• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic and Knuckles' new designs leaked

Regiruler

Also reminded of one of the other Sonic redesigns - from the Sonic Riders series.

sonic-rider-style-blue.jpg

While these new designs are tall as well, they didn't have GIGANTIC FEET AND HANDS like in Riders.

Other than the feet and riding gear it looks identical to modern sonic.

CNCOMICS

As a Sonic fan, I don't know how to feel about this. Fur-armed Sonic with a Chris Brown scarf, a juiced Knuckles; a game/tv tie-in; the overall redesign. I'm really torn, the last time I was this unnerved was the Sonic Underground cartoon.

Shenzakai

Banned
No prob with refreshing beloved characters, worlds and themes (just compare it with Mario & Co.), but this looks just terribly awful! At least the game since in the TV trailer Sonic looks more familiar, but Knuckles definitely is a big FAIL and all these tapes look just hilarious :p

1234443297_ken_park_suicide.gif

That TMNT comparison reminds me, you know what other cartoony redesign initially received a lot of rage, salt and butthurt from the fandom before winning the fans over with the quality of its show? This:

Transformers_Animated_Poster.jpg

Seems like there's a moral to be learned here.
The TMNT and Transformers Animated shows were actually pretty entertaining.

As for the moral lesson...... Yeah you're going to have to explain that, because if we're supposed to expect quality from Sonic Boom, the Pac Man and the Ghostly Adventures was pure perfection.

I don't understand why they can't use the original timeless designs from the Sega Genesis era????

sorry man, we gotta give up. I give up.

I give up trying to convince myself that they will one day again make another great Sonic game.

gotta look the truth in the mirror. It ended in 1994 and we must deal with it.

1994 was the last great one.

I agree. I'm starting to think that the main reason that they will never go back to 2-D is the fact that in doing so, it would admit (directly or indirectly) that the last 14 years have largely been a wash.
When faced with the choice of releasing a decent (at best) game, or releasing a great game that admits to the world that the past 14 years have been a bit of a slip-up, unfortunately I think it is human-nature to choose the former.

..............What the fuck are you all babbling about? Go play some of the recent games on 360/PS3/Wii. Hell even Lost Worlds was a decent game at best.

Y'all trippin.

Pikawil

Unconfirmed Member

I didn't. I saw the trailer and was pleased. Also, another thing you have to consider is the history of the two subjects of media, along with origin and what's presented and what we had before.

A gameplay video with bad character models and generic action as well. Like I understand being optimistic, but nah.

And y'all keep doing this.

"Lost Worlds going to be the best shit ever."

Me: This shit looks stale as fuck compared to the past three games.

Verdict: "Shit's kinda mediocre bro."

I think the true moral lesson is to be able to evaluate what you're seeing. I'm not saying go overboard and lambaste it, I'm saying don't expect goodness from obvious piles of stank.

Also, looking forward to Michael Bay Turtles.

Pikawil

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't. I saw the trailer and was pleased.
Then, going back to the Transformers subject, you were in the minority. I remember how Transformers fandom reacted years ago before the show aired.

I didn't. I saw the trailer and was pleased.
As the only true dork moment in TMNT prior to the Nick era was the short-lived The Next Mutation, I'm using Transformers as an example again: Animated should have sucked by this logic because everything released between Beast Wars and Animated is a miserable pile of dreck. Do you honestly think Beast Machines, the Unicron Trilogy and Kiss Players are bastions of quality compared to those two shows?

(Then again, the same can be said of everything between Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Colors plus Lost World.)

A gameplay video with bad character models and generic action as well. Like I understand being optimistic, but nah.

And y'all keep doing this.

"Lost Worlds going to be the best shit ever."

Me: This shit looks stale as fuck compared to the past three games.

Verdict: "Shit's kinda mediocre bro."
The funny thing here is that in regards to Sonic Boom, you are acting exactly in accordance to TFWiki.net's Ruined Forever page, the very link in my previous post:

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Ruined_forever

Then, going back to the Transformers subject, you were in the minority. I remember how Transformers fandom reacted years ago before the show aired.

As the only true dork moment in TMNT prior to the Nick era was the short-lived The Next Mutation, I'm using Transformers as an example again: Animated should have sucked by this logic because everything released between Beast Wars and Animated is a miserable pile of dreck. Do you honestly think Beast Machines, the Unicron Trilogy and Kiss Players are bastions of quality compared to those two shows?

Actually I didn't bring that up but if were to discuss my favorite animated Transformers series that would be Prime and Cybertron.
(Then again, the same can be said of everything between Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Colors plus Lost World.)

The funny thing here is that in regards to Sonic Boom, you are acting exactly in accordance to TFWiki.net's Ruined Forever page, the very link in my previous post:

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Ruined_forever

Possibly (I didn't peep the link), but I've been playing Sonic all my life. Matter in fact Sonic taught me every damn thing I know about game design (Especially what's a bad game and why). Like I love modern Sonic and Yuji Uekawa's depictions of the character more than classic, (still love the design tho Japanese that is, US artwork looked terrible back then even tho I ate it up as a kid.) But I'm not gonna sit here and act like this is a change for the better. I'm not even against change, but I against bad decisions, and lack of progress.

Like my distaste comes from the fact that I've endured these things before with Heroes, Shadow, and 06. While thinking they've learned their lesson when quality improved in Unleashed, Colors and Gen, they start repeating the same mistakes by resetting the gameplay design, in Lost World, then with this, The character design, it's not even remotely Sonic. It's not funky or pop or "Sega-ish" if there's some weird way to define that cool-ness they bring to the table. Hell it feels so grungy to the point it feels kinda Anti-Sonic, and once I get past the character designs, I have to deal with what I see in the game. Which I brought up earlier. Then the TV show which seems to be hella Saturday Morning cartoonified (which works for SOME shows) don't get me wrong, but I wasn't feeling what I saw with Sonic Boom. Sonic's making long winded jokes that sounded like some Egoraptor/Seth McFarland wannabe from Newgrounds wrote.

Like I'm glad that it's "only" A spin-off. It means maybe I can still keep interest in playing the games, but at the same time, you really start to wonder why. Especially after seeing stuff like the Unleashed Opening or Night of the Living Werehog. Why not go that route. Is the fathead blue armed cornball route was necessary?I mean we knew we were slowly getting there with each game post Colors. But now we're here. Sometimes it's okay to have negative responses to these things. Sometimes it's not just about attachment or nostalgia.

This looks terrible to me man. With plenty of good reason. They gave you like three forms of proof of what to expect. Sometimes you just gotta cut your losses and accept that.

Well that's how it works for me anyway. You can be optimistic. I've played enough ass Sonic games to know when I see a bad one.

lednerg

Sonic's Scarf Changes Everything
Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 by Sega

Sonic the Hedgehog has a scarf now. It is brown and it is right there on his neck. This is canon, people. There is no coming back from the scarf situation that we now find ourselves in.

Such a bold step into the unknown might seem frightening. At Sega, however, we love to explore new frontiers and take on the challenges they present. We knew it was time to shake up the franchise and now we have this scarf.

When we unveiled Sonic Boom at this week's D.I.C.E. Summit, it took nearly fifteen minutes to explain the scarf as a general concept. We'd like to clarify a few points that might have been skimmed over in that rushed presentation.

[...]​

It's a done deal, folks. Get used to it.

TheOGB

Banned

Sonic the Hedgehog has a scarf now. It is brown and it is right there on his neck. This is canon, people. There is no coming back from the scarf situation that we now find ourselves in.

Such a bold step into the unknown might seem frightening. At Sega, however, we love to explore new frontiers and take on the challenges they present. We knew it was time to shake up the franchise and now we have this scarf.

When we unveiled Sonic Boom at this week's D.I.C.E. Summit, it took nearly fifteen minutes to explain the scarf as a general concept. We'd like to clarify a few points that might have been skimmed over in that rushed presentation.

[...]​

That's actually pretty funny.

[...]​

After seeing the series and game trailer I have to say the designs look quite nice in motion and they've grown on me. That said, I still don't really like the scarf because Sonic is otherwise naked (sports tape doesn't really count as clothing). It's just weird that he's got a scarf. Also Knuckles didn't look as bad in motion.

[...]​

... Is this real?

lol, IDK what's going on!

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
That TMNT comparison reminds me, you know what other cartoony redesign initially received a lot of rage, salt and butthurt from the fandom before winning the fans over with the quality of its show? This:

Transformers_Animated_Poster.jpg

Seems like there's a moral to be learned here.

That horrible art can hide a decent product?

Top Bottom