• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Something I notice in Wii U reviews but not with Switch reviews

Banned
What? the Wii U controller felt like a 2 dollar plastic box, it was the worst controller I can think of on any modern mainstream console. If you like the Wii-U controller you are objectively wrong, it's not defendable.

the Wii U gamepad is a way more comfortable and robust way to play ANY game ever compared to the Switch. the Switch in handheld mode is a thin, unergonomic and heavy rectangle with some of the worst analog sticks ever produced and a d-pad from hell.

ANYTHING is better than playing Switch in Handheld mode with the original joycons... I use the Hori Split-Pad which is at least one way to make it barable even tho you lose functionality

Last edited:
I don't disagree that WiiU was dog piled, and reviewers behave like some crazy hivemind, but also nintendo did make significant mistakes with the WiiU that are worthy of some criticism.

It's bizarre to me that most people would prefer handheld mode on switch. Truly? I wonder if we should do a poll or something. I guess someone probably already did. I usually play switch on a big television with a pro controller.

I did the same with the WiiU. I love my nintendo stuff but I never liked the gamepad that much. If I was playing a great WiiU game that used the gamepad like Xenoblade Chronicles X, I would play using a pro controller and have the gamepad nearby on a charger to reach over and use when I needed to. If my big tv is right there, I don't see any reason to use that overly large controller unless I have to.

Even though they're somewhat similar in size and shape, I'm ok with the Switch in handheld mode because it's a true portable I can take anywhere.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Switch 86
Wii U 83
No way the game should have a higher score on Switch. Adding Funky Kong should remove at least 10 points from your score.

Zeroing

Banned
One thing I can tell you! The joy-cons are not ergonomic… who thought of using the word “joy” is really a sadistic

MagnesG

Banned
Doesn't Xenoblade 2 drop to 368p? That is like half the resolution of the screen, and it's a 6 inch screen lol
When it chugs. In most cases, it was 540p throughout the game, which is pretty serviceable. I'm always a portable player though so you won't see me complaining about graphics ever even with the 240p 3D DS games.

Maybe, just maybe those people who are complaining aren't portable lovers themselves?

nush

Gold Member
Well... why don't you actually play on a Wii U ?

- Shit hardware.
- Shit software.
- Slow shit ass OS.
- Chubby shit Tablet controller with 3.5 hour battery. Majority of games only use gimmick second screen. Breaks immersion...
- The only thing I remember playing in portable mode is LoZ WW remake.....

Switch Portable is the console itself.... a console you can take any where... the Wii U tablet looses sync if you move away from console.

what-year-is-it-jumanji.gif

alf717

One thing I did enjoy about the gamepad was when you could use it to switch out items without pausing the game. Not a whole lot of games used it like that but I really like that about the gamepad. Could of been used better in the Assassin's Creed titles but it was great when playing Splinter Cell and ZombieU. Batman used it like that as well if I remember correctly,

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
One thing I did enjoy about the gamepad was when you could use it to switch out items without pausing the game. Not a whole lot of games used it like that but I really like that about the gamepad. Could of been used better in the Assassin's Creed titles but it was great when playing Splinter Cell and ZombieU. Batman used it like that as well if I remember correctly,
Yes, though people have been doing that since DS/3DS days.

jigglet

Banned
What irony, it's a completely different console.

Are you going to start comparing the Palm Pilot with the iPhone 12 cause both have touch screens?

I don't rate the Joy-Cons very highly compared to an actual controller like the Switch Pro, but the Wii U Gamepad felt like ass in comparison, I bought a Wii U to play BotW and after a few hours I had to go find homebrew (HID to VPAD) to be able to use my dualshock 4 on it.

The analogue stick position felt AWFUL to me and I wasn't able to aim the bow properly, just everything about it was crap to me, it felt terrible to hold for extended periods as well.
They didnt call it the Pii U for nothin'

Corgi1985

Banned
one thing i did enjoy about the wiiu gamepad is that the joycons are complete fucking shit and the wiiu pad isn't as awful

Kimahri

Banned
Go watch or read a review for almost any game on the Wii U. The reviewer or people in the comments will remark on how people should ditch the gamepad in favor of playing the game with a classic controller.

Enter, the Switch:

People love that it's completely portable and most people (based on reviews/comments) prefer to play in handheld mode. I won't even get into the drift issue.

Does anyone else see the irony? Maybe people are buying pro controller shaped joy cons? I don't even know if such a thing exists.

I guess my point is that in hindsight, it's pretty obvious that the Wii U was being dog piled from the get go and to know that people are being sent free games, and being paid to just shit on something, while then lauding the same thing cause it's a new console just comes off as incredibly disingenuous.

greg miller is a turd master

ZZXp1WZ.jpg
I've reviewed many games on both wii u and switch, and I have nevere done this. You just have a hate boner for reviewers and think getting a game to review for free is some spoiled brat shit when in reality it means nothing more to the reviewer than "okay, so this is my job the coming week".

You're full of shit.

I hate the joycons and prefer the pro controller, but I'm not about to tell others what they should do with their hands. Neither have I seen others do it.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I've reviewed many games on both wii u and switch, and I have nevere done this. You just have a hate boner for reviewers and think getting a game to review for free is some spoiled brat shit when in reality it means nothing more to the reviewer than "okay, so this is my job the coming week".

You're full of shit.

I hate the joycons and prefer the pro controller, but I'm not about to tell others what they should do with their hands. Neither have I seen others do it.

Here's one off the top of my head cause I just bought the game and was watching reviews.

How is the gamepad not sufficient for this game but the pro controller is? The button layout is identical except for the start/select placement.

Last edited:

SegaShack

A hacked Wii U can play games from any nintendo console (including gba and ds) with nintendo made emulators and can even play gamecube discs natively.

The Wii U VC is dark and not so great but you can just play the games in the virtual wii mode of the wii u.

I bought both a Wii U and a Switch at launch.

Since I already have a PS4/XB1 the third party games on the switch don't do anything for me, and the first party games I already owned on Wii U and don't care to buy them again.

The switch is great for those that never bought a Wii U though, although it does lack virtual console.

scydrex

I played with a Switch on handheld and the Wii U gamepad. For me the Wii U gamepad is more comfortable to hold than the Switch. I hated playing with one joycon is a POS. For the Switch i prefer the Pro controller.

Here's one off the top of my head cause I just bought the game and was watching reviews.

How is the gamepad not sufficient for this game but the pro controller is? The button layout is identical except for the start/select placement.

I didn't play the game, but that seems laughably unjustified indeed. Unless you have to constantly use R and L, which require to stretch the fingers when you play on Gamepad.

Kimahri

Banned

I'm not gonna excuse other's opinions, and I'm not really bothered enough to watch this video to see what the problem is. In general I prefer the pro controllers since I just find hand strain to be less of an issue though.

What i take issue with here is the idea you're communicating that this is something reviewers do, like it's common thing.

supernova8

Banned
Go watch or read a review for almost any game on the Wii U. The reviewer or people in the comments will remark on how people should ditch the gamepad in favor of playing the game with a classic controller.

Enter, the Switch:

People love that it's completely portable and most people (based on reviews/comments) prefer to play in handheld mode. I won't even get into the drift issue.

Does anyone else see the irony? Maybe people are buying pro controller shaped joy cons? I don't even know if such a thing exists.

I guess my point is that in hindsight, it's pretty obvious that the Wii U was being dog piled from the get go and to know that people are being sent free games, and being paid to just shit on something, while then lauding the same thing cause it's a new console just comes off as incredibly disingenuous.

ZZXp1WZ.jpg
Probably because they saw the Wii U as a poorly marketed gimmick (which it was) as opposed to the Switch which is undisputedly genius for what it is.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
How is it ironic?

For Wii U, it was a legit question for each game whether it gains some benefit from the gamepad, or whether it was a better experience with the Pro Controller (or Wiimote + nunchuck). Of course reviewers are going to talk about that.

fart town usa

Gold Member
How is it ironic?

For Wii U, it was a legit question for each game whether it gains some benefit from the gamepad, or whether it was a better experience with the Pro Controller (or Wiimote + nunchuck). Of course reviewers are going to talk about that.
Playing the Switch in handheld mode is identical to playing a game on the Wii U gamepad, whether it's on the TV or being displayed on the gamepad itself. You're essentially holding the same piece of equipment. Going off the logic for some reviewers, if the gamepad wasn't a good way to play Wii U games, then the Switch should only be played in docked mode with a pro controller. I rarely hear that. I often hear what a joy it is to play the Switch in handheld mode.

I'm not talking about the Wii U's limited range or the Switch's unlimited portability. I'm talking about sitting in your living room and playing the game. The irony is that the Wii U gamepad was often treated as some massive hinderance whereas the Switch is lauded as being genius.

The Switch is genius, I'm not trying to rag on it. I'm trying to call out the inconsistencies with certain reviews and how it doesn't add up. That's where the hypocrisy/irony stems from.

What WeedU are you smoking?

Both Wii U and Switch are shitty hardware. The difference between someone recommending you to play switch over the Wii U’s “portable” controller is the fact its actually portable. That being said, Switch is one of the most uncomfortable portables ever made.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Playing the Switch in handheld mode is identical to playing a game on the Wii U gamepad, whether it's on the TV or being displayed on the gamepad itself. You're essentially holding the same piece of equipment. Going off the logic for some reviewers, if the gamepad wasn't a good way to play Wii U games, then the Switch should only be played in docked mode with a pro controller. I rarely hear that. I often hear what a joy it is to play the Switch in handheld mode.

I'm not talking about the Wii U's limited range or the Switch's unlimited portability. I'm talking about sitting in your living room and playing the game. The irony is that the Wii U gamepad was often treated as some massive hinderance whereas the Switch is lauded as being genius.

The Switch is genius, I'm not trying to rag on it. I'm trying to call out the inconsistencies with certain reviews and how it doesn't add up. That's where the hypocrisy/irony stems from.
That’s not irony or hypocrisy. What do you want reviewers to say? “It’s more comfortable to play with the pro controller, but if you want to play it in handheld mode you need to use the Joycons”? In every game review? Why would they even comment on that?

For each and every Wii U game there was the question of what, if anything, the gamepad added to the experience. And the question of which controller option was ideal.

For switch, those questions mostly do not vary on a game-by-game basis and there is no reason for a reviewer to comment on it.

there is no hypocrisy here. Honestly sounds like you are still trying to cope with the wounds of the Wii U era.

Dream-Knife

Banned
With the Wii U I borrowed for Xenoblade X half the battle was keeping the console connected to the tablet. It would lose connection from like 5 feet. Trash hardware; thankfully the Switch doesn't have that issue.

fart town usa

Gold Member
That’s not irony or hypocrisy. What do you want reviewers to say? “It’s more comfortable to play with the pro controller, but if you want to play it in handheld mode you need to use the Joycons”? In every game review? Why would they even comment on that?

For each and every Wii U game there was the question of what, if anything, the gamepad added to the experience. And the question of which controller option was ideal.

For switch, those questions mostly do not vary on a game-by-game basis and there is no reason for a reviewer to comment on it.

there is no hypocrisy here. Honestly sounds like you are still trying to cope with the wounds of the Wii U era.
I'm not talking about what extra features that might have been added to the gamepad. I'm talking about just simply holding the gamepad and playing a game with it and how some people felt like it was substandard, but for the Switch it's completely fine. It's literally the same thing to play with the Wii U gamepad or play the Switch in handheld mode.

It is hypocritical.

I've already said it but this thread wasn't meant to be some serious dive into a rage fest over the Wii U and the Switch. It was just something I noticed cause I've been collecting Wii U games the last 6 months and saw lots of comments in reviews and from people on YouTube acting like the gamepad was some massive hinderance to playing games. It's 2021, it's an inconsequential thread that I nerdishly made because NeoGaf is a videogame forum and figured I'd just toss is out there to see if anyone else noticed it.

fart town usa

Gold Member
What WeedU are you smoking?

Both Wii U and Switch are shitty hardware. The difference between someone recommending you to play switch over the Wii U’s “portable” controller is the fact its actually portable. That being said, Switch is one of the most uncomfortable portables ever made.
I'm referring to the size, ergonomics, and button layout of the Wii U gamepad compared to the Switch in handheld mode. I'm not commenting on extra features that the Wii U had, or the limited range/portability, etc. Just simply holding the gamepad and using it to play a game is what I'm talking about.

Some reviewers act like the Wii U gamepad was the most nonsensical thing ever created but these same people think the Switch is a fantastic for hand held mode. It's essentially the same thing.

One was trashed and the other is lauded.

Never noticed the WiiU Gamepad was disliked so much, generally find it pretty comfortable myself with battery life being the only nuisance to me.

I'm referring to the size, ergonomics, and button layout of the Wii U gamepad compared to the Switch in handheld mode. I'm not commenting on extra features that the Wii U had, or the limited range/portability, etc. Just simply holding the gamepad and using it to play a game is what I'm talking about.

Some reviewers act like the Wii U gamepad was the most nonsensical thing ever created but these same people think the Switch is a fantastic for hand held mode. It's essentially the same thing.

One was trashed and the other is lauded.
WiiU’s gamepad couldnt be used after away from the console, used a 480p screen, hardly held a charge. If the switch couldnt be used away from the couch why would anyone pick 720p from 1080p? Let alone 480p from 1080p.

jigglet

Banned
A generation on and there's still a persecution complex. It's time to face up to the fact that it was simply a shit console.

cireza

Banned
Well... why don't you actually play on a Wii U ?
That's what I have been doing since the console launched. Better system than the Switch in every single aspect.

Wii U Gamepad offers great ergonomics, unlike these shit joycons were it seems pretty obvious the people who designed them have retractable thumbs. And Wii U joystick don't drift.

Last edited:

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
It's not about quality, it's about convenience. People eat up the switch because it doesn't require too effort to play it anywhere. Wii u didn't offered the same convenience, so only it's problems where bought up.

Switch is like junk food. Everyone knows any other kind of food is better, but since it's convenient, tons of people just eat up. They won't admit that's the reason, though.

Marvel14

Banned

Enter, the Switch:

ZZXp1WZ.jpg

Wii Gamepad is not "the same thing " as Switch handheld mode.

Can we close this thread and label it "fake news" please?

jakinov

I don't see the irony. The Switch is a better untethered version of the Wii U that's better in many ways. It was also able to acomplish way more in terms of games and features than the Wii U had. This reminds me of when the iPad was such a big deal and people would go on about how Microsoft and other companies have shitty versions of tablets too. Nobody cares if you do something first if you do it poorly. People care about the first thing that does it first well. That's why the iPhone is credited for revolutionizing phones not all those other touch-screen devices with apps that existed before it.

I'm not talking about what extra features that might have been added to the gamepad. I'm talking about just simply holding the gamepad and playing a game with it and how some people felt like it was substandard, but for the Switch it's completely fine. It's literally the same thing to play with the Wii U gamepad or play the Switch in handheld mode.

It is hypocritical.

I've already said it but this thread wasn't meant to be some serious dive into a rage fest over the Wii U and the Switch. It was just something I noticed cause I've been collecting Wii U games the last 6 months and saw lots of comments in reviews and from people on YouTube acting like the gamepad was some massive hinderance to playing games. It's 2021, it's an inconsequential thread that I nerdishly made because NeoGaf is a videogame forum and figured I'd just toss is out there to see if anyone else noticed it.
I'm confused at the point of this thread. You want to know why people chose the handheld Switch vs the Wii U tablet controller. But the reason people chose Switch is because it is in itself a portable console not just because it can be played handheld away from the TV. The Wii U even in handheld mode is still tied to a TV you are stuck within a set range. The Switch is not, you can go anywhere. The Switch may not be more comfortable to play but that is most definitely not the reason people are preferring it over the Wii U. Then to add to that you did mention that most people would recommend using a Pro controller when playing the Wii U. As you can see in this thread most people do not like the Wii U tablet. Either it's too big, too heavy, or most people can't stand the look of it. The switch isn't exactly better in any of those categories except for maybe looks arguably, but if you are wondering why people prefer the Switch to Wii U and only talking about the Tablet vs Handheld Switch I believe you got your answer right here in this thread. Not many people liked the tablet. To add one more thing the tablet controller for a lot of games served an entirely different purpose to the Switch's handheld mode. The tablet was designed to be a second screen not a main one.

