• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic & ASRT (Wii U) gets surprise Nintendo Selects release in NA

img_20170820_17291186mvs55.jpg
Just saw this at my local Game Shack in Toronto. Out of nowhere. Huh.

Frozen: Olaf's Quest on 3DS got one also a while ago.

Wow how random. Pretty sure this is the only third-party Wii U select?

I wish we'd get another one of these games. They were so damn good but Sumo's hands have been so full lately... There's so much Sega love and nostalgia going around lately that the timing would be perfect.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Great game and I highly recommend anyone to pick it up.

I also wish that it would get a remaster/port on current console.

Hazu

Wow how random. Pretty sure this is the only third-party Wii U select?

I wish we'd get another one of these games. They were so damn good but Sumo's hands have been so full lately... There's so much Sega love and nostalgia going around lately that the timing would be perfect.

I think LEGO City Undercover is a Select title too.

Weird...

But this was actually a great version of the game that actually used the Wii U features well.

-5-player split-screen with the Gamepad.
-Mii Characters in a SD OutRun car.
-The ability to use the Gamepad as rearview mirror.
-Two exclusive asymmetric party modes one of which had you in a Monkey Ball crushing cars and collecting bananas.

Got it at launch. Probably the Wii U game I put the most time in initially. Showed how awesome off-tv play was to me despite it possibly having the worst image quality of off-TV play outside of multiplayer in 007 Legends.

plufim

Gods I would love a sequel. It's amazing and Sumo deserve more love.

Nintendo, if they're not doing Mario Kart DX DLC, should partner with SEGA to have Sumo make a Mario and Sonic ASRT. I mean holy shit imagine what they'd do with Metroid.

bman94

This is a damn good kart racer. Mario Kart 8 barely notches this out as the better kart racer. Lots of great content.

Weird...

But this was actually a great version of the game that actually used the Wii U features well.

-5-player split-screen with the Gamepad.
-Mii Characters in a SD OutRun car.
-The ability to use the Gamepad as rearview mirror.
-Two exclusive asymmetric party modes one of which had you in a Monkey Ball crushing cars and collecting bananas.

Got it at launch. Probably the Wii U game I put the most time in initially. Showed how awesome off-tv play was to me despite it possibly having the worst image quality of off-TV play outside of multiplayer in 007 Legends.

Yeah, it's a great port. It and Tag 2 were the highlights of the Wii U launch for me.

The Sonic all stars game before transformed was better than any mario kart.

It gets overlooked a lot compared to the sequel (I guess Transformed benefited from Wii U launch + having a PC version) but oh yeah, Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing was also a great game. Billy Hatcher, ChuChu Rocket, Mobo and Robo were in that but not Transformed. Had some really cool exclusive tracks too and it felt so good with the Wii Wheel.

Yeah, it's a great port. It and Tag 2 were the highlights of the Wii U launch for me.

Yeah the other non-Nintendo/Ubisoft game I got for launch.

Both were incredible ports that took great advantage of the Gamepad as well as having exclusive content.

Multiplayer mainstays for me.

Espada

Love this game.

Could never complete it though, I remember hitting a wall and not being about to unlock everything...

That's because the game got incredibly fucking difficult towards the end, and you don't get enough stars on medium (B-Rank) difficulty to unlock all the racers. In the end I was never able to unlock Nights' red palette swap counterpart or the AGES racer which is a Daytona USA car/Afterburner F-14/Dreamcast controller speedboat.

But I second the sentiment that this is definitely the best kart racer of the decade. Goddamn this game is good, and the blue shell equivalent in this is actually fair (it can be evaded and countered with items). If Sumo Digital announced they were working on a followup, I'd be there day 1.

jholmes

I do think Mario Kart 8 stole the crown from this but this is the second-best kart racer out there, especially if you want to play it single player and don't mind a challenge.

Bugs are ironed out but I still wouldn't bother with five-player mode on Wii U as anything but a novelty. Still entirely worth this price.

Kent

Calling it a "kart racer" is kind of underselling it. In practice, it feels way more like an arcade racer, just with the random power-ups and such you see in kart racers.

And importantly, without them, the game still feels amazing. Just thinking about it makes me want to boot it up and do a few races.

...I guess I know what I'm doing this evening, now.

Kent

We need a new installment, honestly. Transformed was great, but not perfect. Hopefully Sega and Sumo aren't done with it yet.

Sumo Digital is currently working on Crackdown 3 - but once that's (finally) out the door, I certainly hope they get around to making another one of these.

Pensé

Neo Member
Mario Kart Double Dash was my favorite for years but the more I play Sonic ASRT, the more I'm convinced this is the best kart racer ever.

Mind blowing at 4K@60fps on big screen, the perfect descendant of classic Sega arcade games from 90's era.

Man I hope the next one (if it happens) has a roster like the first game. What was up with Tranformed having so much bullshit? Wreck it Ralph? That Nascar Lady? TF2 guys and Football manager???? How about spend time making actually Sega characters for the next game?

Great game, but I really don't understand why so many are praising the 5 players mode, granted I mostly play it on PC, but I also played it on 360 and Wii U, the Wii U 5 players mode has by far the worst performance out of all of them and I find it really, really hard to enjoy it, sub 30 FPS at all times and consistently dropping below 20 FPS

On another note, Sega please make the third game already

J@hranimo

Banned
I love this game, definitely more fun racing than MK8 imo.

...Although despite this Nintendo Selects status, do yourself a favor and get it on Steam. Runs so much better at 60fps and has some people playing online sometimes as well.

G0523

Great game and I highly recommend anyone to pick it up.

I also wish that it would get a remaster/port on current console.

Same here. Loved both of the games and would just be happy to get a current gen one at some point.

If it helps, the Xbox 360 version is backwards compatible on Xbox One.

Hopefully we do get a new one in the near future, after Crackdown 3 and any other patches Sumo Digital wants to do for Snake Pass. Sega just has to give them the green light.

That's fucking bizarre. Loved the game though, definitely put more time into it than Mario Kart 8.

I hope they make another one of those sometime

Zebei

woah that's surprising. Since im already in a Sonic kick and Im seeing positive opinions here I may pick this up. . .tempting. . .

Top Bottom