• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations Announced [PS3 / XBOX 360 / PC / 3DS] - No Wii Version Official

bolt7

Banned
JonCha said:
Hey, you want to know what's coming on Thursday?

So the 20th anniversary goodie is an iPhone app? At least it's free, I guess. Still, would've loved a Generations demo (but sometimes it isn't up to the developer when content like this gets released- processing stuff on XBL and PSN can take a while, iirc.)

Also, why the 'sketch hog?' Am I missing something obvious here?

ShadiWulf

The app is probably Japan only. Sketch Sonic looks like the picture they use for their Sonic blog.

I don't think that was the announcement. so don't get all riled up and angry just yet. It's not "tomorrow" in Japan yet.

bolt7

Banned
ShadiWulf said:
The app is probably Japan only. Sketch Sonic looks like the picture they use for their Sonic blog.

Oh wait, that's right! I believe that little sketch Sonic has been a mascot of theirs for a while too (and he's also included in the Japanese manuals of the old 16-bit Sonic titles demonstrating how to play.)

Lijik

Sega of Japan's Sonic cake:
17.jpg

Sega of America's Sonic cake:
14av12p.jpg

Why are we so far behind in Sonic Cake technology

DeVeAn

Dark Schala said:
They may be overpriced, but you've gotta know where to look and run around to get discounts. I just import mine from either Play-Asia, Amazon Japan or CDJapan. I import RPG soundtracks and Sonic soundtracks. There aren't a lot of places in NA to purchase them unless you go to a local import shop or something. There is a mall around where I live that has a store which does sell authentic soundtracks, but this is in Canada.

I can't recall that many soundtracks where you can buy them in-store in North America. I remember when I was little and I used to go to the local HMV to import them, though! The first soundtrack I imported was Chrono Cross and the guy there was like, "We have Chrono Trigger in the system! I didn't even know they made game soundtracks!" :lol

And, uh... wow @ bickering. *goes back to Ocarina of Time*
Figured playasia is the best bet. 50 bucks for a soundtrack is hard to settle with. Ah well.

ShadiWulf

Lijik said:
Sega of Japan's Sonic cake:
17.jpg

Sega of America's Sonic cake:
http://i52.tinypic.com/14av12p.jpg

Why are we so far behind in Sonic Cake technology
well. SEGA America's cake was definitely way more ambitious.. but.. SEGA Japan made the better cake. No doubt about that. XD SEGA Japan's cake actually looks yummy to eat. I wouldn't want to go anywhere near the SEGA America one.

qq more

xprs22 said:
Just had an epiphany...Sonic 4 is actually a really good game!! After owning it since it's release back in October, I've periodically been playing it, but hating it "for what the game wasn't". Now that I've sat down, forgot about Sonic 1-3 physics, and just played it, I could actually step back and class its greatness with the Genesis Saga! Sounds crazy, but I do believe the game, homing attack and all, is a competent sequel. If the glitches were cleaned up, and new additions to the gameplay mechanics weren't mandatory, I could go as far as to compare it to remakes like NSMBW and Contra DS.

God Dammit, are those special stages hard!! Feels rewarding upon completion though.
NSMB Wii and Contra 4 are remakes? :x

That's a pretty modest cake celebrating the character that has made you millions, if not billions, Sega of Japan!

MMM I feel like strawberries now. And cheesecake. It looks like a cheesecake.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Gravijah said:
Man, Sonic Colors is starting to kick my ass. Especially this roller coaster place.
My least-favourite stage in that game by -far-.

Lijik said:
Mmmm... I'd put some whipped cream on those strawberries. I could go for some right now. Man, I should've baked a strawberry shortcake yesterday rather than a regular sponge cake...

Phonomezer said:
That's a pretty modest cake celebrating the character that has made you millions, if not billions, Sega of Japan!

MMM I feel like strawberries now. And cheesecake. It looks like a cheesecake.

Actually Japanese sweets/pasteries are very simple compared to their American/western counterparts. This goes especially for cakes. Japanese aren't realy into crazy art frosting decorations on birthday cakes here. I'd say that cake is pretty special for a Japanese style cake because they actually frosted the art onto to the top of the cake instead of planting a figure in it or placing a sugar mold of the character. Even wedding cakes here aren't all that extravagant like the multi tiered ones that are at most weddings in the movies and in real life.

