• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania (8-15-2017, SEGA/Taxman/Headcannon/PagodaWest, PS4/XB1/PC/NX)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting, Game Collection as pointed out list a retail release on Switch, it's priced at £49.95, and Puyo Puyo Tetris on Switch is the same on the site.

Puyo Puyo Tetris in NA on Switch is $39.99 USD/ $54.99 CDN just to compare.

Not that I'd personally think it'll be that expensive, but still maybe they'll sweeten the deal with some goodies (Puyo comes with keychains in the Switch package).

This also adds evidence of it NOT being a mistake for the collectors edition, as it'd be FAR more expensive.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Sold best on PS2 then on the Wii. We don't know this generation where it'll sell best because the only platform it's been available for is the Wii U. I guess you could count the Racing Transformed and Lost World, where it's 1 to PC and 1 to Wii U.
Sonic on PS2 did not outperform Sonic on GCN much. Of course, mass helps with selling additional copies and if a platform has five times the user base, you can expect better or at the very least similar sales. However, for the real fans who buy all Sonic games right away, I would expect them to actually be predominantly on Nintendo systems, because taking a look at waht is huge with Nintendo - Mario, Zelda, colourful games - and what is big with MS & Sony - Halo, Uncharted, GT, Forza, GTA, CoD, overall "cool", violent stuff - it is clear what style of game design Sonic adheres to much closer.

Regarding price: I'll be more than happy to pay 70€ for a retail version of Sonic Mania. Also, I will then buy Puyo Puyo Tetris as well, so my wife has something to play with Switch as well :). Demands for 20€ are really strange imo.

Opa-Pa

If the boxed version is real then I'm getting it day one even if I don't buy a Switch till like november.

It's literally the only thing I wanted from the special edition, and it's the only thing not included lol.

I'll play this on PS4 in the meantime, but portable AND physical release? Yes please.

Oh man, I hope this is real. I hope it's a cool throwback boxart too. Give me something similar to Sonic 2's cover.

So, the initial worry about Switch using carts is that they would be prohibitively more expensive. Don't all these indie/smaller games getting physical releases kind of run counter to that? I went all digital on my 3DS, but the Switch boxes are too nice to pass up.

The very first thing you see in the Switch sizzle reel video is this.

8Xydt7d.png

I thought that was nice.

LordKasual

Banned
Don't sleep on the Wii version of unleashed. It cuts out a lot of the nonsense from the PS360 versions (forced medal collecting, running around pointless hub worlds) and has shorter werehog levels (even with there being more overall). Level design is different from the other versions but not necessarily worse. The only thing it has going against it is the lack of Empire City and Mazuri levels, but it somewhat makes up for that with a real Eggmanland day level.

From what I heard unleased on wii is actually the best version though? Same with the force unleashed infact. I also remembering hearing that that godfather game was better on wii aswell.

My problem with the "Wii version" of all of those games is that they are completely devoid of the ambition that the PS3/360 version brought to the table. It's like comparing the review scores of a mobile release to a full-fledged console/pc title.

Unleashed may have had more flaws, but it pushed more barriers than the Wii version could. The Wii version had less flaws, but it also had less substance.

That's been my growing problem with Nintendo in general. Everyone is excited for Breath of the Wild because it's taking Zelda in a new direction, but that direction has existed for literally 2 generations now. Nintendo is just late to the party, for the same reasons that The Force Unleashed and Sonic Unleashed got entirely different games as ports.

Regarding price: I'll be more than happy to pay 70€ for a retail version of Sonic Mania. Also, I will then buy Puyo Puyo Tetris as well, so my wife has something to play with Switch as well :). Demands for 20€ are really strange imo.
Why? Look at the game, it's clear it's the kind of game held to the same pricing standard as Axiom Verge, Owl Boy, Fez, etc. I love Sonic, but charging full price for a sprite-based 2d game would be bizarre and a move made to take advantage of fans.

EDarkness

Why? Look at the game, it's clear it's the kind of game held to the same pricing standard as Axiom Verge, Owl Boy, Fez, etc. I love Sonic, but charging full price for a sprite-based 2d game would be bizarre and a move made to take advantage of fans.

Why are 2D games less valuable?

Why are 2D games less valuable?
Why are we pining for more expensive games?

They're not less valuable but they're clearly budgeted very, very differently than games sold at AAA budgets. The market for 2D games exists because they're able to match the price up with the budget of the game with the mass market's expectations of what a game that looks and feels like an SNES or GBA game should cost today.

Tell me this: Do you think that most 2D, sprite-based video games would be able to sell and have a market if sold at $60 a pop? Excluding Mario and even Sonic: Would Fez have been the cult hit it is today if they sold it at $60? What about Axiom Verge?

