• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Boom concept art shows drastic Sonic, Eggman etc. redesigns

TimmiT

So a couple of artists have put up concept art they did for Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric, which shows some very drastic redesigns. For Sonic, Eggman and Chao's in particular.

First up, Sonic:
lHeGHol.jpg
gUM6vAW.jpg

sKGDroN.jpg
ZtYnakD.jpg

eRUDKk7.jpg
FJ8etQh.jpg

Eggman:

Chao's:

Lyric:

Environments:

Other characters:

Source:
https://www.facebook.com/rcraigharris
https://www.facebook.com/nicolas.p.villarreal

Foffy

Banned
Holy shit. Thank fuck Sonic Team got involved.

Eggman looks fucking awful in every single depiction here.

HardRojo

I don't even know why Sonic needed a redesign in the first place. Ugh at those ugly pieces of concept art. Sorry artist but that's not Sonic at all.
PDSWe.gif

SoulUnison

Banned
That's not Eggman.

You can't just create an entirely new character and slap an old name on it.
He doesn't even look evil.

DedValve

Banned
I wish they went with these. That way instead of another bad sonic game we would have gotten something truly spectacular.

gngf123

BRB did say they had some crazy ideas for the game, and had Sega hold them back.

I kind of wish they didn't now. It would have been fun to see the reactions to this.

TimmiT

There actually was an article that described how Iizuka, the current head of Sonic Team, reacted to the redesigns:
"We experimented with different colors and surface features on the characters, such as fur or scales, and quickly Sonic Team came back with their discomfort of that. They were great guardrails for us to understand when we were deviating too far from the character. Without their input, the character would have been a lot more alien and different from what Sonic is known for." Discomfort may be putting things mildly, particularly in the case of Takashi Iizuka, the current head of Sega's Sonic Team in Japan. As Rafei recalled, "Early on, when we had our first review of all the crazy things we wanted to try, Iizuka-san came down to Los Angeles and looked through all the different concepts."

"I felt sorry for the guy because sometimes he couldn't actually look at the screen--it was too traumatic seeing all the crazy stuff we wanted to do. Over the course of that meeting, when we were coming up with new ideas, we had a very sincere--just two adults talking--conversation about why a character should or should not wear pants, and that was a very surreal moment in my life and my career," Rafei continued. "But it helped us understand the rules of clothing in this universe. Any small adjustment went a very long way, so we had to be very careful."
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sega-explains-sonic-and-knuckles-new-look/1100-6418328/

JordanN

Banned
The only decent one.
iIfJvIpO4itzM.png

Making Sonic an actual hedgehog is just regressive. Kinda like how Bugs Bunny's first design was an actual rabbit.
yOCODLa.png

khaaan

They're all pretty interesting ideas, as concept art created in the idea phase I think they hold a lot of promise. I'm not surprised that there are negative reactions though.

MrBadger

Gotta say, I'm a fan of Owl Lyric. Kinda wish they went with that.

I actually like this one...

fwgVFI9.png

It's like Sonic reimagined by Don Bluth.

Me too, it kinda looks like Mr Needlemouse. Woulda been interesting if they decided to be this drastic with the redesigns instead of just wrapping everyone up in tape.

Dr. Buni

I prefer the actual redesigns over the concept art ones. Amy, Tails, Eggman and Knuckles (yes, Knuckles) designs were never this good. Sonic is the only "meh" redesign so far.

Top Bottom