As for SoA's Sonic cake... I would have remade the cake or just took Sonic out. Even a simple flat silk screen frosting Sonic would have been a better choice. \Why the hell am I talking about cakes?

Lijik

Upsidedown Fuji said:
Why the hell am I talking about cakes?
Character design details, physics, older games, microscopic bit of news, music, cakes.
Its a new part of the sonic thread cycle

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
SwiftSketcher said:
I... I... *giggle; laughs until tearing up* ... my tummy and cheeks are going to hate me... <3 you, GAF.

SEGA of America is going to be in charge of my wedding cake if/when I get married. Dairy Queen's Sailor Moon, Sailor Jupiter and Pikachu cakes from when I was little don't measure up to this.

TheOGB

Banned
Gravijah said:
Final boss in Sonic Colors was a giant bastard. A huge, giant, enormous bastard.
I just remembered you haven't touched 3D Sonic in a long time, so that's alright.

I was about to mock you for not beating the boss in 2 minutes or less

I find it odd that I haven't even played Unleashed in its entirety, yet I had barely any troubles with the two sections mentioned just now.

Gravijah

Fimbulvetr said:
And one of the better bosses in a 3D Sonic.

Yeah, it was pretty good.

SykoTech said:
Forget the Final Boss, the level that took place before it was the cruel part. Screw that crab thing and his lasers.

And the hole that pops up right when the stage starts. Might be the stage before that, though. Can't remember.

I didn't know I could boost into the final boss for an extra hit after the homing attack combo. It became 10x easier. The real bullshit was the surprise "act 2" after the boss, made especially worse if you have no lives left -_-

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
TheOGB said:
That's a pretty poor excuse for a cake. That's something I'd make if I were in a real hurry. C'mon Nintendo, step yo' game up.

"Here's a shelf. These are the Sonic games on our systems. C'mon, we barely celebrated Mario's 25th Anniversary. What makes you think we'll celebrate his rival Sonic's? LOL."

Gravijah said:
Final boss in Sonic Colors was a giant bastard. A huge, giant, enormous bastard.
The final boss music is nice, though.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Dark Schala said:
The final boss music is nice, though.
I haven't played the final boss for either Unleashed or Colors, but I really do love those music tracks.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Gravijah said:
Listening to Unleashed music for the first time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGyX0tO7edc&feature=related

<333
Oh, I'd post Unleashed's final boss theme, but it'll spoil the surprise. Unleashed has a damn fine soundtrack, though. Not sure how people can dislike it.

OMG Aero said:
Is it literally just going to be some info and maybe videos about the old DS games?
They could have at least used it as an excuse to put out one of those Gamegear games that they already confirmed for the eshop.
If they celebrated Mario's 25th Anniversary with ROM dumps on a $30 disc with a booklet and a soundtrack (half of which consisted of sound effects), I highly doubt that Nintendo would do something more for Sonic's 20th Anniversary. :lol

Gravijah

Dark Schala said:
Oh, I'd post Unleashed's final boss theme, but it'll spoil the surprise. Unleashed has a damn fine soundtrack, though. Not sure how people can dislike it.

Hahaha, I don't care about spoilers in a Sonic game. I doubt I will ever play Unleashed, anyway.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
might sound strange but considering the city escape level is in could there be a chao garden ( it use to have chao boxes in level )

one of thing i miss about the new sonic games. especially when u go to get rid of chao and it has the sad music and stuff lol

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.

Gravijah

Dark Schala said:
I'm surprised you caved and listened to the Skyward Sword theme! What happened?

I had to give myself a little taste. Just a little! Plus, it was just the main theme anyway... I have still kept myself away from all of the gameplay videos. And trailers (other than the E3 one, which I saw on the stream.)

bolt7

Banned
Catalix said:
If there's one thing I can't fault Sonic Unleashed on, it's the music. So many great tracks...

Eeeexcept for this, but that's mostly due to the frequency in which it plays. DAT SAX!

My personal favourite. I absolutely loved that stage- it's fantastic. If you liked the Unleashed's soundtrack, you should give the Colours one a listen. Very catchy music, still. Generations sounds amazing too.

Top Bottom