• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania (8-15-2017, SEGA/Taxman/Headcannon/PagodaWest, PS4/XB1/PC/NX)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy to see this game make the Switch (heh). Was worried that SEGA would be dumb about it like how they were with those Sonic 1 & 2 ports/remakes (that were made exclusive to smart phones only for some reason).

Piers

Looks great but I hate Sonics running animation from Sonic CD (and I would have preferred the S3 sprites than S1/S2)

Has Sega said anything about the games release Date? Anything on how many levels there are? I honestly hope all levels from Sonic 1, Sonic 2 and Sonic3&Knuckles is in the game

Exactly my thoughts.
At least they fixed Sonic's inconsistent hand size. It irritated me so much when he was standing in S1/2

jax

Banned
I mean...you can play this on a Win GPD too ya know. Don't see what the big deal si with the whole portability thing >_>;

How are those? I've heard mixed things about them. Can they do Dreamcast emulators as well? I'm interested in the idea of a portable PC.

Kouriozan

I mean...you can play this on a Win GPD too ya know. Don't see what the big deal si with the whole portability thing >_>;

Heh, it's probably going to be the best selling version

C2OjCE8UkAAxtv2.jpg

Just like Sonic fits more on Nintendo consoles for some reasons.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I was really hoping this would make its way to the Wii U instead of the Switch, but either way I'm glad it's coming to a platform I own; I thought for sure I wouldn't get the chance to play it.

Neoxon

Because when the game was announced, I owned a Wii U. There was no guarantee at the time that I would be purchasing a Switch.
Even then, it was pretty clear that the Wii U was dead. Hell, Project Sonic 2017 was already announced for the Switch when it was known as the NX.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Even then, it was pretty clear that the Wii U was dead. Hell, Project Sonic 2017 was already announced for the Switch when it was known as the NX.

The Wii U's financial success in the marketplace doesn't change my situation.The Wii U is the only current generation hardware I own and thus the only way I would be able to play the game. When the game was announced last year a lack of Wii U announcement meant I wouldn't be able to play the game, which is a bummer.

Cmagus

Looks so good and the presentation looks so crisp and clean. I hope if this is successful they let these guys keep making more retro titles and let the main Sonic teams focus on the newer games. I'd honestly take one of these every year or two.

sonto340

To be fair, I imagine many people were drawn to the Nintendo page for the Zelda and Switch footage, and happened to see Sonic.
To be also fair, the switch trailer has been up for a fraction of the time

Shame they didn't reveal the switch version before I bought the PC special edition.

Mr Swine

Banned

C2OjCE8UkAAxtv2.jpg

The Switch trailer has been seen by 2.2 million now while its more or less the same on the PS trailer. I really hope that SM sells well on switch

C2OjCE8UkAAxtv2.jpg

Pff, that's nothing, the Switch trailer will surely overtake the ORIGINAL trailer at this point, it's just behind the Project Sonic 2017 trailer right now:

7gYBzMW.png

I've seen people doubt that Nintendo is Sonic's #1 market, yeah.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Pff, that's nothing, the Switch trailer will surely overtake the ORIGINAL trailer at this point, it's just behind the Project Sonic 2017 trailer right now:

7gYBzMW.png

I've seen people doubt that Nintendo is Sonic's #1 market, yeah.

I was so scared Sonic Mania wasn't going to be on a Nintendo system... I'm absolutely buying it on Switch (assuming it's a good port). Sonic just feels most at home on a Nintendo system in the year 2017.

We'll see how Project 2017 on Switch turns out, though... I imagine PS4 will get the best version unless Nintendo pitches for some exclusive content.

I was so scared Sonic Mania wasn't going to be on a Nintendo system... I'm absolutely buying it on Switch (assuming it's a good port). Sonic just feels most at home on a Nintendo system in the year 2017.

We'll see how Project 2017 on Switch turns out, though... I imagine PS4 will get the best version unless Nintendo pitches for some exclusive content.

I'm just hoping 2017 is a legit port this time and not some Dimped/Unleashed Wii version, luckily signs point to it being a port.

I could see special treatment for the Switch version, considering that Puyo Puyo Tetris is not only getting an exclusive digital release in the west (PS4 is retail-only), but Switch is also getting a special retail package with keychains (not a biggie but still neat).

Appropriate since Tetris was ALWAYS most associated with Nintendo (isn't Yamauchi's son-in-law Minoru Arakawa still there?) and Puyo Puyo had also been almost 100% Nintendo-exclusive in NA post-Sega consoles aside from that N-Gage release. I think EU did get the Sony versions of Fever though.

Maybe Sega and Nintendo might get some amiibo and maybe DLC support ala Lost World in 2017, who knows.

There's a physical version listed in Australian retailers today.

You sure that's not the collector's edition? I'll check myself.

Edit: OH MY FUCKING GOD YOU'RE RIGHT!!!

https://ebgames.com.au/nintendo-switch-225645-Sonic-Mania-Placeholder-Price-Switch

225645_packshot_l_03.jpg

AND only Switch came up for it! O_O AND I fucking called the box (if final):

LordKasual

Banned
Sonic just belongs on Nintendo hardware at this point. It's a natural home for him.

Unleashed and Generations couldn't even run on Nintendo hardware....

Anyway, Sonic Mania coming to Switch isn't even a surprise. The real question here should be, is it coming to the 3DS or not

jnWake

To be fair, I imagine many people were drawn to the Nintendo page for the Zelda and Switch footage, and happened to see Sonic.

I'd guess the same happens with the games too. People buy Switch to play Zelda, Mario and then see Sonic and buy it! After all, it's a game that appeals to Nintendo fans too.

Aquova

Anyway, Sonic Mania coming to Switch isn't even a surprise. The real question here should be, is it coming to the 3DS or not

I doubt it. I think they were specifically waiting to announce Mania at this event, there was no reason for them to hold off on announcing a 3DS version. Maybe we'll get a port if the current releases do well, but I it wouldn't release until later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom