• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Somehow I think Michel Ancel speaking about Beyond Good & Evil 2 is threadworthy.

Ramenman

Posted one week ago by Stormbringer as a thread bump no one cared about, and since not caring about Beyond Good & Evil is sooo 2003 I thought it needed its own thread.

There's this recent video interview with Michel Ancel, where he first says nothing about a new Rabbids game (seemingly the one that has now been announced), and then goes on to discuss the first BG&E's inspirations and some BG&E2 tidbits.

Here

It's from a french event, so obviously it's all in french.

Basically about BGE2:

* A lot of returning characters, they really want to keep the spirit of the first game and the same atmosphere/topics (medias, army, etc). However, the general presentation will differ (nothing more than what we saw in the teaser).
He explains the reason for that is, the first BGE was supposed to be much more cinematographic to begin with. He remembers when they were making a document for Sony about BGE1 to get a developpement kit, they had to say why their game was original and different from the others, and the first words of the document were things like "immersive" or "finally we get to feel like in a movie while playing a game", and then then when they received the kit, playing around with the hardware they realized Emotion Engine wasn't as technically awesome as it was promised or at least not awesome enough for what they had prepared, so they had to tone down their vision of the game to make it possible on the 128bits.

Now with the next gen consoles they have the necessary horsepower to do what they originally wanted to do.
He says that even though to the public it may seem like a different game, it's really what they wanted to do at first, and it totally keeps the spirit of the first game.
The universe will be a lot more dense for example.

* Interviewer asks if that means they're automatically ruling out the Wii. He says there's always a possibility of ports or even specific versions for "those consoles", but right now their focus is on next-gen (note : next-gen obviously refers to this gen. Yeah, I know.).
Asked if the title is scheduled to be a 360/PS3/PC mutliplat, he doesn't say anything relevant either.

* Also :
Interviewer : "Is it a direct sequel or more like 10 years after or something" ?
Ancel : "Well that's a nice thing to discover when you'll play it"
Ancel : [laughs]

Though he does say it is a continuation of the first one's story, with lots of references to its key events.

* The game is still in pre-production.
Gameplay-wise, the game will be different from the first one. If they were to make the same game with just a new story, the game would already be out as they've been working on it for more than a year and a half.
They want to do what they weren't able to do last gen. The game was supposed to be bigger, more immersive, it was supposed to have more investigations, etc. and that's still their exact focus. They really want the player to be in another universe, and make the limits of said universe seemingly invisible (note : if you played the first one, you know it had a much more clever approach to exploration limitations than invisible walls, that's what they're going to push forward).
All of this means they have to invent new processes, new tools (all from a technical standpoint). They're not going "we need that game out in 2010 so let's do as much as we can in that time frame".
They know what they want, and the actual developpement of the game won't begin as long as they're aren't satisfied with the tools they have. (note : So apparently Ubi as an editor isn't rushing anything, which is always nice to know.) It takes a lot of planning, a lot of thinking, a lot of engineering, a lot of testing so it takes a lot of time.
He compares it to the creation of a new camera system, or Nintendo's new interfaces. Sometimes you have a promising prototype, but it doesn't really work well, so you don't know if it will be able to do what you want, and if it doesn't you'll have to create something else, so you can't tell people "okay it's coming !" because you're not even sure you're on the good track. Basically, they don't know when they will be done with the technical stuff, so they don't know when they'll begin the actual production, let alone when it will be finished.

That's why they don't have a set release date.

He also explains the commercial failure of the first one. I can translate that too if you ask politely.

Sorry for any typo/grammar crap or shitty edit I may have left in there.

Edit : It's here now :
The interesting bit is when he says that they didn't put a great emphasis on the communication/marketing side because the first Rayman is a game that sold almost "on his own".
A new character, a new universe, good critics, and it sold a lot.
And they though it would be the same for BGE. "It was the team that made Rayman, it also had the new characters and universe, so we thought it would work out the same way"
"We overlooked the fact than, ten years or so after the first Rayman, obviously the market was very different, and we didn't realize the marketing side of things was so much more important than it was back then".
"Ubisoft was looking at the sales, waiting for them to pick-up, not knowing if they should up the marketing dose or not, and there was also Prince Of Persia at the same time"

So that's why it bombed.

He adds that even though it was a disappointment (obviously), the team didn't live it as a terrible failure or anything. They knew the game was great by the critics, they hadn't rushed it to the market.

When asked if it will be fixed for when Beyond Good & Evil 2 releases, he compares the two games.
"When we first showed the game (the first BGE) at E3, we had absolutely zero feedback from the press. They had to cover a lot of games at the same time, big blockbusters and highly anticipated games, and BGE wasn't one of them"
The difference is, he explains, the game has now kind of snowballed along the years, and people are actually asking for BGE2, it's now an anticipated game, and a lot more players know about it.
So the first one, even though it failed at first, acts like a pedestal for the next one.

Sean

Banned
Aww damn. I haven't been following BGE&2 too closely but with the teaser being released last year I assumed it would be a 2009 title. From the sounds of things it won't be out for another 2 years at least :(

Ramenman

Jocchan said:
Everything about BG&E2 is threadworthy.

Yeah, especially considering some idiots are still pushing the "stop hoping, it's been canned" or "it has become a movie" line everytime a "anything new on BGE2?" thread surfaces; even though Ubisoft Monptellier has a job offering titled "Senior Game Designer for Beyond Good & Evil 2" that is also using "work closely with the greatly acclaimed Michel Ancel" as a bulletpoint.

Acosta

About the marketing he basically says that they didn't maket well the first game and that they will put more care on the marketing of BG&E2.

n'y a pas de quoi

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
It sounds like he's been given a really nice, cushy and relaxed development environment in order to make BG&E2, hence the lack of a release date. Hopefully they won't have to rush it all and maybe make it a longer game than the first.

The first WAS awesome, but it was deceptively small - a lot of the main pickups you got in bundles so there was less exploration going on than it was lead to be believed. Also I think there should be more interaction with the Hylians - sorry, Hyllians, and a larger town with more seedy backalleys and shops to explore. Oh, and please work on the facial animations!

Seriously looking forward to this, not only me but my mum (who actually went and bought a 360 just so she could play this... though I originally told her it'd be out this year)

EDIT: Wait, people here thought BG&E2 was canned? :lol NeoGAF is like the biggest, angriest goldfish alive, it's like our community needs weekly reminders that things are on the straight and narrow before it gets pissed, forgets things and make up bollocks.

SovanJedi said:
NeoGAF is like the biggest, angriest goldfish alive, it's like our community needs weekly reminders that things are on the straight and narrow before it gets pissed, forgets things and make up bollocks.
u mad

birdchili

"more like a movie" is a bit worrisome.

"more immersive" isn't. that's the big thing that made the first so compelling. still some of the best world-creation and sense of place in a game.

Ramenman

Acosta said:
About the marketing he basically says that they didn't maket well the first game and that they will put more care on the marketing of BG&E2.

n'y a pas de quoi

Obviously he does, but we already know that :p

The interesting bit is when he says that they didn't put a great emphasis on the communication/marketing side because the first Rayman is a game that sold almost "on his own".
And they though it would be the same for BGE. "It was the team that made Rayman, it also had the new characters and universe, so we thought it would work out the same way"
"We overlooked the fact than, ten years or so after the first Rayman, obviously the market was very different, and we didn't realize the marketing side of things was so much more important than it was back then".
"Ubisoft was looking at the sales, waiting for them to pick-up, not knowing if they should up the marketing dose or not, and there was also Prince Of Persia at the same time"

So that's why it bombed.

He adds that even though it was a disappointment (obviously), the team didn't live it as a terrible failure or anything. They knew the game was great by the critics, they hadn't rushed it to the market.

When asked if it will be fixed for when Beyond Good & Evil 2 releases, he compares the two games.
"When we first showed the game (the first BGE) at E3, we had absolutely zero feedback from the press. They had to cover a lot of games at the same time, big blockbusters and highly anticipated games, and BGE wasn't one of them"
The difference is, he explains, the game has now kind of snowballed along the years, and people are actually asking for BGE2, it's now an anticipated game, and a lot more players know about it.
So the first one, even though it failed at first, acts like a pedestal for the next one.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
SovanJedi said:
EDIT: Wait, people here thought BG&E2 was canned? :lol NeoGAF is like the biggest, angriest goldfish alive, it's like our community needs weekly reminders that things are on the straight and narrow before it gets pissed, forgets things and make up bollocks.
Ever heard of the movie Memento? :p

EDIT:
Ulairi said:
this game is going to bomb and bomb hard.
no u

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Jocchan said:
Ever heard of the movie Memento? :p

Are you saying this forum has seen both the beginning AND the end of its existence and the final dying days will result in it ending in the middle of its life? Who are the people living life forwards and who are the ones who keep stepping backwards? And where will they meet? Have they already crossed over? Has this forum already ended and we're somehow playing it in reverse and the originally backwards people going forwards now and the forward-going ones now stepping backwards?

Why are you confusing the matter with your crackpot theories Jocchan? Jeez.

If BGE2 came out with the same graphics, gameplay and scenarios of the first i'd still love it and buy it goddamnit!!!

Just bring it on!

Acosta

Ramenman said:
Obviously he does, but we already know that :p

So that's why it bombed.

hehe, I tricked you into making the translation without asking nicely. [/jk] Merci ;)

Haunted

AANNCEEEELLLLL! Of course this is threadworthy.

Reading this gets me all hot and bothered. Sounds so awesome.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
SovanJedi said:
Why are you confusing the matter with your crackpot theories Jocchan? Jeez.
Basically, GAFfers are looking for revenge after someone named Nintendo killed their beloved gaming, leaving them with a short-term memory loss (because of all the brain cells they burned with hours of endless grinding in JRPGS).
The plot twist is (MOVIE SPOILARZ)
sorry, I can't remember it. Too much grinding, I suppose

Haunted

SovanJedi said:
I remember reading a thread where the OP earnestly tried to argue that this was "obviously vapourware", along the lines of Sadness and Duke Nukem Forever.

smh

Thanks very much for all the info. So excited, and it's awesome to hear them acknowledge what went wrong saleswise and how they're going to improve BG&E. Ahhh can't wait.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
goldenpp72 said:
I hope they rerelease BGE1 in some form to let those who didn't play it experience it.
I thought it was one of the Xbox Originals.

Also: YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

El-Suave

Off the top of my head I can't think of any game that sold whose predecessor and franchise founder has failed to generate sales. Do you remember any?

I'd be really careful about that pedestal theory of BGE1's reputation setting up sales for part two especially considering delelopment costs. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy the game is being made and I'm really glad they're putting a lot of time and therefore money into it apparently. I just think they (and we) are setting themselves (ourselves) up for disappointment if they really believe this is going to be a big hit at retail.

El-Suave said:
Off the top of my head I can't think of any game that sold whose predecessor and franchise founder has failed to generate sales. Do you remember any?
I don't think the first Street Fighter was a stunning success.

madara

Yeah! Take all the time you need, hopefully by then this industry is less juvenile about everything having to be madden,mini games or fps muted worlds. There is steam but boy it would be nice to buy a hard copy again, I think I could get my sister and sister-in-law hooked.

Ramenman

Graphics Horse said:
For the first one they'd originally planned a lot of interplanetary stuff, so it'll be interesting if they go for that this time.

I read a lot about interplanetary stuff and yet I can never remember it myself, so I figured I'd just dig up one of my old mags, namely from E3 2002, when it was first shown, something like one year and a half before its release, before some big changes were made to it.

Aside from some funny things like Jade being named Sally and fighting without any kind of melee weapon, or a GBA version that we never saw, the playable demo that the press could try is very different from what we got.

Actually there was a whole planet you could explore and not only a chunk of it. The journalist clearly states that he begins floating along with the whales in daylight, and then takes off to the sky, through the clouds and then into space, follows the sun around for a bit then dives back to earth and lands on the other side of the planet, where it's night time. All of this without a single loading time.
There was supposed to be different continents and islands. Even the underseas regions were modelised. He says from a purely technical standpoint, the engine is "Jak & Daxter ^10".

It looks like they had an awesome engine, but when it came to actually making a game in it they had to tone it down a lot. It's really weird.

But if that's the "original vision", then that's probably what they're trying to achieve with 2.

So to come back to the multiple planets stuff, I'd rather have a whole planet where I can go anywhere and packed with stuff rather than having them going the Mass Effect route with loads of planets and nothing on them.

Acosta said:
hehe, I tricked you into making the translation without asking nicely. [/jk] Merci ;)

You evil genius :mad:
By the way, you meant "Il n'y a pas de quoi", it's not a sentence without the "il" :p

OnPoint

I don't want to rain on any parades...

B-U-T

This makes me kinda nervous. I didn't enjoy BG&E because of what the original version was supposed to be, I enjoyed it because of what it was. If the series becomes something altogether different, that's fine as long as its good. But my hype is in "caution" only because it seems like we're going to be getting something kinda different. Not saying I'm expecting anything less "good" but I am going to go into it expecting something different.

El-Suave said:

I'd be really careful about that pedestal theory of BGE1's reputation setting up sales for part two especially considering delelopment costs. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy the game is being made and I'm really glad they're putting a lot of time and therefore money into it apparently. I just think they (and we) are setting themselves (ourselves) up for disappointment if they really believe this is going to be a big hit at retail.
It's not impossible, stuff like Burnout didn't really get big until BO3, and the highly respected System Shock games (which didn't burn up the charts) led eventually to BioShock (a big selling spiritual successor).

Anyway, I'm super hyped for this, but Fall 2010 at the earliest probably so just a lot of waiting ahead.

Scrubking

Ulairi said:
this game is going to bomb and bomb hard.

It will be interesting to see what happens to Ubisoft afterwards if they are pouring as much money into this as they sound like they are.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Very excited. Seems like this game might actually end up being one of the swan songs of the generation.

Haunted said:
I remember reading a thread where the OP earnestly tried to argue that this was "obviously vapourware", along the lines of Sadness and Duke Nukem Forever.

smh

I remember that. They also listed Alan Wake. Sigh, some people...

Scrubking said:
It will be interesting to see what happens to Ubisoft afterwards if they are pouring as much money into this as they sound like they are.
One bomb is not going to sink Ubisoft.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Really nice to hear the the game is going to be more like their original vision for BG&E and that they aren't being rushed by Ubi. I was starting to worry that this got quietly cancelled.

CO_Andy

Besides those reasons Ancel listed BG&E's poor sales can be attributed to a poorly timed release.

Holiday season clusterfuck + Zelda sequel = ;_;

DogWelder

goldenpp72 said:
I hope they rerelease BGE1 in some form to let those who didn't play it experience it.
Come to Canada and buy a pack of cheese:
bgecheese.jpg

Touchdown

Banned
It's funny, I was just thinking about the first game a few days ago and went on a hunt to find it. I made the mistake of trading it in years ago, and was regretting it. I finally found it yesterday for 25 dollars. I remember when it first came out, I thought it was so different than anything else out at the time after playing it. I loved the final boss battle too. Can't wait for the number 2! Thanks for the info!:D

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
YOU WERE RIGHT IN YOUR ASSUMPTION

Cohsae

BG&E2 announcement has got to be one of the most surprising and simultaneously awesome announcements ever. I am psyched.

Top Bottom