• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Something strange happened to me this morning and I am realled skeeved out about it.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
So I was sleeping on my couch this morning sleeping off one too many IPAs, and it was about 9:30 am. And three armed police officers (one with his gun out) are in my house waking me up.

They make me get up, and tell me to uncover myself so that they can see that I don’t have any weapons.

They tell me a “neighbor” called them and told them I may be a danger to myself and that they were worried about me. Apparently they had been knocking on my door and I wasn’t answering (I sleep like the dead, takes a loud alarm to wake me).

They broke in through my garage, and the door handle for it was knocked off the door cause I guess they wedged it open somehow.

After being like “it’s legal to drink in your own home”, they saw I was ok and was a little hung over and were off.

I’m not some hikikomori, I work 50 some hours a week and am socially active on the weekends usually.

This really scares me tho. I’ve been getting weird phone calls recently, and tho I don’t see my neighbors often, I say hi when I do. I don’t think any of them would call the cops worried about me.

lachesis

Well, glad that nothing horrible happened and just simple misunderstanding. I've heard one too many times of misfortune in such cases - either a cop shot or innocent person shot or whatnot.

What kind of weird phone calls though? Is it the robo call or selling you time share or whatnot? (I get those all the time... :() Perhaps someone is actually watching you, or perhaps it's something you said on SNS while drinking?

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Well, glad that nothing horrible happened and just simple misunderstanding. I've heard one too many times of misfortune in such cases - either a cop shot or innocent person shot or whatnot.

What kind of weird phone calls though? Is it the robo call or selling you time share or whatnot? (I get those all the time... :() Perhaps someone is actually watching you, or perhaps it's something you said on SNS while drinking?

Mostly robo calls, but two lately had someone yelling at me “who is this” but it sounded like the line was connected to another person listening in as well. Could heat two voices.

I’m far from being suicidal or depressed. I also don’t own any guns or weapons so that is one worry I don’t have. No strange texts I’ve sent too ;p I’m not that kind of drunk :p

Cops also had my phone number, I had a missed call from them with a message. Is that normal? My only phone is a cell phone.

akuda

What did you do that your neighbors would've called the police/the police would've been at your door..?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

There’s more going on here that you’re either not telling us or you are imagining everything

It’s a nonsequiter to talk about the police are inside your house without a warrant or probable cause and instantly jump to robo calls

I quit a job years ago. It was a school district job. I was just a classified para, which means I basically had no rights in the district and could be treated like crap. I was literary told by HR that we don’t get due process.

When I quit I didn’t give two weeks notice, I just said “I don’t approve of how I have seen children treated here and I am disappointed with how the district has handled concerns about said treatment.”

The next day a cop knocks on my door and he’s a sheriff of the county I worked in. He was very aggressive and asked me numerous times if I was thinking of hurting myself. He claims that welfare checks are standard when an employee resigns. I find that hard to believe.

When he knocked I was in the middle of playing Madden, I was just rocking sweats, and at one point all I did was adjust my sweatpants so they didn’t completely fall down and he went ballistic. Keep in mind I’m in the comfort and privacy of my own damn home.

He asked “did you quit your job because you are unhappy” and I said “yes I was very unhappy working there” and he filed a report saying I was mentally unstable. I had to talk to this behaviorist or social worker person (can’t remember her exact title) and explain that this was the districts way of setting me up to be discredited if I ever decided to do something about some of the terrible things I complained about (for example, I saw a severe needs SPED student manhandled needlessly to the point of injury on more than one occasion. I went to admin each time and was told “it’s not your job to micromanage other staff. Corrupt ass motherfuckers).

Anyway. I feel you on this one. It shouldn’t be a scary when a cop knocks on your door, but it is.

For those wondering how they get away with this, we get about 1000 bucks a month, prorated for a 12 month pay schedule despite only working for around 8.5 of those months. I’ve spoken to three other people from the same district who had the same job and the same thing happened to them.

Ain’t nobody hiring a lawyer on that salary

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Banned
If a cop busts in my house w/out a warrant or me letting them in, they will likely get shot or attacked by my dog.
Seriously its the perfect plan for a criminal. Dress as a cop and preform a "welfare check" on a house you want to rob. No one answers just break in.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
What did you do that your neighbors would've called the police/the police would've been at your door..?

Absolutely nothing. It was a "welfare check".

There’s more going on here that you’re either not telling us or you are imagining everything

It’s a nonsequiter to talk about the police are inside your house without a warrant or probable cause and instantly jump to robo calls

I don't know what else could be going on. Maybe the calls are unrelated. It still is weird as hell that the cops would feel that they could come into my home while I was sleeping just to check on me. It's my home that I own, i live in a nice neighborhood. I know it sounds weird.

This is the only *proof* i have, but here is the transcript of the voice mail the officer left me

Last edited:

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Absolutely nothing. It was a "welfare check".

I don't know what else could be going on. Maybe the calls are unrelated. It still is weird as hell that the cops would feel that they could come into my home while I was sleeping just to check on me. It's my home that I own, i live in a nice neighborhood. I know it sounds weird.

This is the only *proof* i have, but here is the transcript of the voice mail the officer left me

do you have a nosy neighbor or a stalker or something? people don't get the police called on them normally.

police dont go into your house without having a report or something. there has to be a reason.

police dont go into your house without having a report or something. there has to be a reason.

