• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Something I notice in Wii U reviews but not with Switch reviews

fart town usa

Gold Member
Go watch or read a review for almost any game on the Wii U. The reviewer or people in the comments will remark on how people should ditch the gamepad in favor of playing the game with a classic controller.

Enter, the Switch:

People love that it's completely portable and most people (based on reviews/comments) prefer to play in handheld mode. I won't even get into the drift issue.

Does anyone else see the irony? Maybe people are buying pro controller shaped joy cons? I don't even know if such a thing exists.

I guess my point is that in hindsight, it's pretty obvious that the Wii U was being dog piled from the get go and to know that people are being sent free games, and being paid to just shit on something, while then lauding the same thing cause it's a new console just comes off as incredibly disingenuous.

greg miller is a turd master

ZZXp1WZ.jpg

Last edited:

Max_Po

Banned
Well... why don't you actually play on a Wii U ?

- Shit hardware.
- Shit software.
- Slow shit ass OS.
- Chubby shit Tablet controller with 3.5 hour battery. Majority of games only use gimmick second screen. Breaks immersion...
- The only thing I remember playing in portable mode is LoZ WW remake.....

Switch Portable is the console itself.... a console you can take any where... the Wii U tablet looses sync if you move away from console.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I don't rate the Joy-Cons very highly compared to an actual controller like the Switch Pro, but the Wii U Gamepad felt like ass in comparison, I bought a Wii U to play BotW and after a few hours I had to go find homebrew (HID to VPAD) to be able to use my dualshock 4 on it.

The analogue stick position felt AWFUL to me and I wasn't able to aim the bow properly, just everything about it was crap to me, it felt terrible to hold for extended periods as well.

ACESHIGH

Banned
I call it the xbox one syndrome: A game no matter how good or bad is is given +/- points depending if the platform is on its popular or not. You will also notice how Wii U games ported to the Switch have superior MC scores than the original games, in spite of being just a quick port for the most part.

Game reviews are all about selling a certain narrative and trying not to piss off the dominant platform userbases, since they may be your readers/customers as well.

fart town usa

Gold Member

- Shit hardware.
- shit software.
- slow shit ass OS.
- Chubby shit Tablet controller with 3.5 hour battery. Majority of games only use gimmick second screen. Breaks immersion...

Switch Portable is the console itself.... a console you can take any where... the Wii U tablet looses sync if you move away from console.
I do regularly play the Wii U, I'm a self professed Wii U fanboy and have probably spent close to $500 on Wii U purchases the past 6 months. I also own a Switch. You didn't comment on anything though regarding people saying to not play with the gamepad but then are excited to play the Switch in handheld mode. That's my point, the hypocrisy of it all.
The Joycons work better than the Wii U brick though? That's one of the areas they went hard on by giving people a lot of choice with them.
Do they though? They don't. If anything the Joy Cons are worse cause of the drift issue and the fact that they are incredibly small when attached to the controller dock. Really innovative for using 1 set for 2 player though, I love that. I think MK8 feels great with that little baby controller.

Also, how is the gamepad a brick but the Switch isn't? The Switch by design is a brick if I'm following your train of thought.

Again, I noticed the hypocrisy of it and wondered if anyone else noticed it too.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Go watch or read a review for almost any game on the Wii U. The reviewer or people in the comments will remark on how people should ditch the gamepad in favor of playing the game with a classic controller.

Enter, the Switch:

People love that it's completely portable and most people (based on reviews/comments) prefer to play in handheld mode. I won't even get into the drift issue.

Does anyone else see the irony? Maybe people are buying pro controller shaped joy cons? I don't even know if such a thing exists.

I guess my point is that in hindsight, it's pretty obvious that the Wii U was being dog piled from the get go and to know that people are being sent free games, and being paid to just shit on something, while then lauding the same thing cause it's a new console just comes off as incredibly disingenuous.

greg miller is a turd master

ZZXp1WZ.jpg
The difference is that the Wii U controller was more comfortable.

baphomet

Wii U as a console was shit from day 1. A terrible idea that was based around trying to divide your focus between 2 completely separate screens.

Ditching one of the screens (either ditching the tablet or playing only on tablet) was the only way to play a Wii U enjoyably.

YCoCg

Do they though? They don't. If anything the Joy Cons are worse cause of the drift issue and the fact that they are incredibly small when attached to the controller dock. Really innovative for using 1 set for 2 player though, I love that. I think MK8 feels great with that little baby controller.

Also, how is the gamepad a brick but the Switch isn't? The Switch by design is a brick if I'm following your train of thought.

Again, I noticed the hypocrisy of it and wondered if anyone else noticed it too.
Well to me the Switch feels a lot better to hold and use compared to the Wii U, so I don't know what you want me to prove nor what's hypocrisy about it.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Well to me the Switch feels a lot better to hold and use compared to the Wii U, so I don't know what you want me to prove nor what's hypocrisy about it.
That's fair that you prefer the Switch. I meant hypocrisy of game reviewers, not so much your comment.

I still think it's weird that you refer to the gamepad as a brick when the Switch in handheld mode is literally a less ergonomic Wii U gamepad.

Max_Po

Banned
I do regularly play the Wii U, I'm a self professed Wii U fanboy and have probably spent close to $500 on Wii U purchases the past 6 months. I also own a Switch. You didn't comment on anything though regarding people saying to not play with the gamepad but then are excited to play the Switch in handheld mode. That's my point, the hypocrisy of it all.

Hypocrisy?
If you read my post, Wii U tablet is not comfortable at all and it is not a complete console. As stated if you move around it looses sync.

Switch is incredibly more comfortable and much easier to control.

I purchased a Wii U day1 as well. One of the dumbest things I have ever done in my life.

Calverz

- Shit hardware.
- shit software.
- slow shit ass OS.

tyson GIF

YCoCg

I still think it's weird that you refer to the gamepad as a brick when the Switch in handheld mode is literally a less ergonomic Wii U gamepad.
On this one it's because I think the switch makes better use of its design and space, in comparison the Wii U feels bulky compared to what you're getting from it. The Switch does and shows a lot more so it feels more impressive.

You will also notice how Wii U games ported to the Switch have superior MC scores than the original games, in spite of being just a quick port for the most part.
Actually I don't, unless you count a few points difference as something major. The difference is often larger than that between Xbox-Playstation-PC. And I could easily see a reviewer adding 5-10 points if they really prefer the Switch controls or portability or performance without it being disingenuous. Actually the BotW score seem generous considering it doesn't run that well on Wii U.

BotW
Switch 97
Wii U 96

Mario 3D world
Switch 89
Wii U 93

Mario Kart 8
Switch 92
Wii U 88

Bayonetta 2
Switch 92
Wii U 91

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Switch 86
Wii U 83

Pikmin 3
Switch 85
Wii U 87

THEAP99

Banned
When the Wii U came out I had one. I remember talking to some random in a black ops 2 lobby on ps3 about it and saying "yeah the Wii U would be cool if I could take the gamepad actually anywhere.." and now here we are. It was a logical step.

lachesis

I love my Wii U controller. It's thick and rounded, surprisingly light and comfortable to hold.
I actually enjoyed playing BOTW with that controller than Switch. For me, Switch Pro controller was absolute must for me to play long hours, docked - but Wii U, I didn't feel like I needed a pro controller to begin with.

I call it the xbox one syndrome: A game no matter how good or bad is is given +/- points depending if the platform is on its popular or not. You will also notice how Wii U games ported to the Switch have superior MC scores than the original games, in spite of being just a quick port for the most part.

Game reviews are all about selling a certain narrative and trying not to piss off the dominant platform userbases, since they may be your readers/customers as well.
Vita had that problem too. Vita games were relentlessly shit on for not being native res (especially games like Uncharted), meanwhile Switch games have the most dogshit resolution imaginable and people just plug their ears and say "but my portable experience!"

The Vita was also a portable...

Spokker

I found both the Wii U gamepad and the Switch in portable mode uncomfortable. My hands cramp up and I can only play for 15 minutes.

You'd think an NES controller would be uncomfortable with my hands but I think my bones changed shape and are still in prime NES controller position 30 years later. I can play an NES game all day baby.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Hypocrisy?
If you read my post, Wii U tablet is not comfortable at all and it is not a complete console. As stated if you move around it looses sync.

Switch is incredibly more comfortable and much easier to control.

I purchased a Wii U day1 as well. One of the dumbest things I have ever done in my life.
The thread has nothing to do with the gamepad not being the console itself or the limited range it has.

It's about reviewers shitting on the gamepad, telling people to buy a pro controller instead, but then later adoring the Switch in handheld mode, which is essentially the same thing as holding a Wii U gamepad.

Last reply because I can't take anyone serious if they say "Wii U tablet is not comfortable at all..."

This is a stupid ass thread about something completely irrelevant in 2021, I made it cause I noticed the hypocrisy cause I've been buying Wii U titles and watching reviews and wanted to see if anyone else noticed it. Plus, it is hypocritical to shit over the Wii U gamepad but then act like the Switch is just amazing. If you like the Switch over the Wii U, awesome, I'm happy for you. Just don't shit over the ergonomics of a controller when you're essentially in favor of a slimmer version of it. It makes zero sense.

Neff

It was incredibly fashionable to shit on the Wii U in 2012/2013, for many reasons.

And yeah, while the range was (very) limited, the semi-portability of the platform certainly had its uses. I have fond memories of killing a comfy evening with Mario, Miiverse or Netflix in bed.

While Switch is clearly on a whole new level, it fully vindicates Wii U's experimental ambitions.

Bridges

Anyone who swears by the GamePad being uncomfortable must have tiny hands. There are so many issues with the Wii U, but the controller's comfort was not one of them, it felt very good to hold, compared to most controllers now that are made for baby hands (especially Joycons).

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
The Wii U tablet felt like a Fisher Price tablet or something with this awful high contrast screen with terrible backlight bleed. Huge and bulky with a short battery life that necessitated having it sit on the charger the whole time anyway. Plus you were tethered to a fairly short radius around the console before it started moaning about connection loss.

So clearly the games were great but the overall experience wasn't. There's always going to be some amount of QoL aspect to these things.

Pidull

I've put thousands of hours into my Wii U gamepad, no drift whatsoever.

I've gone through 6 joycons with drift already, it's a fucking joke. Nintendo made 6 BILLION in profit for 2020 and this is still an issue.

Wii U is a great system. I still wish BotW had all it's Gamepad features on the Wii U version.

Last edited:

salamanderjuice

Neo Member
Vita had that problem too. Vita games were relentlessly shit on for not being native res (especially games like Uncharted), meanwhile Switch games have the most dogshit resolution imaginable and people just plug their ears and say "but my portable experience!"

The Vita was also a portable...
I feel like it was more noticeable on Vita. Some Vita games like AC3: Liberation IIRC ran at PSP level resolutions. Plus we had games with dogshit framerates too like borderlands 2 and Resident Evil Revlations 2.

I'm living in a bizarro world in which people find the Switch in handheld mode to be more comfortable than the Wii U gamepad. Da fuk!?

Yes, the Wii U had its fair share of issues. Say what you will about the gamepad. The (at this point, cliché) complaints about it feeling like "a Fisher price plastic toy" sound like a broken record, but since it's a visual/aesthetic opinion, I won't oppose it. But uncomfortable, it was not. ESPECIALLY when compared to the Switch in handheld mode. C'mon son.

I'm gonna go even further than the OP and say that, for me, the Wii U was the best Nintendo console since the Super Nintendo. Also, while the Switch is pretty awesome, in some circles it's overrated as hell, with some people acting like it's the second coming of Jesus Christ. Which is why I'm not surprised at the analysis/opinion of the OP; it's a no-brainer that you'll have better reviews for the same software on a console you like more.

Also, the Wii U library was amazing. So far, the library of Switch-exclusive stuff has paled in comparison to the amazing library of the Wii U.

Wii U was (actually, still is) awesome. Haters can take a hike 😂

fart town usa

Gold Member
I feel like it was more noticeable on Vita. Some Vita games like AC3: Liberation IIRC ran at PSP level resolutions. Plus we had games with dogshit framerates too like borderlands 2 and Resident Evil Revlations 2.
Man, I'm dying to play Rev2 on the Vita. I already have it on the PS3 and PS4 but if a RE game is released on a platform, I gotta check it out. Someday I'll get it...

