• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Lost Worlds Debut Trailer [Up: Wii U + 3DS screenshots]

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I think they stopped using teams. The only reason they had teams was to get different Wii and PS3/360 Sonic games. They don't have to do that here.

I actually think they are using teams. They had three different teams, at least before Colors released. The 'Mario & Sonic' team, the 'Storybook' team, and the 'Unleashed' team. SEGA struck a three-game deal with Nintendo, the first of which is a Mario & Sonic game, the second of which is what looks to be essentially Sonic Colors 2, and a third unannounced one, which I will bet like how this game seems very much in the same vein of Colors the third game will be to Unleashed and Generations.

It makes the three-game Nintendo deal timely and sensical if they had three different teams working on each of the three different games, and the style of the two games shown so far fit with the team motif SEGA deliberated on in at least 2010.

DaBoss

I actually think they are using teams. They had three different teams, at least before Colors released. The 'Mario & Sonic' team, the 'Storybook' team, and the 'Unleashed' team. SEGA struck a three-game deal with Nintendo, the first of which is a Mario & Sonic game, the second of which is what looks to be essentially Sonic Colors 2, and a third unannounced one, which I will bet like how this game seems very much in the same vein of Colors the third game will be to Unleashed and Generations.

It makes the three-game Nintendo deal timely and sensical if they had three different teams working on each three different games, and the style of two games shown so far fit with the team motif SEGA deliberated on in at least 2010.

But the Sonic Colors team folded into the Unleashed team to make Generations. I don't think the 3rd unannounced game is a Sonic platformer, they implied that it would be a game that would be released soon.

It makes the three-game Nintendo deal timely and sensical if they had three different teams working on each of the three different games, and the style of the two games shown so far fit with the team motif SEGA deliberated on in at least 2010.

Actually, that would be SEGA Sports R&D. I would say the third team would be the ones doing the PSO series.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
But the Sonic Colors team folded into the Unleashed team to make Generations. I don't think the 3rd unannounced game is a Sonic platformer, they implied that it would be a game that would be released soon.

This is true, but I also don't think the entire team was obliterated. It could of been, though, as I don't know any more than anyone else on this.

Actually, that would be SEGA Sports R&D. I would say the third team would be the ones doing the PSO series.

You are correct, but this is exclusive to the Sonic series and not SEGA as a whole.

This is from 2010, so it could be outdated, but the interview in question that talks about the teams: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/239411/interviews/segas-mike-hayes-pt1/

There was another article closer to Colors release that talked more about the actual teams, but I can't recall where it was unfortunately, just remember this article from 2010 where they talked about several things.

Damn... I told myself to never fall for the Sonic Cycle again but this really does look great. It's so colourful, like a Sega Saturn game and it looks a lot like Sonic X-treme which I always believed to be the natural progression to a proper 3D Sonic.

Why would you swear away Sonic? I don't swear off any series in case it eventually produces a great title. Sure, Sonic fell on hard times there for a while, but it didn't mean every game was destined for failure.

NotLiquid

Then it's not the spindash.

Still sounds better than boosting.

Well, do note I was speaking strictly of rolling. Who knows, the Spin Dash itself might still be there if rolling is possible. The roll button might be a spin dash button when you're on a standstill.

I could see the button be used something like;

Standstill = Spin Dash
Jogging = No Effect
Sprinting = Roll

Well, do note I was speaking strictly of rolling. Who knows, the Spin Dash itself might still be there if rolling is possible. The roll button might be a spin dash button when you're on a standstill.

I could see the button be used something like;

Standstill = Spin Dash
Jogging = No Effect
Sprinting = Roll

That's how I'm hoping it works. That's the way I always planned it, anyway.

Vibed

It'd be cool if for the running it was like:

Standing still while pressing one trigger: Super Peel-Out

Standing still and pressing both triggers: Spin Dash

Moving then pressing one trigger: Sprint

Moving with one trigger then pressing the other: Roll

So basically adding a super peel-out. :p

If the game does not have anymore the Racing like gameplay.. then this game has pontential to be a good sonic game that we remember back then..

SykoTech

Tilting gimmicks. On both. But mainly on a system where the 3D effect pays the price entirely: No! BAD SEGA. Better be normal control options.

Unlike Nintendo, Sega's pretty good when it comes to making it's motion control gimmicks optional. I played through Colors on a Gamecube controller. Hopefully Lost World will have an option to ignore the gimmicky controls and/or be Pro Controller compatible.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Man that boxart, it's hideous. It's pretty much the opposite of the in-game graphics, a cluttered mess. Should just be some floating platform spreading into the horizon with Sonic running on a wall or something cool.

NotLiquid

Man that boxart, it's hideous. It's pretty much the opposite of the in-game graphics, a cluttered mess. Should just be some floating platform spreading into the horizon with Sonic running on a wall or something cool.

I think it stands out at least for having possibly the best Sonic renders. Him "jumping" over the logo seems to emphasize the parkour, I can dig that.

The Deadly Six could have been more subtly placed though. They should have placed them all in the background, kind of like the Scott Pilgrim poster.

... And now I feel it could have been called "Sonic vs. The Lost World".

Raziel

The Cycle will never end for some haters. One more solid game and I think "We're Back".

I think the cycle might still be alive in terms of the hype:final product ratio. Generations seemed like it was good, but man people were hyped for that to be utterly amazing based on all the pre-release media.

Wow, just realized my SA3 box is not too dissimilar to LW's:

49044-sonic-adventure-3-full.png
Sonic-Lost-World_2013_05-29-13_014.jpg

I think it stands out at least for having possibly the best Sonic renders. Him "jumping" over the logo seems to emphasize the parkour, I can dig that.

The Deadly Six could have been more subtly placed though. They should have placed them all in the background, kind of like the Scott Pilgrim poster.

... And now I feel it could have been called "Sonic vs. The Lost World".

Whenever we get press assets, someone alert me and I'll make a bitchin' cover.

I agree on the title, Sonic vs. The Lost World sounds really cool.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I think the cycle might still be alive in terms of the hype:final product ratio. Generations seemed like it was good, but man people were hyped for that to be utterly amazing based on all the pre-release media.
But Generations is way better than original Sonic games. The use of momentum, timing, and targeting to discover new paths (and red rings) is done brilliantly with the level design and the 3D levels are really fast and fun and add to the good of the same elements of the 2D levels with the boosting systems. The bosses are also much more creative and engaging and the controls work perfectly. The only problems I have had were from knowledge of the levels, which was definitely an issue on Genesis as well.

But Generations is way better than original Sonic games. The use of momentum, timing, and targeting to discover new paths (and red rings) is done brilliantly with the level design and the 3D levels are really fast and fun and add to the good of the same elements of the 2D levels with the boosting systems. The bosses are also much more creative and engaging and the controls work perfectly. The only problems I have had were from knowledge of the levels, which was definitely an issue on Genesis as well.

Whoa, back it up. What game did you play?

WillyFive

Agreed, I like Generations but modern Sonic is barely even really a Sonic game, as in what the original trilogy that should have set the tone for the franchise. Lots of linearity now vs. open, expansive, levels back then.

Generations Modern Sonic had a lot of branching paths, just like the classic Sonic games. The only linear part was Modern Green Hill Zone, and it's linear part ended around halfway through the level, since it split it up in like three different branches at the halfway point.

Agreed, I like Generations but modern Sonic is barely even really a Sonic game, as in what the original trilogy that should have set the tone for the franchise. Lots of linearity now vs. open, expansive, levels back then.

The franchise has changed since the Genesis days. Some people, including myself, enjoy the boost playstyle. I'm not saying there isn't room for the older-style of gameplay, but to keep wishing for it year after year is an exercise in futility.

The franchise has changed since the Genesis days. Some people, including myself, enjoy the boost playstyle. I'm not saying there isn't room for the older-style of gameplay, but to keep wishing for it year after year is an exercise in futility.

From what they are saying about this game, and what we've seen in this trailer, I'd say it's not. Obviously we can't be sure yet if they will pan out, but even Sega saying these things says something about the efforts of fans.

Generations Modern Sonic had a lot of branching paths, just like the classic Sonic games. The only linear part was Modern Green Hill Zone, and it's linear part ended around halfway through the level, since it split it up in like three different branches at the halfway point.

Branches don't fix linearity, that just makes more linear paths. It's the way paths constantly connect throughout the level that makes them fun to explore over and over again.

Dimps is dead to me. I loved Rush too.

