• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice Review Thread

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Metacritic: 67 (14 reviews)

Previous Current-Gen Sonic Game Metacritics:
Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyrics: 32
Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal: 47
Sonic: Lost World: 63
Mario & Sonic 2014: 55
Mario & Sonic 2016: 64

Reviews:

IGN - 7.5
While Fire and Ice’s art direction and music are woefully generic, the well-constructed level layouts create a solid arcade-style experience that accomplishes a sense of extraordinary speed while accommodating a reasonable degree of control. Sonic Boom successfully draws from much of what makes the best of classic Sonic game play satisfying, sprinkles in a better-conceived exploratory structure, and remixes it into an intelligent, cohesive, and rewarding package.

Game Informer - 7
Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice is a big step in the right direction for the spinoff series. While it still has quirks, it's a fun, easy experience that anyone can play. Though I still vastly prefer the classic Sonic games, Fire & Ice is an enjoyable spinoff title that brings some great elements of those games back into the forefront.

Nintendo Life - 6
Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice is - rather like its predecessor - a solid effort and worth consideration on 3DS. The core campaign blends a variety of styles, with the main stages employing an enjoyable mix of exploration and puzzle solving with moments of satisfying momentum and speed. There are some slightly disappointing downsides, and it's a game that occasionally feels constrained rather than supported by its source material. Overall, however, it deserves credit for what it does well, and should certainly be tempting to fans of the show and also broader Sonic enthusiasts willing to accept its limitations.

Lazy Gamer - 3.9/10
Fire and Ice just isn't a good game. While its platforming may be mechanically sound, the game just tries to do too much - and fails at most of it. If you're looking for a return to form for Sonic the Hedgehog, Fire and Ice unfortunately isn't it.

Destructoid - 7
Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice isn't the worst Sonic game I've ever played. It isn't terrible. The platforming and sense of speed are here, though just not as fun as you might remember them. The whole affair is rather ugly -- which can't only be blamed on the 3DS, though it doesn't help -- and the game isn't exactly long at a few hours to complete, if that. Hardcore fans of the series will probably get some enjoyment out of this, but for the full price of $40, it is hard to recommend to anyone else. If you're desperate for another Sonic game, you could do worse.

XGN - 5.5/10
Sonic Boom Fire and Ice isn't a bad game. It is a short one, however. The fact that the game doesn't have much to offer in terms of content holds the game back quality-wise.

Gamer Revolution - 3.5/5
The younger players amongst us should have no trouble picking up and enjoying some Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice. It’s geared toward younger kids, and maybe as a 32-year-old man with nostalgia brain, I want to try something a bit more. It feels short with only a handful of hours to work through each stage, many of the stages feel the same, and while the platforming isn’t bad, it’s like a small piece of candy: It’s gone quickly, no matter how nice it might taste. The game is somewhere between the classic franchise titles and the modern ones, but it holds truer to the originals, and y’know, that’s a good enough start.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
My takeaway is that Sanzaru is probably a very safe choice to helm the Sonic Boom mainline games if they want to give them a reasonable budget.

JordanN

Banned
How does Sanzaru Games still manage to put out 2 mediocre Sonic games after they worked on Sly Cooper?

I don't want to believe the franchise is cursed because Sonic actually faired well on previous handhelds.

Kouichi

This is good to see since I expected an above average game that improves on the original. I might bite since I love the cartoon and would like to play a decently made Sonic game based on it.

Omitat

Neo Member
GameZone 8.5
While it's not perfect, the Boom universe character designs and portrayals are divisive, and the story is now more than ever a throwaway construct to move from point A to point B, Sonic Boom: Fire and Ice is definitely a great game. It has the speed and well-placed obstacles one would expect from a Sonic game, and the Fire and Ice mechanic is a nice way of adding an extra measure of skill. The Blue Blur hasn't been this much fun to control since his 2D heyday. Gotta go fast indeed.

Ridley327

How does Sanzaru Games still manage to put out 2 mediocre Sonic games after they worked on Sly Cooper?

I don't want to believe the franchise is cursed because Sonic actually faired well on previous handhelds.

Because being good at a 3D platformer isn't necessarily indicative of being good at a 2D platformer. This is the same issue that Armature ran into with into with Batman Arkham Origins - Blackgate, in which their skills of being involved on 3D Metroid games didn't help out a whole hell of a lot on moving to a 2D one.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Not surprised at all as it looked like to the exactly like the last game but with fire and ice gimmick.

Because Sanzaru Games don't understand how a Sonic game should play and instead keep opting for Metroid exploration gameplay style marred with terrible controls.

Yeah Sonic Colours was the last decent handheld Sonic game with Rush Adventure being the last original title.

I got it early in the mail from best buy yesterday, and I can echo these reviews that it is a competent sonic game that improves on the last one and has better level design, nice sense of speed, feels good to play, seems it will be a bit short as the stages aren't long (but if you played the last one the levels there were WAAAY too long), graphics are not the greatest and make the stages in a world feel samey. 6.5 or 7/10 is pretty accurate so far for me, if the last game was like 4/10 or so.

Edit: Also, it came in a boxed "launch edition" that has a dvd included with 3 episodes of the Sonic Boom cartoon.

Shiggy

Any indication Sanzaru really worked on this during the past year and that it wasn't just delayed for business reasons? The reviews indicate that it wasn't delayed to improve the game's quality.

J@hranimo

Banned
Ah yeah, figured this would be ok. Previous gameplay shown it would be a competent game.

Also funny that the best Sonic game for 3DS is a Sonic Boom game lol

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Any indication Sanzaru really worked on this during the past year and that it wasn't just delayed for business reasons? The reviews indicate that it wasn't delayed to improve the game's quality.

Given the length, I'd be surprised if it wasn't finished around a year ago, especially given their staff size versus the number of VR games they've making for Oculus.

Given the length, I'd be surprised if it wasn't finished around a year ago, especially given their staff size versus the number of VR games they've making for Oculus.

According to the digital instruction manual, there are 7 worlds, so looks like 30 something stages. It's just the stages themselves seem short so far (5 mins max for me). I'm guessing about 5 hours, less if it doesn't force you to collect all the doodads in the stages later to finish it.

Edit: According to the Destructoid review, the collectables are useless: "I stopped caring about the collectibles pretty early on considering they don't unlock anything more than different hammer textures for Amy, different bots for the racing levels (which requires two copies of the game locally for multiplayer), and behind-the-scenes content from the cartoon." But the real question, do you need them to unlock another 100% dance party? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJNgZymZX_M

JoeM86

Here's another

Nintendo Insider 7/10
Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice successfully builds on the lessons that were learned from identifying Shattered Crystal's faltered mistakes. With flashes of near brilliance, the sense of speed becomes an unrivalled thrill, even if that is best seen in the few Bot Racing stages. Brevity is the game's pitfall, but we expect some would argue that they would rather have a shorter, more polished adventure than a lacklustre, lengthier experience.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Mine, if interested:
Wiitalia: 6.5/10

Sonic Boom Fire & Ice is a good Sonic episode: not as good as Colors on Wii, but luckily not as bad as the previous Boom titles. It is suggested to Sonic fans but also to the hardcore platform lovers that, after the Nintendo first party best efforts, are still hungry for platformers.

Just bring back the Rush series already.
I'm not so sure if I'd be interested in another DIMPS Sonic.

Rush 1 was cheap in most levels, but at least they were fun, with an amazing soundtrack to boot.

Rush Adventure fixed most of those problems, but eventually went bad in the 2nd half, first half was really good, albeit material grinding did get annoying.

Colors DS was crap, every level was either too long, boring, filled with obnoxious gimmicks, or a combination of the 3. The only memorable thing was that Sonic's friends like Knuckles appeared.

Lost World 3DS is a game I consider to be on the same level as Sonic 06, I hate that game so much.

Doesn't sound a disaster at least,some pretty good reviews and some that clearly do not like it.Might wait for a price drop/sale on this one

Ridley327

Resumes/CVs and the date of the German age rating would also indicate that.
It would certainly fit Sega's MO from the past. Alpha Protocol was pretty notorious for being delayed a pretty long time from its original release date without any additional work being done on it.

Rush 1 was cheap in most levels, but at least they were fun, with an amazing soundtrack to boot.

Rush Adventure fixed most of those problems, but eventually went bad in the 2nd half, first half was really good, albeit material grinding did get annoying.

Colors DS was crap, every level was either too long, boring, filled with obnoxious gimmicks, or a combination of the 3. The only memorable thing was that Sonic's friends like Knuckles appeared.

Lost World 3DS is a game I consider to be on the same level as Sonic 06, I hate that game so much.

I dunno, I thought the difficulty increase in Rush Adventure was pretty natural and not even that steep, and Colors DS had a lot of great QOL changes like the stomp, homing attack and air boost, designing levels around them and the wisps fairly well.

If anything though I'd like to see another Advance styled game from Dimps. Despite birthing all of the notorious Dimps gimmicks they were very solid in their own right and felt like a good middle ground between old and new.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Seems like one the hardcore fans can enjoy, at least.

Unlikely as in this game Sonic is slow as fuck till you hold the run button, seriously why Sanzaru? Sonic is not Mario and has never needed a run button till of late and it's annoying as Sonic worked fine without it.

It really is a fun and serviceable Sonic game. It really is as short as they say, because my activity log time is 3:41 and I'm midway through world 5 (with most of the collectables too). Looks like there are only 6 worlds too, as the 7th listed in the instructions is some multiplayer bot racing nonsense hub. So each world has 4 proper stages, a boss, a race stage against a robot, a 3d tunnel stage ala sonic 2, and 2 tails minigame stages (hovercraft/sub). I think after playing more I'd revise my score down to a 6/10, because this is one ugly game. Also, the music is fine but not great. At least the story scenes are fully voiced and reasonably spaced apart and not too long, and video instead of talking head stills!

So it was even shorter than I thought, as world 6 only had the tunnel stage, the sub and hovercraft minigames, the race stage, and the final boss. That's right, world 6 had no traditional style Sonic stages at all! So the final count was 20 actual Sonic stages (each with a hidden challenge stage in the level), 6 race stages, 6 tunnel stages, 6 sub minigames, 6 hovercraft minigames, and 4 bosses (2 of the worlds have no boss). Final activity log time 5 hours 3 minutes with about 75% collectibles.

It was actually really fun though. No shitty stages at all. And the reviewer that complained that the blocks tell you when to use fire and ice powers was missing the point. This is not a puzzle platformer. The fire and ice powers are gameplay mechanics based on timing and reflexes, not intellect. (eg switching back and forth between them to navigate an obstacle-laden path)
My final score is 7/10, because I had fun and I was never once frustrated by shitty or broken game design, and considering how dire the last two Sonic Boom games were (the Wii U one a glitchy mess, the 3DS one a boring slog of copy paste level design), this one is a pleasant surprise; pretty good!

MrBadger

So it was even shorter than I thought, as world 6 only had the tunnel stage, the sub and hovercraft minigames, the race stage, and the final boss. That's right, world 6 had no traditional style Sonic stages at all! So the final count was 20 actual Sonic stages (each with a hidden challenge stage in the level), 6 race stages, 6 tunnel stages, 6 sub minigames, 6 hovercraft minigames, and 4 bosses (2 of the worlds have no boss). Final activity log time 5 hours 3 minutes with about 75% collectibles.

It was actually really fun though. No shitty stages at all. And the reviewer that complained that the blocks tell you when to use fire and ice powers was missing the point. This is not a puzzle platformer. The fire and ice powers are gameplay mechanics based on timing and reflexes, not intellect. (eg switching back and forth between them to navigate an obstacle-laden path)
My final score is 7/10, because I had fun and I was never once frustrated by shitty or broken game design, and considering how dire the last two Sonic Boom games were (the Wii U one a glitchy mess, the 3DS one a boring slog of copy paste level design), this one is a pleasant surprise; pretty good!

Disappointing to hear that there's only four bosses. The boss fights were the only part that really impressed me in pre-release footage. Still, this sounds like something that'd keep me entertained on a train journey. Might pick it up based on this post.

Gamecentral gave it 3/10 lol:

http://metro.co.uk/2016/09/28/game-review-sonic-boom-fire-ice-makes-some-elemental-mistakes-6158422/

In Short: Being better than the other Sonic Boom games really isn’t a compliment, as this dull, ugly platformer continues to sully the memory of Sega’s once great mascot.

Pros: Most of the faults from Shattered Crystal have been lessened enough to make the platforming acceptably playable. Boss battles are a relative highlight.

Cons: Bland and uninteresting from the very first moment, with insipid level design, pointless gimmicks, and weak graphics and art design.

Think I'll give this one a miss too.

Shiggy

After some more reviews, the review average is closer to what we are used to from Sonic games (62/100). Glad they took their time to polish the game.

Not too surprised the game's getting the scores it has. It may be more tolerable to play compared to the last two Boom titles, but that's really not saying much. In order for Fire & Ice to be a good game, it would have had to have been a major retooling of Shattered Crystal's game structure IMO (if not a complete break away from SC completely).

My takeaway is that Sanzaru is probably a very safe choice to helm the Sonic Boom mainline games if they want to give them a reasonable budget.

After how hard Rise of Lyric and SC tanked, I really doubt we will be seeing anymore Boom games (outside of possible smartphone titles, that is). The only reason Fire & Ice exists is arguably due to contractual obligations; and even though its a marked improvement over the past two games, I don't think it will be able to salvage the Boom label.

It's worth noting Fire & Ice was originally set for release last year around this time before the delay, which would had been barely one year after SC was released. That pretty much points to the game arguably starting development before the first two Boom games even got out the door; the notion of making a third Boom game after the first two games' reception would had been most assuredly inadmissible (though you never know with Sega).

More or less consigned with this. As uninterested I am with Sanzaru's work, a Dimps Sonic game to me has as much worth as no Sonic game at all. They could probably churn out a decent 2D Sonic fighter (they've been responsible for the DBZ fighters as well as the Street Fighter games as of SFIV); but they've had their chances at handheld/2D Sonic; and they proceeded to run it six feet underground.

Dimps' game design quality with Sonic games is tantamount to their (2D) level design--it only goes downhill. Don't give that studio the keys to make Sonic platformers anymore.

And on a less-related note, speaking of 2D gameplay...

IGN said:
Sonic Boom successfully draws from much of what makes the best of classic Sonic game play satisfying, sprinkles in a better-conceived exploratory structure, and remixes it into an intelligent, cohesive, and rewarding package.

It’s gone quickly, no matter how nice it might taste. The game is somewhere between the classic franchise titles and the modern ones, but it holds truer to the originals, and y’know, that’s a good enough start.

There's that misconception again...apparently only being in 2D and having Sonic is all it takes to make for "classic Sonic gameplay". They may as well be saying Sonic in Smash Bros. is classic Sonic gameplay too...

If they want an actual classic Sonic gameplay fix, they should have their eyeballs on Mania. Fire & Ice is based on another definition of 2D Sonic entirely (Rush and its derivatives).

MrBadger

For what it's worth, I did end up playing this and the 6's and 7's are about right. There's really nothing bad about it, it's just rather bland and really short. Nothing except the great boss fights (of which there are four) really stood out to me, but it was fun enough. Don't have much desire to 100% it, though.

Top Bottom