Police don’t have to tell you who called in the welfare check. They say it’s protected as per fear of retaliation. They assume positive intent and that the caller was a Good Samaritan.

Movies and TV don’t tell us the full truth. There are plenty of ways officers can skirt an official warrant

See my story a few posts up

Anyone could have called and said they think this guy is suicidal or something like that.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
On one hand its reassuring incase something did happen to you the police are able to get in and can check you're ok.
On the other hand its pretty disturbing the cops will break into house just because someone calls them.
I would recommend better security and the cops should pay for the break in costs.

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Exactly. There is more to this story.

I don’t know what else there could be though. I don’t do drugs or do anything illegal in my home. They left after seeing I was OK. They wouldn’t tell me who called them.

I have brewery equipment in my garage, cause that’s where I do my mash and boils. They didn’t even ask about it.

Last edited:

Catphish

Well, if nothing else, I get to add 'skeeved out' to my vocabulary now, so the incident is not without its bright side. 👍

Last edited:

Corrik

A lot of those calls you were not answering were probably from cops trying to get a hold of you. You were not responding so they went to check on you.

llien

Just another anecdote, although not experienced by myself.
From time to time we'd talk about terrorism and stuff and how there are plenty of surveillance videocameras in UK, covering most public places and why not have that in Germany, given the threats.
Most colleagues would object, one fiercely. (he's a Green Party voter, if that matters)
When asked why, he told about what happened to his brother, who shared a car with a student that police appeared to be after.
They broke into brother's appartment, breaking the door, injured him lightly, seized his PC, with his Diploma work.
He wasn't charged with anything, let alone convicted.
He had to pay for repairing the door himself.
He couldn't get his PC back for nearly a year.
University didn't care exactly why he couldn't submit his work in time.

I was pretty shocked to hear that, but it appears that all that was quite in line with German (and likely not only German) laws.

hikikomori
TIL hikkomori

augmental

Did you get drunk and yell at your neighbors or say weird stuff to them? Maybe you don't remember? It's...umm...happened before...cough cough, to someone I know.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Need one of these.
ED209-Robocop-h1.jpg

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Did you get drunk and yell at your neighbors or say weird stuff to them? Maybe you don't remember? It's...umm...happened before...cough cough, to someone I know.

Hahaha, no, I spent the last part of the evening watching YouTube music video covers after coming back home from my Friday D&D session at like midnight, drank like 2 Pliny the Elder clones and a Tropicalia, brushed my teeth, curled up on the couch with a blanket and went to sleep listening to Nier Automata and Hamilton covers :p

My main concern is that they felt the need to break in. I called the PD about it to complain but they just kind of brushed me off.

I wouldn’t think a person not answering the door early in the morning on a Saturday would give them probable cause to come into the house. They could have came back later in the day first.

It is a small town police department, ~15,000 people. I’m just glad they didn’t fuck with my brewing equipment (and am glad I haven’t bought the pot still I have been thinking about getting for craft distilling)

Maybe a neighbor thought this was something else and they lied.

Last edited:

Droxcy

Maybe they thought you were cooking something weird? Have they spied on your garage when you've had it open? I find it weird your neighbors would call the police, to check to see if you're alright in your own house...I would politely tell them next time you leave me the F$#@ alone and worry about themselves. You never know what could've happened in that situation now a days, cops might've busted in there scared you shitless made you have some weird reaction then bam. Glad you're okay seriously.

Last edited:

augmental

Ya man glad you are alright. That is messed up. I have had the cops come to my door but never try to break in or anything.

Alx

From what you told, it's actually nice from the neighbor to worry about you. I don't see an issue with the police entering your house after they tried to call you from the outside, you may have been dead/dying and how else could they make sure that you weren't ?
(having the gun out may have been unnecessary though, but it's not clear what the neighbor meant with "be a danger to oneself")

Last edited:

lil puff

Bizarre Story.
It's crazy to think that a random person can call 911 and have the cops come busting thru your door. However, I agree that they have to respond as if it's serious regardless. I don't think I'd want them to ignore it, as inconvenienced it may have been.

I live alone and sometimes I wonder if I somehow passed out in my home and no one would ever know. I should get one of those Life Alert buttons lol

Mr. Grumpy

Grumpy see, Grumpy do.
It's reassuring that they were so concerned that you could be a danger to yourself that they thought it was a good idea to barge in with a gun in hand. I suppose that shooting you in the face would have actually stopped you hurting yourself.

If a cop busts in my house w/out a warrant or me letting them in, they will likely get shot or attacked by my dog.
Seriously its the perfect plan for a criminal. Dress as a cop and preform a "welfare check" on a house you want to rob. No one answers just break in.

This is always a concern of mine. My dog wouldn't necessarily attack, but she's big and gets overexcited with visitors. If I were to ever get SWATed or have the police break in there's no doubt in my mind they'd shoot her.

TrainedRage

Banned
This is always a concern of mine. My dog wouldn't necessarily attack, but she's big and gets overexcited with visitors. If I were to ever get SWATed or have the police break in there's no doubt in my mind they'd shoot her.
Yeah. I hear that. I love my dog more than most people in my life so I would be enraged if that happened. It would be hard not to overreact. I would sue the pants off the police.

lachesis

Yeah.. looks like the brewing machine, perhaps someone thought it was some sort of crystal meth cooking machine or whatnot.
Perhaps you might want to brew some extra and give away to your immediate neighbors as gift or something to clear up the air. :)

Top Bottom