• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania: 12 minutes of direct feed footage (Polygon)

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
This morning, Polygon posted twelve minutes of footage of the upcoming Sonic game from Christian Whitehead.
Link~

Still just Green Hill Zone act 1 and Studiopolis act 1, but the pace is relaxed and we get a good look at some of the branches in the levels' paths.

Has Sonic's balancing animation been gif'd yet? Check it out at 7:49. Really loving the animation in this game.

Fire me out of a Hornet van if old.

Is it me or is the guy playing really bad at this? Makes it annoying to watch for me, though the game looks great regardless.

Tizoc

^Actually the player here went on to showcase what each stage contains rather than just beat them.
His handling of the boss in GHZ reminds me of me against OG GHZ Act 3's boss :p

Yeah we get a good look at the stage layouts here.
2017 can't get here soon enough.

LewieP

Whoever is playing isn't completely awful, but certainly seems a little rusty, and makes some silly mistakes repeatedly.

Game looks fun though. Not sure about the multiple parts of Green Hill Zone that appear to block you from revisiting earlier parts in the level, but I suppose it's possible there is another way around them.

low-G

I saw this in the Sonic Mania thread earlier today. The game looks & sounds so so good. Can't wait.

Is it me or is the guy playing really bad at this? Makes it annoying to watch for me, though the game looks great regardless.

That's Polygon for ya! Though this is nowhere near the level of that DOOM video. Also let's us see the levels and the different paths.

-

The game looks fantastic and I really like the boss for Green Hill Zone. Whitehead is nailing it with this game as expected.

oneida

Whoever is playing juggles the sign at the end of GHZ for a bit, so they have at least played a Sonic game before!

Bishop89

58xYY0X.gif

BXoHRVF.gif

polygon

Tizoc

Rumor is that Amy may be in this as a playable character.
I could see her play similar to Advance 1 Amy...which is among the most jarring things for me to get used to when playing a traditional 2D Sonic game @_@

...looks like Sonic. Never quite took to the level design in these games. Having springs and loops all over the place just for the sake of it bothers me. Sonic's world just doesn't seem fleshed out.

gelf

Yeah I mentioned this in the main Mania thread too, the way they are playing it is frustrating as hell to watch.

Whoever is playing juggles the sign at the end of GHZ for a bit, so they have at least played a Sonic game before!

And tries to jump at the at the checkpoint for the bonus stage when Sonic has 62 rings! Some people really need to chill out with the overly critical gameplay commentary.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Some parts of GHZ were bad but the guy playing is not really comparable to the infamous Doom gameplay.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Its fan game right?

It is an official game by SEGA, but the person primarily making the game was a person who was originally in the Sonic Fan Game community who SEGA hired (known as Taxman, he does have a GAF account). He handled the Sonic CD Steam/PSN/XBLA/mobile port, as well as the Sonic 1 & 2 mobile ports, and now he's allowed to make his own original classic-styled Sonic game.

In an era where for example Nintendo is going out of their way to take down fangames, it seems SEGA is surprisingly one of the only companies to make a wise business decision out of untapped fangame talent and let someone talented in the community develop under them. A true modern case of SEGA do what Nintendon't.

Berordn

And tries to jump at the at the checkpoint for the bonus stage when Sonic has 62 rings! Some people really need to chill out with the overly critical gameplay commentary.

Yeah, it honestly looks like they were just taking their time to try and explore the levels.

That said, lol the doom footage.

Silvawuff

Yeah whoever was playing this was making me grit my teeth. You know that feeling when you had to pawn off the controller to a younger sibling or something and you had to watch them play? This video gave me that feeling!

Really excited for this game! Thanks for sharing this video!

MrBadger

You guys have to remember that these levels are huge and full of secrets, and this is the one chance the person playing will get to play it. When I was playing, I was just exploring every possibility and testing out all of Sonic's animations by deliberately stalling and waiting on ledges. It was probably infuriating to watch as well

Looks like a more fun version of the Eggman fight in GHZ act 3.

Which makes me wonder what they have for the actual GHZ boss. We know we'll be fighting Eggman with a checkered wrecking ball for a 5th time, but this is already a more complex version of that fight. I'm excited to see the creative liberties they take for it

sibarraz

Banned
I hope that each stage has a hidden mission like sonic cd were you have to find the hologram of metal sonic/ robot teleporters, other wise I find no reason to go to the other routes in green hill zone

Neoxon

I wonder if this game could run well on a Sega Saturn (since some of the stuff used in the game isn't far off from what the Saturn could do).

Guess Who

Banned
Big thanks to whoever at Polygon (Nick Robinson, I suspect?) got this together. Really nice to see a long, no-commentary video that shows off as much of the level as possible. I haven't seen a lot of the lower routes in Green Hill, for example.

Looks awesome, they should change the title to Sonic the Hedgehog 5.

Or Sonic the Hedgehog 4

we can just pretend that other game didn't happen

I'd be the reason this isn't Sonic 5 is to distance it from Sonic 4.

silva1991

It looks good, but I just can't stand the classic like music anymore, especially in that first stage. I know I'm alone on this one, but in this time and age old school video games music annoy me for the most time.

Nicky Ali

I've probably seen Green Hill and its variations 100+ times at this point... and yet I'm still so hyped to play this. Can't wait!

oneida

It looks good, but I just can't stand the classic like music anymore, especially in that first stage. I know I'm alone on this one, but in this time and age old school video games music annoy me for the most time.
anything else would be sooooo out of place, even if you don't like it to be honest.

Rich!

Couldn't watch all of this...the guy playing is just absolutely terrible. Why on earth does a professional outlet send people who obviously don't have a fucking clue how to play games out to do previews?! Fucking hell, get your act together.

That said, the game looks amazing.

Blam

This looks great. But Polygon needs to hire someone else. How does a profession outlet have people who from what it seems like have nobody who plays games at all or has even touched a controller in their life.

Guess Who

Banned
You folks getting mad at the guy playing need to calm your tits. The entire point of this video is to take it slow and show off the levels. Whoever's playing clearly has some idea what they're doing by the way they play and is deliberately taking their time.

oneida

Couldn't watch all of this...the guy playing is just absolutely terrible. Why on earth does a professional outlet send people who obviously don't have a fucking clue how to play games out to do previews?! Fucking hell, get your act together.

That said, the game looks amazing.
What makes you say that? It's not like he takes an absurd number of hits or anything. To the contrary there are a number of moments where the player demonstrates familiarity with the series, such as the aforementioned moment where he or she looks for a bonus stage at the checkpoint or when they're juggling the sign at the end of GHZ.

The point of this video was to explore and give everyone a sense of the stage's branches.

KainXVIII

It is exactly like i'm playing Sonic games - where the hell i'm running, why i constantly bump on spikes and how the hell can i predict that there were enemy with that fast scrolling?

Ashtar

Talk about blast from the past that ghz looked great but studiopolis fit right in as well
I'm guessing this game will be around 20 bucks if so I'm in like Flynn

oneida

Stolen from sixteen-bit, probably made by Tracker:
Would love to see this game get a physical release...

It is exactly like i'm playing Sonic games - where the hell i'm running, why i constantly bump on spikes and how the hell can i predict that there were enemy with that fast scrolling?
I mean you've had over twenty years to figure out how to play a game that uses 1-2 buttons

keero16

Neo Member
I didn't think they were playing that bad.

Looks cool and all, but I've seen all I want to of Green Hill Zone and Studiopolis. Ready for a new stage announcement, or Amy announcement (please)

apologies as i am sure this has been explained but what are the blue ring monitors for? and why were the rings massive at one point early on in the video, when sonic was hurt?

Looks great, can't wait!

And yeah, I think whoever was playing just wanted to explore more as opposed to being particularly bad at the game.

Top Bottom