• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations Announced [PS3 / XBOX 360 / PC / 3DS] - No Wii Version Official

ShockingAlberto said:
It's bugged for certain cards because ~AMD~
Wait, I don't PC game a lot outside of Valve and old point-and-click titles, but is this a thing that actually happens a lot? I was banking on getting Generations for the PC due to the modding community and while it runs everything like Portal 2 at max settings while I'm balancing a million other things, I had no idea some companies were having issues with AMD cards.

I only have an AMD graphics card. :[
 
Dark Schala said:
Does Generations have a sound test menu? Guess not, huh?
In the 28 minute playthrough video, there was a point where Sonic ran into a house at the far left of the hub, and could pick music to listen to.


Dark Schala said:
Oh, I'm sorry. :( Are the 365 games ones sold out? The post seemed to apply to the other retailer. Oh well. They're clearly in demand.
I'm not 100% clear. I think it's come and gone there, but the site really isn't clear about it.

I would prefer to get one from the UK, I'm not exactly sure why, but I caved in and bought it from JB Hi-Fi, since they seemed to still have them available.


Dark Schala said:
I just wish we got a Collector's Edition here. I'd buy that in a heartbeat. *hint hint* Ruby... :p
I think the statue is the big limiter. It was made by First4Figures I believe, who regularly sells the several hundred dollar collector's statues, they probably had a limit on how many they could make in time.

But yes, that was a bad way to miss out on some US money. Not that I won't still be buying a US 360 version... and probably the PC version a little after that... ._.
 

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
You know, if it is $27 on steam ($30 - 10%), I'll get it day one.

Berordn said:
Er wait, D2D has the 3DS version's preview on the page. Someone dun goofed.
The Best Just Got Better: Iconic environments from gaming history come to life in beautiful HD for the ultimate Sonic adventure, each revisited, recreated and re-imagined with stunning results. Also, these environments are presented in stunning new stereoscopic 3D for a whole new way to play!
All New Experience: Play some of your gaming's most iconic environments in a whole new way with famous Sonic stages presented in stunning new stereoscopic 3D.
Two possibilities:
1) Someone done goofed with the feature list.
2) Sega for some random ass reason is doing a large push on the not yet announced 3D features in the game (Don't forget, you can actually play games in 3D on a PC with the right set up)
 
Drkirby said:
2) Sega for some random ass reason is doing a large push on the not yet announced 3D features in the game (Don't forget, you can actually play games in 3D on a PC with the right set up)

What unannounced 3D feature? The demo had a 3D option.
 

Teknoman

Member
Astrosanity said:
Wait, I don't PC game a lot outside of Valve and old point-and-click titles, but is this a thing that actually happens a lot? I was banking on getting Generations for the PC due to modding community and while it runs everything like Portal 2 at max settings while I'm balancing a million other things, I had no idea some companies were having issues with AMD cards.

I have an AMD graphics card. :[

I havent seen it happen alot...but it has happened recently with a few titles...and im not sure why. Usually its just during release week, but sometimes it can last longer.

EDIT: If you preorder it for 26 bucks, cant you get a refund if you dont use the code? I've already got the 360 version preordered elsewhere.
 
Astrosanity said:
Wait, I don't PC game a lot outside of Valve and old point-and-click titles, but is this a thing that actually happens a lot? I was banking on getting Generations for the PC due to the modding community and while it runs everything like Portal 2 at max settings while I'm balancing a million other things, I had no idea some companies were having issues with AMD cards.

I only have an AMD graphics card. :[
AMD is not as stringent with their driver updates as Nvidia, so sometimes developers that are not on top of things (i.e. id) when shipping a game mess up and the game is kind of bugged.

I have a Radeon, I know that feel.
 

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Kulock said:
In the 28 minute playthrough video, there was a point where Sonic ran into a house at the far left of the hub, and could pick music to listen to.
Ah, I skipped through that part, probably. Well, that's good. I'd like to have a hard copy of the soundtrack, though.

I think the statue is the big limiter. It was made by First4Figures I believe, who regularly sells the several hundred dollar collector's statues, they probably had a limit on how many they could make in time.

But yes, that was a bad way to miss out on some US money. Not that I won't still be buying a US 360 version... and probably the PC version a little after that... ._.
I see. I wouldn't mind not having the statue, though. I don't really have anywhere to put it. I'd like an artbook (spanning 20 years' worth of artwork), a documentary (if SEGA would even make one about the 20 years of Sonic so far), some trinkets and a soundtrack at a very reasonable price.

