• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Someone is Remaking Castlevania SOTN with outstanding animation in Unity Engine!

Bullet Club

Gold Member
Posted for xAlucardx xAlucardx

Original post: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/neo-...ll-post-on-your-behalf.1456224/post-253692733

Someone is Remaking Castlevania SOTN with outstanding animation in Unity Engine!

Timestamps with more info and details about the work from this videos
0:00 - 2:04 intro
2:05 - 5:34 Weapon Sets
5:35 - 9:19 Basic Moves, Subs And Valmanway
9:20 - 10:30 Vampire Kiss
10:31 - 13:35 Bat Form and New Staircase Physics
13:36 - 16:00 Platforms, Ledge Grabbing and other stuff
16:01 - 19:37 Wolf Form
19:38 - 20:47 Icons!
20:48 - 24:38 Outro. Including Classic Richter and Dracula Sprites, Future Plans, Patreon,Tiles and

i will let the Video Speak for itself!

i have no idea if he plans on releasing a full remake, he is recreating all artwork from scratch

this is exactly what any fan of SOTN have wanted, ill settle for a remake in the fashion of Shadow of colossus and Crash N'Sane Trilogy after watching his amazing spirit animation work

sadly i am certain Konami will be sending him a Cease and Desist the moment they see it, i strongly believe this will Honor SOTN and Igarashi's Original work, he has been working on this for years and plans to release a SOTN engine with a game maker with assets, i wish him luck if he honors his words

He has a Blog and a Patreon Page

your comments below!

xAlucardx

Neo Member
I have no vested interest in castlevania so it pains me to see people who clearly have skills try to emulate something so close as to raise the ire of publishers when they're skilled enough to make their own game.

when you have a strong passion for something you truly love and hold dear it make you want to do things like what he is doing, if i had his skills i would have done the same and would have done my own game too

this is why Sonic Mania exists, Street Fighter HD, Crash N'Sane Trilogy, Shadow of Colossus, if they can be remade, SOTN deserves it too

plus AM2R was a better game then the original 3DS game

Regardless of your Opinion 80% of the games on the market are clones of other games and shallow experiences

and i would pay for this and buy it on many consoles over the official PSN Re release , he puts all indie work to shame with the amount of Detail he is adding, if you read his blogs from 8 years ago before he even started and read the reason behind this project, you would appreciate it more, especially if you saw his progress from the first demo, at one of he vanished and stop giving updates and i thought he is doing it as a private Hobby, glad he is still planning make it public

Last edited:

baphomet

when you have a strong passion for something you truly love and hold dear it make you want to do things like what he is doing, if i had his skills i would have done the same and would have done my own game too

this is why Sonic Mania exists, Street Fighter HD, Crash N'Sane Trilogy, Shadow of Colossus, if they can be remade, SOTN deserves it too

plus AM2R was a better game then the original 3DS game

Regardless of your Opinion 80% of the games on the market are clones of other games and shallow experiences

and i would pay for this and buy it on many consoles over the official PSN Re release , he puts all indie work to shame with the amount of Detail he is adding, if you read his blogs from 8 years ago before he even started and read the reason behind this project, you would appreciate it more, especially if you saw his progress from the first demo, at one of he vanished and stop giving updates and i thought he is doing it as a private Hobby, glad he is still planning make it public

What good is it that he's now going to get a cease and desist, and all of this work has gone to waste?

xAlucardx

Neo Member
What good is it that he's now going to get a cease and desist, and all of this work has gone to waste?

AM2R full Game says hello after cease and desist! it still Recieves Updates from the Community even after its original Developer abandoned it, also got an Android and PS Vita Ports too, its in Konami's Best Interest to support this Remake or turn it into an official release regardless of the outcome, its been 8 years in the making, once the demo and assets go public, nothing can stop it and they didn't Stop Maze of Galious Fan Remake

Last edited:

baphomet

AM2R full Game says hello after cease and desist! it still Recieves Updates from the Community even after its original Developer abandoned it, also got an Android and PS Vita Ports too, its in Konami's Best Interest to support this Remake or turn it into an official release regardless of the outcome, its been 8 years in the making, once the demo and assets go public, nothing can stop it and they didn't Stop Maze of Galious Fan Remake

Yeah, an old MSX game no one, including Konami, remembers and a game Konami released in the past few months aren't equal threats. This is also significantly further away from being released than AM2R was when it was shut down.

All of this could have been easily avoided by making his own artwork. It's not like Dracula, Alucard, or Dracula's Castle are owned by Konami.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Why is no one appreciating the work he put into this? Who cares if he gets a cease and desist? This is amazing and he should be praised for it. Konami isn't doing shit with their franchises anymore so i don't feel remotely bad.
Can't wait to see more.

Last edited:

xAlucardx

Neo Member
Yeah, an old MSX game no one, including Konami, remembers and a game Konami released in the past few months aren't equal threats. This is also significantly further away from being released than AM2R was when it was shut down.

All of this could have been easily avoided by making his own artwork. It's not like Dracula, Alucard, or Dracula's Castle are owned by Konami.

it was a Cash Grab off of Switch Smash Ultimate Announcement, people these days are always aggressive and Negative for anything nice being done in the world, does it offend you that a man is making something better then the company that abandoned this franchise and it Creators?

i would love to have the chance to relive SOTN as many other do want, support him instead of whining rather he should do his original stuff or not

the man has been doing it for free in his spare time, game is 21 years old, you think Konami will make another Castlvania after the ps4 sequel flop?

the only way you will see them caring is after Bloodstained release with another cash grab

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
That looks quite tasty. I actually just played SOTN for the first time about 4 months ago or so. I had bought it back in like 2012 on PSN when it was on sale and I just could not get into it for whatever reason. Out of nowhere, I decided to boot it up on my Vita and I was hooked on it for over a week. I would be pretty excited to try this out if it ever released in full.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
I’ve been following this for over 11 years now. Slow progress but the recent update made it very tasty.
I hope he keeps his promise and updates us with even more stuff this year.

Last edited:

xAlucardx

Neo Member
well he released demos many years ago although they were nowhere near teh substantial upgrade in animations he showed this week, he seems to have found an Artists capable of evolving the old style while still retaining the pixel charm of the old one....Alucard looks the same old version from PSOne but with a ton of extra animations and move set

he has done an incredible job of keeping it look professional, when he releases the new demo with included assets imagine how many fan remakes will show up!

one thing i am concerned about is that 5 years ago he vanished without a trace after he said in castelvania Dungeon community he was building an engine to recreate SOTN with a better Aluacrd not make a full game, he still hasn't confirmed if its a full game or just a technical Demo and proof of concept

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Wonderful sprite work and animations, I love pixel art animated smoothly, I was floored by River City Ransom: Underground putting so many combos and moves in so few pixels. That said I'm not sure about having DMC in 2D style combat with juggles and things in SOTN and it's probably a huge undertaking to upgrade all the enemies and bosses to match mechanically. It might be both too ambitious and not really in style of the game it wants to remake. Then again such expanded combat systems worked well in the likes of Valdis Story so it could be fun, as long as it's as expertly developed as these sprites.

That said, having a patreon to get money (and hire professionals?!) for a passion project based on an IP he doesn't own seems quite overboard and I wouldn't fault Konami or others for shutting it down if they decide to. He could have put that effort in a game that mimics it but doesn't explicitly rip it off. Especially with the expanded mechanics they really couldn't sue even if it was very very similar outside that. People could remake the SOTN campaign and such within his SDK and changing the coloring of the available sprites to match CV characters after he released an original campaign and story after all.

Can someone put a comparison of the original Alucard sprite here for posterity? This thing looks like I remember it except with vastly expanded animations, is it really made from scratch even for his pre existing moves, the world, textures, tiles, enemy sprites, shield and weapon sprites, if so then it's awe inspiring. Edit: the patreon doesn't say if he intends to release a full version of the adventure though, are we sure that's the intention? Maybe I'm missing more descriptions? It doesn't seem like he sees it as a game project to eventually fully finish by himself (and hires), more like he's making an engine to use with other games and enhancing/remaking some SOTN assets and will then let people have that (maybe not even his engine outside showing how he made it but just the remade sprite assets?) to mess with?
Thank you to all the fans and supporters of my projects! At the moment, I am working on coding a game engine in Unity based off of Castlevania Symphony of the Night. However, I will also be using this engine for other fan games and putting up how to vids for beginners concerning 2D game development. Including things like how I made the collision engine, shaders for different effects, etc. I am also attempting to get a lot of the sprite work in the original game remade and updated for the new millennium! This way fans everywhere can use these remade sprites in any projects they choose, as they will no longer be the original artwork. This includes new attacks and moves for many enemies! But that's just part of what I want to do here. I would also like to put up vids detailing how I originally modified the PSX version of the game using a tool called Memhack, along with other games like Gauntlet Dark Legacy for the PS2 and Strider2 for the PSX.

Last edited:

Fbh

Amazing work, would love to replay the game fully remade/remastered like that.
But yeah, even though it's only $35 so far once money is involved Konami probably won't take long to take action.

But if nothing else it's a good way to show his skills and hopefully it helps him get involved in a project with no copyright issues

xAlucardx

Neo Member
no harm in asking for support to pay Artists to make more animations to complete his work
he will release final product for free
have a moment and appreciate this mans work instead of whining about Konami who has been releasing International Superstar Soccer for over 20 years without a license

here is an Excel Sheet with the cost spent so far and what it produced for him.

from his site he has wrote this before he even had the spirits made:
RePosting from his Blog
it’s just not feasible for me to spend about $2000 each for New Richter, Maria’s full moveset and any other characters

With more funds, I can afford to pay more artists at once, which equals much FASTER progress. Alucard’s sheet was scheduled to take 3-6 months. But took about 10 months instead since all I could afford was to have only a single artist working on it. Luckily I had one that was truly dedicated and who put his very soul into each animation he crafted.
I understand how before anyone dedicates any major funds that they, of course, want to see what they are getting. And I fully understand that. So my intention is to get all of the new animations for Alucard implemented ASAP, and show a working demo of the game so that people can truly see what I am trying to make a reality for the fans. Hopefully, that will stimulate others to want to help more in any way that they can. As they say: seeing is believing.

I decided to expand on Alucard quite a bit. I wanted to make the combat system quite a bit more in depth compared to the original game of basically slash/dodge/slash/dodge etc. I wanted to include things such as the ability to pop up some monsters, knock back others, dealing with enemies who have armor that reduces the damage done to them and being able to actually combo attacks into each other. I wanted you to feel like you had something to handle ANY scenario and for the controls to feel very free exciting.

and please stop with the Devil may cry comparison crap, just because he added more moves it is not DMC in 2D

the combat system for Alucard works like this:

• X (square on playstation controllers) is the normal button for each weapon set. B (circle on PS) is the strong button for each weapon. You switch between both weapon sets by hitting R1 (which can be done during attacks, allowing you to change weapons mid combo).
  • Pressing Up+X uses sub weapon 1. Up+B uses sub weapon 2. You get to choose these at the start of each stage and at menu checkpoints mid-stage if you want to change. There are currently 5 sub weapons: Hellfire, Summon Spirit, Stopwatch, Agnea and one final one. All of these can be used in the air and ground and have animations. The bat still has bat fire which is heavily improved and the wolf has a new howling sub weapon.
  • Blocking with a shield is done via L2, Mist form is set to R2. These both share a guard meter that refills slowly over time.
  • R1 is to do your chosen crash. At the moment there are 5 in human form: Tetra Spirit, a heavily modified Dark Inferno, Power of Sire, a very modified Soul Steal and one final one that I won’t spoil. But trust me when I say longtime fans of the series will get a serious thrill from it. Wolf form also has one: the old moon rod special has been modified into a new Crash called Crescent Moon.
  • Weapon Set 1: Swords & Clubs are designed to be faster, with less range, but allow you to chain attacks in mid-air. The video below demonstrates the basic 4 hit ground and 4 hit air combos for this weapon. They do overall the most DPS, but less damage per individual hit and less stun/knockback amounts than:
  • Weapon Set 2: Spears & 2 handed swords have more range, more damage PER hit, but overall DPS is lower than weapon set 1. These also do more damage to armored enemies than weapon set 1. However, these only have one attack in the air, so no aerial chains. On the ground, they both have a standing 3 attack combo.
  • Weapon set 1 has an attack that can launch enemies into the air, while weapon set 2 has a knockback move that can smack enemies back.
  • Attack priority goes from blocking with a shield, normal attacks, to sub weapons, to special moves, to crashes/mist. So as you see in the vid you can do 4 sword attacks in the air, cancel that into hellfire, cancelled into valmanway, then into mist form if you needed to dodge a counter attack. You could even start it by doing a 3 hit ground combo ending in a launcher, then go into the series above (assuming the enemy didn’t die halfway thru it).
  • Speaking of specials, Alucard has Valmanway, both form changes and the ability to summon a Demon Familiar. Has also has one or two more specials that I won’t be spoiling here. These take MP and generally have cool down. I was originally going to give Alucard a 2nd type of Shadow MP…. but after extensive testing it just felt like it was unnecessary.
  • Wolf Form: has a bite attack, a sub, a crash and a 2nd normal MP costing attack using the runesword. He still has a dash too though it does work different now.
  • Bat Form: has bat echo, a sub and a charging attack now. It also can summon bats to acts as drones to it and can hang from the roof.
anyone whining about this man effort clearly doesnt wish to see a remake or a sequel to the game that defined the series and was forgotten for 21 years

i don't think 2000 to 4000$ is much for asking too much make a profit out of it, sorry but that's not how life works, people need to get paid in order to make you something good

and also since he got a new High paying job, he might not need any donations at all

be tahnkfull someone is doing gods work with a quality looking animation work or go play Flash made Hollow Knight

Last edited:

Alexios

Being realistic about a DMCA is not whining, you're the one whining because I don't just say OMG CANT WAIT DROOL TAKE MY MONEY even if I acknowledge all the great things he shows (honestly most of the great things we can see is the awesome animation work of the hired artists, his engine will be put to the test when/if it actually releases as solid as it currently looks). His Patreon description still doesn't say he'll release a full SOTN with fully new/updated assets for free anywhere, all he does is talk about his engine work, showing how he's making it, and releasing the newly created asssets (which won't be ALL of the game's assets remade) to the community. And SOTN was already easy, if he's only giving more ways to kill enemies without more ways for all of them to kill you back then that's a bit short sighted. And yes to me having upward moves that launch enemies as he specifically describes in a video and the jumping to attack them mid air is very DMC in 2D style to me, feel free to call it something else yourself.

If we do get a full upgraded SOTN at some point then ok cool see you in another 8 years and I'll be raving over it with you as the definitive edition of the game a long as it is, maybe I'd only recommend it to people as their second run to get the real deal with the intended mechanics fully (somewhat flawed since it's too easy though) balanced against each other first. Still no reason to bash Bloodstained, lol.

Last edited:

xAlucardx

Neo Member
Being realistic about a DMCA is not whining, you're the one whining because I don't just say OMG CANT WAIT DROOL TAKE MY MONEY even if I acknowledge all the great things he shows (honestly most of the great things we can see is the awesome animation work of the hired artists, his engine will be put to the test when/if it actually releases as solid as it currently looks). His Patreon description still doesn't say he'll release a full SOTN with fully new/updated assets for free anywhere, all he does is talk about his engine work, showing how he's making it, and releasing the newly created ass:messenger_fearful:ets (which won't be ALL of the game's assets remade) to the community. And SOTN was already easy, if he's only giving more ways to kill enemies without more ways for all of them to kill you back then that's a bit short sighted. And yes to me having upward moves that launch enemies as he specifically describes in a video and the jumping to attack them mid air is very DMC in 2D style to me, feel free to call it something else yourself.

If we do get a full upgraded SOTN at some point then ok cool see you in another 8 years and I'll be raving over it with you as the definitive edition of the game a long as it is, maybe I'd only recommend it to people as their second run to get the real deal with the intended mechanics fully (somewhat flawed since it's too easy though) balanced against each other first. Still no reason to bash Bloodstained, lol.

Bloodstained combat and animations and graphics is :messenger_poop:, lifeless and trash also its a mere shadow of a 21 year old game from igarashi own words he said all the changes he made from going 3d to choosing a theme to making the main hero a woman was all based on mainstream demands and not by fan demands

his 3d games all sucked, bloodstained cant look more generic enough as it is, those PS2 era 3D models.....:messenger_fearful:

oh and that retro game they released wasn't done by him or his team, it was commissioned to a 3rd party developer (inti creates) from the stretch goal money oh and it was 2d and was done on time y an ex team who has been doing mega man for decades, do your homework please LMAO

you failed the moment you compared Validis Story to SOTN, there is no way you are fan of SOTN, i have no idea why you are here lol

Fortunately i see good people here not whining and making Drama DMC oh noooooo its going down ohhh not original....come Konami take it away like PT lol

Last edited:

Alexios

Okay, you do you, lol, I've never seen a fanboy of someone taking and editing others' work fanboying so hard and raging so hard, and against the creator of the original on top of that, haha. You're the one bringing attention to it in a (previously?) mainstream place like GAF then will whine if Konami kills it before it's done, lmao. No drama in my posts either pal, just in your reactions to my rather sensible, merely not fanboying and drooling, posts that happen to have a different opinion to yours which you wanna call shit for disagreeing. I'm not a fan like you that's for sure, if that means I'm not a true fan or not I couldn't care less but it's not your opinion that will settle that matter when you can't even articulate anything beyond turd smilies properly. I'm here because I read GAF and had things to say, which I said, sue me, lol.

Last edited:

xAlucardx

Neo Member
Okay, you do you, lol, I've never seen a fanboy of someone taking and editing others' work fanboying so hard and raging so hard, and against the creator of the original on top of that, haha. You're the one bringing attention to it in a (previously?) mainstream place like GAF then will whine if Konami kills it before it's done, lmao. No drama in my posts either pal, just in your reactions to my rather sensible, merely not fanboying and drooling, posts that happen to have a different opinion to yours which you wanna call shit for disagreeing. I'm not a fan like you that's for sure, if that means I'm not a true fan or not I couldn't care less but it's not your opinion that will settle that matter when you can't even articulate anything beyond turd smilies properly. I'm here because I read GAF and had things to say, which I said, sue me, lol.
i couldn't care less what you say, didn't bother to read your posts since you started copy pasting everything and then showing me a SOTN Remake that has 2 frames for everything on screen with terrible up-scalled Visuals with less colors and thinking its good, Flash Games Fanboy who doesnt want to see or enjoy a fan Remake of SOTN, enjoy your Terrible taste elsewhere, i didnt make this post to Humor your Gaming taste regardless if it was Terrible or not, enjoy yourself here take one Cookie for your zero contribution to this post! take your Bloodstained wankfest elsewhere

oh there is an ignore Button, lets try it!

Last edited:
Awesome idea...but then there's Unity. I've yet to play a Unity engine game that doesn't have problems. Plenty of games in Unity have fantastic ideas, but just don't perform that well. That said, Symphony of the Night is probably my favorite Castlevania game(I'm a casual fan at best, having played pretty much all major releases since I was a kid on the NES) and would love to see an update to the game I could use for another playthrough. I don't think I've touched it since the rerelease on the 360.

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
Everything looks great....but the “classic” Richter sprite. Not a fan.

Last edited:

TacosNSalsa

Him calling it "skythe" had me questioning my own pronunciation lol... but seriously how possible is it that this will actually be released? It looks very cool!!

creating a patreon for a project that would be illegal to sell should be illegal. you can't tell me he takes those assets that do not belong to him, take the game that does not belong to him. and ask people to give him money to make it for them should be illegal

I hate crap like this. either do it for free or get sued.

"Am a fucking loser that cannot create an original project, please give me money so give you someone elses game"

Last edited:

Alexios

creating a patreon for a project that would be illegal to sell should be illegal. you can't tell me he takes those assets that do not belong to him, take the game that does not belong to him. and ask people to give him money to make it for them should be illegal

I hate crap like this. either do it for free or get sued.

"Am a fucking loser that cannot create an original project, please give me money so give you someone elses game"
Careful there, OP might punish you and put you on ignore like myself if you don't agree this is the best thing ever made, puts every indie game to shame, is worth all your money and so on, friendly warning :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Renoir

its upsetting that people (hopefully no one on GAF) are willing to pay $1 for a red reticule in COD.. But dont want to donate the same dollar to help the cause to make an entire game. What we are looking at here is enhancing a game that many considered to be the pinnacle of its genre. I was reading the description, and if i understand correctly he is apparently adding even more engaging combat a la Air Combos?

Give the man a least a golf clap.. Im sure he knew the risk (litigation) before taking on this project.

Alexios

The people who buy the red dot likely don't even know SOTN exists, never mind a fan EE, I don't see the analogy and it's not like anyone shat on his work, everyone says it looks cool, with a concern here or there thrown in as just because it's a passion project that has shown some quality doesn't mean it's everybody's ideal version of SOTN. Claps were given, money is different, lots of money has gone into Kickstarter and other passion projects, doesn't mean all such projects are worth the same to everyone for everyone to be willing to donate to all of them. Still don't see any statement about this being intended as a full remake, the patreon only mentions being all about showing and tutorializing his engine work that he will use for other fan games and hiring pixel artists to remake/enhance some of the existing SOTN assets, and then release those assets to the community for their own fan games. If a full SOTN remake is released and actually works well with the additions then sure, I'll play and promote it as the definitive edition every fan should play, for now this is a cool curiosity that's been running for near a decade. Kudos to the guy (and the pixel artists he hired) and I hope he's having a nice life allowing him to spend time with his hobbies!

Last edited:

xAlucardx

Neo Member
i have backtracked and researched his work again after the announcement, since this project has been in the making for over 10 years

at the start it was a remake of the original game with improved Assets and animation and bugs fixed.

half way through he vanished and everyone thought he abandoned project
now he is Re-imagining SOTN and remaking the original Assets to be more modern and fully animated to look and play like a modern 2D game with all the quality standards we have come to know this generation, from his yearly blog updates that is the conclusion of his work also the modding forums really hate him for not sharing his game editing tools and assets for public use until project is complete.

it will not be a remake/remaster of PSX game
it will be a Fan game for SOTN
it may not be released at all because he isn't investing much to make high quality assets for the other spirits in SOTN
he only has Alucard completed remake Spirit with added new moves

judging from the latest video, still doesn't have remade assets for level design and monsters

could be released as a SOTN game maker with the new updated assets for people to play with and create their own fan game

since there has never been a SOTN game editor to make fan remakes, people have tried in Mugen and openBor, but both isnt suited to make big maps and have RPG progress elements, and everybody was using the same outdated low pixel Alucard spirits, nobody added a singe new frame to it.

this man was honest about not having funds to remake the game, and over the years have found some artists willing to help, and now it shows what was done.

i wish him good luck, i do not like Unity engine, and if he still used the old build when he was using game maker, i would probably would take his assets and make my own imagined SOTN because i like Alucard character and would love to invest more in his adventures.

unfortunately i don't have the talent to remake the spirits the same way his artists did and the fact i would get a C&D from Konami doesn't help either

ill wait his Demo Release to see what can be done with his work

regardless of how he asked for funds to hire people to make updated character Spirits, i have much respect for what he has done because the original owner IP owner doesn't care about this franchise anymore and settles for the same old Assets.

Last edited:

Alexios

Well, guess I was right, that sucks. Also sucks the thread was made with a false premise even though all that information was out and freely available but it's understandable you were fanboying so hard at the same time and missed it. Report your thread/ask for thread title change and next time don't rage so hard. I hope the fan games he and the community make with the assets will be fun, I'll play those, if they ever release as he's yet to give the resources for them out. Hopefully some of them will be half as good as Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon or Odallus: The Dark Call, whether they are Classicvania or Metroidvania.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
If only Konami stepped in with tshirts that said "We do it".

Last edited:

dirthead

Banned
See, this is why I get irritated when fuckers like the Bloodstained guy said they couldn't have done it with sprites. Fuck you. It was totally possible. They just cheaped out on us. Random dudes can do it IN THEIR SPARE TIME.

Stop trying to dump shitty low poly 3D assets on us, you clowns.

Awesome idea...but then there's Unity. I've yet to play a Unity engine game that doesn't have problems. Plenty of games in Unity have fantastic ideas, but just don't perform that well. That said, Symphony of the Night is probably my favorite Castlevania game(I'm a casual fan at best, having played pretty much all major releases since I was a kid on the NES) and would love to see an update to the game I could use for another playthrough. I don't think I've touched it since the rerelease on the 360.

Totally agreed. Braindead decision to use Unity. Just thinking about all the future compatibility problems we're going to run into because people used that shit engine is horrifying.

I have no vested interest in castlevania so it pains me to see people who clearly have skills try to emulate something so close as to raise the ire of publishers when they're skilled enough to make their own game.

As someone who's remade a game before, I just want to extend a big middle finger to anyone arrogant enough to presume that it's being done for YOU or that it's a waste of time. I made my game fully knowing that it wasn't legal, I wouldn't receive any financial compensation for my effort, and I might not be able to distribute it. You know why I did it? Because it was fun and I wanted to play it, and it wasn't going to happen unless I did it. I didn't do it for money or to release it on Steam or even so some strangers on the internet--whose opinion I couldn't care less about--could play it. "Gone to waste?" Is everything you do for fun that you can't sell a "waste?" Bug off.

Last edited:

wtftad

Gold Member
Using Unity is the right call in this persons case. Tons of support through the forums, lots of tutorials available an extremely low cost of entry. Not to mention support across all platforms (mobile, console, pc/mac/linux).

Unity games perform poorly because they are made poorly, there are plenty of games that perform great using Unity.
Not interested in any sort of pissing contest, just speaking from personal experience through creating more than three dozen commercial projects using Unity 3D.
I will freely admit that we use a combination of our own tools and Unity to create our projects, but Unity is driving them.

dirthead

Banned
Using Unity is the right call in this persons case. Tons of support through the forums, lots of tutorials available an extremely low cost of entry. Not to mention support across all platforms (mobile, console, pc/mac/linux).

Unity games perform poorly because they are made poorly, there are plenty of games that perform great using Unity.
Not interested in any sort of pissing contest, just speaking from personal experience through creating more than three dozen commercial projects using Unity 3D.
I will freely admit that we use a combination of our own tools and Unity to create our projects, but Unity is driving them.

Unity actually really sucks when it comes to projects like this one, though. You have old and weird art assets that were created at strange aspect ratios and have to do all kinds of work to even get the graphics to display correctly. It's a huge pain in the ass to handle problems like that in Unity. Unity pretty much assumes that your assets are going to be contemporary, sane, and normal.