Rush was so fun. Not in the traditional Sonic sense of course, but more as a kind of rhythmic platforming thingie. 'Rushing' through stages unscathed while pulling off amazing tricks and boosts felt exhilarating. Played it so many times.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Branches don't fix linearity, that just makes more linear paths. It's the way paths constantly connect throughout the level that makes them fun to explore over and over again.
So the boring platforming that seems counterintuitive to the physics design, frustrating shit where you end up where you don't want to be and aren't fully sure how, not even being sure if it is possible to get from the point A to the point B you are thinking of, and half the time it is not so you just take a lame ass route you could have done without the struggle ending in disappointment... that is what makes Sonic fun.

Okay.

Sacul64

Banned
From what they are saying about this game, and what we've seen in this trailer, I'd say it's not. Obviously we can't be sure yet if they will pan out, but even Sega saying these things says something about the efforts of fans.

And that is exactly how sky sanctuary and Wave Palace play. I can jump between branching paths when I want for most of the levels. You are also over exaggerating the old games. Yes there are levels that are quite open, there are also levels that are linear branches no mater how you slice it.

tajd

Banned
so theres mulyiplayer ? racing 2 player in zones ? sounds cool

so there a chance i can play as tails knuckles and other friends ?

RagnarokX

Sonic Xtreme's story:

Dr. Robotnik stands facing the Master Chaos Emerald in the center of the room. All sorts of robotic arm contraptions are drilling and zapping the huge gemstones trying to tap its mysterious power. The flashes bottom-light Robotnik's face as he laughs like a triumphant maniac. After a few moments the Dr. notices something strange. Leaning closer, he looks curiously disturbed as the Master Emerald glitters and clouds within. Suddenly the gem explodes in a flash of light, hurling Robotnik back against the wall next to Knuckles and Tails. The dark room is lit by rapid pulses of black light as the three stare in awe. Cut to the Master Emerald spilling out loads of foggy smoke. Cut to Knuckles and Tails looking curiously at each other.

Out of the gemstone and into the mist glide small flickering lights almost like fireflies. Cut to Robotnik sprawled on the floor, propping himself up, looking exalted and a bit frightened by the spectacle. Six tall shadows materialize and loom large over the Dr., Knuckles and Tails. Truck-in to Robotnik's sweating, shocked look as the shadows draw in and "smother" him.

http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_X-...Saturn_-_by_Christian_Senn_-_April_28.2C_1995

Six shadows betray Robotnik before the start of the game? Similar world design? Hmmm.

NotLiquid

So apparently it's not just the level style from X-Treme that seems like it's being borrowed. The story looks like it might be similar too.

http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_X-...Saturn_-_by_Christian_Senn_-_April_28.2C_1995

Dr. Robotnik stands facing the Master Chaos Emerald in the center of the room. All sorts of robotic arm contraptions are drilling and zapping the huge gemstones trying to tap its mysterious power. The flashes bottom-light Robotnik's face as he laughs like a triumphant maniac. After a few moments the Dr. notices something strange. Leaning closer, he looks curiously disturbed as the Master Emerald glitters and clouds within. Suddenly the gem explodes in a flash of light, hurling Robotnik back against the wall next to Knuckles and Tails. The dark room is lit by rapid pulses of black light as the three stare in awe. Cut to the Master Emerald spilling out loads of foggy smoke. Cut to Knuckles and Tails looking curiously at each other.

Out of the gemstone and into the mist glide small flickering lights almost like fireflies. Cut to Robotnik sprawled on the floor, propping himself up, looking exalted and a bit frightened by the spectacle. Six tall shadows materialize and loom large over the Dr., Knuckles and Tails. Truck-in to Robotnik's sweating, shocked look as the shadows draw in and "smother" him.

EDIT: Wow ninja'd like a bitch.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Sonic Xtreme's story:

Six shadows betray Robotnik before the start of the game? Similar world design? Hmmm.

interesting, so I guess this is a remake of that cancelled project.

And that is exactly how sky sanctuary and Wave Palace play. I can jump between branching paths when I want for most of the levels. You are also over exaggerating the old games. Yes there are levels that are quite open, there are also levels that are linear branches no mater how you slice it.

I didn't say those levels weren't like that. Wave Palace is a great level, it's my favorite in Generations.

What I said was that branches alone don't fix linearity. Branches can be fine, but only if there is interesting content in those areas. If they are just hallways, like several areas in Generations, then it doesn't help at all. That's why the classic level designs work so well, either there are constant path intersections, or the branches are substancial.

That's what I want to see going forward. I'm not saying they haven't done it in the past few games, but it's not at well designed as the classics.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Sega would be pretty smart to offer Classic Sonic costume DLC. Can you imagine.
o00AX2b.jpg

Top Bottom