• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Boom Fire & Ice Announced, 3DS, Sanzaru, Winter 2015, TV show successful

Cathcart

"Winston, what happens when you mix fire and ice?"
"Warm water, baby!"

picture-85.png

Mr-Joker

Banned
I don't treat Boom like conventional Sonic, holding a button to run doesn't bother me.

Now Lost World? Unforgivable.

Oh god yeah, control Sonic in Lost World was a pain as there was no middle ground for his speed.

As long as Sonic Team is working a new Sonic game for PS4/X1/PC/Wii U/3DS, then IDC that this exists.

Fixed it for you, there is no reason why Nintendo fans can't have at least one good Sonic game instead of this Boom garbage.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
honestly the trailer is pretty good.
btw me too I hope for a legacy game by sonic team, hopefully for wiiu too, cause I still don't have other consoles.
btw lost world was ok-ish

Ferr986

They could have just called Sumo Digital to make a new Sonic Racing for 2015 while Sonic Team works on Sonic Generations 2 for 2016 anniversary.

But nooo.... it had to be Sonic Boom again.

They could have just called Sumo Digital to make a new Sonic Racing for 2015 while Sonic Team works on Sonic Generations 2 for 2016 anniversary.

Because the TV show was successful.

Again Sonic Boom games are made to sell the TV show.

They aren't "Sonic" games in the traditional sense.

People keep saying Sonic Boom was the death of Sonic but that game was a cash in game in first place for the TV show.

It isn't that hard. The TV show made them money so they will continue to push it. And for the people that will still get this wrong, no Sonic Boom is not made by Sonic Team.

I...I thought we would have at least have an announced Sonic Team game for PS4/XB1 by now.

I'll admit it is odd but, they say they are still working on it.

>Sanzaru again

Aaaaand Sly 5's either being made by a new team or it's getting delayed... again.

Seriously though. Sly Cooper died (After finally being revived after an 8 year hiatus) for Sonic Boom. I am utterly pissed.

Why can't Sanzaru just work on mediocre Sly games and stay there? -_-

Your assessment of the quality of Sly 4 is a bit off, but otherwise your question/concern is valid.

Ferr986

Because the TV show was successful.

Again Sonic Boom games are made to sell the TV show.

They aren't "Sonic" games in the traditional sense.

People keep saying Sonic Boom was the death of Sonic but that game was a cash in game in first place for the TV show.

It isn't that hard. The TV show made them money so they will continue to push it. And for the people that will still get this wrong, no Sonic Boom is not made by Sonic Team.

I'll admit it is odd but, they say they are still working on it.

If the TV show is success then keep on, push it, do merchandise... but don't mix the show with the games.

Making Sonic Boom games is still making a Sonic game for the overall gaming community. And making cash-grab games is what made Sonic IP to be at the low level it was before the last two games I said before. It's not like the first Boom games were that succefull sales wise, right?

If the TV show is success then keep on, push it, do merchandise... but don't mix the show with the games.

Making Sonic Boom games is still making a Sonic game for the overall gaming community. And making cash-grab games is what made Sonic IP to be at the low level it was before the last two games I said before. It's not like the first Boom games were that succefull sales wise, right?

Okay fair point. I look at Sonic Boom games as like movie tie in games however it is Sonic and he is from Video games so I get where the problem lies with that.

And yeah looking it up Sonic Boom sold like ass. That I didn't know, I thought it still sold at least okay since it was Sonic but, sheesh it did really poorly.

Okay now I actually don't know why they decided to make another video game and just not more merchandise or a smaller game on the phone or something. I wasn't aware it bombed that hard, and I some how missed them saying it did that badly earlier this year.

With that said, it's not like they can't release 2 different titled Sonic games in a year. They have done it before. Although, I expected a Sonic Team game announcement already, especially if its coming out in November like they always do.

To be fair, one doesn't preclude the other. Separate, outsourced teams. And Sega has no problem with releasing multiple different Sonic games around the same time. Heck, they made a habit out of it for a while.

vypek

>Sanzaru again

Aaaaand Sly 5's either being made by a new team or it's getting delayed... again.

Seriously though. Sly Cooper died (After finally being revived after an 8 year hiatus) for Sonic Boom. I am utterly pissed.

Delay makes it sound like it was in at least pre-production. I think the series might be down for the count. It was never announced.

Sumo is working on Disney Infinity 3.0, at least the racing aspect of of it. I don't they would've had the time to do that and Sonic.

Drago

Delay makes it sound like it was in at least pre-production. I think the series might be down for the count. It was never announced.
There's a Sly movie coming out next year and Sly 4 was a moderate sales success IIRC. I'd be pretty surprised if Sly 5 wasn't happening, at least something to complement the movie coming out.

Is Sly 5 even confirmed?

Not officially, but Sly 4's cliffhanger ending certainly implied it.

It's almost as bad as the Mega Man Legends series situation, actually. Except Sly 5 is more likely to happen than Mega Man Legends 3, as unfortunate as that may sound.

Also, Sly 4 CHARTED in February 2013. At number 9, but still.

Sumo is working on Disney Infinity 3.0, at least the racing aspect of of it. I don't they would've had the time to do that and Sonic.

Honestly can they even improve from Transformed? By all means make an awesome Sonic racing trilogy, but I didn't even think they were gonna do a diddy kong racing-esque sequel to the first game. Seemed like one of those awesome things that are one-and-done. Might be a controversial opinion, but Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing is probaly the best non-Smash Bros. game to feature Sonic released in this entire decade so far (Sequel included I guess).

ryan13ts

Who asked for this? Did someone here at GAF ask for this? Did ANYONE, ANYWHERE ask for this?

I'm under the impression that they think no one knew how horrible the first game was. Would it have been so hard to just make Generations 2?

TriAceJP

Evidently the last game suffered from being 'down ported' from the PS4/XBO to the WiiU and had a lot of development issues. If this game is built straight up for the console this time around, there is a good chance it could be something actually decent.

The show is good from what I hear so it'll probably get a decent development.

Why do you guys want games to fail right out of the gate? I'll never understand that.

Merc_

Here comes another shitty Sonic game. The 3DS game was garbage too. It just wasn't as bad as the Wii U game.

Remember when Sega pretended that it actually cared about this franchises reputation? LMAO

MrBadger

I wonder what the score will be like...Shattered Crystal certainly wasn't Sonic good music-wise but Richard Jacques did a decent job with some of the music.

vypek

There's a Sly movie coming out next year and Sly 4 was a moderate sales success IIRC. I'd be pretty surprised if Sly 5 wasn't happening, at least something to complement the movie coming out.

The Sly movie is next year? I thought it was just Ratchet. It would be a very good way to complement the movie. Given the ending to Sly 4 I would think they did it to leave room for a sequel but it doesn't seem like it is happening unfortunately. Is there a dev that could start it and finish it by the time the movie releases next year? Or maybe Sony farmed it out to a dev that has been working on it quietly.

Sega wasn't sure: Were you shouting "BOO" or "Sonic BOOm"?

lol

Evidently the last game suffered from being 'down ported' from the PS4/XBO to the WiiU and had a lot of development issues. If this game is built straight up for the console this time around, there is a good chance it could be something actually decent.

The show is good from what I hear so it'll probably get a decent development.

Why do you guys want games to fail right out of the gate? I'll never understand that.

Sonic has a stigma around here, well a good chunk of the internet. I am hoping it won't fail personally but, yeah.

Needlecrash

WHAT THE FUCK. What a joke. I noticed that the press release is banking hard on the show. SEGA, WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING?!?!

RobbieNick

WHY DOES THIS EXIST?!!

Marketing and brand recognition. The good news for Sonic Boom fans is that it looks like Sega is still pushing the spinoff franchise due to the rating doing so well for it's 7 AM time slot. This game exists to help sell the show more than it is the game. See the "Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures" series of games.

BUT THE LAST ONE BOMBED! WHY MAKE ANOTHER?!!

A.) We don't know how well Shattered Crystal on 3DS did since Sega combined it's sales with Rise of Lyric in it's annual report. On average, 3DS games tend to sell better than their console brethren due to a higher install base than Wii U. For all we know, it could have sold 500,00 copies. We know combined, it was 620,000, but we don't know the exact split.

B.) Reused game engine, development and assets This means the game will be much cheaper to make than the original (and I don't think the original 3DS game costs much to make either given it's short length.)

That said, while hopeful, I'm not expecting much. If they could just use the assets to make a high-speed platformer and cut down on the exploration, I'd be happy.

This is the least excited I've been for a Sonic game in a long time.

L.O.R.D

What are you talking about? They announced it months ago!

yTY3R8L.png

accept it in your heart, you know it to be true

sonic runners is actually a good mobile game
too bad they never released it out side of japan or Canada
i don't know why they choose Canada , and what they are doing right now ?

3 event passes and a lot of gift and cool companions are gone
tomorrow there is going to be new update

I can't imagine the ROI on Generations was great.

That game had a looot of art assets and was quite clearly rushed to market at the end, I don't imagine they're in a rush to do a Generations 2.

Aki-at

SEGA and Namco must be making a killing with their TV series for Sonic/PacMan respectively.

Change PS4 and X1 for iOS and Android for a more realistic scenario.

SEGA has already confirmed that Sonic will remain on consoles.

I can't imagine the ROI on Generations was great.

That game had a looot of art assets and was quite clearly rushed to market at the end, I don't imagine they're in a rush to do a Generations 2.

Game has continued to sell for 3 or 4 years straight, I'd imagine it did well enough for SEGA but I'd doubt they're were going to spam out a major anniversary game every willy nilly.

The only thing that seemed rushed about it was the final boss, otherwise it seemed like a well made and competent platformer.

Greenzxy

sonic runners is actually a good mobile game
too bad they never released it out side of japan or Canada
i don't know why they choose Canada , and what they are doing right now ?

3 event passes and a lot of gift and cool companions are gone
tomorrow there is going to be new update

Yea, a good game once you get past the insane loading times, clusterfuck menu, and pop up galoria.

RK128

It isn't surprising that this is coming, considering that the TV show is a hit. I am not annoyed with this, as Sanzaru did a okay job with SC and with most of that gameplay already complete, they can make improvements and make a better game in the long run :). I enjoyed the trailer, so I am wondering where this game is going honestly.

Regarding Sonic's future, the series is fine :l. Sure, RoL is Sonic 06 levels of horribleness in the since that it almost killed the franchise again (after Colors/Generations/Lost World were great games...), but the series still has a lot coming.

We have the following coming based on what we know:
-Sonic Runners is releasing in the west sometime this year (the game is sorta out already anyway :l)
-Sonic and Mario is releasing this year (not a real sonic game but its something).
-Fire and Ice is launching this fall
-A Sonic film is in the works by Sony (releasing next year? Who knows honestly :l).
-The Generations Team Sonic Team is working with X1 hardware and by that logic, PS4 hardware as well; they have been working on a game since 2011 after Generations released (with them somewhat assisting the Colors team with Lost World).
-The Colors team must be working on something (as they finished Lost World and its Nintendo DLC by early 2014).

Sonic games are coming....it will just take a bit longer until the ones many of us want (The Colors and Generations teams tittles) to come out/be announced. For all we know, this E3 could announce the next big game in the series too :D.

Lastly, Sanzaru is working on a PS4/X1 tittle if reports last year mean anything; could mean that they are working on a new IP, making a Sly 5 to link with the movie (very likely, considering Ratchet is also getting a game to link with the film)......or, they are making a console Sonic Boom tittle (as Sega clearly respects their work with the series if Fire & Ice prove anything).

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
Hey Neogaf!

It's been ages. Sorry for not posting sooner. :)

As some of you may have heard, I'm back at SEGA now. When they let me out of the cage, I even get to post about Sonic on the Facebooks and the Twitters and across the internets.

Today, I got totally free and I got to post this news about Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice. So far, It's a pretty solid game but
Sean Bean dies in the last cutscene. I am sorry, Sean Bean.

Real talk, though: notable changes to the formula this time over last year. I've been clarifying this around the net, but didn't want to forget you guys:

- No Wii U version this year (and no infinite Knuckles jump)
- Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice is being built by Sanzaru, who made Shattered Crystal last year.
- While Shattered Crystal was definitely the stronger of the two titles, there was still a fair bit that the teams wanted to change and improve. This time around, they're putting a lot of effort into taking fan and press feedback and building from it.

As an example, a key complaint last time around was that the levels felt too large, and took too long to complete. Levels this time around are being streamlined to play much faster, and the pacing has also been adjusted to match.

There's a lot more to talk about on this one, but I humbly offer myself to the wolves in order to help answer your questions and say hello. As long as your question isn't "Sega y u do dis", and I can respond, I'll do my best to jump in!

- Aaron

RK128

Hey Neogaf!

It's been ages. Sorry for not posting sooner. :)

As some of you may have heard, I'm back at SEGA now. When they let me out of the cage, I even get to post about Sonic on the Facebooks and the Twitters and across the internets.

Today, I got totally free and I got to post this news about Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice. So far, It's a pretty solid game but
Sean Bean dies in the last cutscene. I am sorry, Sean Bean.

Real talk, though: notable changes to the formula this time over last year. I've been clarifying this around the net, but didn't want to forget you guys:

- No Wii U version this year (and no infinite Knuckles jump)
- Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice is being built by Sanzaru, who made Shattered Crystal last year.
- While Shattered Crystal was definitely the stronger of the two titles, there was still a fair bit that the teams wanted to change and improve. This time around, they're putting a lot of effort into taking fan and press feedback and building from it.

As an example, a key complaint last time around was that the levels felt too large, and took too long to complete. Levels this time around are being streamlined to play much faster, and the pacing has also been adjusted to match.

There's a lot more to talk about on this one, but I humbly offer myself to the wolves in order to help answer your questions and say hello. As long as your question isn't "Sega y u do dis", and I can respond, I'll do my best to jump in!

- Aaron

Thank you for posting here :D.

Great to hear that Sanzaru is taking feedback from the community, press and fans from the heart, leading to a stronger game this fall.

If you can answer this, that would be really cool of you: how is the collection system in Fire and Ice? What I mean, is that do you have to collect X amount of things to unlock the final level or is it like past Sonic tittles where you just have to clear the level to progress the game.

Thank you for your time and welcome to NeoGaf :D.

Top Bottom