• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Someone thinks it would be cool to make Doom DS (homebrew)

SantaC

Some guy is developing Doom DS as a homebrew project, and he sounds very serious about it. Co-op and online play sounds great.

What version of Doom will DoomDS be most like?

DoomDS will be the game that Doom64 should have been.

Doom64 had huge potential, but in my opinion, fell short for many reasons.
The weapons looked great but were let down by a lack of animation. There weren't any reloading animations for the shotguns!
The monster designs were fantastic, but once again poor animation and an unusual use of color let them down.
They also come across as being plastic figurines, rather then fearsome demons from hell.
I'm confident the N64 could have handled 3D monsters with the help of a decent level-of-detail setup.

The levels, although painted with some fantastic textures, really didn't have much going for them.
The early base themed levels were far too cramped and contained far too much button pressing and maze sections.
The levels were just a collection of random hallways and rooms with tacky lighting and had no sense of actually being
in a huge military complex. Doom was known for alot of button pressing, key searching and maze sections, but it was nearly
every level. Gone were the day time outdoor sections with the classic green mountains. There was no
looking out from one room across a courtyard into another section. It was almost a step back.

DoomDS will take Doom and enhance its playability and graphics, but without highlighting the simplicity of its formula.

How will DoomDS play?

DoomDS will play like the Doom we all love.

The only change to the Doom formula will be the ability to freely look up and down.
I don't want to make Doom that plays like Quake. I want Doom.

The weapon and monster lineup are as follows:

Chainsaw.
Fists.
Pistol.
Shotgun.
Double Barrel Shotgun.
Chaingun.
Grenade Launcher.
Rocket Launcher.
Plasma Rifle.
BFG.

Former Soldier
Former Sergent.
Heavy Weapons Dude.
Imp.
Demon.
Spectre.
Lost Soul.
Caco Demon.
Pain Elemental.
Barron of Hell.
Revenant.
Mancubus.
Arch Vile.
Arachnotron.
Cyber Demon.
Spider Demon.

m79.jpg

What about Multiplayer Modes?

Multiplayer is going to be a big part of DoomDS.
I have a lot planned for Co-Op and Deathmatch modes.

Co-Op features are being integrated into the single player maps so that certain areas of the level change
when played in Co-Op mode. A particular level in the works involves each player controlling the advancement of the
other player by opening doors and pressing switches for them. The level is divided and players can see each other
through fencing and windows. I don't want to give too much away but I promise to make it a true Co-Operation event.

Not much is known right now about the Ds' WiFi capabilities. Until enough is known, this part of development
will be left till the end, but its potential is huge. Imagine going to a cafe that has a DS Hotspot, and playing
DoomDS against people in other countries.

There is currently a bounty for the person(s) who can crack the DS' WiFi. Check it out.

How will the controls be setup?
The controls will be fully re-mappable with several preset configurations available.

Below is a diagram of what I think is the best setup for the controls.

In the bottom corners of the touch screen will be pads for cycling through weapons.
Individual weapon selection via small buttons would be too fiddley, I don't think tapping through
the weapon list would be too difficult. What's your opinion on this?

controls.jpg

What will the sound and music be like?

Music will be a combination of the Doom64 and Playstation music tracks.
Ambient sounds worked better for those versions then the bopping beats of the original games.
As classic as the Midi's are, I want a much darker and evil soundtrack for DoomDS.

Sound effects will also be combinations from both games. I'd like to have more variety in the
enemies death, sight and pain sound effects, but if these cant be created without sounding home made
or don't sound close to the originals then they wont be used.

What will the graphics be like, what engine are you using?

At the moment its hard to predict what the DS will be capable of.
Console versions of PC games usually translate surprisingly good. This is usually due to
the game being programmed for one specific hardware configuration. This and the fact that they
run at fixed lower resolutions then PC's mean you get good performance with less powerful hardware.
Designing the engine specifically for the DS hardware and running at just 256x192 should allow
for a pretty nice looking game at a fast framerate. My only big concerns are color pallets and texture sizes.

Engine choice is something that I'm yet to decide on.
Coming form a big Quake background, its very logical for me to want to use a Quake engine and
re build it for the DS. I'm sure whatever engine is chosen that a lot of work will be needed to get the best
performance out of the DS. Having got into the editing scene when Quake came out, I never did any editing
for Doom, but the latest modifications to the Doom engines are surpassing the original Quake.

This is a subject I'd like the most feedback on.
I need a programmer to join this project as soon as possible and advice from a programmers point of view will help
with engine choice and allow me to progress with other areas of the development.

Design wise, DoomDS will be a new Doom experience but will retain the look of the original games.
It wont be as big a change that Doom64 was, but it will be a big change.
Hundreds of new textures have already been made, some of them are remakes of Doom64 textures.
Lots of old and new monster concepts are drawn and 3D models have been completed.

Check the Media page often for updates.

And check out the bunch of other information at http://dual-soft.com/doomds/

tenchir

Homebrew apps are beginning to trickle out for DS. Nester and MSX emus are already out that runs games pretty decently with no sound, and that's without any optimizations on DS hardware at all. There's also a couple of music players that came out last week and a JPEG viewer that came out a couple of days ago I think. I heard that a couple of emu will be released tonight for 4th of July.

