• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations Announced [PS3 / XBOX 360 / PC / 3DS] - No Wii Version Official

City Escape had to of been one of the first zones Sonic Team chose and started working on for this game. It doesn't exactly put my mind at ease given the series' history if one of the big name zones I can see them using in advertisements to sell the game to Dreamcast/early-GCN era fans will potentially be littered with game-breaking bugs.

Nobody's reported any glitches with Classic Sonic, right? Ignoring seemingly intentional design decisions like his bounce being a set height or scripted events.

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
Not to nitpick or anything, but why is it that no one at either Sega or DIMPS can grasp the concept of staying in a ball when coming out of a ramp?
For Episode 1 it was supposedly because they wanted to encourage using the homing attack. Here it makes absolutely no sense.

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
Seems like a straight up remake of GHZ Act 1, actually.
Whoops, you're right. I guess it didn't click because they specifically said they weren't doing that. The ending where he's way high up still looks weird to me, though. It's also telling that they stuck that trapezoid of rings up there, but Sonic can't pick up enough speed to actually get them.

clav

3DS version is awful. You must be crazy if you buy this over the 360/PS3 versions unless you don't have either of those consoles.

Sciz said:
It wouldn't surprise me if they pushed the Colors DS team straight over to this and they've been incredibly stressed trying to put together a full game on new hardware in under a year.
That sucks. Wasn't Colors DS meant to be a pretty good game? (Or at least was if you were a fan of Rush, which I am)

With more time or hell just given a bit more freedom and common sense Generations 3DS could of looked so much nicer. I'd of preferred 2D graphics if that's the most Dimps can manage for polygonal graphics on such short notice for starters.

Lijik

Astrosanity said:
That sucks. Wasn't Colors DS meant to be a pretty good game? (Or at least was if you were a fan of Rush, which I am)

With more time or hell just given a bit more freedom and common sense Generations 3DS could of looked so much nicer. I'd of preferred 2D graphics if that's the most Dimps can manage for polygonal graphics on such short notice for starters.
Colors DS is my favorite rush style Sonic game. Its really good, and doesnt have the frustration of Rush 1 and the fluff of Rush 2.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Kard8p3 said:
Don't know if it's been posted but here's footage of the 3DS version
Classic sonic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIau-_VQWy4

Modern sonic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU3oFpF1Vt0
Late, but the 3DS version looks awful.

Seriously reconsidering on getting both 3DS and HD versions now, and just getting the HD version instead.
-Uncurling still present
-glitching present
-there's probably a whole assortment of things I haven't touched upon

Kulock said:
This... was probably not the type of thing they wanted IGN to see:

http://www.tssznews.com/2011/06/10/e3-video-city-escape-breaks-during-live-ign-demo/
Yeouch. Like you and the commenter said, SEGA probably added the boosters in to make it work for the demo...

Nabs

Dark Schala said:
Late, but the 3DS version looks awful.

Seriously reconsidering on getting both 3DS and HD versions now, and just getting the HD version instead.
-Uncurling still present
-glitching present
-there's probably a whole assortment of things I haven't touched upon

Yeouch.

3ds version is basically sonic 4 with a new (old) coat of paint. don't buy it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Nabs said:
3ds version is basically sonic 4 with a new (old) coat of paint. don't buy it.
Ah, but I have a history of playing and finishing shitty games (some of which you can see here in this old post (I am now finished Sonic Chronicles and nearly finished FFIVCC PSP)) so I think I'll still buy the 3DS version eventually. :/

qq more

Just watched the 3DS version vid of Green Hill Zone. And I gotta say that this is shameful. Why are they using Sonic 4's physics? Why does Sonic pick up speed quicker for no reason when he's in midair? Why is uncurling still there even though there's no homing attack to "justify" it? And why oh why do loss rings fall through the ground making it impossible to recollect them?

What a mess. Guess I won't be buying the 3DS version and gonna just stick with the PS3 version.

RaGe_pt said:
Looks amazing, brings me so many good memories! Did it get a release date?

Not an official one, but Gamestop (they've since changed it to December 31st) and Amazon had it listed as a November 22nd release.

Lijik

Dark Schala said:
Ah, but I have a history of playing and finishing shitty games (some of which you can see here in this old post (I am now finished Sonic Chronicles and nearly finished FFIVCC PSP)) so I think I'll still buy the 3DS version eventually. :/
You just inadvertantly reminded me of all of the incredible games in my backlog while Shadow sits on my gamecube memory card fully completed.

Im such a sucker for getting a laugh from shitty games

DeVeAn

Diablohead said:
Sonic adventure speed runs were all about instant spindash spamming, sonic generations will be the same :|
Oh I agree, but it shouldn't hurt anyone's enjoyment of the game unless you want to hold a record and refuse to use the button. I will not be playing the game for speed run records but that's me.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Lijik said:
You just inadvertantly reminded me of all of the incredible games in my backlog while Shadow sits on my gamecube memory card fully completed.

