• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Adventure 3 may never happen

Not

Banned
It happened, everyone just hated it.

latest

Yeah, this was SA3

They just did a Sega and thought it was good enough to relaunch their whole frickin series with

hqdefault.jpg

Humans are gross and look gross and everything about this game is gross

Give Sonic Adventure 4 to someone who knows what they're doing

Village

What the fans really need is a Shadow the hedgehog from the Yakuza devs. And they play shadow like kiryu it takes place in a city, with the same camp as any yakuza game

Fixed for I need this in my life, I need shadow singing choreographed karaoke, and instead of the normal taxi minigame its actually crazy taxi and you still collect rings so it makes complete sense, and and beating peoples faces in in that combat system.

Will0827

Sonic Heroes was 👌🏽. Had a good time with that game. An aside that game was the first multi platform game that gen where i noticed a noticeable difference between xbox, gamecube and ps2.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Can't say I'm bothered. 3D Sonic has never been as good as 2D Sonic anyway, and neither of the SA games are very good games. But at least give the Chao fans a spinoff for mobile devices, PC and consoles.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Characters with that much disparity between their gameplay mechanics demand distinct level design for each of them, which is never happening at any reasonable level of quality.
This has happened every time a new Sonic game released on consoles since Sonic Adventure 2. Every console game had distinct level designs for distinct characters (well 2006 had some repeated elements, but other than that it is true). The advantage of having these four playstyles is that they can reuse assets rather than level designs, which is where a huge part of the cost comes from. You could have two acts for each character in each setting, if you mix up the order between the characters, where they go into each scenery, which amounts to 8 levels per set of assets. With the usual ~7 zones, you end up with 56 levels, all with a good playstyle. Of course there is a lot of work involved with creating the levels from a design standpoint, but this would be true for games where mechs and emerald hunting return as well, just that those levels are tied to mediocre to shit gameplay.

Yes, why would you ever want to create a product that people want to buy? Madness. That could lead to such crazy situations as fans being employed to make a game, a recipe for disaster. The right idea is to give them exactly what they don't want, and take 4 years to do so.
Doing something just because the fans want it, without any passion or ideas for it can lead to a mess. Also I am a fan and I wanted Sonic Generations 2, which is what Forces shapes up to be. If it is a good game, I will see, but it was fun at Gamescom, so I am optimistic.

Sciz

you end up with 56 levels

Generations had two characters and managed 18 stages and a bunch of hastily-made junk. I have no idea how you think they're going to produce a worthwhile game three times that size. Yes, they already have the art assets. If it were that easy to retool them into even more stages they would already be doing that.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Generations had two characters and managed 18 stages and a bunch of hastily-made junk. I have no idea how you think they're going to produce a worthwhile game three times that size. Yes, they already have the art assets. If it were that easy to retool them into even more stages they would already be doing that.

Boost levels take a lot of time, because they are so large and need to be very fine tuned. Adventure and Mega Drive style levels are much smallere though

Berordn

Boost levels take a lot of time, because they are so large and need to be very fine tuned. Adventure and Mega Drive style levels are much smallere though

And in spite of that, Classic's "Mega Drive" style levels took up half the game and had just as much junk attached.

The real reason why Sonic Adventure 3 won't happen is because...

My game designer, Yuji Naka owns the rights to the adventure series and he no longer works at SEGA.

cordy

Banned
They gotta change the format and just put "Adventure 3" in the title for another to happen because as of right now the old format won't work. It just, no. Not at all. Sure, people will say "but it's not Adventure if they change the format" but hey whatever it takes to have a good game is the end goal.

MrBadger

My game designer, Yuji Naka owns the rights to the adventure series and he no longer works at SEGA.

Sonic Unleashed was nearly called Sonic Adventure 3 and they're constantly using stuff from the Adventure games. Even Forces has Chaos in it

Zubz

Banned

I can see this account getting some use akin to the Putin one.

That said, I don't think Naka would have the rights to the Adventure series.

Top Bottom