• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Someone Help me Pick a Bike.

I am looking into purchasing my first bike since my Huffy White Heat 25 years ago lol. I’ve been researching, but am having a hard time. The problem is I am a large man height wise and weight wise. I’m 6 foot 3 and weigh roughly 250 lbs. most of the options I see for taller men have a weight limit of 250 lbs. I’m looking for a bike more for concrete and occasionally dirt trail riding. If anyone can help with some suggestions it would be greatly appreciated! I’m trying to get more active and have been walking and jogging almost everyday again, but I would love to mix it up. I’m not looking to spend an arm and a leg, but will pay high for the right bike. Thanks!

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Go to a (real) bike shop and chat with a few of the employees. In fact, go to a few of them and see who you like, feel out who's knowledgable and who wants to get you into something that suits you.

Those bike shops are often pretty dead so I find employees like being extra helpful to break up the boredom. Just make sure they're playing college alternative radio over the speakers.

bati

Hybrid fitness or gravel bike.

The only real answer. I think most of these should be rated up to 300 lbs (bike+rider). I bought a hybrid last year and somewhat regret not getting a gravel bike instead, drop bars are just more versatile in general. Looking into getting a Canyon Endurance CF 7 next year, with Shimano 105 groupset. It's more road oriented but has enough tire clearance for a gravel wheelset.

The only real answer. I think most of these should be rated up to 300 lbs (bike+rider). I bought a hybrid last year and somewhat regret not getting a gravel bike instead, drop bars are just more versatile in general. Looking into getting a Canyon Endurance CF 7 next year, with Shimano 105 groupset. It's more road oriented but has enough tire clearance for a gravel wheelset.
What’s the price look like on these on average?

Go to a (real) bike shop and chat with a few of the employees. In fact, go to a few of them and see who you like, feel out who's knowledgable and who wants to get you into something that suits you.

Those bike shops are often pretty dead so I find employees like being extra helpful to break up the boredom. Just make sure they're playing college alternative radio over the speakers.
Chillstep or bust 😂

Catphish

Perfect! The 3 is exactly what I was looking for. There’s actually a local bike shop in my area I didn’t know existed that carries them as well. Thank you!
You’re welcome. I’m a bit jealous, tbh. I have a Verve 2 and I friggin love it. I use it mostly on paved trails, but it holds its own on gravel, too. I’ve seen the 3 in my local shop, and am REALLY tempted to trade-in for it.

If you get it, let me know what you think after you’ve had a chance to put it through its paces. 👍

Burning Blade

Gold Member
I’m 6’3 and was about 230 when I bought mine a year ago. Hadn’t owned a mountain bike in 20+ years. I went with a Commencal Meta HT AM Race version. I spent months researching before deciding. It’s a fucking great bike.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
The GOAT

black_sigma_done_2_blowup.jpg

Mohonky

a $3000 bike seems a bit outlandish to me unless you are a dedicated hobbyist

edit - my bad. google was giving me results for verve+ 2 which is an electric hybrid.

You've clearly never seen the cost of bikes......decent ones anyway.

I planned on spending about $5kAUD when I planned on getting a bike, $8.5k later, and that's still in the 'budget' category. And tbh, I love it so much, my next bike will probably be more expensive, but I do ride eMTB's so yes the electric part certainly makes it more costly.

Though I will say OP, get an ebike, you'll be glad you did. You'll still get an ass kicking workout, but you won't be as ruined the next day and you'll ride way more often.

Last edited:

Mohonky

Seconding the Trek FX. Really well built, reliable hybrid for around only $700. I bought one for my wife about 5 years ago.

Good looking bike but I would avoid the Tektro brake equipped models; I had them on my dirt jumper; scarily weak. Granted I'm 180lb, but yeh, those things were weak. Immediately had to swap em out.

Also get at least a Shimano Deore groupset rather than Atlus and single speed up chain ring if possible, no use for 2 or 3 speed chainrings these days.

I'd be looking at a gravel bike for you. But if you want it for putzing around don't overlook a fat bike. If you want the ultimate all around bike that you most likely will ride a lot a e-fat bike.

UnNamed

Banned
I would pick a fat bike.

I used to think fat bikes were just a stupid trend, then I tried one on the sand and in a pinewood, it's awesome, steady and fun to use.

dr_octagon

Banned
OP: Good day sir, I'd like to purchase a Bichael transportation ve-hee-kel. I would walk but I am two tyred, hue hue hue.

Shop owner: Get out.

Raven117

Gold Member
I am looking into purchasing my first bike since my Huffy White Heat 25 years ago lol. I’ve been researching, but am having a hard time. The problem is I am a large man height wise and weight wise. I’m 6 foot 3 and weigh roughly 250 lbs. most of the options I see for taller men have a weight limit of 250 lbs. I’m looking for a bike more for concrete and occasionally dirt trail riding. If anyone can help with some suggestions it would be greatly appreciated! I’m trying to get more active and have been walking and jogging almost everyday again, but I would love to mix it up. I’m not looking to spend an arm and a leg, but will pay high for the right bike. Thanks!
I think a steel frame Surly would be good for you.

Last edited:

Crayon

Me after recently digging my 20 year old mountain bike out of the closet for the first time in over a decade and then looking at this thread:

6tytgv.jpg

Yeah idk if that's supposed to be like a casual cyclocross bike or what. Same here, btw. I'm dusting off and fixing up my mountain bikes and they are both 2006. I want to have an open mind about a new one but I went to the shop and the prices were stupid. I asked how much for a stumpjumper fsr these days and he told me around 2,500. I'm sure they're better than ever but lol.

Raven117

Gold Member
Oh sweet, and you can get them custom built! I’ll have to look into these more
Yup. They are totally cool (a bit on the heavier side, but tough as nails, good ride). Where you are physically, I think that bike will serve you well for years, not break the bank, and if you end up loving cycling, can then transition up into something super expensive. and keep the Surly as your commuter.

That Cross Check would be a nice starter bike. Straggler if you want something a bit more aggressive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom