• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Adventure 2 coming to XBLA and PSN (and probably Steam)

GooeyHeat

Assuming the price is $10... is superior Chao garden + inferior level design + Angsthog + Titbat worth that?

Tough call... superior Chao garden...

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Vita version please for portable Dreamcast wet dream finally come to 2012 fruition.

I'm pissed they didn't give Adventure 1 this treatment. SA2 was a step down in every way barring visuals.
I will say the Sonic/Shadow racing multiplayer was high point. Too bad they won't bring this online.

An absolutely terrible game, worse than Sonic Adventure, glitchy, absolutely puerile voice acting and writing, GLITCHY, difficult to control, nonsense shooting levels, abhorrent emerald quests, obnoxious music, massive focus on the homing attack to make up for fundamental control and design deficiencies, BOOST BOOST BOOST, utterly stupid intrusive and continuous soundbites and cut scenes, GLITCHY and BATS WITH TITS. Its better than Shadow/2006 but that's not exactly any form of compliment.

The game hasn't aged badly because it was shit on day one. It will sell, but to people who may wish they had not chose to relive their childhood.

That Sega devote resources into re-releasing this terrible game over some of their transcendent Saturn back catalogue is a sore point, it will probably sell though.
Totally and utterly agreed. I am curious what your thoughts are on the first SA.

Kokonoe

Banned
i9rWsnpCvw7is.png

iF5a6pBbn6ivc.png

iNC0WpBBAqZ9T.jpg

i7gewtWHplf8b.jpg

iYp4Dk6HeH6HJ.jpg

http://i.minus.com/idHDiwH5TESd0.jpg
http://i.minus.com/ibnwcJdJdGvOoP.jpg
http://i.minus.com/imfXnRFeDN7MQ.jpg
http://i.minus.com/iN7NBZppBIwiz.jpg
http://i.minus.com/ibpB2XWPunH487.jpg
http://i.minus.com/idu6gdDsq85K3.jpg
http://i.minus.com/ibqdosYni7mYpD.jpg

Suairyu

Banned
An absolutely terrible game, worse than Sonic Adventure, glitchy, absolutely puerile voice acting and writing, GLITCHY, difficult to control, nonsense shooting levels, abhorrent emerald quests, obnoxious music, massive focus on the homing attack to make up for fundamental control and design deficiencies, BOOST BOOST BOOST, utterly stupid intrusive and continuous soundbites and cut scenes, GLITCHY and BATS WITH TITS. Its better than Shadow/2006 but that's not exactly any form of compliment.

The game hasn't aged badly because it was shit on day one. It will sell, but to people who may wish they had not chose to relive their childhood.

That Sega devote resources into re-releasing this terrible game over some of their transcendent Saturn back catalogue is a sore point, it will probably sell though.
I am in complete agreement with this post.

(City Escape was pretty fun though)

Could never get past one of the Cream (ehh...) levels because the arrow was broken and it made it impossible to find the last item in time.

Buying it anyway

Roto13

Sonic Adventure 1 is shit, but Sonic Adventure 2 is actually pretty good. Definitely a lot more polished. The best 3D Sonic game of that generation by a mile. Though that's not really saying a lot, I guess. :p

I'd buy this one.

I like the cut of your jib

goldenpp72

How anyone can claim SA1 holds up better today is beyond me, SA1 had a much more horrific camera as well as way more horrible characters to play as, SA2 had issues but it was an infinitely more polished game, especially at advanced levels.

Game Guru

I hope there will be a Dreamcast Collection Vol. 2. I traded in Sonic Adventure DX when I got the Dreamcast Collection and Crazy Taxi was more fun than I expected.

Always the Genesis and Dreamcast games that get ported. Even the Master System gets some time in the limelight. The Saturn is forever alone.

goldenpp72

I hope there will be a Dreamcast Collection Vol. 2. I traded in Sonic Adventure DX when I got the Dreamcast Collection and Crazy Taxi was more fun than I expected.

Always the Genesis and Dreamcast games that get ported. Even the Master System gets some time in the limelight. The Saturn is forever alone.

Always the dreamcast? Isn't this the first time the games have ever really been ported systematically? The genesis has been done to death though, saturn I imagine is just because of how badly it flopped and they assume no one cares, the DC had a good bit of limelight for at least some time.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
While I still have my Gamecube copy, I will probably buy this, especially if there's a Steam version. Hoping the porting is good, though I'm also wondering what kind of DLC there is since they mention that. If this is the Battle version I don't really know what all they could add... Full Big the Cat cameos and Big as playable character in the shooting mode of SA2 multiplayer? (Big was originally playable in the Dreamcast SA2, but was replaced by Dark Chao in Battle. Big also had a lot more stage cameos in the original Dreamcast version compared to the Battle version.)

Dusk Golem

I wonder if the original Nights: Into Dreams will ever be available for XBLA/PSN?

There's a game I'd buy.

It's possible considering they released the game with some added features in Japan on the PS2, so they have a portable version of the code.

If they ever release NiGHTS or Burning Rangers on downloadable services, I will literally gobble that shit up and buy three copies each. I'm not even kidding, I'll gift the copies to friends.

IrishNinja

so bought, prolly on steam unless there's a good PSN sale. i know 1 didn't age well but ive higher hopes for 2.

did anyone else used to love playing the multiplayer game with knuckles? i had a friend that'd do the hot/cold chaos emerald search with me for hours.

Page gone = canceled!

That was a fast removal. Would be a perfect summer release. Hope to hear official announcement soon.

Yeah I figured it was just removed, glad to see the scans below. If this works on Vita I'll be super happy. The original is only on PS3, not Vita right? :\ Sigh.

Anth0ny

This thread is about Adventure 2, not Sonic Colors

V_Arnold

Opinions. The best 3d Sonic for me, personally. Put 200+ hours into it on Dreamcast. Loved it then, still love it - day friggin' one. (Yep, Robotnik/Tails are indeed horrible. But that is easily overShadowed by the fact that Shadow/Sonic levels are simply amazing and lend themselves well for score runs.)

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
How anyone can claim SA1 holds up better today is beyond me, SA1 had a much more horrific camera as well as way more horrible characters to play as, SA2 had issues but it was an infinitely more polished game, especially at advanced levels.

With SA2 you get 1/3rd of a game even approaching expectations of a 3d Sonic. Yes, those Sonic and Shadow levels are "good" to "ehhhhh", but then you have clunky mech shitto mode and awful giant needle in a haystack treasure hunting levels from the rest of the games 4 characters.

In SA1, Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Amy all control around about the similar "speedy little rodent" level, with Sonic and Tails levels being pretty much the same and Knuckles and Amy levels having their own twist. The only "what is this shit" bone that can be thrown at characters is Big's fishing, and E102's dumb shootertron levels. But at least he turns into a little skating thing when moving faster than CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK, I'M TAILS, I CAN FLY BUT I'VE SAT MY ASS DOWN IN THIS SEVERAL TON MECH FOR SOME REASON.

Never mind of course that with SA1 you can play it just as a Sonic game from the start, all the way through, just as Sonic. If you want LAST STORY balls, you have to finish the others, but SA1 would mark the last time you could just play as Sonic and see some end credits in a mainline title until like fucking Sonic and the Secret Rings.

Dusk Golem

so bought, prolly on steam unless there's a good PSN sale. i know 1 didn't age well but ive higher hopes for 2.

did anyone else used to love playing the multiplayer game with knuckles? i had a friend that'd do the hot/cold chaos emerald search with me for hours.

As some others mentioned, the multiplayer in Sonic Adventure 2 was pretty fantastic. I used to play it with people all the time and had a blast with it. It's a shame the multiplayer aspects of the game don't seem to be getting an online component to them.

But yes, I found treasure hunting was more enjoyable in the multiplayer than single player. That being said, I'm one of the few that weren't too bothered by treasure hunting. It wasn't exactly the pinnacle of the game or anything, but I didn't think it was that bad either. I actually preferred them to the shooting stages in most cases at least.

Pie and Beans

That being said, I'm one of the few that weren't too bothered by treasure hunting. It wasn't exactly the pinnacle of the game or anything, but I didn't think it was that bad either. I actually preferred them to the shooting stages in most cases at least.

I think I'd prefer electro shock to water-boarding too when I think about it.

Chunky

This thread is about Adventure 2, not Sonic Colors
I can't even comprehend how someone could enjoy Adventure1/2 over Colours. Someone must to be forcing you to type this, out of some sick perversion. It's not even a differing opinions thing, you have a bad opinion and you shouldn't be allowed to have it. If enough people think like you, Sega might actually go vack to the Adventure style *shudders*

Thank god Sega has actually come up with a great 3d Sonic engine, rather than those awful *things* Sonic got shoehorned into.

brumx

I only liked Shadows levels but thats cause of the music. I dont think it will look as good as DC ver but it should be okay I guess.

Gameboy415

Very nice.
While I agree the shooting & emerald hunting stages were a bit annoying, Sonic and Shadow's stages were great!
I hope it still has the multi-player modes too - my friends and I had a blast with it in SA2: Battle on Gamecube back in college! :D

On a semi-related note, anyone know why Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles haven't been released as stand-alone titles (with trophies for each title) on PSN?
I know they're on the Ultimate Genesis Collection (and XBLA), but I find it odd that SEGA would release Sonic 1, 2, & CD individually on PSN but not Sonic 3 and S&K.

Dusk Golem

I think I'd prefer electro shock to water-boarding too when I think about it.

That actually made me laugh, but from my memory I usually didn't like the shooting stages as much since they always seemed to drag on since the mechs move slower than everyone else and I recall there being several 'cheap death' points. It's not bad really, nothing steller, but I just don't remember having a lot of fun on (most) of the stages, with a few exceptions like Cosmic Wall (Eggman's final stage).

On treasure hunting, the stages were all pretty small and you moved pretty fast. I didn't mind exploring the stages and most of the time they wouldn't last very long if you just ran around looking or used the hints to pinpoint it if you understood what the clues meant. Also I have a weird affinity for Knuckles cheesy hiphop.

Price this right, and I'm in like Flynn.

Hopefully they can get Skies of goddamn Arcadia on one of these services too, so I don't have to run my GCN or DC copies anymore!

Kokonoe

Banned
I can't even comprehend how someone could enjoy Adventure1/2 over Colours. Someone must to be forcing you to type this, out of some sick perversion. It's not even a differing opinions thing, you have a bad opinion and you shouldn't be allowed to have it. If enough people think like you, Sega might actually go vack to the Adventure style *shudders*

Thank god Sega has actually come up with a great 3d Sonic engine, rather than those awful *things* Sonic got shoehorned into.

There won't be another game like Colors as Sega doesn't use the license to whatever engine that was. Expect Sonic Generations type gameplay here on out.

Either way, Sonic Colors wasn't a very "Sonic" like game.

Game Guru

Always the dreamcast? Isn't this the first time the games have ever really been ported systematically? The genesis has been done to death though, saturn I imagine is just because of how badly it flopped and they assume no one cares, the DC had a good bit of limelight for at least some time.

There were a number of Dreamcast ports back when Sega went third-party. There was Sonic Adventure 2 Battle and Sonic Adventure DX for GameCube, Crazy Taxi was on PlayStation 2 & GameCube, Space Channel 5 Part 2 was on the PS2, and Sega Bass Fishing had been on the Wii. I'd say the only Dreamcast game getting ported now that hadn't been ported at least once before is Jet Set Radio. Even taking into account the rumors about Skies of Arcadia and Shenmue getting ported as well, Skies of Arcadia was on GameCube as well. Shenmue, like Jet Set Radio, would be new to getting ported.

Even though Genesis games have been done to death, I still buy the Genesis game collections they have put out on for GC, PS2 and 360.

Balb

Favorite game in the series. It has a lot of flaws but it has higher highs than any other Sonic game in my opinion. Will probably get it on 360 and then Steam later on.

There won't be another game like Colors as Sega doesn't use the license to whatever engine that was. Expect Sonic Generations type gameplay here on out.

Either way, Sonic Colors wasn't a very "Sonic" like game.

Didn't Colours run off of a modified version of the engine from the Wii version of Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity?

Top Bottom