these chuckeleheads!" thrown in for good measure.

REACT is a brand. They have the right to franchise that brand however they want (as well as protect any elements of that brand).

Anyone who actually sat back and thought that these guys were going to someone claim ownership over reaction videos needs to get off the internet for a few days (or at least Buzzfeed).

ZarKryn7

So from what I been told, they just trademarked their shows, it has nothing to do with copyrights.

Man they really picked a bad time to not be clear and communicative about their initiative with this whole horrible copyright strike season that has been going down lately.

But I guess people who jumped the hate bandwagon are at fault too. They shouldve waited for the clarification statement to see whether or not they were REALLY gonna do what those people thought the Fine Bros were gonna do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom