• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations Announced [PS3 / XBOX 360 / PC / 3DS] - No Wii Version Official

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
ShadiWulf said:
Ruby is no longer a community manager. He is now associate brand manager of Sonic Generations...

as he says in his blog post... "bittersweet" he has done a lot for SEGA fans and will be missed. On the bright side though... Sonic Generations and Sonic in general is looking like he is going to have a bright future.

http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2011/05/05/so-you-want-to-work-at-sega-final-entry-moving-forward/

Congrats, Ruby! Don't forget GAF (and don't forget what Sonic's eye colour is supposed to be like!) :D

SykoTech

ShadiWulf said:
Ruby is no longer a community manager. He is now associate brand manager of Sonic Generations...[/url]

So he'll be Associate Brand Manager of all future Sonic games then? Hopefully that will increase his influence on them.

Good luck Ruby, but do remember to keep in touch with GAF. No more blog posts or modrating the official forums is understandable, but you gotta drop by here every now and again. ;)

Ruby, congratulations on your new role! You've demonstrated a lot of enthusiasm, patience and been a really great communicator with Sonic fans over the last few years. I know I'm ususally a vocal, moaning git when it comes to Sonic, but I tremendously appreciate the many questions you've answered for us.

You've clearly got a great understanding for the classic Sonic games and why they were so awesome, and I can only see your new role being beneficial to Sega. Best of luck!

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
Thank you guys so much for all the posts and well-wishes.

It's been a pleasure getting to meet and interact with you all here on GAF. While it's true I probably won't post as much soon, I certainly won't forget about you guys. (Nor could I!)

Even if I'm not commenting on your posts as much, know that I, and many others here at SEGA who work on Sonic, will always be reading them. You guys are a valued part of the Sonic community, especially on the Classic front, and we'll always be looking for your feedback.

Anth0ny

RubyEclipse said:

It's been a pleasure getting to meet and interact with you all here on GAF. While it's true I probably won't post as much soon, I certainly won't forget about you guys. (Nor could I!)

Even if I'm not commenting on your posts as much, know that I, and many others here at SEGA who work on Sonic, will always be reading them. You guys are a valued part of the Sonic community, especially on the Classic front, and we'll always be looking for your feedback.

Awesome. Congrats on the promotion!

So does this mean there won't be anyone championing the Phantasy Star series at Sega, now that Ruby has moved up? Ruby seemed to be the last person to actually care about that series.

Azure Phoenix said:
So does this mean there won't be anyone championing the Phantasy Star series at Sega, now that Ruby has moved up? Ruby seemed to be the last person to actually care about that series.
Dark Falz is more powerful than I realized.

RubyEclipse said:

Even though I'm pretty cynical, that's nice to hear.

TheOGB

Banned
RubyEclipse said:

Congratulations, Ruby. :D

Azure Phoenix said:

PSO2! believe!

V_Ben

Banned
RubyEclipse said:

Congratulations man, can't wait to see what you get up to :D

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Azure Phoenix said:
Boo. I hope PS, PSO and PSP continue to get support in some fashion, though. I really like the series and I don't want it to go away (or go the way of how Tales did in NA for a few years where I had to import most of the games I wanted).

RubyEclipse said:
This gives me a little hope. Try to pop in every now and then if it's possible--I really appreciated your answers to our questions. Can't wait to see what you'll be up to in the future. Good luck once again, and I wish you all the best. :)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Apparently, Australia's classification board rated something called "Sonic Generations (Demo)", and deemed it acceptable for all ages.

Source: Siliconera

Siliconera said:
Can’t say we’re shocked since Sega released downloadable demos for Sonic the Hedgehog (the 2006 game with Silver) and Sonic Unleashed. But, why would the Classification Board rate it now? Seems a bit early unless Sega is going to surprise Sonic fans by releasing the E3 demo on PlayStation Network and Xbox Live during the show. That’s just a guess, though, Sega has not confirmed or announced a demo for Sonic Generations.

gCcW6.png

SykoTech

Well, Sonic 4 got leaked last year and a lot of feedback came from the leaked build (lol, minecart). Maybe Sega's just going to freely give it to us this time so we can tell them what's right and what's wrong again. :p

Diablohead said:
Hopefully this is to get feedback on flaws too, I mean it sega...

A demo for classic GHZ would really showcase Sega's intent to get this shit right for all the old-school fans out there.

Well, Sonic 4 got leaked last year and a lot of feedback came from the leaked build (lol, minecart). Maybe Sega's just going to freely give it to us this time so we can tell them what's right and what's wrong again. :p

XBLA games can't have demos (before the release date) so Sega was kind of stuck on that one.

SykoTech said:
It's going to be the same as the trailer last week so 1 height bouncing, set animation spin speed when jumping, uncurling... fml

Diablohead said:
It's going to be the same as the trailer last week so 1 height bouncing, set animation spin speed when jumping, uncurling... fml

I thought the 1st level play through level was generally accepted as good. Maybe I missed all the diagrams in the earlier posts like there were for Sonic 4. I need to keep up with this thread more.

I'm still interested in a demo if there is one out there.

xprs22

Neo Member
Upsidedown Fuji said:
I thought the 1st level play through level was generally accepted as good. Maybe I missed all the diagrams in the earlier posts like there were for Sonic 4. I need to keep up with this thread more.

I'm still interested in a demo if there is one out there.

It is, but it could also use more polish. I remember how ecstatic I was while playing Sonic Unleashed only to have that excitement drop with each passing level beginning with Empire City. The level design was continuously improving, but so were the unstable frame rate occurrences.

G0523

Sega1991 said:
I'm willing to bet that if we're going to get a demo, it'll drop on June 23rd.

At least, that's what I would hope.
That'd be pretty cool and somewhat likely. Sega could even "pull an EA" and have the demo up for only that day...or week.

3DS-bound bitches!

My local GameStop/EBGames in Canada gave me a just-printed copy of their schedule (their websites suck for new game findings), and I spotted this beauty:

Release Date - Description - System - Price - SKU

12/31/11 - SONIC GENERATIONS - 3DS - 39.99 - 7031719

Looks like this could be NP's announcement. It's not in the Wii or DS list BTW.

Edit: 3DS list sheet:

http://i55.tinypic.com/14d3qpz.png

nns3d

So the other day I was on Sonic Retro's info page when I ran into some old Sonic concept art. Personally I've never hated Modern Sonic's design, but after looking at these...

Sonicguide5.jpg

Sonicguide6.jpg

Sonicguide32.jpg

Sonicguide31.jpg

... I can definitely see where the classic fans are coming from when they say that the classic design is more appealing.

Hero of Legend said:
3DS-bound bitches!

My local GameStop/EBGames in Canada gave me a just-printed copy of their schedule (their websites suck for new game findings), and I spotted this beauty:

I think that'd tip me into buying a 3DS. After all, Sonic Rush's 2005 release forced my hand with a purchase of the electric blue DS shortly after its release.

Lijik

Afrocentric-Asian said:
So the other day I was on Sonic Retro's info page when I ran into some old Sonic concept art. Personally I've never hated Modern Sonic's design, but after looking at these...

... I can definitely see where the classic fans are coming from when they say that the classic design is more appealing.
458px-Sonicguide29.jpg

Blueblur1

Hero of Legend said:
3DS-bound bitches!

Hmmm, so I wonder if it's going to be similar to the console version.

Visually, I actually prefer modern Sonic myself. Classic Sonic is still great though.

I think the problem for most people lies in the fact that classic Sonic was much more cartoon-like (exaggerated squash and stretch in the jumps, super expressive) whereas modern Sonic is more "realistic". Well, as realistic as a giant blue anthropomorphic hedgehog can be, but the point still stands. I too would like to see some of classic Sonic's charm injected into modern Sonic's animations and such (although I do prefer the arms behind ninja run of modern Sonic, they can keep that).