I want to keep playing these games, and I also want to not have to scrounge up pennies for games that don't cost that much to make as games such as, say, Zelda Breath of the wild and Fallout 4. It is mutually beneficial for game companies and consumers to price their 2D, sprite-based games at prices lower than AAA retail games. More people will buy the game, the company will still make a profit, and most importantly: The market will continue to exist for the games themselves!

I would hate for Sonic Mania to be priced at $60 and have it sell half as much as if it were priced at $20, then SEGA decides that 2D Sonic is over and they continue to work on weird games with human romance and demons from hell from now on.

Guess Who

Banned

They're not less valuable but they're clearly budgeted very, very differently than games sold at AAA budgets. The market for 2D games exists because they're able to match the price up with the budget of the game with the mass market's expectations of what a game that looks and feels like an SNES or GBA game should cost today.

Tell me this: Do you think that most 2D, sprite-based video games would be able to sell and have a market if sold at $60 a pop? Excluding Mario and even Sonic: Would Fez have been the cult hit it is today if they sold it at $60? What about Axiom Verge?

I want to keep playing these games, and I also want to not have to scrounge up pennies for games that don't cost that much to make as games such as, say, Zelda Breath of the wild and Fallout 4. It is mutually beneficial for game companies and consumers to price their 2D, sprite-based games at prices lower than AAA retail games. More people will buy the game, the company will still make a profit, and most importantly: The market will continue to exist for the games themselves!

I would hate for Sonic Mania to be priced at $60 and have it sell half as much as if it were priced at $20, then SEGA decides that 2D Sonic is over and they continue to work on weird games with human romance and demons from hell from now on.

While I generally agree with your point, a Sonic Mania priced at $60 that sold half as much as if it were $20 would still make more revenue.

EDarkness

I don't have a problem with games being $60 regardless of whether they're 2D or 3D. The overall value of the game should be in the gameplay and the features included in the package. This notion that if a game is 2D it somehow can't provide a $60 experience, is crazy. It's not that I want games to be more expensive, but making a game myself, they're not cheap and if we don't get paid doing it, then we can't continue. The market should decide whether paying $60 is appropriate.

Just my personal opinion on the matter. If you don't want to (or feel it's necessary to) pay $60 for a 2D game, then that is your right to pass on that game. For me, if I felt the game was worth $60, I'd gladly pay it. Sega will decide whether or not the sales justify the cost of creating the game.

Opa-Pa

I'll gladly pay $60 for Sonic Mania if that were the price, but we should also care about publishers pricing their products at realistic ranges so they can sell well instead of worrying about their perceived value.

A couple dozen enthusiasts will definitely bite no matter the price, but if the game bombs because no one outside that group gets it, then what? Not to mention that Sonic Mania clearly doesn't have the same budget as Zelda, so it doesn't /need/ to be $60 anyway.

Yoshi

To me, a new 2D Sonic is more valuable than most AAA releases. Out of all announced games it's on place four of my most wanted list (after Yooka, Mario, Sonic 2017, but in front of Zelda actually), so why would I not be willing to pay full price for it? How much it costs to make the game has no bearing on me. What counts for me is how much fun I expect to have and whether the game comes in physical form for me to keep "forever".

Mr Swine

Banned
To me, a new 2D Sonic is more valuable than most AAA releases. Out of all annaounced games it's on place four of my most wanted list (after Yooka, Mario, Sonic 2017, but in front of Zelda actually), so why would I not be willing to pay full price for it? How much it costs to make the game has no bearing on me. What counts for me is how much fun I expect to have and whether the game comes in physical form for me to keep "forever".

And also don't forget that it's been at least 13 years since the last 2D Sonic Game (Advance games) came out (don't count Sonic 4)

To me, a new 2D Sonic is more valuable than most AAA releases. Out of all annaounced games it's on place four of my most wanted list (after Yooka, Mario, Sonic 2017, but in front of Zelda actually), so why would I not be willing to pay full price for it? How much it costs to make the game has no bearing on me. What counts for me is how much fun I expect to have and whether the game comes in physical form for me to keep "forever".
You're not wrong, however much value the game holds is unique to you. Clearly for me as well, since I'd prefer to buy Sonic Mania over a lot of AAA games. However, I want these games to continue to exist, and I'd be hesitant to support them selling it at a high price when I know there are hundreds of games out there in the market today that are sold at budget, and that's essentially how these games are allowed to exist today.

Yoshi

You're not wrong, however much value the game holds is unique to you. Clearly for me as well, since I'd prefer to buy Sonic Mania over a lot of AAA games. However, I want these games to continue to exist, and I'd be hesitant to support them selling it at a high price when I know there are hundreds of games out there in the market today that are sold at budget, and that's essentially how these games are allowed to exist today.

