• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic and Knuckles' new designs leaked

Akainu

Knuckles' head ain't right at all. Sonic is fine though. Sonic can do without the hand wraps. It makes sense for Knuckles.

.la1n

I needed this today, haven't laughed this hard in some time. Who knows, maybe the younger generation will dig the design, what do I know I'm old.

Narroo

The proportions and odd curing through it off. I doubt this would pass the golden ratio test.

Particularly Knuckles, he looks top heavy.

- Sonic's audience is, now more than ever, young males I would say 6-9 but maybe as old as 12. These designs are clearly reflecting that kind of aesthetic. They look like TV series characters, they look designed for action figures, and that makes sense.

Knuckles' figure is going to be top heavy

Pillville

Knuckles new look:
carrot-top-after1.jpg

I like how they just kind of took knuckles' regular head and placed it on this buff creature's body.

Honestly, they're not that bad. Probably in action they'll look a bit better. The designs of Sonic characters were kind of boring in the first place and lent to why we got so many copy paste of characters over the years. At least with sonic and knuckles here, they look pretty unique.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
SONIC HAS BLUE ARMS.

BLUE ARMS?!?!?!?!?

This is green eyes all over again.

marink

I think several things are pretty clear from both the visual design and the plans of the franchise reboot:

- Sonic is now primarily a character franchise driven by merchandise and entertainment products more generally. The games are not the primary product, they're just one part of the process.

- Sonic's audience is, now more than ever, young males I would say 6-9 but maybe as old as 12. These designs are clearly reflecting that kind of aesthetic. They look like TV series characters, they look designed for action figures, and that makes sense.

Oh they're like Transformers.

Can't wait to see Tail's thick rimmed glasses and cardigan.

Amy Rose to guest star on GIRLS.

These actually aren't terrible. Will market well to kids.

Davey Cakes

I usually go into these sorts of things with an open mind but...errr, no.

Change can be good but the differences here aren't really improvements at all. Why'd they even need to do this in the first place? Was Sonic losing appeal?

I will say "Hipster Sonic and Bro Knuckles" is pretty funny though.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
From a design standpoint, why do they both have bandages? Like, if they wanted to have Knuckles look like a big brawler, I can kind of understand the logic throwing some bandages on him. But why Sonic?

Why are Sonic's legs so fucking long and kind of skinny compared to his body.

Did they even try making Knuckles proportionate holy shit. His upper body god damn.

Top Bottom