If it's a 20th Anniversary game, I'd expect a limited edition would demonstrate some aspect of it being an anniversary title. That's why I would purchase one.
 

RagnarokX

Member
I was just at Walmart, walking through the electronics section, when suddenly I heard Green Hill Zone music playing. I walk over to the PS3 display and they've got the Classic Sonic demo from this summer playing on it.
 

TheOGB

Banned
Yeah, I just played it (again) at Target today.

I loved how I was able to stare cross-eyed at the screen dead in front of me and still get a pretty good time, taking most of the high roads.
 
Sega is just amazing at bringing people's hopes up.
 

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So, I take it that its "Preorder Sonic Generations, get these games free" and "Buy Sonic Generations, get Sonic 1 Free" after the preorder is over.
 
I normally don't care about the fps for something like a platformer, but fans are almost guaranteed to find a way around a potential cap and bring it up to 60fps, right?

Modding back in the proper rolling mechanics and if they wind up being overdone modding out some of the speed boosts would also be nice.
 

TheOGB

Banned
Drkirby said:
So, I take it that its "Preorder Sonic Generations, get these games free" and "Buy Sonic Generations, get Sonic 1 Free" after the preorder is over.
I'm gonna be [even madder] that I spent money on Sonic Adventure then


I swear to god, this game had better be a better port than fucking SA1 2011. The configuration better actually work! :mad:
 

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Oh god, I would be pissed if it isn't a proper port. But Sega has had a decent history with its normal PC releases, like the PC Port of Virtua Tennis 4.

I wonder if the game will have Steamwork or GFWL. I am pretty sure Sonic CD's PC version is Steamworks, Shogun II was Steamworks, so there is a good chance.
 
More importantly, what TF2 items will we unlock from it?

"Speeder's Sneaks: RED/BLU streak, speeds by..."
"The Doctor's Decoration: A fine mustache that fits any man of science." (Would cause a renewed rush for Hatless Engineer.)

Also make a Medigun skin with a Chaos Emerald embedded in it.
 
Kulock said:
More importantly, what TF2 items will we unlock from it?

"Speeder's Sneaks: RED/BLU streak, speeds by..."
"The Doctor's Decoration: A fine mustache that fits any man of science." (Would cause a renewed rush for Hatless Engineer.)

Also make a Medigun skin with a Chaos Emerald embedded in it.

Me and my chat buddies were discussing Amy's Hammer replacing Pyro's Fire Axe. Every time you hit something it makes a squeak-toy noise and little hearts fly off.
 

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Drkirby said:
Oh god, I would be pissed if it isn't a proper port. But Sega has had a decent history with its normal PC releases, like the PC Port of Virtua Tennis 4.

I wonder if the game will have Steamwork or GFWL. I am pretty sure Sonic CD's PC version is Steamworks, Shogun II was Steamworks, so there is a good chance.

Nabs has taken away the speculation:

Nabs said:
Hmmm. Random list of countries... that must mean... (deep sigh)

Games for Windows Live, good lord. I'll still bite, whatever. Let's just hope it's 60fps and I'm sold.

The game is randomly restricted to the same countries that GFWL is only available in. The odds are pretty high it will be GFWL.
 
Sega1991 said:
Me and my chat buddies were discussing Amy's Hammer replacing Pyro's Fire Axe. Every time you hit something it makes a squeak-toy noise and little hearts fly off.

And it would do no damage whatsoever, perfect for Valve's current idea of the Pyro!
 

TheOGB

Banned
morningbus said:
The game is randomly restricted to the same countries that GFWL is only available in. The odds are pretty high it will be GFWL.
No no no no no no no NO NO NOOOOOO



but do want TF2 items :p
 

DeVeAn

Member
Ruby, I really need to get the Sonic OST's. Especially the anniversary one for Sonic 1 and 2. Importing these is expensive and a pain. Anyway to get these for the US? Or at least pass the word up? I know colors is on iTunes so there is hope right?
 

JonCha

Member
Iknos said:
So they redid the controls after the negative feedback from the demo?

Did they improve the level design too?

Check out the leaked footage if you want to see what this game is going to look like.
 

Berordn

Member
Drkirby said:
You know, if it is $27 on steam ($30 - 10%), I'll get it day one.


Two possibilities:
1) Someone done goofed with the feature list.
2) Sega for some random ass reason is doing a large push on the not yet announced 3D features in the game (Don't forget, you can actually play games in 3D on a PC with the right set up)
It also says "Street Pass: Collect new content and unlock bonus material, increasing variety, interaction and replayability." I hope it's wrong, anyway. I don't want to haul my desktop everywhere.