Im such a sucker for getting a laugh from shitty games
I swear that's why I play them. They're frustrating, but the source of the frustration is often hilarious! I call it "adding to my repertoire and resume", to be honest with you. Playing through Shadow alone was hilarious enough. XD

I just realized that I neglected to add Virtual Hydlide on there, though that may have been because I didn't count it as an RPG like I did with Zelda II. Virtual Hydlide is a whole new brand of suck.

Professor Beef said:
God Damn, Schala. And I thought I played a lot of RPGs. I'm just gonna slink back into the Digital World. .__.
Nooooo! Now who's going to make me crave for some chips? ;_;

I know that there are people on this board who have played far more than I have, even with the games that I omitted like I mentioned towards the bottom of the post.

Edit: To be honest, every time I stare at that list, I can't believe how many I've played even with omissions. I played most of them when I was younger, but I can't do as much (console) gaming now because I juggle school, work, workouts and other stuff.

Kai

I gotta be honest - I played both sections multiple times this weekend and I honestly thought the modern Sonic levels were, dare I say it, better....

The issue is the old Sonic definitely feels like OG sonic - but it feels so primitive in comparison and almost limiting. The modern Sonic parts feel like they never went "off the rails" too much so the rampant camera issues, random falling off a cliff, horrible camera of recent past (though much better in Colors) were non-existent. Basically the Modern sonic stuff was very tight and therefore the new tropes of sonic like the homing attack and speed boost helped make the gameplay more fun and interactive (as opposed to just watching sonic run fast). That's why in comparison, the classic Sonic stuff just felt so limiting - although fans of platforming and careful jumping will love the classic sonic stages because you have to be pretty careful now due to the old-school (yet limiting) play-style.

Kai

Oh and btw - yah the 3DS version seemed like a cheap knock off. The Modern Sonic stuff was just the classic sonic stuff with the homing attack added in (ala Sonic 4). The stages were also super short - at least it felt that way. Going from trying Mario 3DS directly to playing this made me kind of feel bad for the effort being put into the 3DS version.

ShadiWulf

SEGA not interested in a Wii U port. If you are still holding out you should go buy a 360 or a PS3 so you can play the demo which will be coming out soon =P

GS: Will Sonic Generations be released for the Wii U?

AP: The timing just doesn't work. Generations releases this November, and the Wii U is coming out next spring/summer. I think one of the things we don't have to do, or reduce where possible, is we don't want to port games. I think if there's going to be a Sonic game for the Wii U, it needs to be built from the ground up. It's more likely that it would be a separate stand-alone installment or in conjunction with a multiplatform release in the future. But to bring out Generations on a platform six or eight months after we release PS3, 360, and 3DS probably won't be the best strategy.

http://e3.gamespot.com/story/631857...hard-talks-aliens-colonial-marines-used-sales

J@hranimo

Banned
Yeah 3DS version is looking kinda meh. For once Modern > Classic in this version.

I did find this video of the Modern Sonic Green Hill Zone and it has much better quality of the awesome Green Hill Zone remix music!

DeVeAn

Kai said:
Oh and btw - yah the 3DS version seemed like a cheap knock off. The Modern Sonic stuff was just the classic sonic stuff with the homing attack added in (ala Sonic 4). The stages were also super short - at least it felt that way. Going from trying Mario 3DS directly to playing this made me kind of feel bad for the effort being put into the 3DS version.
Are you SonicKai on youtube? Kinda random I know.

Ground-up Wii U Sonic game? Music to my ears. Honestly I'd take that over a port in all honesty. I'd kill to see what Sega can do with the Wii U's supposed superior power over the PS360, and they CAN really push hardware when doing exclusives, look at SR, BK, and Colors.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
ShadiWulf said:
SEGA not interested in a Wii U port. If you are still holding out you should go buy a 360 or a PS3 so you can play the demo which will be coming out soon =P

Gamespot said:
GS: Will Sonic Generations be released for the Wii U?

AP: The timing just doesn't work. Generations releases this November, and the Wii U is coming out next spring/summer. I think one of the things we don't have to do, or reduce where possible, is we don't want to port games. I think if there's going to be a Sonic game for the Wii U, it needs to be built from the ground up. It's more likely that it would be a separate stand-alone installment or in conjunction with a multiplatform release in the future. But to bring out Generations on a platform six or eight months after we release PS3, 360, and 3DS probably won't be the best strategy.

http://e3.gamespot.com/story/631857...hard-talks-aliens-colonial-marines-used-sales
And it should remain that way. I didn't they'd port to WiiU, just because it doesn't line up with the anniversary considering WiiU's tentative release window. I guess that's what teh 3DS version was for. Interesting they're not going to release a Sonic Colours or Sonic _____ for Wii, though.

