• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Lost Worlds Debut Trailer [Up: Wii U + 3DS screenshots]

Any of those games, flawed as they may be, are regarded as far superior (well maybe except phantom hourglass) than anything Sonic team had come up with in the last 15 years. Its the severity of their bad design choices that is somewhat baffling when they are bad.

That said, their good choices are outstanding. When they are good they truly shine, but when they are bad they are truly abysmal. Its quite interesting actually.

I like Generations and Colors more than all of those games. :mad:

That said, they are all great games regardless.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Agreed. They don't deserve that level of pessimism, but they do deserve cautious optimism because of past experience.

Yes... a little caution is deserved. It was basically a decade of bad Sonic games.

I think they need to maintain quality for quite a few more games before that confidence is regained.

Yeah I was gonna say.. I think Generations was a more fun example of a Sonic game than most of the recent Zeldas have been at being Zelda games...

... but I liked things about Skyward and its so much bigger of a game than any Sonic... not a 1:1 comparison.

CrisKre

That's great and very valid, but not related to my point at all. Those two are good/great games. True.

I will also state I expect Sonic team to truly make something special of this game. It will be a return to glory of sorts for them.

im okay with him throwing a "woo!" or some shit like that every now and then, just dont give him fucking dialogue, the game doesnt need it

works for Mario

One of the nice things about Colors is that Sonic was supposed to chatter more, especially after bosses, but they cut it back. They let Eggman do most of the talking, which really worked out well.

TaroYamada

Any of those games, flawed as they may be, are regarded as far superior (well maybe except phantom hourglass) than anything Sonic team had come up with in the last 15 years. Its the severity of their bad design choices that is somewhat baffling when they are bad.

That said, their good choices are outstanding. When they are good they truly shine, but when they are bad they are truly abysmal. Its quite interesting actually.

I would take Sonic Generations over either DS Zelda, they were both rather average games. Zelda or not. Twilight Princess is better than Sonic Gens in my view though, haven't played SS.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Not everyone thinks Colors broke this.
Generations sure as hell did, though.

Eh, I loved Sonic 1, Chaos and Triple Trouble. Granted they aren't the best Sonic games, but I had a lot of fun with them.
Sure, but they are all dated as hell. Only Sonic 1 remains playable. The rest of the games feature severe slowdown and questionable level design.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
if the screens in OP are real, I think that it is very good also technically. It's super polished, colorful, with surface effects just in few elements, keeping intact the flat-cartoonish style in a lot of other elements. The grass is viva pinata-old scholl sonic style too.
gameplay-wise I'm really curious to test this new speed system

CrisKre

I would take Sonic Generations over either DS Zelda, they were both rather average games. Zelda or not. Twilight Princess is better than Sonic Gens in my view though, haven't played SS.
Ss is amazing man. It seems somewhat polarizing arround here but I just love that game. Give it a try if you get the chance.

ijrPTXWVccujF.gif

I don't know what the fuck that is from but i NEED it in my life.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Ss is amazing man. It seems somewhat polarizing arround here but I just love that game. Give it a try if you get the chance.

I liked a lot about it. Fraught with "modern Zelda" staleness, but I did enjoy it a lot.

Graphically, I am not too impressed with that new Sonic game, from what i can see in this trailer.

Looks like a fun game though, might give it a try.

Plus, good to hear that the Wii U is finally getting some love...

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Forgive the dumb question but is there still two Sonic Teams, and if so, which one is this being done by?

SmokeMaxX

Anybody know the extent of the Nintendo partnership on this game? Is Nintendo overseeing it? QAing it? Giving feedback? Developing it as a whole? Or are they just the publishers?

Sciz

Of all things, a Wii U exclusive 3D Sonic game gets 40 pages of largely positive reactions in twelve hours based on a trailer and an IGN article. Truly, there is no pinning down GAF's tastes.

Forgive the dumb question but is there still two Sonic Teams, and if so, which one is this being done by?

Last we heard was that the Colors guys had been folded back into the main team as part of an all hands on deck move to get Generations wrapped up on time.

In general, to my knowledge, they've got three teams: Sonic, Sonic spinoffs/outsourcing management and collaboration/random shit (e.g. Sonic Riders, Unleashed Wii, and their Puyo games all stem from here), and then there's the Phantasy Star guys who are also still Sonic Team for some reason.

AniHawk

it's confusing and this is probably wrong:

sega technical institute (1993-1996):
sonic the hedgehog 2
sonic x-treme (canceled)

sonic team usa/sega studio usa (1999-2008):
sonic adventure 2 (and sa2b)
sonic heroes
shadow the hedgehog

sonic team (1991-present):
toyoda era:
sonic the hedgehog
sonic cd

naka era:
sonic the hedgehog 3
sonic & knuckles
sonic adventure
(also includes everything from sti's games through shadow the hedgehog)

hd team:
sonic the hedgehog 06
sonic unleashed

wii team:
sonic and the secret rings
sonic and the black knight
sonic colors

combo:
sonic generations
sonic lost world

apparently naka went to america because he was tired of sega japan, found he couldn't communicate with the english-only-speaking people of sti and the american sonic team, and replaced them with japanese people for sonic 3 & knuckles.

then there was some fallout regarding sti using naka's nights engine for sonic x-treme perhaps without his permission. sega usa and sega japan kinda hated each other.

trixx

Am I the only one that did not like the sonic adventure games. There are so many glitches, camera issues etc.. I though sonic adventure battle 2 was okay but in terms of a 2d franchise becoming 3d sonic is quite bad compared to Mario. Zelda and metroid

Like I said in an earlier thread the best part of both sonic adventure games is Chao garden IMO.

Colors and Generations are sufficiently good enough that - even if an individual had issues with them - any notion of a "cycle" of disappointment is a fantasy.

We might as well talk about "The Zelda Cycle" or "The Final Fantasy Cycle" at that point.
Everyone knows the Zelda Cycle

zeldacycle-1_zps75c3ca2d.png

AniHawk

Am I the only one that did not like the sonic adventure games. There are so many glitches, camera issues etc.. I though sonic adventure battle 2 was okay but in terms of a 2d franchise becoming 3d sonic is quite bad compared to Mario. Zelda and metroid

Like I said in an earlier thread the best part of both sonic adventure games is Chao garden IMO.

sonic adventure was a marvel back in 1999. if you weren't there for it, you missed out. these days, the luster is gone, and yeah, turns out the game kinda always sucked. sonic adventure 2 is better, but not by much. the sonic + shadow stuff mostly holds up and that's about it.

i did enjoy the direction sonic and the secret rings appeared to be heading in. this actually feels like a more realized version of that. it was disappointing that they dropped what secret rings was doing for whatever the hell black knight was supposed to be.

I wonder if these enemies are in relation to the chaos emeralds, they have the same colours beside one more and the master emerald?

At least I think so my emerald lore is not what it once was

Pretty cautious, as the Sonic franchise has more dubious entries than good ones, but I'll keep an eye out for it. Overally I think it looks pretty good. I think the brighter, more cartoony style of world it fits an anthropomorphised hedgehog series better than the style Sonic had been going for before. The Mario Galaxy influences are pretty obvious, but it remains to be seen if that's a bad thing.

AniHawk

1) New Zelda comes out, proclaimed the greatest game ever

2) Months pass, New Zelda determined worst piece of shit ever made

3) Newer Zelda announced, fanboys bitch about changes/gimmicks and bemoan the fact that Nintendo will never be as good as New Zelda

not that it was super widespread, but it was interesting when a couple people asked for twilight princess's wii controls back after skyward sword came out.

1) New Zelda comes out, proclaimed the greatest game ever

2) Months pass, New Zelda determined worst piece of shit ever made

3) Previous hated Zelda now considered acceptable with praise here and there

4) Newer Zelda announced, fanboys bitch about changes/gimmicks and bemoan the fact that Nintendo will never be as good as New Zelda

Fixed*

@MUWANdo

Banned
apparently naka went to america because he was tired of sega japan, found he couldn't communicate with the english-only-speaking people of sti and the american sonic team, and replaced them with japanese people for sonic 3 & knuckles.

Not quite.

Sega of Japan paid their employees based on seniority, not performance, so when Naka found out he'd still be earning grunt money despite delivering such a massive hit with Sonic he threw a hissyfit and threatened to leave the company.

Mark Cerny, who had links to both SoJ and Sega of America, negotiated a compromise to keep both parties happy: Naka would stay with the company at large, but he and other members of Sonic Team would come over to the US and make the game as part of Sega Technical Institute, which would allow SoA to pay them a more "reasonable" salary.

Once Sonic 2 dropped and was another huge hit, Naka was able to get what he wanted from SoJ--he was given more money, more autonomy and a more prestigious title--so they went back to Japan. I don't think there was any real animosity or difficulty that came from working with STI.

(Naka's English is pretty good, incidentally, but he allegedly had a habit of pretending he couldn't understand English when people were telling him things he didn't want to hear.)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
it's confusing and this is probably wrong:

sega technical institute (1993-1996):
sonic the hedgehog 2
sonic x-treme (canceled)

sonic team usa/sega studio usa (1999-2008):
sonic adventure 2 (and sa2b)
sonic heroes
shadow the hedgehog

sonic team (1991-present):
toyoda era:
sonic the hedgehog
sonic cd

naka era:
sonic the hedgehog 3
sonic & knuckles
sonic adventure
(also includes everything from sti's games through shadow the hedgehog)

hd team:
sonic the hedgehog 06
sonic unleashed

wii team:
sonic and the secret rings
sonic and the black knight
sonic colors

combo:
sonic generations
sonic lost world

then there was some fallout regarding sti using naka's nights engine for sonic x-treme perhaps without his permission. sega usa and sega japan kinda hated each other.