Still, if the PC version is going for 30 and it shows up on Steam like the beta registry listing hints, day 0 for me.
 
The sonic generations LE is expensive but you do get a fair bit, a rare numbered ring, a rather awesome sonic statue which you can't buy anywhere, the music cd (rather basic but still nice like the SA2 10th cd) and the CE version of the game with the casino night dlc.

Worth it to a sonic fan like myself imo, the sonic statue will look good.

It helps that I am getting mine for £76 too.
 
Should I just get the PS3 Collector's Edition? I'm not missing out on anything if I don't get the Xbox 360 one correct? I just don't want to risk not being able to play it on my US Xbox 360
 

ShadiWulf

Member
Klaymator14 said:
Should I just get the PS3 Collector's Edition? I'm not missing out on anything if I don't get the Xbox 360 one correct? I just don't want to risk not being able to play it on my US Xbox 360
The contents of both versions are identical, unless you care about avatar stuff
 
And it's not looking to be another Unleashed situation where the Xbox 360 one performs better? And yeah, I can care less about avatar items
 

OMG Aero

Member
Klaymator14 said:
And it's not looking to be another Unleashed situation where the Xbox 360 one performs better? And yeah, I can care less about avatar items
The Xbox 360 demo performed significantly better for me than the PS3 demo but who knows how much bearing that has on the final version.

Speaking of which, is the Xbox 360 collector's edition actually still available anywhere in the UK? I'd like to at least think about getting it but I don't think I've ever seen the 360 version in stock anywhere.
 

ShadiWulf

Member
Klaymator14 said:
And it's not looking to be another Unleashed situation where the Xbox 360 one performs better? And yeah, I can care less about avatar items
People who have played the latest builds at gamescom, eurogamer and such say that they don't notice any difference between the builds, but I can't tell you for sure.
 

JonCha

Member
OMG Aero said:
The Xbox 360 demo performed significantly better for me than the PS3 demo but who knows how much bearing that has on the final version.

Speaking of which, is the Xbox 360 collector's edition actually still available anywhere in the UK? I'd like to at least think about getting it but I don't think I've ever seen the 360 version in stock anywhere.

Amazon is the only place stocking it atm and they only have PS3 copies in. Really, I'd be surprised if GAME don't stock it closer to release.
 

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
JonCha said:
Amazon is the only place stocking it atm and they only have PS3 copies in. Really, I'd be surprised if GAME don't stock it closer to release.
I am really surprised that GAME doesn't seem to have them in right now. I would have ordered from them because I've had good experiences importing from them before.

I mostly want the soundtrack. >.>
 

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
Dark Schala said:
Does Generations have a sound test menu? Guess not, huh?
You'll have to wait and see on that one. All I can say is that there are all sorts of really cool extras in the game. No more specifics yet, but fans will definitely enjoy them.

There's also another unique element of this game that I find myself smiling about anytime I think on it. It's a game about the Generations of Sonic - about remembering the best of the past while still enjoying the best of the new.

And yet at the same time it's also a game about the Generations of Sonic's fans, too. You remember when you heard that Endless Mine section in the City Escape 2D remix? That was lovingly crafted in there by a fan who used to play Sonic on Genesis, now all grown up. All of us who represent what was once the 'younger' Generation of Sonic fans are now reaching our mid 20's, and here, we have the honor of meeting and working with the older Generations, together, to create a Sonic game that everyone can enjoy.

Just random musings, I guess - but I hope more of you will someday find your way into the industry, if not to SEGA, so the trend can continue. : )
 

M3d10n

Member
If there is really a PC version it's day zero for me. How many years has it been since we had a 60fps 3D Sonic game again?
 

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
M3d10n said:
If there is really a PC version it's day zero for me. How many years has it been since we had a 60fps 3D Sonic game again?
Sonic Heroes came out 2004, Shadow the Hedgehog if you want to count that one was 2005.
 

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
M3d10n said:
How many years has it been since we had a 60fps 3D Sonic game again?
oh, why set yourself up for such anger and disappointment like that? it's not healthy!
 

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I don't understand though, why Sega doesn't offer an option to tone down details (even in console versions) of modern Sonics to achieve 60fps. I'd prefer lower res textures and less detailed environments at 60 fps over the great visuals Sonic Generations offer at just 30 fps every day.

Varjet said:
You want to count Sonic 2006 as 60 fps? It was anywhere form 10 to 60 fps, but 60 fps was the exception rather than the rule.

EDIT: If you do, shouldn't you also count Sonic Unleashed on PS3, which, albeit being totally instable, sometimes gets up to 60 fps?
 
Top Bottom