• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Boom Fire & Ice Aiming to Play More Like Classic Sonic

djlr181

NWR has a new interview with the game's lead designer, Mat Kraemer.

Video Link

Basic Summary:

Developer Sanzaru is listening to fan criticism. Studied the map layouts of past 2D sonic titles especially Sonic Rush and the Genesis games. Controls have also been revamped to feel like Classic Sonic. Not necessary to gain collectibles to move forward through the game. 5 playable characters (Amy now playable). Folks at Sanzaru would love to make another Sly Cooper.

TimmiT

Good to know that they're at least trying to make it better. Not sure if they entirely got what was wrong with the first game, but it sounds like it could still end up being a decent game.

If they actually go through with that I would consider purchasing it. However if not then it will be another ignored Sonic game from myself! Nbd.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
At the very least, it sounds like it'll upgraded from "meh" to "okay". It was still much more playable compared to the Wii U version based on both of the demos.

ZeroGravity

I've lost track of how many Sonic games over the games have been made with the mindset of taking the series back closer to its roots.

None of them ever succeeded. And yet they still keep peddling this narrative.

hqdefault.jpg

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
I've lost track of how many Sonic games over the games have been made with the mindset of taking the series back closer to its roots.

Standard PR talk, try to hit the nostalgia notes to get sales. It's not a bad tactic that is until you keep using it...

TheOGB

Banned
More Rush/Genesis and less Rivals sounds good to me, but I'll believe it when I see it. Hope you hit the mark, Sanzaru.

MrBadger

I wonder if by "classic Sonic" they just mean non-boom Sonic. It has been a long time since we had a game with the iconic pinball physics of the classics and I doubt this game will be like that. Having said that...

I'm still not all that fussed by this game but I have nothing but praise for how they're handling it. They really do seem to be listening to the feedback from their last attempt, which I like.

Regiruler

Lost World did successfully implement mechanics that had been abandoned for a long time in the 3D space and successfully implemented them in that setting. That was no spin: Lost World did in fact bring 3D sonic closer to the series' roots.

Just before people come and shit post, Boom for the Wii was made by Big Red Button. Sanzaru games are behind this, the totally competent studio behind Sly 4. There's no reason to think this game will be shit.

NWR has a new interview with the game's lead designer, Mat Kraemer.

Video Link

Basic Summary:

Developer Sanzaru is listening to fan criticism. Studied the map layouts of past 2D sonic titles especially Sonic Rush and the Genesis games. Controls have also been revamped to feel like Classic Sonic. Not necessary to gain collectibles to move forward through the game. 5 playable characters (Amy now playable). Folks at Sanzaru would love to make another Sly Cooper.
Me too.

RK128

That is a great interview; Sanzaru takes criticism to heart if Sly 3 means anything (they looked at that games problems and for their first shot with the franchise, they fixed everything wrong with that gameplay :D), so I have high hopes they are seriously using that fan and critical feedback to make a stronger game.

The simple fact that Sega decided to make another Boom tittle by them speaks volumes, the negative press coming off both Shattered Crystal and Rise of Lyric was nearly as toxic as Sonic 06, but they saw potential within Shattered Crystal and told Sanzaru "This has potential and we need a Sonic tittle for 2015. So, we would like you to continue working on the Boom series and make another tittle that is better than your work with Shattered Crystal."

And from Aron's answers to my and others questions on the games thread here and from what I saw in this interview, I see a developer making strides in making a stronger game. I am looking forward to getting this on my 2DS this fall and I hope its a much stronger game than Shattered Crystal :D.

ZeroGravity

Lost World did successfully implement mechanics that had been abandoned for a long time in the 3D space and successfully implemented them in that setting. That was no spin: Lost World did in fact bring 3D sonic closer to the series' roots.
Thought the game was terrible, so can't really agree there.

The closest they've ever gotten in my eyes was Classic Sonic in Generations, and even that still didn't play exactly like classic Sonic.

Folks at Sanzaru would love to make another Sly Cooper.

It sure doesn't seem like it, considering they wasted time making Sonic Boom 3DS1... and now this. In the time they wasted on those two games, we could have had Sly 5, and it could have at least been cross-gen.

But now we'll be lucky if we get it by 2017-2018, and it will almost assuredly be on PS4. *sigh*

Beyond that, it's interesting they studied the genesis trilogy... and Sonic Rush. Does SEGA have a hard on with just Rush1? Because Sonic Rush was the only handheld game to get representation in Generations 3DS, which excluded Rush Adventure and the Advance Trilogy. Some of the levels in Sonic Advance had great design; Meanwhile Sonic Rush was pretty bottomless pit heavy, which was something toned down in Rush Adventure, which was arguably a much better game. :/

It sure doesn't seem like it, considering they wasted time making Sonic Boom 3DS1... and now this. In the time they wasted on those two games, we could have had Sly 5, and it could have at least been cross-gen.

But now we'll be lucky if we get it by 2017-2018, and it will almost assuredly be on PS4. *sigh*

They need to pay the bills somehow.

I can assure you Sly games alone do not make them enough profit to keep their doors open without taking on other projects, especially something as costly as a current-gen Sly.

Seik

Banned
I was genuinely surprised they dared to release another BOOM game after the car crash that was both WiiU/3DS predecessors..

IDK, did the last 3DS one sold enough for expectations? o_o

I was genuinely surprised they dared to release another BOOM game after the car crash that was both WiiU/3DS predecessors..

IDK, did the last 3DS one sold enough for expectations? o_o

We only know the combined sales, but the Sonic Boom titles did manage to sell over 500,000.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
By this logic Sonic Adventure (DX) and Sonic 06 are closer to Classic Sonic just because they run at 60fps.

lol.

60fps is necessary not sufficient. Though two of the best Sonic games, Unleashed and Generations were 30fps :/.

Jay RaR

Nope, not getting excited for this since their 2D gameplay in Shattered Crystal was slow and awkward platforming.

Also sticking to 2D does not equal a better Sonic game.

Felensis

Banned
Sonic Boom on 3DS was good. Finished it 100% and had my fun doing so. Nevertheless it wasn't outstanding and the graphics mostly meh (it doesn't use bilinear filtering o0). Will keep an eye on the successor. If they manage to really improve over the first one, I might dip in.

Onaco

Why do people think it's still 2006?
Are you implying the series got better? Looks to me that Boom broke this cycle by letting people skip step 1 and already assume the worst. Some of the biggest diehard Sonic fans seem to be tearing the blue rat's limbs apart over color choices, too. So you're right, it's now 2015 and we shouldn't even give the series the benefit of the doubt anymore when they announce a new game. The series has shit the bed.

Felensis

Banned
wait sonic boom is getting a sequel? The first one didnt flop?

afaik whether the Wii U version nor the 3DS version did sell very well, but the latter sold better than the former. I think the reason for a sequel on 3DS is that the TV show is very successful and the 3DS sold way more than the Wii U especially in the target audience.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Are you implying the series got better? Looks to me that Boom broke this cycle by letting people skip step 1 and already assume the worst. Some of the biggest diehard Sonic fans seem to be tearing the blue rat's limbs apart over color choices, too. So you're right, it's now 2015 and we shouldn't even give the series the benefit of the doubt anymore when they announce a new game. The series has shit the bed.
Yes the series did get better. A lot better. Goddamn why do people insist on pretending every fucking game has been Sonic Boom? Boom was an anomaly and not even made by Sonic Team or part of the main series. There hasn't been a bad main series Sonic game aince 2008.

Standard PR talk, try to hit the nostalgia notes to get sales. It's not a bad tactic that is until you keep using it...

Yep. BRB and Sanzaru said PR spiel along the lines of this too with the first two Sonic Boom games.

It's pretty obvious that anyone remotely affiliated with designing Sonic games nowadays has no idea what they hell they are talking about when they talk about classic Sonic. The only exceptions to the rule are Stealth and Taxman, but even then they were merely tasked to remakes of the first few classic Sonic games. With two of them being exclusive to mobile devices.

No Sonic Cycle posted yet? Lol.

SonicCycle.png

I'll just leave this here.

Why do people think it's still 2006?

please let this happen, please

this hasn't been true or relevant for years so you probably shouldn't leave it here

IEO4KCA.png

How about I leave this here since the cycle hasn't been relevant for years.

I swear, you could probably predict how any sonic thread is going to go, down to the seconds it takes for people to post this same junk that hasn't been funny or relevant (both sides now!) in years.

MrBadger

Yep. BRB and Sanzaru said PR spiel along the lines of this too.

It's pretty obvious that anyone remotely affiliated with Sonic in terms of designing the games has no idea what they hell they are talking about when they talk about classic Sonic. The only exceptions to the rules are Stealth and Taxman, but they were merely tasked to remakes of the first few classic Sonic games. With two of them being exclusive to mobile devices.

Indeed. I'd really love for a developer to come along and not just see "Classic Sonic" as running to the right, going fast and jumping on stuff. The physics and the level design of the series haven't been recaptured since Sonic Advance in anything except fan games.

I swear, you could probably predict how any sonic thread is going to go, down to the seconds it takes for people to post this same junk that hasn't been funny or relevant (both sides now!) in years.

Yep, Sonic threads are the most predictable threads around. I can't wait for the "Sonic was never good" posts to roll in next

Shiggy

Sonic was never good.

Had to do this as the previous poster asked for this.

I have huge doubts this game will turn out well. What I've played from Sonic Boom 3DS was abysmal.

Top Bottom