Sho Nuff

Banned
"This is a subject I'd like the most feedback on.
I need a programmer to join this project as soon as possible and advice from a programmers point of view will help
with engine choice and allow me to progress with other areas of the development."

Um yes, a programmer might help.

Under his "media" section, aren't those all legacy Doom II textures from the high-res pack? And aren't those models freely available for jDoom?

SantaC

Sho Nuff said:
Under his "media" section, aren't those all legacy Doom II textures from the high-res pack? And aren't those models freely available for jDoom?

he clearly states that the shots in media section are only mockups.

Level shots are just doctored images. They are shots of levels for the project taken from within Worldcraft.
False I know, but helps you visualize the game better.

too bad, i was hoping for a port of Doom64 for the DS with some of the
cosmetic changes he was talking about. i liked the game... what little i
played of it.

Zeo

Banned
JackFrost2012 said:
If he doesn't have a programmer, "under development" is awfully generous.

How about "Someone thinks it would be cool to make Doom DS (homebrew)"

Shit, man, if I'd known homebrew was this easy, I'da gotten started YEARS ago!

I'm porting Quake to the DS! It's gonna rule!

Level designers, modelers, skinners, animators, musicians, and programmers wanted. I'll do story.

I am also gonna port Doom to the Dreamcast in 2009.

Sho Nuff

Banned
SantaCruZer said:
shit, I should never have mentioned this to the negative crew. My bad.

Not "negative," more like "suspicious of anything that is completely lacking content and has no staff"

SantaC

Sho Nuff said:
Not "negative," more like "suspicious of anything that is completely lacking content and has no staff"

He started 6 days ago, and he says that he did some work for PC but scrapped it in favor of the DS. He also has ideas for the game as you can read, and I don't think he will have problem getting a crew for this since doom is a famous game.

ok ok so under development is a generous title, but WHY must we nitpick on everything. Doom DS planned is that ok for you? sigh :(

BlueLegs

It would be hard enough just to port the original doom to the DS let alone with all 3d models and whatever else this guy is going on about, this will never be completed, it will be lucky to even get a beta release.

BTW i would actually pay real cash for Doom and Doom 2 pack ported to the ds with co-op and multiplayer (wifi).

Ranger X

Beezy said:
Does anyone care about lefthanded people?!

Seems like will be able to map the controls as you want. And that's a chance because the control sheme in the picture up there is the shittiest thing ever, even for right-handed...

Wyzdom said:
Seems like will be able to map the controls as you want. And that's a chance because the control sheme in the picture up there is the shittiest thing ever, even for right-handed...

Actually they look very close to the Metroid Hunters controls, which are quite good for a portable FPS with free look.

Companies like ID should evaluate things like this and see if the people involved are serious and competent enough to do the job. They could offer a little help, not even have to pay people (because they're enthusiastic enough to be doing homebrew in the first place) and then if it all works out, maybe see to getting the game/product out there.

I thought the same thing about Warp Pipe.

Ranger X

AtomicShroom said:
Actually they look very close to the Metroid Hunters controls, which are quite good for a portable FPS with free look.

He said he won't change the game and want it to play like Doom. You don't need a freelook in Doom. Or course he can put up one for this game but it shouldn't be determinent for the gameplay. I hope he keeps the option for mapping the controls available. I would map it as follows (if freelook isn't important in the gameplay)

D-pad: forward/turn right/backward/turn left
L shoulder: open/use/run
R shoulder: strafe button (hold)
B: shoot
Y: previous weapon
X: next weapon

I went ahead and emailed him. I feel the least I can do is encourage him to move forward with the project since I would love to see the homebrew community bring Doom to the DS.

I hope he can find a programming enthusiastic to tackle this project. I would love to see a cross of Doom 64 with the awesome DS touch screen controls and 3D models.

SantaC

evilromero said:
I went ahead and emailed him. I feel the least I can do is encourage him to move forward with the project since I would love to see the homebrew community bring Doom to the DS.

I hope he can find a programming enthusiastic to tackle this project. I would love to see a cross of Doom 64 with the awesome DS touch screen controls and 3D models.

I think I'll mail him as well and point to this thread so he get some motivation and show the doubters.

dbish

Since DS is online, is it possible to get these apps and emulators without a flash drive? Or am I going to have to bite the bullet and buy one?

Sho Nuff

Banned
SantaCruZer said:
I think I'll mail him as well and point to this thread so he get some motivation and show the doubters.

If this actually gets released in playable form, and it isn't just a port, the mods can change my tag to FUCKING DOUCHEBAG.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Sho Nuff said:
If this actually gets released in playable form, and it isn't just a port, the mods can change my tag to FUCKING DOUCHEBAG.

But the mods can do that anyway. ;)

Ponn

Banned
I need help developing a Smurfs FPS. You throw smurfberries and other arsenals of weaponary made by Handy Smurf and fight evil woodland animals and take on the dark forces of Gargamel and Azrael. You can play either Brainy Smurf the strategist, Hefty Smurf the demolitionist, Jokey smurf the prankster or Smurfette the seductress. All have special abilities and weapons only they can use. You can eventually unlock other characters like Papa smurf who uses dark magic to twist and torture the foolish enemies. Are you a bad enough dude to gut Gargamel open?

SmurfsDS - under development

Top Bottom