• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Something about Dark Souls II on GameTrailers, next week?

Risette

A Good Citizen
Hopefully it has an easy mode, save anywhere, a helper character, dubstep music, and Mountain Dew health restore items.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Since everyone thinks DSII is going to suck and be another shitty AAA game, I expect a trailer with nothing but deaths in a variety of ways like one of the Dark Souls E3 trailers.

#teampositive

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
As Souls God, I'm going to criticize this video.

Slow and steady wins the race...also shields

The first time you play it maybe, but if you played Demon's Souls, there was no need to play Dark Souls, even on your first run, poking with a spear behind a great shield. Definitely the easiest way to play but you can take some risks if you're used to how the games play.

Stuff about not making it obvious where to go

Agree completely, next.

Have no difficulty settings

Derp, not getting into this nonsense, though their point about online play demanding there be no difficulty levels is completely nonsense, and so is the 'sense of accomplishment' via equal footing their talking about.

Don't include a love interest

They're using the trailer as if it's implying there will be romance? Dark Souls trailers had the same thing. Girl praying over the dead person missing an eye zzz dumb point to make. It would be fine either way. It wouldn't ruin the game to add a love interest.

Preorder incentives

Yeah I guess, but no game should have this so whatever. You wouldn't not have the "true Dark Souls experience" (ugh) if you could not get cursed or had early access to rings though.

THIS ISN'T JUST A GAME...THIS IS DARK SOULS....

Ok. Too much pandering and marketing going to this supposed hardcore difficult aspect of these games. They aren't that bad despite what Namco marketing or guys screaming on twitch.tv will tell you.

Watch it turn into Monster Hunter.

Monster Hunter tie-in ala Peace Walker.

gambossmhp3530.jpg

gamsnakemhp3530.jpg

I agree with every single point in that video and hope FromSoft doesn't screw it up. Love the sentence at the end: "This isn't just a game... this is Dark Souls."

Ushae

Banned
I hope they don't fuck this up.

• Streamlining should only be applied to the interface, eg explaining scaling bonuses etc
  • Easy Mode is a big no no
  • Better graphics is a big bonus, hopefully next gen.
  • Tutorials are ok, but no hand holding.Fuck wider audiences, when you already have a great fan base.

Monster Hunter tie-in ala Peace Walker.

gambossmhp3530.jpg

gamsnakemhp3530.jpg

I don't even... what the....

Still better than Raiden.

On topic - keep the focus on exploration, both in terms of place and myth. Finding a new object was just as exciting as opening a door into a new area, which doesn't happen often in RPGs.

Tiops

I'm trying hard to not get hyped about this. Demon's and Dark Souls are my favorite games this gen, but I'm feeling that I will be really disappointed with the changes they'll make in the game. I'm expecting a really dumbed down version, with QTEs and tons of cutscenes...

I really hope I'm wrong.

"Exclusive helper fairy, only when you pre-order at Gamestop"

That would be pretty sweet if it is a little humanity that helps direct you and distract enemies but eats a portion of all the souls you collect. It could get stronger as the game goes on, leveling up on its own. Then it could become a red phantom and hunt your mercilessly throughout the rest of the game for being such a bitch.

That would be pretty sweet if it is a little humanity that helps direct you and distract enemies but eats a portion of all the souls you collect. It could get stronger as the game goes on, leveling up on its own. Then it could become a red phantom and hunt your mercilessly throughout the rest of the game for being such a bitch.

It would be cool if someone could come in and control said fairy. They could either help or hinder. I would hinder.

Jowy

Neo Member
I'm trying hard to not get hyped about this. Demon's and Dark Souls are my favorite games this gen, but I'm feeling that I will be really disappointed with the changes they'll make in the game. I'm expecting a really dumbed down version, with QTEs and tons of cutscenes...

I really hope I'm wrong.

My thoughts exactly.

Raide

I would love some subtle cross-overs in DS2. Japan do it loads with the Something X Something. Throw in some iconic Anime weapons or stuff like Luffy's hat. :p

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Really, they might change some stuff, but you guys are seriously expecting QTEs?

I would love some subtle cross-overs in DS2. Japan do it loads with the Something X Something. Throw in some iconic Anime weapons or stuff like Luffy's hat. :p

I've been calling for Armored Core x Idolm@ster themed armour since pre Dark Souls launch.

Tiops

Really, they might change some stuff, but you guys are seriously expecting QTEs?
I'm expecting anything that might "appeal to a wider audience".

The only things that would surprise me would be guns and a cover system.

yami4ct

Even if they did those, licensing would likely prevent them from coming to the US. The whole reason MH3U US and EU players can't play with Japan is that Japan has some JoJo's Bizarre Adventure stand themed equipment for the Shakalakas. The Tales games always have a ton of anime costume DLC that never makes it over as well.

Honestly, if the only thing they do is add a difficulty setting, than I'm cool with that. I have no problem making an easier mode for people that want that so long as I get my harder mode and the easy mode people's messages and phantoms are on another server. Really, see zero issues with an easy mode. If it's like Fire Emblem Awakening's Casual mode and just an optional thing, than I don't care.

Forkball

original.gif

Things I want in DS2:

The ability to play with friends whenever and wherever
PVP matchmaking or server browser
Revamp of humanity system

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan

Hard to not have lowered expectations after being burned so many times by watered down, casualized sequels, but nah I think it's a little much to expect things will change that severely.

Deadstar

I'm expecting anything that might "appeal to a wider audience".

The only things that would surprise me would be guns and a cover system.

The entire reason that Dark Souls is an incredible game is because it isn't watered down trash made for fools. The only thing I personally think they could do to appeal to a wider audience is maybe have some more explanation of the games systems. Leave the gameplay alone.

Only cross over that would be Berserk. Maybe some weapons from famous anime like Mugens sword from Samurai Champloo, Ichigo's sword from Bleach etc. Thing is most of the swords in anime are really generic in that there either a katana or a massively sized great sword.

Tiops

The entire reason that Dark Souls is an incredible game is because it isn't watered down trash made for fools. The only thing I personally think they could do to appeal to a wider audience is maybe have some more explanation of the games systems. Leave the gameplay alone.
Yes, that would be the obvious thing to do by the devs. But I've seen so much shit this gen that I don't believe in the capacity of devs understanding what they should do in the sequels anymore.

My all time favorite franchise is Final Fantasy. You can understand how disappointed I am in this gen. I don't want to be that disappointed again.

Maybe I'm being to dramatic, but I can't help it.

Only cross over that would be Berserk. Maybe some weapons from famous anime like Mugens sword from Samurai Champloo, Ichigo's sword from Bleach etc. Thing is most of the swords in anime are really generic in that there either a katana or a massively sized great sword.

Probably impossible, but a Rurouni Kenshin styled reverse-blade would be great as a gag weapon.

Tymerend

The series has gotten popular to the point of being a valuable property, I have to assume their budget is increasing to boot. When more money is involved, they're going to take far fewer risks. They're going to make the game more casual, less challanging, and requiring less skill to appeal to as wide an audience as possible.

They're going to make a game that most people who enjoyed Demon's and Dark won't like, but will buy anyway because that's what happens. It's also going to be purchased by a much larger group of gamers who've heard it's more accessible, or have just heard about period from their gamer friends who keep on touting how awesome it is.

It's going to kinda emulate what make the first two games so great, but it's going to miss. It'll have a tutorial level, it'll have a hint system, the combat will be boiled down to a much more streamlined level. Parry system will probably be either ditched or made so simple that timing doesn't REALLY matter. Health will regen, stats will be condensed to attack, defense, and maybe stamina. Your souls will no longer vanish if you die before you reach them, if you lose them at all upon death. There will be fewer secrets overall, or they will be plainly spelled out somewhere. Being able to be invaded will possibly be an option you can switch on and off. Bosses will still probably be dangerous, but much easier.

This is all my cynical opinion talking, based on my experience with so many other trilogies that have dissapointed me in the third game. I do hope I'm wrong, as I love the first two games. Thankfully, those two games are so deep, I'll continue to play and enjoy them for a good while longer anyway.

Soriku

I don't even... what the....

Still better than Raiden.

On topic - keep the focus on exploration, both in terms of place and myth. Finding a new object was just as exciting as opening a door into a new area, which doesn't happen often in RPGs.

image_thumb125.png

UrbanRats

I think some form of easy mode is to be expected, but it's not that bad, as long as they keep it offline only or find some way not to unbalance that side of the game (which is already broken in the original, anyway).

As long as the main game is designed to be hard, i don't see why you people care what others do in their living rooms.

What i am worried about is a more straightforward narrative, that could seriously fuck up the atmosphere of the game.

Orayn

Have you Negative Nancies been keeping up with the interviews with Miyazaki and the new producer? It sounds like the "more accessible" stuff is coming mainly in the form of making the beginning of the game less intimidating and more didactic, like the Undead Asylum and Undead Burg but better. They're not going to turn the whole thing into God of War.

Top Bottom