• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic and all stars racing transformed is out on ios

Guess Who

Banned
Honestly, you get enough rings through normal play that the microtransactions aren't a huge deal. Mostly ignorable, except that a couple of characters actually *have* to be purchased (Metal Sonic, Ralph, Knuckles, and Shadow, specifically), although apparently they will be available through regular play at some later point too. Still sucks, admittedly.

The far bigger problem is the lack of content. Hope you like Seaside Hill, Panzer Dragoon, and After Burner.

HUELEN10

Honestly, you get enough rings through normal play that the microtransactions aren't a huge deal. Mostly ignorable, except that a couple of characters actually *have* to be purchased (Metal Sonic, Ralph, Knuckles, and Shadow, specifically), although apparently they will be available through regular play at some later point too. Still sucks, admittedly.

The far bigger problem is the lack of content. Hope you like Seaside Hill, Panzer Dragoon, and After Burner.

Except, what if I want to play the same stage several times to get better at it? Guess what, I can't; I have a limit imposed for no good reason. In my opinion, it's hard to justify.

Guess Who

Banned
Except, what if I want to play the same stage several times to get better at it? Guess what, I can't; I have a limit imposed for no good reason. In my opinion, it's hard to justify.

There's no limit per se. Easy difficulty is free, higher difficulties cost rings, but unless you bomb hard you make more by finishing the race than you spend playing it.

EDIT: Hell, even that's not right, now medium is free for me and dropping back to easy costs rings? I'm not sure what exactly the microtransaction mechanics are here except that, if you're playing on the difficulty that's currently free, replaying the race doesn't cost any rings. And in any case, rings are terribly abundant.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
There's no limit per se. Easy difficulty is free, higher difficulties cost rings, but unless you bomb hard you make more by finishing the race than you spend playing it.

EDIT: Hell, even that's not right, now medium is free for me and dropping back to easy costs rings? I'm not sure what exactly the microtransaction mechanics are here except that, if you're playing on the difficulty that's currently free, replaying the race doesn't cost any rings. And in any case, rings are terribly abundant.

I'm going to skip this game. I hate all these micro transaction stuff.

So I have the choice of a non F2P version on Steam, or a F2P version that costs $5 on iOS.

Witch to choose........choices........tough one this.....

bounchfx

yikes, came in the thread ready to throw my phone at my money, looked around and saw the game that's really for sale. :(. Gotta keep ignoring games that use these methods of monetization. It's borderline anti-consumer.. reminds me of Forza 5

Guess Who

Banned
I'm going to skip this game. I hate all these micro transaction stuff.

Well, that's kind of my point though, you don't really need to spend any money on microtransactions to play the game and have fun. If you want portable ASRT and you don't have a Vita it's... serviceable.

That said, I'd recommend the Vita version, or any version but the 3DS one, over this any day.

Hanmik

from my twitter feed.

9vqw6F5.jpg

lol

How's the WiiU version?

It sucks. I played the demo off eShop for shits and giggles and cringed at how ugly and slow it was (after being spoiled by the PC version since release). I'm a big fan of this game on PC.

There's not a lot of demos on the eShop so for the bored Wii U owner I thought seeing how the game runs on consoles would be interesting.

Several things I noticed about the Wii U version:

30 FPS (PC version is 60 FPS). Very stark difference here. Felt very slow and awkward compared to smoothness of PC.

Low resolution - I'm not sure if it's even 720p. After playing the PC version @ 1080p for months this is very noticeable. I think I heard it's actually 1024x576 on the Wii U which sounds about right for how bad it looked.

No anti-aliasing at all - jaggies galore, Batman!

Washed out colours - this may be my fault for spoiling myself by using SweetFX in the PC version

Poor control - I found having to use the gamepad less precise than using the Xbox 360 controller on the PC version.

I think it's full priced on Wii U, yeah? And no DLC. PC version has lots of extra free characters as DLC and some paid DLC characters too. And it's been as cheap as $5 before.

I don't know how people play this.

Obligatory proof that I actually own a Wii U because I've noticed that Wii U fans throw a fit every time you say something negative about their system and accuse you of not even owning one:

Just posting this to clear up any arguments in advance.

Guess Who

Banned

Glorious PC Gamer
Today, 03:57 AM

Your complaints basically boil down to "it's not the PC version", which, well, no shit. It's perfectly playable at 30fps, and I strongly suspect every single console gamer on the planet is getting very tired of hearing absurd hyperbole about how their games aren't 1080p 60fps and therefore are utter trash.

So I have the choice of a non F2P version on Steam, or a F2P version that costs $5 on iOS.

Witch to choose........choices........tough one this.....

Amazon currently sells the steam keys for $5 here (75% off). Might be restricted to US though. Looking at the IAPs, I'd much rather my PC ver with gamepad support. SEGA is crazy for IAPs on iOS games lately.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Glorious PC Gamer

Your complaints basically boil down to "it's not the PC version", which, well, no shit. It's perfectly playable at 30fps, and I strongly suspect every single console gamer on the planet is getting very tired of hearing absurd hyperbole about how their games aren't 1080p 60fps and therefore are utter trash.

A racing game at 30fps stinks and is indefensible. Please don't defend it just because you're tired of PC elitism (although quite frankly I really don't see anything "elitist" in his post aside from his name).

--

Back on topic, I am rolling at those screens Huelen posted. But I really cannot blame Sega if people will actually pay money for these things...

qq more

Hardy har har. I have one myself, and it's a container with a button that makes sound (mine has a sample of double dash). They originally came filled with gummies.

oh my god, thats so awesome. i should get those

excuse my off topicness

Camjo-Z

Shameful. Yet another example of a publisher trying to turn free to play into fee to pay. The PC version doesn't run well on my computer though so I'll probably get this to be able to try out Ryo.

Cynar

Awful. It's a shame because this could've been good. Fucking publishers doing this type of monetization should go fuck themselves.

S0L

SUMO DIGITAL
I'm going to cheat here and repost a post I made over at the SEGA forums and SSMB...

1. You can get everything in the game through playing it and with in-game currency you earn through playing (with the exception of some early access to DLC content). You don't have to spend anything else unless you want too after buying the game.

2. All players should start with the VIP pack (the guys who posted that video must have copied it from another device or haven't signed into the store). That includes GP mode, Multiplayer and 4 characters right from the start...

3. You can buy an All-Star move in single player modes. But it's limited via a cooldown.

4. You can get starting items via the tumbler to give you a boost at the start of a race, but guess what, entirely optional.

5. That FaceBook login stuff allows us to do proper leaderboards for all events in a way that you can't normally. It's actually pretty cool to have a leaderboard per event and per difficulty. It is also entirely optional.

With regards to the Race/Retry cost, each area of the game has a 'Free' Difficulty. This difficulty increases as you go through the game. You can earn Rings (and Stars) by playing any event, and you can in fact can play free events over and over to build up a stock on in-game currency. If you're any good at the game (which I'd hope you would be) good chance you'll race through the easier events in the earlier chapters and build up a stock.

For any event you play, you will always get more currency back than it costs if you succeed in beating the goal.

It's quite similar to the SEGA miles in the original game basically. Or if you've played GT6, you'll have the right kind of idea.

I repeat, you never have to pay anything, everything can be accessed through play and by earning in-game currency. You can opt to shortcut this if you want to pay, but it's by no means compulsory.

BTW, you can also earn in-game currency playing online, which is entirely free.

I know how (un)popular IAP's are, but we've tried to design this around them in a fair way, before you criticise too harshly, wait till some people have played it and seen what it's like. I think you may be pleasantly surprised. For a start, there are more game events in there than the console version and some things that have been requested (such as upgradable vehicles) have made it into the mobile versions.

That's all I can say on this right now, have a little faith in us though, there has been a lot of thought gone into this to make sure it offers choice but rewards play. Some people actually like being able to pay to get everything without any effort which is why the option is there.

---
S0L
---

I'm going to cheat here and repost a post I made over at the SEGA forums and SSMB...

1. You can get everything in the game through playing it and with in-game currency you earn through playing (with the exception of some early access to DLC content). You don't have to spend anything else unless you want too after buying the game.
---
S0L
---

That's all I wanted to hear, thanks S0L. Pity that companies have to EXPLAIN such things to consumers, no?

Game bought for my iPad.

Dingotech

its not free

You miss my point completely.

I'm saying they have packed the game full of free to play mechanics and at the same time asked you to pay to buy the game...

Some people actually like being able to pay to get everything without any effort which is why the option is there.

Some people like to get the whole game when they shell out the money as well, rather than being hassled to buy stuff constantly.

NEO0MJ

This is gross.

And to the guy who said the vita version look like shit...nice troll. Couldn't be more wrong.

I have to agree with the person who said that the vita version looks like shit. Until I got it on Vita from PS+ I only played this game on my laptop displayed on my TV at 1080p, stable 60FPS, AA and all the other bells and whistles so when I played the Vita version I was shocked by how badly it ran and looked.

Why so much is locked out? This artificial wall and constant nagging to buy things is nasty. Again, $5 give you much more content on PC. You start with a base game so barebones, and the idea to grind a lot really goes against the mobile mentality.

Again, disgusting practice. You guys should have changed the initial price to $2 or $3

S0L

SUMO DIGITAL
Some people like to get the whole game when they shell out the money as well, rather than being hassled to buy stuff constantly.

Except you do have the whole game. Like many others, you have to play it to unlock content. You earn rings from beating events.

We're not constantly asking you for real money, much like credits in GT6, you earn rings through play (and can replay free events in every area to earn more if you want, though this isn't necessary, I've clocked the game without any IAP) and you spend them to unlock content. You always get a greater amount back than you have to spend if you're succeeding.

You can opt to go and buy some more Rings or Stars if you want, or you can shortcut playing through by buying characters if you prefer, but it's optional.

I know this is a sensitive area, IAP's always are, but we've explicitly ensured you don't need to pay if you don't want too.

Pocket Gamer (who gave the game 9/10) said of the IAP...

"We spent several hours with the game without once feeling like we were being coerced into spending real cash. You can dive into the virtual storefront and unlock all of the characters ahead of time, or purchase stars or rings to buy items, enter events, or upgrade your kart, but the former is unnecessary and the latter can be achieved through general play."

You can read that review here BTW -

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/Sonic+&+All-Stars+Racing+Transformed/review.asp?c=56318

...so we've been very careful about how this is done. I suggest you wait for some player reviews, I think you'll find if anything, we're probably too generous with the in-game currency...!

---
S0L
---

Glorious PC Gamer

I'm mainly a PC gamer too and i have to say the Wii U version is fine and dandy. Sure, it's not 1080p@Stupid FPS but it's a good solid racer. No, actually it's a bloody great racer.
If the Wii U version is the only one you can play or it's the version that fits your gaming lifestyle then go for it. Seriously, it's bloody grand.

sibarraz

Banned
I'll defend the game too, like sol said I had no problem (yet) with the iap since I had enough coins to play for a long time. My main worry though are the stars, since those are more scarce and you need them to use them to play in expert mode, if you could at least assure us that we could grind them in a normal rate I will be fine though. And now, if you want to avoid this currency, think that the game really has a $15 price but that you could get cheaper if you try to play the game. For the extra $10 dollars (not the vip package which isn't in the game) you pretty much get all the world tour without the currency. But for $5 dollars you should be fine

About the lack of content, I had to remind everybody that the original game had pretty much everything locked too from the beggining? you started at the first stage of world tour like this game, and only had like 3/8 of the total roster, so whining for this is forgotting how the original game started. If people want to pay to unlock things instead of playing it, well kudos for them, I think that is stupid though, I had no hurry on unlocking everything like I did in the PC game

Now, my issues are

1) I had an Ipad 3rd generation, and at some stages, the framerate gets super bad (water stage in panzer dragon is bad, don't know if you guys will optimize the game later.

2) The all star thing is stupid, I hope that at least is not avaliable on online since is super stupid to had avaliable the all star move whenever you want paying for 1 star, now thats an IAP that I couldn't defend since it feels like pay to win

micro-transaction hell.

But my little son loves the first all-star on the iphone, and I am considering this for him. If I buy the game ($5) and the "play-as-you-want-all-tracks" ($10) will he be able to play the game and unlock all characters and tracks using in game coins obtained in the races or the game will constantely ask for real money? I cannot leave the game with him if it is the later.

Can we talk about how it plays now?

Is any control scheme any good? I remember liking touch better than tilt for the first one.

How's the framerate on latest devices? Is it locked 30 like vita or uncapped?

HUELEN10

Is any control scheme any good? I remember liking touch better than tilt for the first one.

When I played it on my iphone 5, it looked like A Solid 30 FPS; I don't think it was 60, but it was very stable. I personally like the touch control scheme combined with low steering assist; works great for chaining drifts. Controls are much better than iOS ASR.

sibarraz

Banned
micro-transaction hell.

But my little son loves the first all-star on the iphone, and I am considering this for him. If I buy the game ($5) and the "play-as-you-want-all-tracks" ($10) will he be able to play the game and unlock all characters and tracks using in game coins obtained in the races or the game will constantely ask for real money? I cannot leave the game with him if it is the later.

You can unlock everything with in game currency, the unlock things for money is in the store, as long as he doesn't go there you will be fine

Touch works great, I'm not very good with touch controls but here I could won races at hard difficulty. Tilt in the other hand isn't good imo, I don't know if I suck with it or is bad, but with touch I'll be fine, and like I said, at least on my Ipad 3RD the game has some unstable framerate at times, with the water stage in panzer dragoon being really bad

Top Bottom