I completely agree with their "no port" sentiment. SEGA's first Sonic game for WiiU should be an original, built-from-ground-up affair, rather than the other HD systems' seconds. Colours worked so well because it was built for Wii specifically.

NTom64

J@hranimo said:
I did find this video of the Modern Sonic Green Hill Zone and it has much better quality of the awesome Green Hill Zone remix music!

Dat riff!

Loving the soundtrack so far, both Classic and Modern versions set the tone perfectly.

Lijik

Dark Schala said:
I swear that's why I play them. They're frustrating, but the source of the frustration is often hilarious! I call it "adding to my repertoire and resume", to be honest with you. Playing through Shadow alone was hilarious enough. XD
Thats actually why i beat Shadow. The game's entire setup is fucking nonsensical. Even when you take a straight line the plot is a bunch of nonsequtirs with hammy as shit va and writing, it gets more insane when you start zigzagging willy nilly, the game will switch partners for you for what seems at random at first, the partners tend to have dumbass goals and will yell at you for attacking enemies trying to kill you or say unintentionally hilarious things. Then theres the graphics which tends to have geometry and textures that are dreamcast quality, blatantly reused assets, and Shadow Androids that are just lower poly Shadows. Since its not as busted as 2006 the entire game lends itself immensly to MST3king it. When me and my mates hung out itd sometimes get busted out and id be the masochist to play it while we all riffed on the nonsense.

Dark Schala said:
And it should remain that way. I didn't they'd port to WiiU, just because it doesn't line up with the anniversary considering WiiU's tentative release window. I guess that's what teh 3DS version was for. Interesting they're not going to release a Sonic Colours or Sonic _____ for Wii, though.

I completely agree with their "no port" sentiment. SEGA's first Sonic game for WiiU should be an original, built-from-ground-up affair, rather than the other HD systems' seconds. Colours worked so well because it was built for Wii specifically.

I'd love to see Colors 2 for Wii U.

I may be a tad tired of the Unleashed-style of gameplay (much prefer SA-style), but on the Wii U's hardware, orgasmic.

But also, I'd love most of all if they went back to SA's direction (not necessarily as SA3), just with that similar style, and PLEASE stop with this Sonic-only stance, I want to be Tails, Knux, or even Shadow as a reskin with his voice, just increase the variety in playable characters.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Liked act 1 of the 3DS version.
Act 2 was shitty boost boost boost boost boost modern Sonic garbage.

Edit: What the dickshitting camelfuck at that video? That's.. that's insanity. Or genius. I'm not sure which it is. And was that Jim Sterling headbanging to the shitty rock music at the beginning?

oh lawd

voyant

Banned
I gotta say watching that new footage of city escape...I dunno about you guys but that stage didn't seem that boost centric.

Infact I would say its was way closer to adventure style than anything...which is a bit of a mind fuck considering that they took more inspiration from unleashed...It guess to show you that SA style gameplay isn't THAT FAR OFF from Unleashed style once it has proper tighter Adventure like controls at low speeds.

Oh no, what have I done
ohdear.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvHCQuxh3XQ

Sciz

Sega1991 said:
Oh no, what have I done
ohdear.png
A good thing.

Dark Schala said:
I'm surprised they didn't unveil the game's theme song at E3/Sonic Boom, or did I miss it somewhere? I'm just curious about it--want to see if it's going to be good or not.
I make one completely safe prediction and it ends up being wrong. :mad:

No, it didn't crop up anywhere, unless you count the Sonic 1 & 2 title screen theme being reused. We didn't start getting zone specific trailers like this for Colors and Unleashed until a lot closer to launch, so they've changed up their marketing strategy a bit. But I guess the zones in this game are the most exciting thing they could possibly show off.

nns3d

LTTP but watching the 3DS videos, I'm really likin how the GHZ music's arranged for Classic & Modern. With that said, the levels themselves seem really empty. Classic Sonic's just the original GHZ. I don't mind when they take certain aspects of a level, afterall this is supposed to be a throwback title. However, literally taking every part of the level's just... lazy.

If they're gonna derive from other handheld titles, I hope they use Sunset Park. Specifically the section when Sonic's running on that train.

SwiftSketcher said:
First off, you are great.

Also, this makes me think they originally had that song attached and changed it for whatever reason. Sooo much better than the official one.

Well, I did some light editing to the order and length of some scenes, trying to get it to sync up to the music better.

I would've done an even better job if I didn't have to rely on the pre-existing trailer footage. Despite my best efforts, most of the trailer still isn't edited to the beat of the music very well and there are a few scenes that cut way too quickly.

There were also a few sounds I forgot to redub, like Classic Sonic's skateboard.

Top Bottom