• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sometimes, I get an urge to play some god damn Guitar Hero or music games, but I don't wanna play the bullshit of today

Bragr

Banned
I don't want to plug in a real guitar or a whole band of bullshit like they do with modern rhythm games, or the "re-invention" they did with Guitar Hero Live with the ultra corny live presentation and that new guitar. I want that simple dumb button shit they did early on.

Those 5 buttons with different colors designed for kids, fuck-ups, and dumb adults.

Sure, those plastic guitars take up too much space. And sure, they ended up spam-releasing too many Guitar Hero games and crashed the franchise.

But man, Guitar Hero 1, 2 & 3 was glorious. I remember being so addicted to this shit, I got rid of all of those fucking guitars ages ago, but I would bite on another iteration if they can convince me they are gonna stick to what works and stop relying on the same few rock songs they always use in these games.

51YRNWGYFYL._AC_.jpg

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
I'd buy a decent Guitar Hero / Rock Band re-release at this point, no questions asked. They just need to make one a platform, and stop. We don't need 17 different versions every year. Buy it once. Everything else is DLC. Sell replacement parts when needed.

It reminds me that logging into YouTube outside my account got me scared for life, you have these young kids who use autotune to make what seems like music... They get like a billion views in a year 🤮

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Why not replay the old ones? I still have a pair of DDR mats (PS2) folded under the TV and ready to use, and I play on a regular basis. Music games are legit.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
It was really fun - but also abhorrently loud (I mean the extremely loud clicking noises of the guitars).
Impossible to play this if you are not alone at home - or play together.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
Why not replay the old ones? I still have a pair of DDR mats (PS2) folded under the TV and ready to use, and I play on a regular basis. Music games are legit.
Because I got rid of the stuff I had many years ago, and trying to buy it now is stupidly expensive, mainly.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Because I got rid of the stuff I had many years ago, and trying to buy it now is stupidly expensive, mainly.
It used to be bargain-bin material that stores couldn't pay you to take away. Maybe try thrift shops or used shops? sucks that it's becoming more expensive.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I hate that all of the stuff I bought is locked on a single platform. I usually buy both, for the last 7ish years, mostly playing games on Playstation. My Guitar Hero songs are on XBOX. I need to wait until I get a Series X before playing again on my gaming set up. Traded in PS4 Pro and XBOX One X recently for trade credit towards a Series X. Have just about enough TC for just the system w/o those damn bundles.

ksdixon

I hate that all of the stuff I bought is locked on a single platform. I usually buy both, for the last 7ish years, mostly playing games on Playstation. My Guitar Hero songs are on XBOX. I need to wait until I get a Series X before playing again on my gaming set up. Traded in PS4 Pro and XBOX One X recently for trade credit towards a Series X. Have just about enough TC for just the system w/o those damn bundles.
I don't think it's backwards compatible, bro. You might be digging up a 360 and a 360 guitar from somewhere in the future.

Darklor01

I thought you were talking about Guitar hero.

You're right. I'm over-tired. I did only mention Guitar Hero, and somehow I conflated the topic to include Rock Band without even mentioning it. I'm sorry about that.

SirTerry-T

RB3 and a multitude of GH games is one reason I just can't being myself to retire my Xbox 360 to The Retirement Home For Tired Old Consoles...a.k.a The Loft.
Those drums though....a real set would be less painful in the ears.

Last edited:

Dibils2k

I don't want to plug in a real guitar or a whole band of bullshit like they do with modern rhythm games, or the "re-invention" they did with Guitar Hero Live with the ultra corny live presentation and that new guitar. I want that simple dumb button shit they did early on.

Those 5 buttons with different colors designed for kids, fuck-ups, and dumb adults.

Sure, those plastic guitars take up too much space. And sure, they ended up spam-releasing too many Guitar Hero games and crashed the franchise.

But man, Guitar Hero 1, 2 & 3 was glorious. I remember being so addicted to this shit, I got rid of all of those fucking guitars ages ago, but I would bite on another iteration if they can convince me they are gonna stick to what works and stop relying on the same few rock songs they always use in these games.

51YRNWGYFYL._AC_.jpg
If you've got a PC at home, with an extra Xbox360 Guitar kicking around (USB or Wireless; if Wireless you need the Xbox360 dongle) you can play the Open Source creation of guitar hero. It takes ALL of the best feautres from every guitar hero and rockband game, and combines it into one!

You can download the actual game, clone hero right here: https://clonehero.net/

Clone hero by default comes with no songs, but has an awesome community who has recreated songs from ALL games; Guitar hero 1,2,3, Warriors of rock, Rock Band, not to mention an endless list of custom songs! You can find setlists in other places, but ill leave the link i've used below. If you have any issues importing songs, just let me know!

You can find setlists for clone hero here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13B823ukxdVMocowo1s5XnT3tzciOfruhUVePENKc01o/edit#gid=0

I'd buy a decent Guitar Hero / Rock Band re-release at this point, no questions asked. They just need to make one a platform, and stop. We don't need 17 different versions every year. Buy it once. Everything else is DLC. Sell replacement parts when needed.
That would be a reasonable business move, with low risk and a consumer friendly outcome... so not gonna happen.

Darklor01

i mean this guy is mental though lol there is like zero improvement on Series X compared to One X. same resolution and frames

faster loading but thats a given

Yeah, I wouldn't expect it to be something epic simply because it's on the Series X over anything else. Some people are just so happy with a new piece of hardware, they see things just just aren't there. Mainly, I just want to play the songs I paid for now and then. It's bad enough I can't load it up one both platforms and have the same content.

Bridges

It sounds like you just want to get Rock Band 4 and a guitar controller (if you can find it), they just stuck to the original formula, and any old songs you have carry over.

I can also attest the game loads much faster with Xbox Series X

AllyITA

It sounds like you just want to get Rock Band 4 and a guitar controller (if you can find it), they just stuck to the original formula, and any old songs you have carry over.

I can also attest the game loads much faster with Xbox Series X
do controllers designed for x360 work with xboxone/series?
maybe the wired ones?

Fox Mulder

It flamed out fast as a genre. That was Activision’s motto back then.

I enjoyed it and it got me into some bands I never heard before. It’s a shame there’s no place for it today, I have no interest in learning how to play a real guitar and just liked having fun.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I just play Rock Band 4 on the OneX or the Series X when I feel the need to play. Still have all my plastic drums and gutars....to my wife's chagrin.

Forsythia

I like Rock Band 4 and want more instruments, but not for those horrible prices. Aren't they manufactured anymore?

Vae_Victis

Banned
Is Frets on Fire still a thing? It was basically open souce-ish Guitar Hero for PC, with a retarded amount of songs imported by users you could find online. If you don't hate the idea of playing with a keyboard (it's just the usual 5 dumb colored notes, so set put 5 consequent numbers or letters and tap with Enter or Spacebar or something) you should give it a look.

Deft Beck

Is Frets on Fire still a thing? It was basically open souce-ish Guitar Hero for PC, with a retarded amount of songs imported by users you could find online. If you don't hate the idea of playing with a keyboard (it's just the usual 5 dumb colored notes, so set put 5 consequent numbers or letters and tap with Enter or Spacebar or something) you should give it a look.
Nowadays people play Clone Hero.

Top Bottom