I think, offering it (near) full price at retail in a low print run, mainly cheaper on download platforms and then (maybe) later on having a budget release would be beneficial to everyone. Collectors, fans, Sega, casual players. Of course I won't complain if it comes to retail at a cheaper price, but I would also appreciate a business model like the above. Of course they will (sadly) not be able to expect a million seller if it is only released at full price at retail, but having a higher price retail option can offer a greater income to them and happier fans as well.

I think, offering it (near) full price at retail in a low print run, mainly cheaper on download platforms and then (maybe) later on having a budget release would be beneficial to everyone. Collectors, fans, Sega, casual players. Of course I won't complain if it comes to retail at a cheaper price, but I would also appreciate a business model like the above. Of course they will (sadly) not be able to expect a million seller if it is only released at full price at retail, but having a higher price retail option can offer a greater income to them and happier fans as well.
For retail? Sure. If it's the difference between $20 and $30, makes sense to me. I just see no sense in inflating the price on such a game without reason to do so. And I love 2D platformers to death!

Why is it sad that they can't release this at $50+ to you, though? Do you not like the idea of not only having to spend less, but more people being able to enjoy the same games you do? It seems mutually beneficial for literally everyone involved to price this game cheaper.

Tizoc

I spied
With my little Eye
A most curious release date
My PC Special Edition on Amazon shows a Late May 2017 release date.
I would VERY much like for this release date to be true but then again, May is the End of Spring so it's likely a place holder date :X

Still
I NEED THIS GAME ALREADY!

I spied
With my little Eye
I would VERY much like for this release date to be true but then again, May is the End of Spring so it's likely a placeholder date :X

Still

Yea, for the past 3 or so weeks, there's been a May 30th placeholder for the game for almost every retailer I've seen. Hopefully they will announce a release date soon.

I WANT THAT COLLECTOR'S EDITION NOW... Hopefully the statue looks just as great as the pictures.

bman94

There's a physical version listed in Australian retailers today.

I'm just hoping 2017 is a legit port this time and not some Dimped/Unleashed Wii version, luckily signs point to it being a port.

I could see special treatment for the Switch version, considering that Puyo Puyo Tetris is not only getting an exclusive digital release in the west (PS4 is retail-only), but Switch is also getting a special retail package with keychains (not a biggie but still neat).

Appropriate since Tetris was ALWAYS most associated with Nintendo (isn't Yamauchi's son-in-law Minoru Arakawa still there?) and Puyo Puyo had also been almost 100% Nintendo-exclusive in NA post-Sega consoles aside from that N-Gage release. I think EU did get the Sony versions of Fever though.

Maybe Sega and Nintendo might get some amiibo and maybe DLC support ala Lost World in 2017, who knows.

You sure that's not the collector's edition? I'll check myself.

Edit: OH MY FUCKING GOD YOU'RE RIGHT!!!

https://ebgames.com.au/nintendo-switch-225645-Sonic-Mania-Placeholder-Price-Switch

225645_packshot_l_03.jpg

AND only Switch came up for it! O_O AND I fucking called the box (if final):

Oh fucking yes. I'm buying this before I even get a Switch.

LordKano

I spied
With my little Eye
I would VERY much like for this release date to be true but then again, May is the End of Spring so it's likely a place holder date :X

Still

May is too far away !!

Mr-Joker

Banned
I spied
With my little Eye

Still

Honestly I don't doubt May release date as when Sega announced Sonic Mania they omitted the fact that it was getting released on the Switch but were fine with Sonic 2017, which doesn't have a release date.

Which led me to believe that Sega had to hold back on that info as that would give clue to when the Switch was launching as they said that Sonic Mania was releasing in Spring 2017.

Yoshi

For retail? Sure. If it's the difference between $20 and $30, makes sense to me. I just see no sense in inflating the price on such a game without reason to do so. And I love 2D platformers to death!

Why is it sad that they can't release this at $50+ to you, though? Do you not like the idea of not only having to spend less, but more people being able to enjoy the same games you do? It seems mutually beneficial for literally everyone involved to price this game cheaper.

It is sad that people are not willing to spend full price for a 2D platformer in most cases, because I love 2D platformers and I want them to be a viable proposition for the retail market. If it was no problem to release 2D platformers not named Mario at full price at retail, we wouldn't be stuck with downloads for 2D platformers most of the time and I would not have to fear not to be able to get Sonic Mania physically.

Opa-Pa

This may sound silly but that placeholder cover art seems way too elaborate to be made by anyone but Sega. Normally when retailers speculate physical version of stuff and put up a page for them, they only use a white background with the game's logo, but this looks like something Sega is using while they come up with a final version.

Either that or some EB Games employee likes Sonic a lot

Believe!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom