• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Someone found a US version of the Nintendo 64 64DD

A shame too. Weren't Final Fantasy VII and Dragon Quest VII supposed to be on the 64DD originally?

No. Many people are talking about "Final Fantasy 64" but there were nothing of it. However, Squaresoft made "Final Fantasy VI: The Interactive CG Game" (a kinda-playable 3D recreation of Final Fantasy VI battle) for SGI hardware while toying with 3D graphics and thinking how to apply them to Final Fantasy.

Krejlooc

Banned
Dude in the thread claims to have owned 50 US versions before and already sold 20 of them!? http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/found-us-version-of-n64-64dd.62294/#post-892057

BztZd1w.png

that's not a dude, that's the owner of the site.

NoKisum

Before Pokemon GO, no US version of the 64DD existed

After Pokemon GO we get this

Pokemon GO ushering in the new era of gaming brehs

We finding lost treasures now

latest

Then maybe Pokémon GO can find the Western version of Phantasy Star Online 2.

Morts

The 64DD was one of the first things I discovered back when my family got 56k internet and I started searching for video game websites. I wanted one if these so badly.

You know, so I could play Mario 64 2.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Yes, they were 64MB, but that was very large at the time they announced the DD. 64MB on cart seemed almost unthinkable given the price involved. But Nintendo had both the price pressure to drop and try to save the platform, and the benefit that solid state prices were dropping anyway.

We had the option to go 64MB as well, but the downside was that you lose all of the writeable disk space (64MB capacity, but 32MB+ writeable, depending on what you needed). So anything where you needed more than a save file was out of the question, game wise.

Ahh, thanks for the info, interesting. IF I may ask, what ultimately happened to the project? Was it part of the cart release contingent, GameCube contingent, or cancelled game contingent?

No. Many people are talking about "Final Fantasy 64" but there were nothing of it. However, Squaresoft made "Final Fantasy VI: The Interactive CG Game" (a kinda-playable 3D recreation of Final Fantasy VI battle) for SGI hardware while toying with 3D graphics and thinking how to apply them to Final Fantasy.
Ah okay, I had a feeling that was the case. The question is still up for DQVII though, as that game had a bit of a development hell so it being originally slated for the 64DD makes sense since it didn't release until 2000. I could be wrong though

A shame too. Weren't Final Fantasy VII and Dragon Quest VII supposed to be on the 64DD originally?

I highly doubt FF VII would've been considered for the DD. It came out December 1st, 1999, FF 7 was already out by January 31st 1997 on the Playstation. Square walked away from making the next FF on a Nintendo platform way before and I highly doubt the DD would've gotten them back for 8 (which still released before the DD) or 9.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
I highly doubt FF VII would've been considered for the DD. It came out December 1st, 1999, FF 7 was already out by January 31st 1997 on the Playstation.

DD was in the works practically alongside the N64 and shown in '96.

Madao

for some reason i find this a bit too surreal.

someone should insert a JP 64DD disc on one of these to see what kind of error it displays.

I highly doubt FF VII would've been considered for the DD. It came out December 1st, 1999, FF 7 was already out by January 31st 1997 on the Playstation. Square walked away from making the next FF on a Nintendo platform way before and I highly doubt the DD would've gotten them back for 8 (which still released before the DD) or 9.

the 64DD was known to exist publicly since 1996 at least.
it had too many delays since it was supposed to come out in 1997 but the N64's bad start in japan really killed it because a ton of projects had to be moved to cart to help sales (Nintendo never really considered their sucess outside japan something to base their plans on)

Pretty much hoping to know more about this US 64DD and blue disk in the future.
Trying to contact a bunch of people who could help about that...

jett

D-Member
for some reason i find this a bit too surreal.

someone should insert a JP 64DD disc on one of these to see what kind of error it displays.

it had too many delays since it was supposed to come out in 1997 but the N64's bad start in japan really killed it because a ton of projects had to be moved to cart to help sales (Nintendo never really considered their sucess outside japan something to base their plans on)

The 64DD would've been useless for FF7, a CD holds literally 10 times the amount of storage as one of those disks.

How cool is that?

Well many of us thought a US 64DD IPL (as in... the "BIOS" of it) existed thanks to functions that checks the 64DD's region based on a byte from the IPL ROM.
(Spoilers, 0x04 at offset 0x9FF00 of the IPL ROM means the 64DD is US)

However we've never seen it until now, so this is quite the news.
But what I'm interested even more is the blue disk that came with it. If it came from NOA, this might be interesting to check.

Madao

The 64DD would've been useless for FF7, a CD holds literally 10 times the amount of storage as one of those disks.

i know about that. i was just responding to his claim that the 64DD couldn't be considered because it came out later.

Mak

The very existence of this unit heavily implies NOA had plans (or at least greatly considered) releasing the 64DD in the US.

A brochure/poster for Nintendo 64 I got from Toy's R Us dated 9/1996 mentions the 64DD as a selling point on one side.

(eBay listing I found with pics http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Ni...hure-pamphlet-Change-the-System-/281909589224)

"Unparalleled anitaliasing to prevent the blocky, pixelated look of other systems

"Kickin' pixel rendering & audio processing Reality co-processors!

Optional 3/4" magnetic disk drive to boost your power!"

It has F-Zero X Expansion Kit and a bunch of Mario Paint successors of sorts, and that's about it.

Probably the most exciting thing about 64DD is that there were supposed to be Zelda: Ocarina of Time expansion for it, tentatively called "Ura Zelda." Mario Party 2 and 3 were probably supposed to be 64DD expansions for the Mario Party 1. And of course there was EarthBound 64...

Ura Zelda (as in "Another Zelda" like the second quest of Zelda 1) was eventually released as "Master Quest" on the pre-order GameCube disk and 3DS version of Ocarina of Time.

DD was in the works practically alongside the N64 and shown in '96.

I think I might've known that at some point but my memory's failing me, totally forgot it was shown off right at the start. Still, heck of a delay which proved pretty fatal for the DD.

Krejlooc

Banned
Ura Zelda (as in "Another Zelda" like the second quest of Zelda 1) was eventually released as "Master Quest" on the pre-order GameCube disk and 3DS version of Ocarina of Time.

Master Quest is not what Ura Zelda was going to be.

Mak

A lot of what "Ura Zelda" (Another Zelda) was going to be was speculation exaggerated from the media. Aonuma asked to work on a new Zelda, "Zelda Gaiden" (Majora's Mask) because he didn't want to just work on a rearrangement of the dungeons. Miyamoto wanted to find another way to release "Ura Zelda" such as through a magazine since it wasn't significantly different from Ocarina of Time, eventually putting it on GameCube.

The second quest of the Legend of Zelda 1 in Japan is also called "Ura Zelda" (Another Zelda).

Justinh

I remember hoping these would come out back in the day. Wasn't there going to be some randomization or something in the 64DD Ura Zelda?

Krejlooc

Banned
A lot of what "Ura Zelda" (Another Zelda) was going to be was speculation exaggerated from the media. Aonuma asked to work on a new Zelda, "Zelda Gaiden" (Majora's Mask) because he didn't want to just work on a rearrangement of the dungeons. Miyamoto wanted to find another way to release "Ura Zelda" such as through a magazine since it wasn't significantly different from Ocarina of Time, eventually putting it on GameCube.

The second quest of the Legend of Zelda 1 in Japan is also called "Ura Zelda" (Another Zelda).

There are hooks in OoT that were there for Ura Zelda that Master Quest does not address. No, this is not speculation from the media.

Mak

There are hooks in OoT that were there for Ura Zelda that Master Quest does not address. No, this is not speculation from the media.

The consistant explanation from Miyamoto and Aonuma over the years on Ura Zelda was that it was a second quest with rearranged dungeons. Even if unused content was found, the Ura Zelda project was focused on rearranged dungeons as a second quest, which is what we got with Master Quest.

1999 - http://www.zeldadungeon.net/Interviews-1999-08-27-IGN-64-Shigeru-Miyamoto.php
IGN64: We played Gaiden a short while ago and it’s very impressive. But we’re curious, will Link grow up in Gaiden?

Miyamoto: I actually don’t know, but I heard that the adult Link will probably appear this time too. Also, if you say that Gaiden on the show floor is really good stuff I can feel very comfortable because that means my staff members have already become better than me when it comes to game creation.

IGN64: Tell us about “Ura Zelda.”

Miyamoto: Ura Zelda is based on The Ocarina of Time for 64DD. It has the same construction of gameplay. It’s very much a parody game based on Ocarina of time, but with new dungeons to explore. It even features the same storyline.​

Miyamoto Shows off Zelda 64 - May 1998
http://www.ign.com/articles/1998/05/27/miyamoto-shows-off-zelda-64

Q: Will there be a 64DD Zelda or an add-on?

Miyamoto: I don’t know if “add-on” is the right terminology. For the 64DD, we are working on a Zelda game, which we call “Ura Zelda,” where you first play the initial disk version of Zelda – after finishing everything, you can enter into the world, into the basic design of the same. This sort of WaZelda is now in the works for the 64DD.​

Talkin' Zelda with Mr. Miyamoto - Space World '99 - Nintendo.com 1999
http://www.angelfire.com/games5/makzelda/interviews/zgmiyamotosw99.html

Q: After hearing rumors of Ura Zelda for Nintendo 64 Disk Drive, Zelda Gaiden for the Nintendo 64 cartridge format was a pleasant surprise. Can you tell me how these two games came to be developed?

A: We are working on two follow-ups to The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. "Ura Zelda" uses the same system as Ocarina of Time but uses the 64DD to add game data. The story in "Ura Zelda" will be similar to Ocarina of Time but with new maps and scenarios. Zelda Gaiden, on the other hand, is a completely different game, although it too uses essentially the same game system as Ocarina of Time. Everyone has enjoyed the Zelda series but there's typically at least a 3 year wait between sequels! People who are in Junior High School when they play one Zelda game would be in High School by time the next game comes out, and those in High School will graduate before the next game came out! So, we wanted to make a new game in the series sooner. "Ura Zelda" will use the existing Ocarina of Time cartridge but with different dungeons, and new locations for the treasures. Since the 64DD media is cheaper than a new cartridge, this is an inexpensive way to make a sequel. We may also consider using network technology for "Ura Zelda." Right now, most of the staff is concentrating on Zelda Gaiden.​

http://www.zeldadungeon.net/Interviews-1999-08-27-IGN-64-Shigeru-Miyamoto.php
http://www.ign.com/articles/1998/11/18/zelda-dd-the-other-adventure
http://www.ign.com/articles/2000/08/26/ura-zelda-complete
http://www.ign.com/articles/1999/08/21/gaiden-and-ura-zelda-split

Incite Video Games magazine December 1999
http://www.zeldadungeon.net/wiki/Interview:Incite_December_1999

Incite Game Magazine: Is this game system exactly the same or have you added any new features?

Miyamoto: Yes, its basically the same except for the masks. When you wear the masks you can transform into another creature and then you have controls to master.
Incite Game Magazine: Are there still plans to release a 64DD Zelda ?

Miyamoto: Distinct from this new version, we do have another 64DD Zelda game. We’ve currently suspended development because we’re busy with so many projects and we wanted to concentrate on Zelda Gaiden, but we’re still working on it. We weren’t sure which one to do first but for the moment we’ve put the 64DD to one side to do this new Zelda. However, there’s no relationship between them at all. Zelda Gaiden is an original story, while the 64DD uses Ocarina of Time as the base theme. In the 64DD version, certain elements in the story send you off on different paths.

Incite Game Magazine: What’s different about the 64DD version?

Miyamoto: Well, simply put, every time you go into a dungeon, the tasks will be different. If there was a treasure chest in a certain location the last time you went in, then the next time you in it won’t be there.

Incite Game Magazine: Will we be about to play an online Zelda?

Miyamoto: Up to now we haven’t really started to think about this. However, were not looking to create a multi-player on-line system for Zelda. With the 64DD’s read/write capability, we’re thinking along the lines of a new dungeon data downloads, and swapping your data with other players.​

Miyamoto and Aonuma on Zelda - Dec 2002
http://www.ign.com/articles/2002/12/04/miyamoto-and-aonuma-on-zelda?page=5

Q: Regarding Ura Zelda, is there any different between the 64DD version that was in development and the GameCube version? Did it use any functionality with the 64DD? And, is it coming to the U.S.?

Miyamoto-san: Although we did develop Ura for the 64DD, it didn’t use many of the special features. So it was very easy to port over to the GameCube without cutting any features. Why we did it, well that was because the 64DD was only released in Japan and it was only sold to subscribers of the RandNet system. For a long time we wanted to make it available for play and find a way to do that. It was expensive to make cartridges, so we had through about different ways. One thing we thought about was tie-ups with magazines. Once GameCube moved to disc media, though, it became much more feasible to make it available. In terms of how we’ve done it, we didn’t want to make it limited edition. So we’ve tried to make it available to as many people as possible.

Also, I’m not sure if you’re aware but Ura Zelda isn’t very different from the Ocarina of Time; it’s more of a second quest. People who played through Ocarina of Time would be able to play through Ura Zelda and get a few laughs at some things, find some things more difficult, and take a few varied paths. However, even if you do play all the way through the end it will not unlock anything special.​

Iwata Asks - Zelda: Spirit Tracks - 2009
http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/ds/zelda/0/0

Aonuma: No, we didn’t just start making The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask, not right away. There was actually a flip-side, and in the beginning, the idea was to make a “Ura (Flip-Side) Zelda”.

Iwata: That “Ura Zelda” (The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time: Master Quest) was developed for the 64DD. Ultimately, we recorded it on a limited edition disc that went to people who reserved The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker.

Aonuma: Ultimately, other staff members handled The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time: Master Quest. Still, as someone who has been in charge of the dungeons, I just couldn’t get that excited over making a flip-side for them. I couldn’t see it turning into a new The Legend of Zelda, either. But we’d been told to make The Legend of Zelda. It isn’t as though we could just say, “I don’t want to”, and end it there. At that point, Miyamoto-san gave us a tradeoff: he said, if we could make a new The Legend of Zelda game in one year, then it wouldn’t have to be a “flip-side”.

Iwata: Well! So you’re saying The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask was the result of your team picking up the gauntlet he’d thrown down? (laughs)

Aonuma: Yes. That was the deal. But The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time did take three years to make, you know!?​

Nintendo Power makes reference to the The Legend of Zelda's Second Quest Japanese name "Ura Zelda" with the headline "Another World".

tumblr_inline_ner0pgr3Eh1r7f29r.png

tumblr_inline_ner1o9Xi2u1r7f29r.png

All the best games for this eventually got released on GameCube in one way or another. OoT Master Quest for example has been re-released multiple times.

Only game I think we really missed out on was Mario Artist. It looked pretty neat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSRe9h9MEKE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psp1PK1yFd4

Square bailed on the 64 and Nintendo long before the 64DD was even an idea in consideration at Nintendo. The 64DD's 64 MB disc space wouldn't have brought them back, either. PS1 disc space was still many times higher than that and more suitable for their new cutscene-heavy direction for the series.

So this thing was basically Nintendo's lowest selling piece of hardware ever, yes?

According to Wikipedia it only sold around 15,000 units. Even the Virtual Boy sold about 770,000.

Man the rumor section of Gamefan used to get me so hyped for this thing month after month. I remember when they claimed Mother 3 would be episodic and would ship one chapter per disc and that the DD would allow the game to remember what you did from one chapter to the next. I think they specifically mention the "plant a tree and go back and it's still there" example that Molyneux made famous. Seemed like by the time it came out it was nothing really special though.

Ahh, thanks for the info, interesting. IF I may ask, what ultimately happened to the project? Was it part of the cart release contingent, GameCube contingent, or cancelled game contingent?

All of Nintendo's first party funded DD games were either moved to cartridge or cancelled outright as they moved away from the "Let's fund everybody because Goldeneye!!!" strategy. The only guys that survived to Gamecube probably put in some of their own money to bridge the gap. I remember seeing the N64 demo of Eternal Darkness and wondering if they were in the same boat, but I don't really know.

Anyway, we weren't close to shipping so they canned it. We got early GBA dev kits and then Racing Gears happened.

Just because Master Quest didn't use stuff that wasn't used in OoT either doesn't mean that Master Quest isn't Ura Zelda.
Games change during development and Master Quest is definitely what Ura Zelda became over the years. I'm 100% sure about that.

Madao

my heart weeps at those that say all the good 64DD content was ported over to another console when the F-Zero X EXpansion Kit is still stuck on the 64DD.

that was the best thing on the 64DD and is locked to it (and the only alternative is very bad emulation)

Top Bottom