• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Lost Worlds Debut Trailer [Up: Wii U + 3DS screenshots]

Aeana

Wow that trailer made that game look way better than it really is. For those of you getting hyped, don't. You'll be saving yourself in doing so, it truly is a disaster in progress.

Nope. You're going to have to give a little more information. None of this vague I-might-be-an-insider stuff.

Diman

This game has potential.

Any chance they will make demo's for the 3ds and Wii U?
Did they make sonic demo's in the past?

AniHawk

Why would that be if you don't mind me asking.

well i don't have any inside knowledge. it's just the wording in the first sentence doesn't seem like speculation, but like someone who's had some experience with the game. the last sentence reinforces it.

also, he lives in the bay area where sega's usa offices are located.

what have you heard?

it's not what I've heard, it's what I know. You'd think a game would change in 4-6 months after getting vital negative feedback, but they didn't change anything. In fact they made it worse by adding in Wii-U specific stuff. A lot of cheap deaths will be had at the expense of players frustration.

I don't have hope and I'm a sonic fan. It's as if they purposely went out of their way to add in Wii-U stuff to a game that was originally going to be multiplatform. Which in turn was more important than saving a game that could have actually been good if properly fixed. There will be some that will see past these flaws and I could be a bit biased on my opinion. But for me personally I felt that it was too hard for the audience they are going after. And I also found it to be way too gimmicky, which I didn't during my first run prior to Wii-U exclusivity.

CrisKre

well i don't have any inside knowledge. it's just the wording in the first sentence doesn't seem like speculation, but like someone who's had some experience with the game. the last sentence reinforces it.

also, he lives in the bay area where sega's usa offices are located.

I wish he would explain his comment and not just do what looks like a troll and run. Until he does I will remain optimistic.

AniHawk

it's not what I've heard, it's what I know. You'd think a game would change in 4-6 months after getting vital negative feedback, but they didn't change anything. In fact they made it worse by adding in Wii-U specific stuff. A lot of cheap deaths will be had at the expense of players frustration.

I don't have hope and I'm a sonic fan. It's as if they purposely went out of their way to add in Wii-U stuff to a game that was originally going to be multiplatform. Which in turn was more important than saving a game that could have actually been good if properly fixed. There will be some that will see past these flaws and I could be a bit biased on my opinion. But for me personally I felt that it was too hard for the audience they are going after. And I also found it to be way too gimmicky, which I didn't during my first run prior to Wii-U exclusivity.

ah, i see. sucks to hear that.

SmokeMaxX

Game could be bad, but too hard? That's in reference to the "cheap deaths" part right? Dying a lot isn't bad unless it's stupid like something unavoidable or just bad game design.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

Hard? This is something I actually love to hear, gimmicky though sounds horrible :/.

CrisKre

Clarified and understood. There is still time to finish the game proper though wouldn't you say? And is it on to assume it has potential from what you express?

I will say that I really enjoyed the music of the game. They at least got that right! I do wish to say you shouldn't let me be end all judge. If you are honestly interested in the game, shape your own opinion.

Yoshi

Yeah just like sonic 2006 for ps3 / 360 right ?

I seriously don't believe this game is rushed. It will be two years between Generations and this game, which is quite a lot of time for this team actually.

EDIT: Also if you have played the game, I have a few questions:

1. is it fast (I mean Unleashed fast)
2. are its problems of the same kind as Unleashed's "problems" minus the Werehog, as in very fast, difficult, no "momentum" gameplay? Because really, someone saying a Sonic game sucks can mean all kinds of things, Unleashed is my favourite 360 game and it rated worse than Sonic 2006 on some websites (a game that I despise).

AniHawk

Clarified and understood. There is still time to finish the game proper though wouldn't you say? And is it on to assume it has potential from what you express?

usually at this point, games are being put into the final stages for any bug fixes. submission to ratings boards start in maybe a month or two. package design is underway about three months in advance to the game's release, meaning whatever screenshots that need to be taken are representative of the final game.

so i wouldn't expect much to change in the realm of the game's design.

edit: sounds like what happened to nights 2 is happening to lost world. poor iizuka. living the same nightmare again.

Ferr986

And I also found it to be way too gimmicky, which I didn't during my first run prior to Wii-U exclusivity.

So, it started as PS360WiiU game?

Seems (assuming you're telling us the truth) that this game could have some added problems because of the WiiU exclusivity and the need of force new gamepad options that werent setted at first.

Daedardus

I'm still on the fence whether to believe that or not. It sounds like it is believable, but I could have easily made that stuff up myself. Why should I believe you?

TrueBlue

You're being a little vague. How are the deaths cheap? How is it too hard?

Well this sucks.

Even the bad Sonic games usually have amazing production values and stunning looking graphics (well, and great soundtracks), not to mention Generations/Colours. Since this is all of a sudden clearly missing here, I'm not surprised that it is apparently some half assed game yet again.
Hopefully this is a B-Team effort with a proper sequel to Generations already around the corner afterwards.