Well, I was just asking about the situation with ST right now with this new game. :p But thanks for the ST history lesson.

Not quite.

Sega of Japan paid their employees based on seniority, not performance, so when Naka found out he'd still be earning grunt money despite delivering such a massive hit with Sonic he threw a hissyfit and threatened to leave the company.

Mark Cerny, who had links to both SoJ and Sega of America, negotiated a compromise to keep both parties happy: Naka would stay with the company at large, but he and other members of Sonic Team would come over to the US and make the game as part of Sega Technical Institute, which would allow SoA to pay them a more "reasonable" salary.

Once Sonic 2 dropped and was another huge hit, Naka was able to get what he wanted from SoJ--he was given more money, more autonomy and a more prestigious title--so they went back to Japan. I don't think there was any real animosity or difficulty that came from working with STI.

(Naka's English is pretty good, incidentally, but he allegedly had a habit of pretending he couldn't understand English when people were telling him things he didn't want to hear.)

Well, dang. All that makes so much more sense now. I always wondered why Sonic 2 was made by the American division.

not that it was super widespread, but it was interesting when a couple people asked for twilight princess's wii controls back after skyward sword came out.
Honestly WW, TP, and SS are all in the same ballpark quality-wise, imo. Not sure what's so bad about any of those games to attract such vitriol from the fan base, not that they don't have their faults. I'm sure when Zelda Wii U is announced its reception will be as polarized as all of the post-MM entries.

On the other hand, for a series that's only now starting to rehabilitate its image, Lost World is getting only positive buzz. It feels like the diehard Sonic fans have a more optimistic perspective than other long-running franchises, like Mario or Zelda.

Ferr986

Once Sonic 2 dropped and was another huge hit, Naka was able to get what he wanted from SoJ--he was given more money, more autonomy and a more prestigious title--so they went back to Japan.

I'm pretty sure Sonic 3 & Knuckles was developed in STI, they just didnt work with the real STI members, just the ST staff that were there.

And the problem with communications was not for Naka's part, but some of the other JP staff. I remember osme guy who worked on Sonic 2 saying on SonicRetro that the name Genocyde city was a mistranslation coming from the JP side

According to Sonic 2 level designer Tom Payne, the name "Genocide City" being chosen was due to the development team's "not quite complete grasp of the English language." During an interview with Payne, he went on to say that the team "may have been looking for a name that sounded dangerous," which resulted in the name "Genocide City" appearing in one of the Sonic 2 betas. It is now believed that Cyber City was the name conceptualized later on in order to remedy the zone's former name.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
dolphin2012101912200432.jpg

IMO SMG looks tons better visually.
Even disregarding that you are cheating here by using an emulator for the graphical showpiece scene of SMG and compare it to real gameplay of a work in progress Sonic, you still have to remember that Sonic has to work at a great speed, so the streaming has to keep up with the game's speed, too.

The series does still have recurring flaws, despite them getting better. So, that's still a cycle.

I'm not trying to argue for the cycle, but rather that both sides of this don't really hold much ground.
What recurring flaws are you speaking of? Actually I always only hear complaints about the game being speedy (duh, it's Sonic...), or easy (Generations may be easy, but try to get S-Ranks in Unleashed and tell me that they are obtained by holding up and boost. Such a ridicilous statement) or some momentum blurb. This is not calling out flaws, this is demanding that every Sonic game ever made should be a Sonic 1 level pack. While I myself love the Unleashed style (and also like the classic Sonics, though I think Sonic 1 is one of the weakest Sonic games if you only look at the main series, ignoring the obvious uber-stinkers like Sonic 2006) and would have been pumped for a new game of that kind, I'm also hyped for this new approach.

AniHawk

Not quite.

thanks for the clarification. although i do recall there was some sort of bitterness in sonic x-treme's development, and between the us and japan during the whole saturn -> black belt(?)/katana transition (and maybe into the dreamcast era).

Wow that trailer made that game look way better than it really is. For those of you getting hyped, don't. You'll be saving yourself in doing so, it truly is a disaster in progress.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
@BeardyChan: Do you mean a disaster in the way people make Sonic Unleashed out to be a disaster, or like Sonic 2006?

Is there any confirmation whether the 3DS game is a separate game or a port?

Top Bottom