On the game itself, I hope that the modern sections play more like Colors than Unleashed. Unleashed for me was all over the place in terms of having too much speed, you couldn't even see anything half the time. Colors toned it down a lot and paced itself a lot better, in my opinion.

Also, congrats on the promotion Ruby. You did an awesome job with the community back when you were a PSU GM (played the ill-fated PC version), and I wish you luck in your new role.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Blueblur1 said:
Hmmm, so I wonder if it's going to be similar to the console version.
It could be like Colours DS (aka Sonic Rush 3), with somewhat different levels, powerups, etc. But we'll see.

Interesting that it might be for 3DS.

Ahhh, I love Felix the Cat/Mickey Mouse Sonic. He's so adorable and quite expressive.

Teknoman

SykoTech said:
Modern Sonic plays like Rush, Classic Sonic plays like Advance 1?

Being on the 3DS I would hope they would take advantage of the system and provide colors style gameplay (behind the back as well) for modern Sonic.

TheOGB

Banned
Teknoman said:
Being on the 3DS I would hope they would take advantage of the system and provide colors style gameplay (behind the back as well) for modern Sonic.
I'd say the DS could probably handle Colors itself. I'm excited to see how it will turn out, and if it will be similar to (or better than) the game I imagined Unleashed DS would be.

It was kinda shit

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
I'll admit I always wanted a portable 3D Sonic platformer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bCefT3uKHs The 3DS can easily handle graphics like that. Of course no thank you to all touch-screen controls, theres an analog now and it's time for them to use it.

Then again when I wanted the PSP Sonic to be like a 3D platformer before there was any info on it and it turned into Sonic Rivals...

nns3d

Showmeyamoves said:
I'll admit I always wanted a portable 3D Sonic platformer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bCefT3uKHs The 3DS can easily handle graphics like that. Of course no thank you to all touch-screen controls, theres an analog now and it's time for them to use it.

Then again when I wanted the PSP Sonic to be like a 3D platformer before there was any info on it and it turned into Sonic Rivals...

I almost forgot about the DS prototype game. Graphics still hold up.

Also, is that City Escape I hear as the BGM?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Teknoman said:
They could do that... or they might take advantage of the accelerometer and gyro sensor to produce less-than-stellar results.

I'm kidding. I hope SEGA would do the things you've mentioned. 3DS is capable of it, I feel.

Edit: Pokecapn & Crew experience the gravitational horrors of Asteroid Coaster.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Looking at those sketches, I don't blame my 5-year-old-self for thinking that Robotnik might've been a walrus.

Hello all, new member here. I've been lurking for while, but I decided to get in on the action.

AlphaDragoon said:
(although I do prefer the arms behind ninja run of modern Sonic, they can keep that).

Interesting, that is one of the biggest reasons I dislike modern Sonic.

sonic_gen.jpg

It looks like Modern's arms are flapping around in the wind, while Classic's arms look more dynamic. Even when he has them tucked when running, it looks like he has control of them.

Also, about this 3DS business: I'm hoping for a different game than generations, I think that game suits the home console better. Not that it really matters, I'm not wealthy enough to own a 3DS right now.

But will classic Sonic go Super? Because then there isn't too much of a difference - hell, classic Super Sonic actually does glide along with his arms behind him.

Scullibundo said:
But will classic Sonic go Super? Because then there isn't too much of a difference - hell, classic Super Sonic actually does glide along with his arms behind him.

True, he does, but his legs are also behind him. It doesn't seem as odd when he is flying because it looks balanced. I think that it looks more natural than a superman pose or something.

low-G

Scullibundo said:

They will merge to become Super Sonic.

Like this:

Rb4Ip.jpg

Top Bottom