CrisKre

usually at this point, games are being put into the final stages for any bug fixes. submission to ratings boards start in maybe a month or two. package design is underway about three months in advance to the game's release, meaning whatever screenshots that need to be taken are representative of the final game.

so i wouldn't expect much to change in the realm of the game's design.

edit: sounds like what happened to nights 2 is happening to lost world. poor iizuka. living the same nightmare again.
It could land December for all we know, giving it 3 or 4 months of extra development time. For Sonic team that is plenty time. Right? I really want this to be good.

Shahadan

I seriously don't believe this game is rushed. It will be two years between Generations and this game, which is quite a lot of time for this team actually.
Could have scrapped concepts and started proper only last year, but I really meant wii u rushed. Which our friend basically confirmed ;(

Then again the definition of "gimmicky" is really loose around here so I'll wait to try it. Wisp powers from the gamepad was the only piece of information we got that felt weird and out of place to me, though. If the game wasn't conceived around those it could ruin the game pretty fast

Celine

Of all things, a Wii U exclusive 3D Sonic game gets 40 pages of largely positive reactions in twelve hours based on a trailer and an IGN article. Truly, there is no pinning down GAF's tastes.
Ah ah I was surprised by the amount of "butt hurt" on other forums regarding this game exclusivity.

Game could be bad, but too hard? That's in reference to the "cheap deaths" part right? Dying a lot isn't bad unless it's stupid like something unavoidable or just bad game design.

Bad game design, and hardware limitations. Yes hardware limitations, that's what it was described to me as being the issue. Something that wasn't fixed even after that period of time.

There is very little time for this game to be worked on in any dramatic way that might or might not change some of the issues. But that's not to say they can't make a miracle happen every once in a while.

AniHawk

I'm still on the fence whether to believe that or not. It sounds like it is believable, but I could have easily made that stuff up myself. Why should I believe you?
how often do people go into game reveals and spout off like they've literally played the game before it's released? i think enough adds up that he's not talking out of his ass.

Toparaman

Banned

The first trailer was just released. I really think you're jumping the gun here. What are the specific flaws, apart from being too hard?

NotLiquid

You're still being pretty vague if you ask me, assuming you actually have any insider knowledge. What about it is terrible? That it isn't like Sonic Generations or is it something else? Have you actually played it and seen it in action or is it just from some random source? Rich had hands-on and made it sound as good as it looks right now. Honestly, everything so far looks like it's designed to be my dream Sonic game. They fixed the problem with boost game play, they've got an interesting way of designing levels which ought to make the game pretty multifaceted and overall it just looks gorgeous.

Sorry but if anything this is still the most excited I've been about a Sonic game since the original Adventure. I don't think I've seen a Sonic game that's as unique and a breath of fresh air as this.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
the only Gamepadu uses for single player that we heard about are nothing worrisome:
"GamePad is specifically used to activate various Whisp-based “Color Powers,” which feature touch-based controls and are mostly used to gain access to side paths and areas."
So let's see what other heavy Pad implementations they'll disclose

FreeMufasa

Not gonna lie, doesn't do much for me, this coming from the biggest sonic fan.

If its going the galaxy extreme linear type route, mi don't want.

CrisKre

Bad game design, and hardware limitations. Yes hardware limitations, that's what it was described to me as being the issue. Something that wasn't fixed even after that period of time.

There is very little time for this game to be worked on in any dramatic way that might or might not change some of the issues. But that's not to say they can't make a miracle happen every once in a while.
I find that strange given that this group developed perfectly serviceable games on the wii. How would the wii u pose hardware limitations on them exactly?
The gamepad use point you make also sounds strange.
Isn't it only used for activating whisp powers? How is that overtly gimmicky?

Daedardus

how often do people go into game reveals and spout off like they've literally played the game before it's released? i think enough adds up that he's not talking out of his ass.

Not often, but it sounds like a good plan to get some discussion going.

Maybe he should PM the mods with some proof, so I can start fully trusting him.

Darryl

Banned
Not gonna lie, doesn't do much for me, this coming from the biggest sonic fan.

If its going the galaxy extreme linear type route, mi don't want.

what sonic games have you been playing. he's been running in a straight line with no return since the beginning of time

sounds like more gamefaqs-level nonsense to me

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So far it looks pretty great. I'll see other trailers / previews and I'll make even more my opinion there.

Yoshi

Actually, Chan, I would add one thing (on top of my questions): If you're legit you would be well advised to remove the picture of yours in your posting in another thread. If you're working for Sega, I wouldn't think they would be happy to see you spoiling the parade, because that trailer is at least looking fantastic and might help the game's potential ;).

NotLiquid

The Sonic community breeds some of the weirdest "rumor" shit from supposed insiders that somehow always gets taken into public light. 50% of those rumors stem from TSSZ and I'm pretty sure some even got GAF threads, so you'll have to forgive my own personal skepticism anytime someone pretty much goes "I know someone who works at Sega".

Dicer

Banned

And yeah, you lost me.

Top Bottom