NickFire

We have a Switch, and used to have a Wii U. There is no comparison to be had. The wii u gamepad was huge, and the screen was a gimmick. The switch has a genuine screen to play the game on, so the extra size makes sense.

Also, we almost exclusively use the pro controller on switch. Far superior.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I never really understood the hate for the Wii U. Don’t get me wrong. It definitely had issues, but it was MUCH better than the Wii imo.
naah in retrospect it isn't

wii had all the big games.. wii u was lacking,
but since the wii u can play all wii games..

i gues technically you are right?? The only issues is raw 240P signal from wiiU
making the wii better for retrogaming

Last edited:

Kerotan

- Shit hardware.
- Shit software.
- Slow shit ass OS.

Shit software? So many of the best rated and best selling switch games are Wii U ports. The reality is Nintendo needs portability otherwise their console will sell like shit. The Wii was super cheap and had the motion control fad / phenomenon.

We have a Switch, and used to have a Wii U. There is no comparison to be had. The wii u gamepad was huge, and the screen was a gimmick. The switch has a genuine screen to play the game on, so the extra size makes sense.

Also, we almost exclusively use the pro controller on switch. Far superior.
The Wii U gamepad had a genuine screen to play on. Many times I traveled out of town on a bus, would just plug in the console itself (because these buses have power outlets), and just play on the Gamepad.

Other times, I had a girlfriend who was watching some show on TV and I would just play on the Gamepad.

You may not like the Gamepad. But it was not a gimmick.

Fbh

It's probably not because most people prefer the feel of joycons but rather because the Switch actually works as a portable. When you're playing Switch in docked mode the pro controller is also better, but when you switch to handheld you get more than the slight convenience of off-screen play in a very limited area around the main console.

The gamepad didn't only have horrible battery life (mine lasted like 40 minutes tops after a year of use), the range was also laughably terrible.

Want to play in bed? Oh you can't because the main console is in the living room
Want to play on the terrace/balcony? Oh you can't because the console is too far away
Want to play anywhere in your house that isn't right next to the console? Sorry no signal
Want to play on your way to work? Oh you can't because it's all tied to a big regular console

Last edited:
naah in retrospect it isn't

wii had all the big games.. wii u was lacking,
but since the wii u can play all wii games..

i gues technically you are right?? The only issues is raw 240P signal from wiiU
I guess all the endless shovelware on the Wii is what made me prefer the Wii U, but yeah that’s true though.

Mihos

Gold Member
I don't think I have played any switch games in portable mode. I just like the pro controller and find the joycons completely unplayable.

I am playing Tokyo Mirage Sessions on Wii U right now, coincidently.

salamanderjuice

Neo Member
I loved the Wii U, but that tablet sucked to play with.
I loved it. I played the majority of my Wii U time in off TV play. It's far more comfortable than a Switch, has a real D-pad and I think having both sticks up top while weird at first is the best way to play FPS. Battery life sucked but at least my model of Wii U came with a dock that made it super easy to charge. Really the only problem with it is the screen quality. Just not high enough res. And it worked as a TV remote!!!

kevm3

- Shit hardware.
- Shit software.
- Slow shit ass OS.

How is the software on Wii U garbage when many of the Switch's biggest games are Wii U ports?
Mario Kart 8
Zelda BOTW
Pikmin 3
New Super Mario Brothers 2
Mario 3d World
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
Xenoblade Chronicles

among others

The Wii U pad is actually more comfortable than the switch. The main advantage the switch has is that it's the actual console itself. The Wii U also had the advantage of actually allowing you to own games on the virtual console instead of hiding games behind a subscription.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I'll echo the praise that the Wii U gamepad is FAR more comfortable to hold than the Switch. Now I barely ever used the off-tv mode as that screen just wasn't pleasant to look at, but it served it's purpose on a few occasions. The Switch gives me handaches after about an hour or so of use. It's probably my biggest complaint with it. If at all possible I will put the kickstand down and use my pro controller when using it in portable mode. That said, it still sucks to hold. I should just bite the bullet and get some grips for the damn thing, but I'm holding out for hope that a new Switch is on the horizon and I'd rather not waste money buying accessories for the Switch if there's a new one on the horizon.

Top Bottom