• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania Delayed on PC - Now coming August 29th (free Sonic 1 for prepurchasers)

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Absolutely sucks to announce this just a few days before release - awful. BUT, I'd rather them release it in a good state than rush it, ten times out of ten.

That said - locks me in for the Switch version, I guess, since I was going back and forth before this announcement.

Piers

Haven't felt this putrid from news in years. And it's not that big of a delay.
BIURURGHHHHHHH 🤢

*whispers* if it was the Taxman Sonic 1 remake they'd probably get away with this

My first thought was "Well at least that Taxman version is pretty good" before remembering Taxman Sonic 1 and 2 are still only on Mobile. That's a shit compensation for those fans lol

Great ! They're giving away a Megadrive ROM of Sonic 1 which everyone already owns on Steam. No Taxman version = Pre-order cancelled.

loool

I guess this makes the choice between PC and Switch easier.

I hope they don't complain later about PC sales...

Edit: Is the Megadrive Collection version of Sonic 1? Double LOL

Yeah I'm gonna need more than just a genesis ROM to make that up. Unfortunately, I'm in college classes this summer and the delay doesn't fit in my schedule... So Switch it is.

Neoxon

the classic two week PC delay. definitely performance related
That'd make sense, & I'd be perfectly fine with the delay if that's why.

Either way, I'm getting the Switch version, but the PC fans have my condolences for the wait. Hopefully your version turns out to be awesome when it's done.

Jazzem

Ah man that's a shame, getting it on Switch + PC so doesn't affect me but sucks for the PC only folks. Glad they're not releasing it in a bad state at least

PC games are designed to work on various hardware configurations and can be difficult to optimise.

Nah, not really. Quoting Durante on the matter:
I don't know about that. Basically, what you need is 1 instance of each major supported OS and 1 instance of each GPU vendor.

If I, a single-man operation, can do it, then so can anyone who is remotely serious about development. Acquiring suitable testing machines for this purpose is a drop in the bucket in terms of budget compared to even paying 2 months of development work of a single dev.

Hell, if you are a really tiny indie operation, you can even multi-purpose those systems as build servers etc.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I see a lot of folks mentioning Switch, is anyone getting this for anything other than PC or Switch?

I would have killed for this game on a handheld when I was 7 years old. The fact that it's happening now means it wouldn't be fair for young-me to play it on anything that isn't mobile.

I wouldn't have a problem with this if they didn't hide this fact so close to release. They knew possibly months in advance it wouldn't be ready.

I'm probably going to get Switch but I might wait till launch day to check out how it stacks up against the PS4 one. No reason they shouldn't be pretty close though...

jman2050

I wouldn't have a problem with this if they didn't hide this fact so close to release. They knew possibly months in advance it wouldn't be ready.

Um, no. That's a silly thought to even entertain. Especially since all the other versions are coming out on time.

jman2050

It's only delayed for a few weeks. Sounds like they just have some minor things to iron out.

On the contrary, I feel like it's exactly the opposite. If it was just minor issues I have no doubt they'd just release it anyway and fix those issues in various patches because that's how everyone does it.

I suspect something went significantly wrong in the PC build that wasn't caught until very very recently and now they need to fix it and QA the whole thing all over again

Mikey Jr.

I have an alternate reason, but I'll hold off.

I'll go with.......performance....

Also the switch version is coming out Tuesday. Completely unrelated part of my post.

Sucks to be honest but, if they somehow complain about PC sales, that's their fault.

Yeah that Steam version of Sonic Heroes.

Oh wait.

I think he's implying that they should've given out something that doesn't exist in 95% of this audience's library.

Seriously though, who's the person perordering Sonic Mania who doesn't have a copy of Sonic 1? Not only that but the game is constantly on sale for a dollar.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Ah, so this is how they coerce me into double-dipping.

The cynic in me believes this is the exact reason for the PC version delay. =/

"Ah man, I was going to get it on PC, but I'll pick it up on <console here> so I can play it and then PC later."

Top Bottom