• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Boom cartoon makes Knuckles' jump glitch in the game canon

DarkKyo

tumblr_l2oir9npfC1qc073co1_400.gif

Hahahaha this is exactly what I first thought of.

Somebody please remake this scene in gif-form using the Knuckles footage!

Somnid

This topic is a bit confusing. So they wrote an episode in 2013 that recently aired where Knuckles has a dream sequence in which he flys. A writer then goes to Twitter joking they made the hump glitch canon. The clip in the OP is that clip but modified by a Youtuber to add in the pause screen. Correct?

I'm not really sure why people are talking about this. Random youtuber makes an edited video, then the writer makes a vague tweet without linking anything. How is this canon?

If the episode aired like that I would understand, but it didn't.

Sometimes a joke is just a joke

Son Of D

Jesus.

I wonder if there are vids of people seeing how far they can jump.

There was a speedrun either just before or just after release (since some stores broke street date) where the glitch was abused and the game was completed in under an hour. You can skip most of the game doing it.

TimmiT

Jesus.

I wonder if there are vids of people seeing how far they can jump.

Really just as far as you want. You could even find a test area by using the glitch and skip most of the game.

Also, a more accurate explanation for how the glitch was done:

1. Jump as Knuckles
2. Do his Ground Pound move, which as part of the animation moves Knuckles upwards, then down.
3. Pause mid-animation before Knuckles starts going down
4. Ground pound again
5. And so on.

Rapstah

This topic is a bit confusing. So they wrote an episode in 2013 that recently aired where Knuckles has a dream sequence in which he flys. A writer then goes to Twitter joking they made the hump glitch canon. The clip in the OP is that clip but modified by a Youtuber to add in the pause screen. Correct?

Yes.

MrBadger

That wasn't so confusing. yeah pretty much

Really just as far as you want. You could even find a test area by using the glitch and skip most of the game.

Also, a more accurate explanation for how the glitch was done:

1. Jump as Knuckles
2. Do his Ground Pound move, which as part of the animation moves Knuckles upwards, then down.
3. Pause mid-animation before Knuckles starts going down
4. Ground pound again
5. And so on.

Ah, so it's an exploit type thing. I thought it paused the game by itself every time you jumped!

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Wait, they don't call him "Robotnik" anymore? I thought "Eggman" was the Japanese name? I'm probably out of the loop.

Nokterian

Ah there it is so not real.

Mononoke

Banned

Sadly, correct. Episode was written in 2013 before the infinite glitch existed. Then when the episode aired, the writer jokingly went on Twitter and said they made the glitch canon (joking of course).

If you watch the episode itself, it's just knuckles dreaming and flying for 3 seconds. The two weren't related. The fan edit to the clip made it funny though.

Well it is when people think that Sega themselves made an in-joke in the cartoon by poking fun at themselves when they didn't. Observe the 'I've got to watch this now' comments.

Is just the writer acknowledging the fan. The show is clever and lighthearted,the game is actually the shitty tie-in.

Top Bottom