I'm confused at the point of this thread. You want to know why people chose the handheld Switch vs the Wii U tablet controller. But the reason people chose Switch is because it is in itself a portable console not just because it can be played handheld away from the TV. The Wii U even in handheld mode is still tied to a TV you are stuck within a set range. The Switch is not, you can go anywhere. The Switch may not be more comfortable to play but that is most definitely not the reason people are preferring it over the Wii U. Then to add to that you did mention that most people would recommend using a Pro controller when playing the Wii U. As you can see in this thread most people do not like the Wii U tablet. Either it's too big, too heavy, or most people can't stand the look of it. The switch isn't exactly better in any of those categories except for maybe looks arguably, but if you are wondering why people prefer the Switch to Wii U and only talking about the Tablet vs Handheld Switch I believe you got your answer right here in this thread. Not many people liked the tablet. To add one more thing the tablet controller for a lot of games served an entirely different purpose to the Switch's handheld mode. The tablet was designed to be a second screen not a main one.
Switch is like 25% less weight iirc.

Tams

The Wii U was great. Not perfect by a long shot, but great.

First, Nintendo marketed it terribly. I remember EU and them showing it off, but they focused on the tablet controller. There was so much confusion and the actual console was locked inside a glass cabinet. I only remember one journalist actually bothering to ask whether it was the console.

Second, yes it was quite cheaply made. Not that the other consoles at the time were that much better.

Third, it was just that bit too underpowered and the hardware a little too exotic for a time when the computing industry was consolidating architectures.

I really liked the gamepad controller. It was a bit bulky, but it let you take the console away from your main screen or gave you an amazing selection of controls (when implemented properly). It felt great to hold, if a little heavy (with the larger battery - an optional upgrade!). I still don't like playing Splatoon with JoyCons or even a pro controller; no, the Wii U tablet was my jazz. And Breath of the Wild would have been much better had they kept the gamepad controls.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Despite it's weak HW, I think the Switch console is the best ever for travelers and people who have so little spare time and use public transportation and so. Hope the new 2nm will make games on the Switch look like PS4 or even PS4 Pro!

But the elephant in the room is Android and iOS, I think it's a matter for time the Switch will be irrelevant.

Last edited:
Switch is like 25% less weight iirc.
Yeah, Wii U tablet is 1.08125 lbs. Where as the Switch with Joy-cons attached is .88 lbs. So there's another reason to Switch over the Wii U tablet. But my point still stands. Why try to make a comparison on why someone would choose an entirely portable console with similar controller options when playing on a TV, to a strictly TV bound console.
Ergonomics, Maybe Wii U tablet, it had a better form factor to grip and gave you better placement for your hands while playing as opposed to the Switch that is mostly like holding a board.
Comfort, to add to the point above the Wii U tablet is better suited to hold in your hands. It had the benefit of not being a portable console that had to be small enough to fit in a bag.
Design, The Wii U tablet is bulky and kind of ugly. The thing at a glance looks like a toy. The switch has a much sleeker and more refined design makes it look more like a premium product that an adult may use. Colored Joy-cons aside.
Other things to note is the Wii U tablet had a lower resolution screen with an 854 x 480 display that had content streamed to it which would lower the quality further. The Switch's screen is 1280 x 720 and is played directly on the console albeit a lot of games that come out don't fully utilize this resolution.

kevm3

The wii u was a fantastic console. The virtual console alone wins huge points. You can actually OWN games and you can get games on systems like the DS. That subscription VC is terrible in comparison.

Top Bottom