See, this is why I get irritated when fuckers like the Bloodstained guy said they couldn't have done it with sprites. Fuck you. It was totally possible. They just cheaped out on us. Random dudes can do it IN THEIR SPARE TIME.

Stop trying to dump shitty low poly 3D assets on us, you clowns.

Totally agreed. Braindead decision to use Unity. Just thinking about all the future compatibility problems we're going to run into because people used that shit engine is horrifying.

As someone who's remade a game before, I just want to extend a big middle finger to anyone arrogant enough to presume that it's being done for YOU or that it's a waste of time. I made my game fully knowing that it wasn't legal, I wouldn't receive any financial compensation for my effort, and I might not be able to distribute it. You know why I did it? Because it was fun and I wanted to play it, and it wasn't going to happen unless I did it. I didn't do it for money or to release it on Steam or even so some strangers on the internet--whose opinion I couldn't care less about--could play it. "Gone to waste?" Is everything you do for fun that you can't sell a "waste?" Bug off.

What game did you remake?

wtftad

Gold Member
Unity actually really sucks when it comes to projects like this one, though. You have old and weird art assets that were created at strange aspect ratios and have to do all kinds of work to even get the graphics to display correctly. It's a huge pain in the ass to handle problems like that in Unity. Unity pretty much assumes that your assets are going to be contemporary, sane, and normal.
Personally we have not struggled with issues like this, not saying that do not exist, just saying that we have been able to work with many sorts of assets successfully in Unity. I think it comes down to the technical ability of the person that is using the tool. Judging from this persons development length and asset progress, they certainly look very talented and more than competent with the tool chain.

xAlucardx

Neo Member
i wish Ubisoft didn't Backtrack on their word when they said that UbiArt Engine was going to be open source for everone to use, i feel its the only engine capable of of doing a 2D Castlevania Justice retaining Ayami Kojima art style in spirits artwork and level Design

dirthead

Banned
i wish Ubisoft didn't Backtrack on their word when they said that UbiArt Engine was going to be open source for everone to use, i feel its the only engine capable of of doing a 2D Castlevania Justice retaining Ayami Kojima art style in spirits artwork and level Design

2D game engines really aren't that hard to make today. What's singular about UbiArt that other people can't do?

Hudo

I know I should feel bad saying this (game dev is hard!) but from what I have seen, I like this more than Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. At least on a visual level.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I know I should feel bad saying this (game dev is hard!) but from what I have seen, I like this more than Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. At least on a visual level.

I still do. It find animation in Bloodstained to meet the same quality of the older games... it is still a bit too slow and weightless... running and jumping feels odd and this is what you do in 90% of the game of more...

Hudo

I still do. It find animation in Bloodstained to meet the same quality of the older games... it is still a bit too slow and weightless... running and jumping feels odd and this is what you do in 90% of the game of more...

This is basically my issue. That it looks like it feels odd. SOTN has a certain "connectedness" that Bloodstained doesn't appear to have. But again, I haven't played Bloodstained, so it might actually feel right.

I mean, I will give Bloodstained a fair shot because I trust Koji Igarashi to make it feel good.

xAlucardx

Neo Member
as a fan of SOTN, i have some high standards for a new game

they could have made something like this

sorry but no excuse for making a 3D game ....and then you hire the studio behind shantea who has experience in 2D to help fix your 3D game

no logic

Kamina

Golden Boy
Heh after looking at the video Kamina linked, I guarantee you that this isn't going to get finished.
He is working on this for 11 years now, and looking at the progress i see that he is dedicated to finishing it.
I asked him what his plan was regarding the other characters, if he wants to release one whole compelte SotN experiance or update later. His anwer was Alucard first.
So from my understanding he will finish fine tuning Alucards animations and update the SotN Map and Enemies to match them, then release the playable game. I am very positive this isnt too far off and that he will finish it eventually. The other characters should then follow eventually, depending on the level of funding.

Last edited:

DonF

I don't remember the original looking bad, but this one looks excellent. Great work, I hope Konami turns a blind eye.

Top Bottom